Home | Reviews | Helmet | GT

GT Pegasus

Submitted by Beau Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Visor comes off too easily

Bottom Line:
I was riding and my brother clipped my front wheel and I wiped out, my head slamming into the pavement at 20 m.p.h. It felt like I was hit very hard in the face by a soft pillow. I am convinced that it saved my life. I was in love with how cool it looked and how cool my head was in 100 Degree weather. My only complaint is that I didnt buy two of them. I now have a GT Cosmos and it is just as good as the Pegasus, but not as cool looking.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock / Porcupine Ridge

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Bell

Bike Setup:   GT LTS-2

Submitted by Jacob Blount a Weekend Warrior from Auburn, AL USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Strengths:    Keeps my head cool, looks different, extremely lite.

Weaknesses:    It broke when i cracked my head on the ground.

Bottom Line:
IT saved my life. I was doing some Urban assault and the Urban assaulted my head. I fell on my head going about 10-15 MPH off a 4 ft drop. the helmet was cracked up, and it broke, but i came out with a minor concussion. All in all i ate five of the flaming turds that i will give this helmet for keeping me from a cracked skull.

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Bike Setup:   1998 GT LTS, Marzzochi Z1 Bomber, Xt's around, etc.

Submitted by Andrew Lockhart a Cross Country Rider from Treasure Island, FL

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2002

Strengths:    This is a very lightweight helmet. The cooling vents keep my head cooler than no helmet at all in the Florida heat. Sweatband for forhead keeps most of my sweat out of my eyes. The adjustments make it a very comfortable helmet.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
At the clearance price of 40.00 at Nashbar, I bought two of these helmets. GT offers a $10 replacement if it breaks. I am sorry the days that I forget to wear my helmet.

Favorite Trail:   Pinellas Trail

Similar Products Used:   Other older 80's helmets

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Utopia

Submitted by Arturo Navarro a Weekend Warrior from Mexico City

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    Very confortable, cool!

Weaknesses:    Sometimes the visor get off easily

Bottom Line:
This thing saved my life, I smashed my head against a rock at 40km/h !!!

Favorite Trail:   las Llantas

Purchased At:   GT Ajusco

Similar Products Used:   Cratoni Maniac

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed

Submitted by Dave Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Visor to squirly

Bottom Line:
This helmet is the best that i have ever had. It fits extremely well I have had no problems ith it except that the visor comes off in wrecks easily, which can be a good thing (protecting the visor from damage) Although it can be annoying. It also keeps my headvery cool despite the sweltering weather.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock

Similar Products Used:   Bell Fortza Pro

Bike Setup:   GT LTS-2 Full Xt

Submitted by Nate Houle a Cross Country Rider from Lindon, Ut

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2001

Strengths:    The colors are cool, because depending on the way that you look at it, the color changes from yellow to dark maroon. Fits soooo good and lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Might be a little too bold for some people.

Bottom Line:
A great helmet if you want to look out of the ordinary.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock

Similar Products Used:   Bell Evo Pro

Bike Setup:   Ha Ha Ha, it's a specialized for anyone that cares.

Submitted by Saucy a Cross Country Rider from Webster, NY

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Strengths:    Light, good vents, good looks

Weaknesses:    The visor mount is pretty weak

Bottom Line:
This is probably the favorite out of all the helmets I have ever owned. It's not as pretty as my E2, and it's got so much use now that it's kinda smelly and the pads are pretty beat. It's light and well vented. It fits better than any other helmet I have ever put on my head. The only thing I never liked about it is the way they put the visor on. It looks like an afterthought. But that's not enough to take any chilies away. Nice job GT... I don't like your bikes much but this helmet rocks.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Towners Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Giro E2

Bike Setup:   LOL this is a helmet review, who cares about bike setup :)

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Lodi

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Strengths:    The Price Cal the factory they have an over supply and selling them for $15 plus shipping. They are the GT Pegasus Saturn Team helmet !!!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    NONE !!

