Home | Reviews | Helmet | Giro

Giro Xar Helmet

3.53/5 (15 Reviews)

Giro Xar Bicycling Helmet has long been the favorite for trail riders, enduro racers, or freeriders. Versatile, lightweight, and well ventilated, the Xar is good for your gnarly blast through your favorite trail or an all-day epic through the wilderness.

Giro Xar Helmet Pro Review

Read The Complete Giro XAR Review

The stylish All Mountain helmets are comfortable, with smooth and rounded lines, has good coverage and adjustment systems, and a trick and superb adjustable visor. The helmet incorporates some innovative safety features, such as a three piece shell and a reinforced foam liner, and has a well engineered ventilation system, with 17 vents. It comes in five colors and three sizes, to cover the gamut of styles and fitting.

Submitted by tulsaclint a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2013

Strengths:    Looks
Adjustable visor

Weaknesses:    Channels sweat into your face, down your nose and in your eyes!
Ventilation is no better than other helmets I've tried.

Bottom Line:
I was excited to get a new helmet after my last Giro cracked after a crash. The helmet looks good, though not really any better than other helmets in this category. Upon putting it on, I liked the Roc Lock adjustment in the back. It may be just my head shape, but it didn't feel like it fit snuggly on the top front of my head. I added some pads to help with this. First ride with it I suddenly felt like I was ripped off! I live in an area with hot, humid summers, so riding during late spring to fall is guaranteed to get you drenched in sweat. The padding in the helmet looks like it would absorb a lot of sweat and keep it out of your face, but the pads kind of form 3 channels that converge a couple inches above your nose. This design pours sweat down the middle of your forehead, down your nose and into your eyes! I am constantly wiping sweat off of my forehead and it literally drips in streams off of my nose and from my forehead. You can move the muscles in your face/forehead and it will squeeze the pad, pouring a stream of sweat down your face or all over your bike lol. I'm surprised I never crashed due to constantly wiping the sweat from my forehead. I did remedy this somewhat with a cheap headband, but it's another thing around my head adding to the heat. I called Giro to see if they possibly had a pad redesign because I was sure they had heard complaints from others. They said it was the first time they heard of it! So much for help there, I guess I will just have to get another helmet, I won't go another hot season with this one. I really liked Giro and had helmets of theirs in the past but the Hex has made me look to other brands.

TLDR version: Poor padding design, sweat wicking, stay away!

Similar Products Used:   Other Giro helmets

Submitted by Erez R.

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2012

Strengths:    Non. had more ventilated helmets in my life...

Weaknesses:    The helmet channel the sweat into the eyes/sunglasses. poor product!

Bottom Line:
Dont buy!

Submitted by Dibbs

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2012

Strengths:    This helmet fits me like a glove. Also, i am very pleased with the placement of the straps, they dont bother my ears like other high end helmets do.

Weaknesses:    If anything I would have to say the price, but my brain is worth it to me.

Bottom Line:
Ive had this helmet for a few months now and I would say I am more than happy with it. I once spent a good hour in a bike shop not knowing it was still strapped to my head because I forgot is was on because it is so comfortable. Ive had many other helmets from Giro and this is by far the best for me.

Submitted by Robert

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2012

Strengths:    Mine was a 2011 model. Great looking, outstanding fit, nothing broke or fell apart on it. The padding is easy to remove and clean. RocLoc makes for quick adjustments when you're wearing something like a cap under the helmet or when you aren't. Very adjustable straps to get the fit perfect. Most importantly, it does it's job in a crash!

Weaknesses:    The helmet does seem to channel sweat onto your sunglasses or into your eyes on longer/hotter rides. Not a problem on shorter/cooler rides. The adjustment for how far down the RocLoc sits on the back of your head is not very positive and will shift on its own.

Bottom Line:
Had the helmet for 2 years, 60-80 miles/week, in blazing hot to freezing Montana weather. The ease of adjustment while keeping the fit perfect is a real selling point on this helmet. It's very light, I've done 24 hour races on a single speed with choppy courses and never knew it was there. It moves plenty of air but bugs will get into it pretty easily too.

Recently had a big crash where the impact was hard enough to fracture my right shoulder blade. The helmet took a big hit on the right side, crumpling it in. No concussion, no head injury. Thanks, Giro!

I'm getting ready to buy another one, right now.

Submitted by hags707 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2012

Strengths:    Looks, fit, weight

Weaknesses:    Sweat is not held in by liner always running or dripping(my 40$ giro didn't do this). Price if not on sale

Bottom Line:
I like the fit and looks, the only thing I don't like is the liner allows sweat to run down my forehead and drip out. I was not going to get this helmet but got a really great deal so went with it. I am happy with it

Purchased At:   United Cycle

Bike Setup:   2011 Element 50 MSL

Submitted by VegasWind a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2012

Strengths:    The Orange is just awesome - but not pictured in this review..

