Home | Reviews | Helmet | Giro

Giro Feature Helmet

4.38/5 (13 Reviews)

Giro Feature Helmet is the evolution of coverage and performance for long-travel trail riding. As the sport of trail riding progresses, helmets have to evolve. The Feature starts with a radical new shape that combines a little more coverage than traditional helmets, with vents that radiate heat up and out of the helmet; perfect for climbing at lower speeds. When the trail drops out, rugged In-Form fit system offers one-handed fit and stability adjustment, so you can dial-in the perfect feel and stay focused on the trail ahead, without losing your head.

Giro Feature Helmet Pro Review

The Giro Feature is an All Mountain helmet with great wrap around coverage, which provides good comfort, security and protection. It uses an In-Mold polycarbonate shell with an EPS foam liner, their In-Form retention system, has 12 vents with internal channeling and a visor with adjustable pitch. It retails for $75, weighs a moderate 350 gram, and comes in three sizes and seven colors. Continue reading →

Submitted by justwan naride

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2014

Strengths:    Coverage, adjustability, fit, weight, looks, value.

Weaknesses:    Ventilation can be inadequate at slow speeds in very hot climates. Choose the white or fluo yellow to at least reflect some of the sun. Front pad design & channels may allow sweat to reach your eyes.

Bottom Line:
Stylish, minimalist, gimmickless MTB helmet.

Submitted by Inuitbiker

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2013

Strengths:    Keeps your skull and brains functional
Ventilation
Removable Visor
Good Size Adjustment
Comfort
Customer support

Weaknesses:    Inner Pads

Bottom Line:
All in all this was a great helmet. Cracked mine after my rear tire patch blew out after landing on the transition. Had a minor concussion but no fractures or punctures to my head. It did its job. Customer service at Giro top notch for warranty and small parts needs.

Only gripe were the inner pads. They need to wash regular or they are sponges to zit causing bacteria. Also, they do no last long. Mine fell in apart 1.5 months and I only ride 3-4 times a week.

Will buy again if only the new version had MIPS. POC for now.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   online retailer

Submitted by Wasquatch

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2013

Strengths:    Solid, comfortable, adjustable, and it doesn't feel like an egg sitting on your head, or that it was converted from road riding to mountain biking. Lots of coverage, and feel more appropriate for the trails. Visor is easily adjustable

Weaknesses:    Needs a little more venting, either through wider holes, or the ducts need more angle to them. The ability to gather sweat off of the forehead leaves alot of room for improvement.

Bottom Line:
Great value, and design. Compared it to POC Trabec, Catlike Leaf, Bell Super. Preferred the price, the colors, and fit. Just give me a little more sweat absorbing material and its five stars.

Submitted by TikiGoddess a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2013

Strengths:    Adjustable visor, cool colors, light and comfortable for my head shape.

Weaknesses:    Not enough vents and flimsy straps.

Bottom Line:
This helmet is best out of the helmets I've tried at the lbs and good value for the money. I am a girl and was hoping to purchase a more colorful helmet--something other than black or matte. Among the top 3 helmets that I looked at were the Fox Flux, Giro Xen and the POC Trabec. Among the 3 the Trabec was closer in design to the Feature but at a premium. The Trabec is priced at 110 at my lbs and with the Feature at 75 it was a no brainer. I bought the color teal and am very happy with my purchase. Taken it out twice on a 16 and 13 mile trail ride on windy weather and it worked superbly. I don't know if it will work as well in warmer weather tho, I guess wed will see.

Favorite Trail:   Green Mountain Trail & Air Force Falcon Trail Colorado

Similar Products Used:   Bell and a really old Giro Road Helmet

Submitted by Pedro a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2012

Strengths:    I been waiting for a while to get this new generation of AM helmets and finally a have one. Well ... great fit and light, I quite like the thin fixation straps, the adjustable visor and the different shape approach. Stays in place with no vibrations or movement.

Weaknesses:    For me the easy to dent round/gloss ( red) surface makes me a bit furious for a dirt/mountain bike lid, it must be the new in-mold bond that makes it a non flexible hard surface, and there is nothing to cushion the small hits. It's just like pressing EPS foam with an egg surface ... does not return to shape... Ok , it only a cosmetic issue but that's annoying that u find new dents every time you go ride. I don't know if this happens in Urge's or Poc's
Oh and I almost forgot to mention... the color finishing of the visor of my red Feature it's slightly different than the helmet color.

Bottom Line:
In terms of fit/usage it's a great helmet, 4 chilis for that, and only the fragile surface let me down a bit.

Submitted by PeytonP

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2012

Strengths:    Fits well. Light. Great coverage. Durable.

Weaknesses:    Odd sizing (I wear a Giro snowboard helmet in Large, had to exchange Large Feature for a Med.)
Could use slightly more comfort-padding between head and helmet.
Matte black finish wears easily.
(you forget about this as soon as the helmet saves your skull)

Bottom Line:
I've only ever worn full-face, but I've decided risking an East Texas heat stroke isn't worth it. I wear a Large Fly Racing full-face and I have a Large Giro snowboard helmet. Logically, I ordered a Large Giro Feature, but it was just a little too loose. HucknRoll exchanged for a Medium with no issues and it fits great.
That aside, I've worn it for a few months now and I really like it. It gives me more security than a traditional XC offers and it takes abuse. I dropped it on my headset and it left a tiny dent in the outer shell, BUT there isn't even a scuff from a gnarly steep OTB into a tree where my bike flipped over me and bounced off my head behind my left ear.
Final verdict- I am VERY impressed!

Submitted by Shpadoinkel

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2012

Strengths:    Great fit. Light. Adjustable visor. Feels like you're fully protected. Looks better than most.

