Home | Reviews | Helmet | Giro

Giro Phase Helmet

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)

The Giro Phase Mountain Helmet features an In-Mold polycarbonate shell with EPS liner to provide maximum protection while emphasizing comfort as well. With 24 Vents, this helmet will keep the user cool for maximum riding efficiency. Additionally, the included snap-fit 2 visor is also provides excellent protection. To create the perfect fit, this helmet features the Giro Acu Dial 2 adjustment system. Finally, with six stylish color options, there is a helmet for everyone!

Submitted by Thomas a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2012

Strengths:    So l will start by saying this, the helmet looks great with the blue, white, and black design. The fit is very nice and snug when I request it; depending if I'm wearing a HeadSweats band or my Cannondale cap (for winter rides). Speaking of snuggest. One complaint that I have like another reviewer mentioned was the tension wheel that tightens/loosens the helmet. It is sensitive.

Weaknesses:    As previously mentioned then tension wheel on the back is sensitive. Not great when trying to make minor adjustments during a ride. This situation would almost definitely require stopping. Ventilation is not fantastic. Lots of sweat build-up in the front, above the forehead. This has forced sweat into my eyes and riding glasses. Let me add this could be due to high humidity combined with torturous heat here in south Texas.

Bottom Line:
For the money this is a great helmet. Unless you visit the local Cannondale shop here in San Antonio where I was told this was a cheap helmet because I didn't fork out $150+; but just for the record he was referring to the ventilation issue. Okay, still. Sorry I am not wealthy, but I spent $70.00, and that was within my budget. Don't be fooled, this is a good helmet made by a very well known company.

Purchased At:   BikeBling.com

Similar Products Used:   Giro Hex

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll (2004)

Submitted by COTarHeel a Weekend Warrior from Boulder

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2011

Strengths:    Fits well, stays put, good venting

Weaknesses:    Acu Dial thing is sensitive

Bottom Line:
I really like this helmet, especially since I was able to snag it on sale. It is a vast improvement from my old Specialized lid. Vents really well and stays in place, really the only two things I want my helmet to do besides protecting my noggin.

Two things bug me about it though, but they aren't really a big deal. The first is that the adjustment dial in the back is really sensitive and will loosen up at the slightest touch to any part of that little gizmo (not just the dial itself). Second, the pads in the front, for whatever reason, collect sweat like crazy and then it drips down my face, especially if the helmet gets pushed against my forehead. I've never had this happen with any other helmet I've used.

Those minor things are my only knocks on it though. When I need to replace it I'll definitely go for another Phase.

Favorite Trail:   whatever is next

Submitted by mtbmc82 a Weekend Warrior from Missoula, MT

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable, well ventilated, easily adjustable, protects well

Bottom Line:
This helmet was great while it lasted. The best part is that it saved my life yestreday. Taking a massive header into a rock garden is not a fun way to find out your helmet works, but that's how I found out this one works. I have to get a new helmet now because the foam broke on impact. While the rest of my body feels like it's been in a train wreck, my head feels great. I will be able to go to the store today to buy another Giro Phase today because one saved my life yesterday.

Favorite Trail:   Rattlesnake NRA

Similar Products Used:   Bell Slant, Giro Indicator

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock Jamis XCT 3.0

Submitted by ape a Weekend Warrior from Socorro NM

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2010

Strengths:    Good fitment, Price compared to other Giros. Good amount of adjustability.

Weaknesses:    Ratcheting adjuster on the back is sometimes hard to tighten, without accidentally pushing the release button. Also, the chin strap seems to keep loosening, but that could just be the helmet breaking in.

Bottom Line:
I have a large head. Like, really large. Like, most baseball caps and L/XL hats don't really fit me. I was happy to find that pretty much all of Giro's helmets, even with just a quick "try-it-on" adjustment, fit me very well! I picked the Phase for its low price (though I really liked the Hex and Xen too). If you have a huge head like me, Giro seems to be the way to go!

Bike Setup:   some old clunker

Submitted by Goatologist a Downhiller from hood river, or, usa

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Strengths:    lightweight, multiple sizes available, cool

Weaknesses:    not adjustable visor

Bottom Line:
Used the dividend and a broken encinial at REI for this one, good deal, solid helmet, feels like it has more coverage than other helmets without going for a full face. comfortable stuff.

Favorite Trail:   mitchell ridge