Home | Reviews | Helmet | Giro

Giro Pneumo Helmet

4.75/5 (59 Reviews)
Weight : 9 oz/256 g MSRP : $149.95

The original Pneumo built a loyal following of Giro fans all over the world. So loyal, we knew it was time to bring it back. This season marks the return of the popular helmet, with a timelessly sleek, organic look. A new and improved fit system combines with feature-light slim-line webbing and an increased number of strategically placed vents to create one of the most breathable, stylish and easy-to-wear helmets on the pavement, singletracks or velodrome.

Submitted by Veda a Racer from Indonesia

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    Light, cool with multiple vents, fits well.

Weaknesses:    Side straps brushes too much against my ears.

Bottom Line:
A good product. Dunno how well it protects the head but for the weight it's quite comfortable.

Purchased At:   Hong Kong

Similar Products Used:   So many to list

Bike Setup:   Spark 30 + Titus X

Submitted by StinkyPete a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2010

Strengths:    Very lightweight.
Very well-ventilated.

Weaknesses:    Interior plastic wore out very quickly (not impacts either), rendered helmet useless after one year. Padding at forehead could have been better too.

Bottom Line:
Lightweight, well-ventilated, falls apart quickly.

Favorite Trail:   Memorial Park

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Similar Products Used:   Not use Bell Variant for MTB and S-Works for Road.

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Deluxe.
Specialized Tricross Expert (put in WTB saddle).

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, California USA

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2009

Strengths:    -Removable visor
-Washable padding
-Fairly light
-RocLoc ensures snug fit

Weaknesses:    -High MSRP...but when it comes to saving your brain bucket- cost is no object.

Bottom Line:
Saved my life TWICE:

1) 30mph night time crash(dim lights), broke collarbone and impacted head.
2) Struck by car six weeks later and re-injured collarbone, broke rib and shoulder blade too. Second hard head impact on asphalt rendered helmet unsafe.

Always make sure you get Giro's 30% off crash replacement discount, when the helmet is toast. I used the $13,000 insurance settlement to get a new carbon-reinforced Giro Atmos...which already survived two small crashes, without damage.

ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET...even when test-riding. People have actually DIED in crashes less than 5mph!!!

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park(24 Hours of Adrenalin Course)

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   Bell Volt

Bike Setup:   19-pound Cannondale XC disc hardtail

Submitted by terry a Racer from japan

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    looks good, fits good

Weaknesses:    weak

Bottom Line:
The first one I purchased was great until I found that the inner shell had cracked. I quickly took it to my LBS who sent it away and got a replacement, September 2006. While I was waiting for the replacement to come I purchased a LAS which is awesome. So when I got the replacement I didn't use it often because the LAS was a better fit. The other dday I was cleaning the new Giro, after a ride, and found it had cracked in the same place as the first one. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH am trying to get another replacement wil let you know what happens latter.

Similar Products Used:   Giro Pneumo

Bike Setup:   Trek madone

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC, Mecklenburg

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2007

Strengths:    Light, plenty of ventilation,doesn't interfer with vision when riding aero position.

Weaknesses:    Thin pads separate from velcro backing, plastic adjuster snaps off easily, poor quality control

Bottom Line:
Great all-around helmet for price paid (on sale plus coupon plus free shipping.) If I were paying retail, I'd buy a Spuik with full inner pad and netting, or a LAS Haxial. Pnuemo worth $90 but not $160.

Purchased At:   Performance on-line

Similar Products Used:   Bell Phi

Bike Setup:   Orbea Marmolada with Campy Veloce; Marin Muirwoods (recently stolen from my garage)

Submitted by erik a Racer from ladera Ranch, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2006

Strengths:    light.
breathes.
durable.

Weaknesses:    inner pads come apart after about 6 months...and I use a headsweat every ride.
why don't they come with replacement pads?

Bottom Line:
great helmet

Purchased At:   The Path Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Bell Xray Giro Switchblade

Bike Setup:   mtb, road, etc

Submitted by Claro Evangelista a Weekend Warrior from Woodside NY USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2006

Strengths:    It breaths! Extremely comfortable. I'm happy with this purchase.

Weaknesses:    Although this product looks really good, upon close examination, quality control personnel in China took a day off. For a helmet that cost over $100, it could definitely be better. There was a lot of imperfections on the gray material. I hope these imperfections will not affect the product's performance when the time comes when I bang my head to a tree or pavement.

Bottom Line:
It was a windy day today and the helmet made some noise similar to a slight opening of the car's windsheild or something like that. It keep my head cool and dry. Definitely comfortable and the fit is exceptional. However, quality control is not acceptable at this price range. The gray materail of my $20 Schwinn was better in the area. But I will still recommend this product because of looks, comfort, and fit.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell Woods in Woodbury

Purchased At:   Nashbar Direct, Inc.

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn - Target special.

Bike Setup:   Trek Session 77

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2006

Strengths:    Incredibly light and airy; looks small and not at all dorky or trying-too-hard-to-be-cool as most helmets do.

