Home | Reviews | Helmet | Giro

Giro Hex Helmet

4.27/5 (48 Reviews)
Weight : 310 grams MSRP : $132.49

Giro Hex Bicycle Helmet is the mid-range helmet with top-of-the-range features like Roc Loc 5, POV Visor, and 21 Massive vents. Perfect fit, Excellent Ventilation and a visor that has up to 15 degrees of adjustment. The Hex is also available in an exclusive XL size to give you the best possible helemt with the best possible fit.

Submitted by Ray Wall

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2014

Strengths:    Fit, comfort, protection in a crash

Weaknesses:    To some extent cost. All helmets could and should be about half the price

Bottom Line:
Just bought my second Hex. The first was destroyed last week when I landed on the back of my head on the road following a fall. Concussion, but nowhere near as bad as it would have been without it. I would hope that all helmets work like this but I don't want to find out so that's why I bought another.

Submitted by Mike Nix a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2013

Strengths:    Fits my head awesome. Very comfy and it looks cool as hell compared to a lot of other helmets I've tried (which look ridiculous on my head).

Weaknesses:    The straps are a little long and generic. I wish they were more substantial and comfortable, but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

Bottom Line:
This is my first Giro helmet, I like the way it fits and it feels very lightweight. It's also my first All-Mountain helmet; I had road helmets in the past or sport helmets. I would recommend this helmet and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Favorite Trail:   Waverly Park

Duration Product Used:   2hrs

Purchased At:   Bicyle Sport

Similar Products Used:   Bell helmets, Bontrager helmets.

Bike Setup:   29er hardtail, 29er full suspension. XC racing.

Submitted by joboo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2013

Strengths:    Lite weight.
Looks.
Comfort.

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
1st new brain bucket purchase in 10+ years!!
Awesome fit, lite and comfortable.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2013

Strengths:    Looks awesome, I love the matte finish, had it for three hard-riding years and it still looks new.

Weaknesses:    Durability (structure, not appearance), uncomfortable despite all of the gimmicks to make it more comfortable, price.

Bottom Line:
I really wanted to give this 10 flamin chilis! I wish I could, but I was really disappointed with my Hex. It looks awesome and you feel cool as soon as you strap it on! People recognize the Hex and they compliment you when you wear it. The matte finish keeps it from scratching when you hit hanging tree branches or accidentally drop it on the ground or whatever punishment you want to dish on it. The problem is the durability of the comfort structure on the inside. The Hex comes with a system of plastic straps which make minimal contact with your skull to preserve comfort and tighten down to fit your head better. I could never get the thing dialed in quite right. It never felt "right", parts of the system were always rubbing on my head uncomfortably, and if I tried to fix it it just got worse. I stuck some tissue into the spots that bothered me most, and that helped, but it was a hassle. Also, less than a year after I bought the helmet, one of the plastic straps broke. I didn't abuse the helmet or anything, I just picked it up one day and noticed it was broken. Giro honored the 12 month warranty and sent me a new set of straps to install, but then the new set of straps broke too, exactly a year after sending me the replacement! Sadly, I will not be purchasing another Giro helmet. I can't recommend it.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Submitted by jjvance a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2012

Strengths:    Great value, bunch of color options, adjustable visor, extra coverage on back of skull, found the fit to be excellent.

Weaknesses:    Might be warm for warm weather / summer conditions

Bottom Line:
This is the best mtn bike helmut I have purchased. I have a mdeium size head and found the adjustable roc / fit worked great! Comes with extra padding in the event you need some tweaking. I ride in Central Oregon so temps are never an issue. Like the look (all mountain), like the fit, and I trust the protection.

Favorite Trail:   Phils Trail system in Bend, OR

Duration Product Used:   3-years

Purchased At:   friend

Bike Setup:   2006 Kona Primo Dawg. SLX brakes, SLX R&F derailers, deity grips and pedals, maxxis tires, Marchocci Bomber Z1 Drop-Off forks, Fox Float PR rear, Solid bike and still love it today. Will get the 2013 Kona Cadabra next.

