Home | Reviews | Helmet | Giro

Giro Xen Helmet

4.48/5 (87 Reviews)

Giro Xen Mountain Helmet is the original and now iconic all-mountain helmet. With a smooth low-profile style it hints at skate-style influence, but its big vents, light weight, and expanded rear coverage define it as a high performance helmet for the mode

Submitted by Guerdonian

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, Good Protection from the Sun and the Rocks, Looks Good, Decent Venting

Weaknesses:    When not moving or on slow ascents it can get hot.

Bottom Line:
I have owned two of these over the past 9 years. My favorite mountain helmet as it offers excellent coverage, looks nice, and sticks to your head like glue. I bought a new one 2 seasons ago simply because my sweat ate through the rubber clamping straps. Probably a good thing since helmets are supposed to be replaced every 5 years and that one was 7 years old.

Submitted by Helmetless a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2012

Strengths:    Really nice look (I am a high-end helmet), great air intakes, adjustable visor is a really cool feature, too.

Weaknesses:    Roc Loc 5 or whatever it is called, PLEASE GIRO DOUBLE CHECK REAR ADJUSTMENT SYSTEM FOR FUTURE HELMETS. It tends to release itself when I move my head slightly abrupt in any direction, sometimes I just press it in but sometimes have to stop 4-5 times an hour to re-adjust. The fit doesn't feel as comfy as in previous helmets

Bottom Line:
Wouldn't buy again, I do hope the Xar helmet can be better in such way.

Favorite Trail:   Condor Backcountry

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Ive used Met Kaos, Met Kaos Ultimate, Fox Flux and even my oldie but goldie Prowell F50

Bike Setup:   Banshee Paradox V2

Submitted by frankenfisher a Weekend Warrior from Southern Indiana

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable, looks good, well ventilated

Weaknesses:    The helmets fit system breaks easily

Bottom Line:
The rock lock fit system is the weakness. Where the fit system in other helmets encircles the head the Giro system uses cheap plastic snaps along the sides. When tightening for a snug fit the bands pull against these fasteners causing them to easily break. It seems to be a problem with a lot of these, from what I read.
I bought this helmet because of the top choice from this site. At first it was a great helmet but in the end it was done in by the cheap fit system. I expected much better quality for a helmet in this price range.
Bottom line, you can get a better built helmet for less than the price of this one. I'll give it 3 chillies just because it was comfortable and cool while it worked.

Favorite Trail:   Obannon woods

Similar Products Used:   Fox, UVEX, Lazer

Bike Setup:   frame, 2 wheels and a few other parts

Submitted by epic510 a Weekend Warrior from Pa

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2011

Strengths:    Rear coverage, cool, looks a lot better than a road helmet. Protects your head!

Weaknesses:    A little mushroomy, cost?

Bottom Line:
I crashed hard twice and both times ended up in the hospital with extensive injuries. Those injuries DID NOT include major head trauma. The first time I cracked the foam all the way through. The next I put a huge dent in the side of it. Maybe any helmet would of done the same. Maybe not? Bottom line is this helmet does what is supposed to do. $130 maybe a little pricey but it sure beats sucking your food through a straw...

Favorite Trail:   that one

Purchased At:   Huck n Roll (I think

Similar Products Used:   Various cheap Bell and Giro

Bike Setup:   09 Epic

Submitted by New Potty a Weekend Warrior from Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2010

Strengths:    Very comfortable, great ventilation, great looks, decent quality.

Weaknesses:    None at present.

Bottom Line:
It is superior to my old Louis Garneau helmet in almost every way. Feels great, lets in the air, and looks alright as well. Not as much of a mushroom head as the Garneau. I bought the Matt Chalk/White Weathered Camo. It won't heat up as quickly in the summer sun, and is a bit more visible on the road than some of the darker colours. By the way, it took a mere 3 days to arrive from Amazon, and that was across the Canada/US border. Very impressive!

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   It is a replacement for an old Louis Garneau helmet.

Submitted by pancakemassacre a Cross Country Rider from gainesville, fl

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2010

Strengths:    comfy , lightwieght, good coverage , looks good , and can take some hits without denting or cracking

Weaknesses:    sweat tends to pool in the padding and it ends up dripping into the eyes , sometimes it has looked like a waterfall after riding .