Weaknesses:    A little on the warm side. Finish scratches easily (at least on the matte black).

Bottom Line:
Overall, I think this is a really good helmet. I was looking for something that would give me great protection, while at the same time look a little better than the average helmet. I know looks aren't all that important while you're flying down a hill, but I've just never liked the look of the standard bike helmet. The standard bike helmet also always felt like it was sitting on top of my head. This one feels like I'm actually wearing it since it sits lower and wraps around my head.

This helmet fits great, has a low profile and gives great full head protection, especially on the back of the head. After about 5 minutes, I couldn't even feel the helmet. It's light and once you adjust the straps and the dial adjustment on the back, it won't move a bit but still feels very comfortable.

It is a little on the warm side. I didn't do myself any favors by getting the matte black, which I'm sure attracts a bit more sun than the others. I have a 5 mile street ride to my local trails and I have to stop and wipe my eyes twice before I got there. Once I get to the trails and started whipping around trees, I don't notice any sweat issues, probably because I was mostly in the shade at that point. With this helmet if you're on a long, hard ride in direct sunlight, you're gonna have a bad time.

The helmet also scratches pretty easy. Again, this may just be a matte black issue, but going under very light branches leaves marks on the finish that don't just rub off. Not a big deal at all for me, but it's not going to look brand new after your first ride.

I really like it because it does what I need it to do, protect my melon when I'm going down a hill. And it feels and looks good doing it.

Submitted by SDKmann

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2012

Strengths:    Secure fit, great coverage, functional visor, lightweight and fantastic looks.

Weaknesses:    Does not vent well and the finish makes marks stand out.

Bottom Line:
I snagged this helmet to replace a Giro mushroom style helmet and this helmet has been a great upgrade. The extended coverage and secure fit is perfect and makes you feel very safe. The extra protection comes at a cost though because this helmet does not vent well and gets really hot. At higher speeds this is not a problem but when I have to slow down for more technical sections of trail the helmet turns into an oven. The pads absorb sweat well though and I don't have any problems with sweat getting in my eyes. The helmet has a good look to it too, it is very well designed. Unfortunately the matte titanium color does not wear well. Mine is not very old and it already has a number of marks on it from branches. Overall it is a great helmet though and the slight weaknesses do not outweigh the superior fit and coverage this helmet offers.

Submitted by Moby

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Strengths:    Snug fit, adjustable/removable visor, excellent protection all-around, great venting.

Weaknesses:    None that I have observed so far.

Bottom Line:
Purchased this lid to replace the mushroom I had previously. I have been very happy with my purchase. The extra coverage gives me a bit more confidence when attempting the technical stuff. Although it doesn't have as many vents as some $$$ models I have had no problems while riding down here in Texas. The placement of the pads keeps sweat from rolling into the eyes. Just a great lid.

Submitted by kanai a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    Light, adequate ventilation, fits well, looks good (IMO), no bugs through vents, works well with goggles and sunglasses

Weaknesses:    Minimalist padding lets sweat drip down face

Bottom Line:
Purchased this helmet to replace a T.H.E. B-1. Also considered an Urge Endur-O-Matic and POC Trabec, but the limited sizing and availability (for me) of the Urge and price of the POC led me to Giro.

I already own a Remedy full-face and the sizing runs true (both size M). In-Form fit system works great, even with beanies and headbands in cooler weather. The Feature is much cooler and lighter than the T.H.E. lid it replaces, though sweat tends to drip down my face and on my sunglasses. Speaking of sunglasses, it works great with my Rockgardn Pangaea without impinging on the earpieces, even with the over-temple coverage.

Would've given a 5/5 review, but my champagne taste on a beer budget ($43 after taxes team points) and minor quibble earns a 4/4. In the end, the helmet disappears when riding, fits great, and looks good to boot. If you need more coverage and can't/don't want to spend over $100 on a new lid, then the Feature is worthy of your hard-earned dough.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   T.H.E. B-1

Submitted by rizwanabidin

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2012

Strengths:    Design and convertibility, believe also excellent protection for half face

Weaknesses:    no significant at this moment, that is the clips

Bottom Line:
excellent design and protection with value with money..

Submitted by p-town

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2012

Strengths:    Price, weight, coverage, looks.

Weaknesses:    Could use some more vents.

Bottom Line:
I have been looking for a helmet like this for some time now. I usually ride with a skate style lid but I was looking for something with more vents for the summer. This helmet does not have the venting of the xar or similar lids from other companies, but I feel this helmet looks better and I picked it up on Amazon for $55 shipped. I have read reviews stating the fit system did not work correctly. I found that if you can not twist the knob while it is on your head. I just tightened the knob as much as I could and then took the helmet off an added a few turns.

If you like to ride aggressively and want a light, cheap helmet with good style choose this helmet.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Bike Setup:   Giant reign x

Submitted by Jeff Britton a All Mountain Rider from Medford, OR USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2012

Strengths:    Well built, good coverage.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I really like this helmet. The back of the helmet has good coverage to the top of the neck and the air flow is good considering it is a skater type helmet. I have hit a few low branches with no cuts or dents like a normal bicycle helmet becuase this has a hard plastic shell. The straps and pads are comforatable and this is a nice alternative to a full face when I just want to go out for a little all mountian riding and need more coverage than a cross country lid. I would still wear a full face for downhill bombing though. The helmet will fit goggles as well so it is a perfect set up for a Super D or Grand Prix race. The visor is longer, similiar to a full face and has metal screws that hold it onto the helmet. Coming from the Fox Flux, I feel this has more protection and is about $30.00 cheaper.
Weight is suprisingly light.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Ashland