Submitted by 911ace

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2012

Strengths:    Great ventilation, super light,

Weaknesses:    Roc Loc® 5 sytem failed on 2 helmets

Bottom Line:
I bought the Giro Hex (2012) with a few doubts however I was intrigued by Giro's design of the Hex. I got two rides out of it before the Roc Loc® 5 adjustment system failed (on another note about the Roc Loc® 5 system. The adjustment dial is a little small but that had nothing to do with my rating of the helmet). Once there was a slight amount of pressure the line would slip through the the Roc Loc® 5 system and the helmet would lose stability. I took it into Bicycle Sport Shop where they gladly exchanged it for another Giro Hex. I thought maybe it was a fluke helmet. I got two weeks out of the second Hex before the same thing happened. I really like the design of this helmet and the ventilation was superb (even for the Texas heat). However I am not willing to risk a crash for a third helmet so I went with the Fox Flux. Again Bicycle Sport Shop was glad to exchange it and I just paid the difference in price. In a month or so I should have a review on this well known helmet.

Duration Product Used:   1 month is all they lasted

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport Shop A

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Tactic, Fox Flux

Bike Setup:   Felt Nine Sport

Submitted by Heidi Williams

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2012

Strengths:    Saved my life. Airy. Lightweight. Great bang for the buck.

Weaknesses:    Looks geeky on a road bike but who cares anyway?

Bottom Line:
I used my Giro Hex for both mountain and road biking. On 8/15/2012 I had the most epic road bike crash that I have yet sustained and hope never to repeat when a giant dog t-boned my while I was going 24mph. Although my body sustained serious injuries, my Giro Hex saved my life. Before skidding across the pavement on my left side, I landed on my head, where my brain stem would have been had I not been wearing my helmet. All of the foam on the inside of the helmet is shatterd and in pieces, although the outer coating remains pretty much intact. My helmet is totally ruined but it saved me from massive brain trauma or even death (not so much for my body...if only they made Hex Body Armor like the helmet, I would have walked away uninjured). I am definitely in the market for a new one for when I am ready to get back on the saddle. I cannot thank my Hex enough.

Submitted by spencerfrater1

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2012

Strengths:    This helmet rocks! Lightweight, well ventilated, durable, cool looking.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of

Bottom Line:
Had this for over two years now, (and had a Hex before that as well). Every now and again I take out the internal padding (which is on velcro so easy to affix) and stick it in the washing machine. that stops it stinking and has lasted at least 20 washes so far.
The helmet ventilates really well and lasts a long time. My friends say it looks cool as well.
I wopuld buy the same one again, and probably will do.
Good value especially if you buy it on a special offer.

Favorite Trail:   Penmachno

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon 26"
Niner SIR9 rigid singlespeed
Rock Lobster steel frame geared 26" hardtail

Submitted by GTscoob a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2012

Strengths:    Great coverage, great price (sale at JensonUSA), well ventilated at trail speeds. Fit really well. Saved my brain.

Weaknesses:    Noisy at road speeds, chin strap loosens over time/with moisture, fragile Roc-Loc tension system

Bottom Line:
Giro disappoints me once again. I've had a few pairs of gloves that never seem to hold together but had never tried one of their helmets . . .

The Hex fit me like a glove, much better than the Xar which is made for a different shaped skull. On the trail this helmet kept me much more ventilated than my previous bell, Giro really did their homework for venting at trail speeds. On the road the helmet was so noisy I couldnt carry on a conversation with fellow riders and headphones were pointless.

The Roc-Loc 5 system allows you to tighten the helmet around the rear of your head and adjust how the lower supports sit on the lower back of your skull. The height adjustment never stayed in place so every time I put the helmet on I would have to pull it to the lowest setting, minor annoyance but between the skull supports on the lower back of my skull and the tight fit after cinching down the click adjuster, the chin strap was an afterthought. The helmet would be plenty fine staying on without even using it.