Bottom Line:
good helmet , worth the cheese$$ even if you dont get it at cost.

Favorite Trail:   santos

Submitted by eneff a Weekend Warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2010

Strengths:    Perfect fit and comfortable. Looks good too.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This helmet is really comfortable. I can't think of any way to improve it. And Giro Customer service is excellent (I needed padding to replace what I lost).

Similar Products Used:   Giro Indicator

Submitted by BokorSolo a Weekend Warrior from Prince William, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2009

Strengths:    This is a great fitting helmet and I like the fact that it gives my head a generous amount of coverage and has nice big vents to keep my head cool in the summer. Color is great too.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This was given to me as a gift from a friend who bought a size to small wore it once and found that it was too tight. Better to give it to me than let a perfectly good helmet go to waste. I love this helmet one of my personal favorites.

Submitted by Hentaiboy a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, SA, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2009

Strengths:    Most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. After 5 minutes riding I forget it's even on my head. Stays horizontal (other helmets tip forward with the visor obscuring vision). Lightweight and reasonably cool. Got a great deal on an '08 model. Mine is the 'Fabric G' which really stands out from the masses and their camo helmets.

Weaknesses:    Because there are only 3 sizes, fitting can be a bit tricky. I am right in the middle of M & L (59cm). Tried an L first, looked like a mushroom head. M is perfect with the adjustment system all the way open.

Bottom Line:
It's an expensive helmet and I have my concerns about the strap mounting system but at the price I got it it's a no-brainer.

Purchased At:   Hedgehog Bikes, NZ

Similar Products Used:   Various (cheap) Bell helmets.

Bike Setup:   '09 Stumpy

Submitted by BarBender a Weekend Warrior from NZ

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2009

Strengths:    Aesthetics

Bottom Line:
The last helmet I bought
The only helmet I'll ever buy.

Favorite Trail:   Vegas, Wanaka and Riverhead

Purchased At:   Waitakere Avanti +

Similar Products Used:   Too many to mention

Submitted by Chino a Weekend Warrior from Draper, Utah

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2009

Strengths:    This helmet provides good coverage, doesn't weigh too much and is pretty cool in hot weather. Plus, the adjustment allow for somethin' underneath in cold weather.

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey.

Bottom Line:
This is the best helmet ever. I think it looks the coolest out of all the lids out there. Giro also has some cool color and graphic options available.

Favorite Trail:   Draper (Corner Canyon Trails)

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Giro Havoc, Specialized something or other.

Bike Setup:   2007 Yeti ASR 575.

Submitted by cesalec a Weekend Warrior from Chihuahua (Mex) / Innsbruck (Aut)

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    - it looks cool
- it is light
- ventilation

Weaknesses:    PRICE!!!!

Bottom Line:
I love this helmet, I feel more protected that with my old bell, it doesn´t get as hot as the Bell, and the ventilation is amazing!

This will be my helmet from now on...

I will take 2 value chilis away, only because of the price!

Favorite Trail:   Lanserkopf over the Vogelehütte

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles.

Similar Products Used:   Bell something

Bike Setup:   CUBE LTD CC ´08
Giant Reign 0 ´08

Submitted by tbaier a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    Fit system.

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
You're probably here trying to decide whether its worth it to spend the extra dough on the Xen. The short answer is: probably not.

Is this a really nice helmet? Yes. Obviously it protects well, but more than that you want a helmet to fit right and the fit system is one of the best around. Better than the "center screw" type units that are quite prevalent. Ventilation is decent though its not as good as some reviewers say. Heck, its not even as good as the 10 year old Bell it replaced.

So here's the rub: I compared this to the Hex which is $50 cheaper and its pretty much exactly the same helmet. What exactly makes the Xen worth the money? I can't find it in practice. The only reason I have the Xen is because I got a fantastic deal on it and it wound up being cheaper than the Hex.

In short this is a great helmet, but buy the Hex, save some $$$ and be just as happy.

Submitted by AsianPersuasion a Weekend Warrior from Flushing NY

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, Good coverage and protection, looks pretty good, fits very well.