Weaknesses:    Roc Loc 5 system, chin strap

Bottom Line:
I hate to admit it, but got this helmet for its looks, the orange is awesome. The chin strap seems to not be very comfortable, but I haven't worn a helmet that doesn't feel like a "helmet" either. If I can't feel that it is there, I doubt it is going to protect me much. No pressure points for me, and the padding feels great. Yes sweet will roll down your face. If you don't have sweat rolling down your face, you aren't riding hard enough.

Now the major problem...not sure if it is just bad luck with me but I am on my second Xar. On both my Xars' the Loc Rok 5 mechanism has broke. No crashes, no abuse, simply rode it, put in on the back seat of my car (left in the garage, out of sun) went to put it on and the twisty/tightening piece of this high speed Loc Roc 5 system explodes, breaks and crumbles. I have only been able to find a couple other people who have had the same issues on the internet, so I am hoping it was just bad luck But 2 of the same defects...hope this 3rd one holds up. If not, I think Giro needs to do more than replace it.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Submitted by bishop29er

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2012

Strengths:    Looks Good
Decent coverage
Roc loc works well
Xstatic padding doesn't stink

Weaknesses:    Not very light
Ventilation just ok
chin strap

Bottom Line:
Picked up this helmet for under a hundred bucks to replace my el cheapo giro road bike helmet. Had high hopes for a helmet this expensive, but I've been a little disappointed. The best thing about this helmet is that it looks sweet(especially in the orange). The roc loc system does a good job cinching the helmet onto your noggin, but the chin strap adjustments are bulky and not very comfortable. The biggest dissapointment about this helmet is that sweat literally pours out the front of it and into my face. I'm not sure if this is a ventilation issue or because there isn't much padding at all.
I'm going to hold onto this helmet for a while, but only because it was so expensive. I really cant tell a comfort difference between this and my old cheap helmet.
If I were to do it over again, I'd try the Uvex xp100.

Submitted by eyun a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    Great venting, coverage and light weight (for an AM helmet)

Weaknesses:    Not as snug a fit as the Feature

Bottom Line:
I bought this as an upgrade to my Hex. While it has a better fit than the Hex, occasionally I feel some pressure points. I have also tried on the Feature, which is a super comfortable AM helmet, but feel this one is better for warm summer riding due to better venting. Still think I might pick up the Feature for winter rides though.

Similar Products Used:   Giro Hex

Bike Setup:   Niner Rip 9. Fox suspension. Avid X9 drivetrain

Submitted by Hobbs305 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2012

Strengths:    Vents great, light weight, fit is incredible (for me).

Weaknesses:    None at this time.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Xar a few months ago. It replaced my E2 that broke after years of use. The Xar is very close to the E2 but fits better. The RocLoc system is updated from my old E2 and I am impressed on how it fits so well.

Like a previous review, I do tend to have sweat run into my eyes more now than with my E2, however, it's not that bad. The Xar does vent well and it's very noticeable on downhills.

This helmet works well and I recommend it to anyone looking for a helmet that breathes well.

Similar Products Used:   Giro E2, Xen

Bike Setup:   2012 Trek EX8

Submitted by jboyd122 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    The Roc Loc 5 makes a very comfortable fit. When I'm riding in cold weather I can easily adjust it larger to fit my riding cap. When it's warm out I just make a turn on the knob and instantly it fits perfect.

Even after a year of wear the padding has no odor. This has been a big issue with other helmets I've owned.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I highly recommend this helmet for anyone looking for a good quality helmet with a great fit system and padding. I wear this helmet on and off road. I do not ride with the visor, which is easily removable.

Submitted by Silas Bussmann a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2012

Strengths:    Fit, Appearance, ventilation

Weaknesses:    The clasp mechanism looks a little underbuilt

Bottom Line:
It's a great helmet. Didn't realize what I was missing. I was using a beloved road helmet - bell array - for mtn rides and was feeling overheated and the helmet seemed to move around more then I liked. Switched to the Xar after I found it on sale and really like it. I think the padding is not really a concern as long as the fit mechanism works to keep the helmet in position which it does incredibly well!

Favorite Trail:   White mesa

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Louis Garneau, forgot the model. Bell Array, Giro xen

Bike Setup:   not relevant

Submitted by Simon a Weekend Warrior from Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2012

Strengths:    Great fit for me, light and very good protection. I took a pretty good hit and the side of it was very banged up, however not a scratch nor any head trauma whatsoever. The interior part was perfectly intact while the foam cave in quite a bit from hitting a rock. I am very impressed with it and instantly purchased an identical new one to replaced the old one. I really like the adjust mechanism, quick and easy to operate on the fly.