Skull coverage was much better than my XC lid and the helmet held together very well after taking a big hit. The foam cracked in 4 places but the helmet stayed in one piece and saved my noggin.

The Roc Loc system seems inherently weak. I cracked a plastic tab when pulling the rear support to its lowest setting and was going to epoxy it back together or warranty the helmet before I cracked it during a race. The chin strap seemed to loosen up over time, not sure if it was just vibrations or the ribbon soaking up sweat and stretching.

I really wanted to like this helmet, the price was right picking it up on sale but the cheap build quality of the RocLoc system has me looking elsewhere for a replacement. After having their gloves shred to pieces during minor spills and this helmet tension system crack during adjustment, I've lost all confidence in Giro as a manufacturer.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Bell Variant, 661 Evo, Lazer Oasiz, Lazer O2, 661 Dirt Lid

Bike Setup:   Rigid 29er, rigid singlespeed, cross bike, custom AM hardtail

Submitted by -eddie. a Cross Country Rider from sptbg

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2012

Strengths:    ventilation is awesome, definitely this products best feature.

Weaknesses:    makes your head look like a mushroom.

Bottom Line:
his helmet works for what it was designed for, just doesn't look that great. Definitely makes you look like a noob.

Favorite Trail:   ss

Purchased At:   christmas gift

Submitted by E. Guido Soda a Cross Country Rider from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2012

Strengths:    Saved my life. Nice ventilation, solid straps with no issues, all-around noggin protection.

Weaknesses:    Uhhhh, it saved my life! If there were any weaknesses, they are mitigated by that simple fact alone.

Bottom Line:
I took a wicked spill on the new local flow trail yesterday, hitting my head HARD after a fall from a step-up jump. I was not knocked out, but the helmet saved my life, or at least prevented catastrophic brain/head trauma; it suffered three cracks in the styrofoam and the plastic. You can whine about the visor or the straps or the this or that, but the bottom line is that this helmet saved my life, and it could save your's...and that is all that matters. If there were a ten star rating for value, I'd give it that...you can't put a price on this type of gear. Also, it is light and vents well. I've been wearing it for about six months of two-to-three rides a week, and the padding doesn't stink or crust up with salt...so that's a bonus! Oh, did I mention that it saved my life?

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain State PArk

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Bell, etc.

Bike Setup:   Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite w/ Arch tubeless, Chris King ISO's

Submitted by An?balPM a Weekend Warrior from Lima - Peru

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2011

Strengths:    High impact resistant. It saved my life. See how the Giro Xen ended after the crash I had last week: http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1125/cascoud.jpg
I got brain concussion but I'm still breathing in one piece. Inside the foam cracked in several points due the impact. The outer shell got deformed but preserved the helmet in shape.

Weaknesses:    The front ends of the adjust band fail, they pop out from its fixation points, I got this problem from the begining right after purchase. The L size is smaller than other brands. I had no option to complaint because I live in Lima, Peru and got it from a friend of mine who bought it for me from the US. So I had to use it anyhow. I´m not sure what happened either the helmet adapted to my head or my head to the helmet:)

Bottom Line:
Thanks Giro for the excellent Giro Xen. It saved my life. I already ordered a new Giro Xen 2011. I can'y wait to go riding again with confidence with my brand new Giro Xen, but it will take a while, first have to recover from the accident (2 ribs cracked and brain concussion)
Hope its weeknesses has been solved, in fact they were not a big deal but need to be improved: Adjust band failing fixation points and L size measurements.

Purchased At:   rei

Submitted by trails-of-fire a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort. Ventilation. Style. Weight.

Weaknesses:    Not particularly crazy about the tension system. If it had a knob on the tension system that could be turned to make adjustments it would easier to fine tune.

Bottom Line:
Excellent product. The helmet provides protection with confidence. Heat is a big factor here in South Texas, so one must wear a helmet that allows air to flow through the inside and out the rear (to remove the heat). The Hex does just that. The visor provides protection from the sun and branches. If you are serious about trail/cc and all- mountain this is the helmet to use.

Favorite Trail:   Gov't Canyon