Weaknesses:    Looks big, a touch heavy. Strap retention pins, came loose on one of them (quality control issue)

Bottom Line:
I AM ON MY FOURTH GIRO XEN!!!

I used to be very hard on gear because I used to be very hard on my riding. My third Xen was actually broken in a crash which I fractured my neck. And now that I am a much more conservative rider, I still rely on the dependability of the Xen for the "just in case" moment.

Helmets are a personal preference with FIT being key. Then Xen fit me as well as any of the Giro line. I stick with Giro as a whole because of it. I think the Roc-Loc has worked well for me since the original series back in my college days. The adjustablity is as good as most people will ever need.

Price is high for styrofoam but do you really want to skimp on what protects your melon? Again, I crashed hard enough, piledriven into the ground from 5+ feet up, fracturing my neck and compressing 3 discs. The helmet did crack as expected but I was able to leave the trail with a mild concussion instead of spilled grey matter. I have seen them on sale for as kow as $60 depending on the size you need. Considering what it protects, price is not really an issue.

Comfort wise, it is comparable to most. A cross between a skate lid and an xc helmet so you feel more stuff on your head in comparison to other xc lids. A little heavier due to the rear coverage. Ventilation is also slightly affected by that as well. Sure, I wish it's as light and vents as well as my road helmet, Giro Atmos. I also wish my bikes weigh as little as my road bike. It's designed use is just different and the penalty is minimal.

I did have 2 bad experience with the Xen. My first one was stolen. Never good. Who would steal a sweatty helmet? My second one had a strap pin come out of the shell. The little pin that keeps the strap attached to the styrofoam ripped out after a very light crash. I glued it back in but a few weeks later, another one did the same. I contacted Giro by email with pictures and after speaking to a rep, and filling out the necessary forms, they sent me a replacement under warranty.

I am sold on this lid. I will probably be replacing my Xedn with yet another Xen when it comes time. I'm just hoping it's later instead of sooner. I don't think this old body can handle the type of riding that warrants a yearly helmet replacement anymore. And I'm not too thrilled with the current season's color selection...

Favorite Trail:   Currently Cunningham

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Various models of the Giro line. Plus various helmets from Trek, schwinn, Bell, 661 and Vigor

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler built for AM
DEAN Ace built for XC

Submitted by Triggerwave a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    Light, good ventilation, adjustable visor, looks great, excellent safety certifications, and it's really well made.

Weaknesses:    Price, it's still a cycle helmet.

Bottom Line:
If you gotta wear a lid in town and you've got the money then Giro Xen is one of the coolest (in both senses) and safest helmets around.

Favorite Trail:   Urban

Purchased At:   Cycle Syrgery

Similar Products Used:   Specialized std. helment - makes youlook a prick into "just cycling along". The Fox Flux - nice but bulky. The Protect Cyphon - nice but bulky.

Bike Setup:   Urban fixie.

Left my Giro Xen helmet and Troy Lee gloves at the Dreamy Draw parking lot

In the haze of my post-ride stoke I managed to leave a grey/blue Giro Xen helmet and some red Troy Lee XC gloves. Yes, I'm an idiot. I went back the next morning after noticing my screw-up and they were no more (checked with ranger also). Please let me know if you found them! Trust me, you do NO ... Read More »

Giro Xen Replacement

I broke the roc lock contraption after a wreck and figured that If i hit my head hard enough to break that then the helmet was done. Im looking for something that FITS the same way. I have a smallish sized head (22" on the money) So I ordered up a foz flux and the helmet fits like crap on my head. I ... Read More »

Paid helmet spam giro xen

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=77762]Large Giro Xen Mountain Bike Helmet White Camo - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] My noggin is too small for the large white camo giro xen helmet I recently purchased. I did use this helmet for about 8 – ... Read More »

Giro Xar vs Xen

Does anyone know if the coverage on the back of the helmet on the new Xar is as good or comes down as far as the Xen it is replacing?Read More »

Lower profile xen or hex

Looking for a new helmet and I like the fit of Giro so it's a tossup between the two. The xen looks like it is smaller but I thought I'd ask which one is lower profile as I can't try them on locally. I really prefer the look of the 661 and the Fox Flux but I don't know if they fit similarly to the ... Read More »