Home | Reviews | Helmet | Giro

Giro Havoc Helmet

4.42/5 (89 Reviews)
Weight : 10.5 oz/298 g

With 27 vents the most in the Giro line. The Havoc has the Rac Loc 3 system to keep the helmet tight to your head. The in-mold design makes this one tough helmet. Weight 10.5oz.

Submitted by Mikkel Lund

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2013

Strengths:    Easy quick fit, looks good, seems light, good price

Weaknesses:    Only lasted two years

Bottom Line:
After two years of normal mtb-riding and a bit of commuting the inner plastic fittings that connects the outer shell has worn down. Otherwise it has no weaknesses and I've been very pleased with it. Maybe I can glue it together but that wouldnt feel right in a way. Overall I'm unsure how I feel about the fact that the helmet inner plastic fittings wore out after two years. A little cheated. Im pretty pissed now actually.

Submitted by Woodsonnc

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, comfortable, good ventilation, quick size adjustment

Bottom Line:
This helmet is very comfortable and the ventilation is great. The fine tune fit adjustment in the back is easy to use and hasn't failed to hold it's position yet. I personally don't see how you could need more than this helmet offers unless you wanted more coverage in the rear. For a majority of riders, i think this helmet would fit the bill, and at a reasonable price point. I wear one, and both my sons (17 and 6) who race wear them also.

Submitted by BokorSolo a Weekend Warrior from Prince William, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2009

Strengths:    Good helmet. It does exactly what it was designed to do, protect my brain.

Weaknesses:    Seems to fit a little high on my head.

Bottom Line:
This is the least favorite of all the helmets I own. I slapped on some reflective tape all over it and I use it for riding my road bike at night because I just don't care for it all that much.

Similar Products Used:   Other Giros.

Bike Setup:   Irrelevant.

Submitted by Jacques Pienaar a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile, SA

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2009

Strengths:    Light Weight, Fits me perfectly, Adjustability, durability, ventilation

Bottom Line:
This lid has taken some serious blows specifically comming down hill on a foreign trail, connecting the remaining part of a branch hidden behind thicker leaves. Sent me flying back off the bike, hell-of-a stiff neck but the helmet protected my pip just fine. Will totally recommend this quality product.

Favorite Trail:   Hacienda Las Varras

Purchased At:   Intercycle

Similar Products Used:   Various

Bike Setup:   09' Norco Fluid LT2

Submitted by *crash* a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2009

Strengths:    Good fit (everyone's head shape is different)
Quick and easy adjustments
Not too hot and not too cold

Weaknesses:    A little noisy when going into head wind.

Bottom Line:
The Havoc, with a $65 price point is one of the best all around helmets. Cool looking, medium priced, a good fit (depends on the shape of your head), and rugged would best describe this helmet. I did a flip going downhill after a failed attempt jumping a 3ft drop,resulting in bruised knees and shoulders and a cracked Giro Havoc! The helmet stayed in place (even with a 3" gap between my chin and the chin strap), and took the blow instead of my head! Lifesaver? Possibly. Definitely saved me a trip to the hospital! Totally recommended for the XC rider. AM, FR, & DH should use a full face (which I should have done).

Favorite Trail:   A Lot

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Giro Ionos (for the road)

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5, XTR/XT Groupo, Fox Float 32 F Series, Fox RP23, Juicy 7's, Mavic XM 719, Chris King hubs/headset

Submitted by ErikEngerd a Cross Country Rider from Breda, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2009

Strengths:    Comfort, looks.

Weaknesses:    Sweat absorption is not that good.

Bottom Line:
This is a good product. The helmet served its purpose as it prevented serious head injury at a crash. The helmet is now dented and has a crack and must be replaced. I did not suffer any head injury whatsoever thanks to this helmet.

The helmet is a bit expensive. Nevertheless, going to spend the same money again on a new Giro helmet because it has proven itself now.

Favorite Trail:   Nijmegen

Purchased At:   roseversand.de

Similar Products Used:   El cheapo helmets

Bike Setup:   Radon QLT Race 7 2008. Shimano XT brakes, shifters, deraillers. Fox Float RP23, Fox F32 100RLC. DT Swiss 240s + Competition 1.8/2.0 + XR4.2d

Submitted by Ryan_ Booty a Weekend Warrior from Mendham

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2009

Strengths:    Coolest brain bucket out there. Matches the cool bike and is the macdaddy helmet out there.

Bottom Line:
Matches my bike, Trek Jet 20.

Purchased At:   web

Bike Setup:   My ride

Submitted by ChicagoBoy777 a Cross Country Rider from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Strengths:    Fits perfect, adjustable sizing on the back. Easy to adjust in a second, very safe and sturdy

Bottom Line:
Helmet saved my life. I ate it bad on a 40 foot drop. I hit hard packed dirt with my front right side. Didn't lose consciousness. Have a little vertigo I'm getting through, but that's it. Vertigo almost gone and my helmet is still intact.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta River

Purchased At:   Bike Tech

Submitted by wick80 a Cross Country Rider from Manhattan, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2009

Strengths:    Fit, strength

Bottom Line:
Never go cheap with a helmet. This helmet saved my life today when I wrecked my bike. Instead of my head getting crushed, the helmet broke apart and took the brunt of the impact. I have a headache and a bruise, but my skull is not cracked open. I will buy another Giro Havoc immediately. I am not a normal reviewer, but safety is important to me, and this helmet worked exactly as published. Very impressed. Thanks Giro!

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR

Submitted by gointhedistance a Cross Country Rider from Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2008

Strengths:    LOOKS, fit system, breath-ability, value

Weaknesses:    runs a half size big in my opinion...

Bottom Line:
This is a great helmet so far. It fits well. It is fairly light, and breaths very well in my opinion. I think for the price it is one of the best helmets you can buy. GREAT VALUE. If you are thinking about a mid-level helmet for mountain biking-just go with the Havoc. Its an awesome deal.

Favorite Trail:   Theodore Wirth, MN

Similar Products Used:   Specialized helmets

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota Elite, XT, easton

Submitted by dudeimanoldfart a Weekend Warrior from Memphis, TN

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2008

Strengths:    Looks great, Fits very snug. Really keeps the sweat out of my eyes. Ha i take the helmet off and all the sweat comes dripping out.

Weaknesses:    Nothing really. The one i bought, the straps don't lay down flat against my cheeks, its like they were put in backwards or something ha, but that's not a big problem for me.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is great helmet for an awesome price. Ive seen some helmets out there that are way more expensive with the same durability. Looks awesome, feels good. Great helmet.

Favorite Trail:   Stanky Creek, Yellow Trail