Weaknesses:    Incredibly expensive, but... with this one, you will never be tempted to just not wear it.

Bottom Line:
Everybody says how light this helmet is, but I always take reviews with a grain of salt... on my first downhill ride with this thing, I thought "whoah!" It's completely true. The aerodynamics are just unbelieveable. Now I can never go back to anything else. Also, having grown up immediately before the days that bike helmets became common/obligatory, it's hard to shake off the "dorkiness" feel of them - but this one takes care of that completely.
The fitting system is easy to adjust and hugs my head well. I never have the feeling it's going to slip or rattle around.
Finally, this thing is almost absurdly expensive, but I just broke down and shelled out the cash... I figure with this one, I will resist the temptation to go without a helmet!

Favorite Trail:   working on that

Purchased At:   EMS

Similar Products Used:   Trek Interval

Submitted by Ernie a Weekend Warrior from Valrico, Fl, USA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2006

Strengths:    light weight, good venting, great fit

Weaknesses:    not cheap

Bottom Line:
I've used this helmet for both road and XC. I have had it since 1999. Fit look and everything have been great. Even better......busted my first helmet today. Did a full endo into a shallow swamp. Hit my head on a rock and busted the helmet in 2. The Pneumo did its job and saved me a ride out on a helecopter. I have had no problems with it for 7 years and when called upon it performed. I am a Giro customer for life!

Purchased At:   Bike Works, Brandon

Similar Products Used:   cheap ones,

Bike Setup:   KHS hardtail, XT, Manitou SX
Eddy Merckx Titanium, Ultegra,

Submitted by Robert a Racer from Scipio, Indiana, USA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2006

Strengths:    Customer service is impeakable; even off warranty!!! Comfortable even after 10 hour endurance rides! Breathes very well. Protective (what else is a helmet for?) and durable. Very well balanced performace.

Weaknesses:    Sweat pads wear out every 6 months (probably because of my high-and-tight hair not the product). Little costly but aren't your brains worth it?

Bottom Line:
This is the best helmet on the market for the money! There are less costly helmets but the don't fit or protect as well. I wear out the sweat pads (probably with my short hair style) but Giro always sends new ones for free, EVEN AFTER THE WARRANTY WAS OUT AND I'VE TRIED TO TALK THEM INTO CHARGING ME, THEY'RE STILL FREE!!! YOU CAN'T TOP THAT KIND OF SERVICE!!! This helmet has been with me for about 3 years and over 35K miles and I still love it every time I put it on!

Purchased At:   once Columbus Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   Low end Trek and Bell helmets

Bike Setup:   06 Trek Madone 5.2 Team sock other than Selle Italia SLR saddle, 05 Trek XO1 custom with full Ultegra, 05 Trek 5000 custom with mostly XT and custom Stan's ZTR Olympic wheels

Submitted by Sprocketeer from Astoria, Queens, New York City

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2005

Strengths:    Even standing still, I can feel the air on my scalp--a first while wearing a helmet. No more positioning my head to get a blast of cool air while riding.

Weaknesses:    If you have a problem with this helmet there must be something wrong with your head.

Bottom Line:
I'll try to highlight what no one else has in this review.

It doesn't take more than a few rides to realize this is the best helmet you could buy--maybe there are 1 or 2 other Giro helmets that fit the bill but I believe this must be the best.

Just to add to the verasity of my statement below, my first day wearing this helmet was on a 100K ride, on a mountain bike, in 90 F weather.

Most any certied helmet will save you're skull in a bad crash--that's what they're made to do--but this helmet wont cook your brains.

Normal human body temperature is 98.6 degrees Farenheit (about 36 C). And in humans, the head is the chief place for body heat to escape.

Now imagine what temperature it is inside a badly or even fairly well-ventilated helmet. It has to be at least 110 degrees on in 90 degree weather in there--if your body hit that temperature, it would kill you in about 30 minutes.

This helmet does what very few helmets do, though many make the claim. It cools your head, and hense your entire body. That means less sweat, less water to carry and consume, less exhaustion from heat and sweat, and less throbbing headaches from both the heat and resulting discomfort.

Even standing still, I can feel the air on my scalp while wearing the Pneumo.

And this helmet is absolutely comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   Bloomberg, you have to do something about trails and bike paths in this city--the lanes are useless

Purchased At:   Online at www.performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   Giro (old styrofoam helmet with nylon cover), Selev Alien 2000 (Italian, bought in Japan, probably not available in the States, great helmet)

Bike Setup:   Relative facts: I'm a sweater. I sweat buckets. Way more sweating than more than a handful of other people I know. Must be genetic, cause they're all white.

Submitted by dale a Cross Country Rider from santa cruz

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2005

Strengths:    Fits Great,light weight,excellent retention with new Roc Loc. lots and lots of ventilation

Weaknesses:    none at present

Bottom Line:
This a great helmet,light weight,and the fit is excellent with the new roc loc,

Favorite Trail:   Anything Dirt