Weaknesses:    Honestly none for me. Some say is heavy, but after what I experienced I take a little more weight knowing it was able to handle such an impact.

Bottom Line:
Looking back at the dynamic of my crash, this helmet save me from some serious head trauma and I highly recommend it. I also have quite a big head and the fit is great. I have the L size and plenty of adjustments. At times I use a camera mounted on it and it is very easy to make it snug so it will not vibrate too much. Great helmet overall.

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Santacruz TallBoy Carbon, SRAM XX, Easton EC90 wheels, Easton Monkey Bar, Look pedals.

Submitted by odin a Cross Country Rider from SOCAL

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2011

Strengths:    Looks great,adjustable visor system,Roc Loc 5 adjuster

Weaknesses:    padding!!!padding!!!padding!!!padding is just too thin!
paint scratch and chip easily!

Bottom Line:
I sold my 661 Recon and bought the Xar simply because I thought the Xar looks better.
Once I got the Xar after 1 hour of riding sweat started to drip down into my eyes, padding is very thin and it does not go all around your forehead. After my first ride I noticed some scratches that shouldn’t had been there,the Xar got scratched pretty easily I didn't crash or anything like that it was scratches caused by branches, on my 661 recon after 2 months of riding it still looked like new. The Xar could have been a winner if only the paint quality would have been better and the X-Static padding would have been thicker and covered more in the front and back!

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   661 Recon,Giro xen.

Bike Setup:   2011 Yeti 575

Submitted by OldManBike a Weekend Warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort, coverage, aesthetics.

Weaknesses:    Heavier than a roadie helmet.

Bottom Line:
Quality helmet, feels great on my noggin at first, seems to have decent ventilation although I haven't worn it through the summer. The rocloc is easy, fast, and effective. Well padded inside. Visor adjusts easily and stays put.

But ... not the helmet for me. Its heavy enough (376g in large) to hurt my chicken neck within 1/2 hour. For me, the extra 50 grams or so from my old Pneumo makes all the difference.

If you've never had neck discomfort from helmets, and you're looking for a good AM lid, this is one to look at.

Purchased At:   joyride

Similar Products Used:   Various Giro & Bell, most recently Pneumo.

Bike Setup:   SC BLT, Camber

Submitted by asanathema a Cross Country Rider from cumberland md usa

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2011

Strengths:    Weight, vents, rocloc 5. Having only recently rode with fullface these were the selling points. If you've got the cash to drop for "improved" tech you are going to get this.

Weaknesses:    I guess it's the giro fit, the tri lock chin strap is odd to get positioned right. Could be worse though just not use to it yet. If your head is not giro shaped you won't like the fit..... test them in the store to find out.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't pay full price for one, weight is a main reason as is the orange color I got this. Needed a new non fullface helmet, as mine ate sell dot approbed, had some neck issues pop up randomly so I wanted light weight.

This has got that covered. 17 vents? I felt air flow moving at a good clip might notice it as heat reduction in full sun climbing and descending. Haven't put on a light yet and will review again with more details, but I like it. The significant other likes it as well.

Favorite Trail:   ft. ord

Similar Products Used:   None, closest would be a protec snowboarding helmet.

Bike Setup:   Custom epic expert.

Help Me Buy a High End Trail Helmet. POC, XAR, 661?

I am currently using the Specialized S3 for trail riding. While it is really light, I don't feel like it is protective enough - not to mention it is a little uncomfortable. I want to buy a very light trail lid with good back of the head coverage. The three that look interesting are POC race, XA ... Read More »

Spam: Moonlander derailleur mount, SRAM XO rear derailleur and a Giro Xar

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=84504&title=giro-xar-helmet-sram-xo-r-derailleur-moonlander-f-derailleur-rmount&cat=30]Giro Xar Helmet, Sram XO R. Derailleur, Moonlander F.Derailleur rmount - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url]Read More »

Any great deals on Giro Xar MTB Helmets..??

I just crash my helmet (with me in it) the other day so i'm looking for a replacement.. Size large if makes any difference. Thanks in advanceRead More »

Giro Xar or Athlon

Can anyone tell me if the Xar would be too hot a helmet for summer riding cross country? Would the Athlon be a better choice?Read More »

Giro Xar vs Xen

Does anyone know if the coverage on the back of the helmet on the new Xar is as good or comes down as far as the Xen it is replacing?Read More »