Home | Reviews | Helmet | Giro

Giro Torrent II Helmet

4.29/5 (7 Reviews)

Giro found a way to make the Torrent even lighter, so that's exactly what they did. For 2004, the Torrent wraps 18 vents in a sleek new in-mold shell that's available in a stunning range of colors. Acu Loc Universal Fit provides a comfortable fit for most adults (54-61cm or 21.25-24").

Submitted by matt a Weekend Warrior from bucks, pa, usa

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2006

Strengths:    Great fit; looks good; excellent value.

Weaknesses:    None that I know of.

Bottom Line:
Fits me very well, so I bought a second for my 9 yo son and his fits him very well also. Gotta love the universal fit. Helmet looks very good. Visor works fine. Ventilation is good but not great. I suppose if I wanted the lightest airiest helmet on the market I could pay $100 but why waste the cash. Not the lightest, the best looking or the best ventilated but you get a great all around helmet for the price. Would recommend to anyone who asks.

Favorite Trail:   Delaware Canal Towpath

Purchased At:   Performance retail store

Similar Products Used:   Giro Hammerhead, Giro Indicator

Bike Setup:   K2 hybrid.

Submitted by Sam a Weekend Warrior from Gulfport, MS

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2005

Strengths:    Price, Comfort, Weight, Ventilation, Fit

Weaknesses:    Not much to say. Visor allows sunspots through.

Bottom Line:
Great helmet for the price. I bought a Bell Adrenaline for $20, and had it melt in my car after sitting in only 75F weather. This Giro, with the in-mold technology bonding the foam to the shell, hasn't deformed a bit, even after sitting in my car in much warmer temperatures.
It's comfortable, especially if you take advantage of the extra pads included. I found I needed a bit of extra support just behind my temples.

Purchased At:   Academy Sports

Similar Products Used:   Bell Adrenaline

Bike Setup:   Giant Cypress LX

Submitted by Ev a Cross Country Rider from Edm, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2005

Strengths:    Lots of holes. Light!

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome helmet. It is light and has good value. It works awesome for mountain biking and is just.....
GREAT!

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycle on sale.

Submitted by Rob Capelle a Downhiller from Montreal, QC, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2005

Strengths:    Its light, very adjustable, it fits a hat and earphones, and i dont even notice in wearing it, i can feel the aerodynamics working when going over 50km/h

Weaknesses:    its sometimes a bit tight on the jaw, the visor doesnt work

Bottom Line:
if your thinking on doing extreme DH biking like whistler this isnt the thing your looking for, this is more for in the city, its great for in the city i feel safe doing 4 foot jumps onto gravel. more then that this isnt the thing.

Favorite Trail:   havnt found one yet, sucks

Purchased At:   Mc Whinnies

Similar Products Used:   its the best haha

Submitted by r. grenier a Weekend Warrior from geneva, ny, usa

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2005

Strengths:    comfortable, light, durable. don't even know it's on my head sometimes.

Weaknesses:    it gets to be a little uncomfortable at times from it rubbing on the top of my head, but the extra padding that came wtih the helmet took care of that.

Bottom Line:
great helmet, does it's job and doesn't cost much.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere i can ride

Purchased At:   dick's sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   mountainsmith, stock.

Submitted by Tim Marcy a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2004

Strengths:    Comfy, (hardly know it's up there, light enough for the price and it has good airflow. Plus, it doesn't move around on my head like the 'old' Bell I've been using.

Weaknesses:    I haven't really found any issues with this helmet. It definitely fits better than my Bell but I think I may need to add some padding for best fit.

Bottom Line:
The Giro suspension system works good. It has decent airflow for the dollar range so for me this helmet is a good value. If your'e looking for a $40 brain bucket, this would be a good choice.

Favorite Trail:   Phil's

Similar Products Used:   My old Bell which will now go into retirement.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale M600 with hardtail and hardfork. Ouch! Will go to bike with front shock - soooon.

Submitted by Karen a Weekend Warrior from Stamford, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight. Doesn't get too hot. Room to pull ponytail through in back.

Weaknesses:    Really makes a disaster out of my bangs, but don't all helmets do that?!

Bottom Line:
A great value for the price. It's comfortable, too. It comes in several colors, but I couldn't match the same color blue as my bike, so I selected go-with-everything black.

Favorite Trail:   Still searching

Purchased At:   Cycle Center of Stamford

Similar Products Used:   Ancient styrofoam helmet.

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500