Bottom Line:
For the price, you better call the factory and order 2!! for this price its a steal. The number 1-800-288-4280 ex. 4831

Favorite Trail:   Any High mountain trail

Purchased At:   ProAction maker for GT

Similar Products Used:   BELL

Bike Setup:   2000 GT XRC5000 Full suspension bike

Submitted by Jana Lingo a Cross Country Rider from Tallahassee, Florida

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2000

Strengths:    Protects your head in a crash

Weaknesses:    Retention system Falls apart, Wacky buckle, Sweatband overwhelmed by Florida Heat and Humidity

Bottom Line:
A Nice Helmet that tries too hard to be different. The Retnetion system snaps together, but comes apart too easily, even when I had it on. The sweatband would douse my glasses with sweat after 5 miles, and I didn't want to try and use a sweatband , giving the problems with the retention system. Also, The straps use a unique buckle and "Junctions"(the things under your ear that connect the front and back straps) that require a screwdriver to adujst! Finally, it's made out of softer foam than other helmets, so it looks fairly bad (scratches) after only a short time

Similar Products Used:   You name it

Submitted by J.R. Johnson a Cross Country Rider from State College, Pa, USA!!!

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2000

Strengths:    Everything- great ventelation- best fit for me ever!!!, comfortable. And great sale price in Nashbar for the Satern Team color only. And great looking.

Weaknesses:    The visor on mine seems to come off when I hit something.

Bottom Line:
This is the best helmet ever for any type of riding. It has all of what a good helmet should have.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Giro, and Bell.

Submitted by Mike O a Cross Country Rider from near Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight = 8.9 oz
Good looks
Good ventilation
Visor is mounted with sturdy pegs that fit into helmet with out using velcro. (isn't there already too much velcro in the world? it's getting to be like duct tape...)
Strap clip works well

Weaknesses:    my niterider headtrip bike light doesn't quite attach right...of course, this is more niterider's problem than GT's.

Bottom Line:
I have to agreed with Dave below, more people should be using this helmet. At 8.9 oz., this is one of the lightest helmets out there, and it's got a decent look to it. Unfortunately, you probably won't find this helmet sitting on a shelf at the bike shop nor find it in a bike mail order catalog. I had to order mine through the local bike shop (LBS) which I don't like to do for something that I'm going to wear. But I took the chance and it paid off. Now if GT could just make their I-drives light like this helmet...

Similar Products Used:   old Bell styrofoam helmet that actually fit my head well but no vents and what a goofy egghead look.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR-XC comp (stock setup except - Terry Liberator saddle, Richey Ti clipless pedals, Team Control/Master tires instead of the sketchy Dirt Control/Master tires that came with the bike)

Submitted by Larry Litwin a Weekend Warrior from Scotia, NY

Date Reviewed: June 18, 1999

Strengths:
I had trouble finding a helmet that was comfortable. This one fit like a glove. Quality seems about the same as the equivalent priced helmets in other brands. Vents keep pretty much the same size outside to inside.

Weaknesses:
You would think, considering the price, that they could throw in a second set of pads. Also, their customer service staff were very arrogant when I called.

Bottom Line:
Good, but nothing special. Unless you have big trouble getting a comfortable fit I'd go with Bell, Giro, or Specialized.

3 months

Bell, Giro, Specialized

N/A

Submitted by John a Cross-Country Rider from Rochester, NY

Date Reviewed: May 27, 1999

Strengths:
light, comfortable, looks great

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I am not a fan of GT's bikes, but this helmet has it all. By far the best helmet available. It really surprises me that more people don't use this helmet, maybe it's because it says GT on it. 5 big happy stars.

3 months

bell

Pegasus Stolen Bike Tracking System

Did anyone else catch the Dateline NBC special last night about bike theft? They profiled a company called Pegasus Technologies that has adapted their stolen vehicle technology for use with bicycles. As of now, its available only to law enforcement agencies, and is currently in use in Sacramento. ... Read More »

ridgeline vs pegasus ti

im looking at one of these as my next bike,i really like the ridgeline and ive already got a singular swift,which i run ss and drop bars and absolutley love it and cant fault it in any way, but now i want a 29er ss with flat or riser bars in ti and im goner run suss forks to. the pegasus is a ... Read More »

Launch - Singular Pegasus Titanium

It's been quite some time in coming but I really think it's worth been getting right. I'm really happy to introduce our first production Ti model, the Pegasus. The geometry is very similar to the well liked Swift, just with a little lower front end for a bit more racy position. The feathery weight o ... Read More »

Singular Pegasus - Ti prototype first pics

Lots of new stuff arriving at the moment, the ones I've been most excited about are the first protos of the Pegasus frame. Geometry is basically the same as the Swift. This is a large size and bare frame weight is 1550g. Made in Taiwan - I hope to have a small production run before the end of the ... Read More »