Home | Reviews | Helmet | Giro

Giro Encinal Helmet

4.2/5 (20 Reviews)

It still features Acu-Loc fit system, In-Mold construction, 21 vents and a snap-fit visor. The one thing that changed is the lower price. Weight 11 oz. / 312g

Submitted by dsnow23 a Cross Country Rider from Mill Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2009

Strengths:    It's pretty comfortable and not difficult to adjust and offers decent ventilation.

Weaknesses:    The back cracked when I dropped it when it was almost brand new. The back of the helmet doesn't have the thin layer of plastic covering it, so it will crack with minimal impact.

Bottom Line:
Probably not bad for the price, but I can't recommend it since mine broke so easily.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville downhill

Similar Products Used:   Other Giro and Specialized cross country helmets.

Bike Setup:   Niner Rip

Submitted by cycle.tim a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Fl, USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Strengths:    Light and big vents

Weaknesses:    Straps are not long enough

Bottom Line:
I just couldn't bring myself to shell out 100+ dollars for a helmet. As a result I road around with my Treck helmet for the past 3 years. I finally broke down though and started trying on some new helmets and the Encinal was the best for me. I like the tensioner in the back, it's much better than the ones where you have to squeeze the two sides together. It's very light as well, you can barely tell you are wearing it. By far though, the best part about this helmet though is the big vents. Not so much because they are great for air flow but because I can get my fingers through them to itch my head. I would have to take my old helmet off at times when my head would itch and I couldn't scratch it. Those times are over now. My one grip is that the straps to go around your chin are too short. I have the straps maxed out for length and the the helmet just fits. I do not have a longer than normal head either so I don't know what the deal is. Anyways, I would recommned this helmet to anyone, it's great and the price isn't so bad either.

Favorite Trail:   The secret trail

Purchased At:   J&S Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Treck helmet

Bike Setup:   Trance X1

Submitted by from Long Grove Ia US

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2007

Strengths:    See botton line

Weaknesses:    See bottom line

Bottom Line:
I have a problem with the plastic band of the helmet, over my ear, touching the top of my ear. At the bike store I tried on the most expensive Giro to the least expensive. The Encinal band doesn't rest or touch my ear and it felt very confortable. I've been riding for about 30 years and this helmet is as confortable as any I have worn. On the single track trails it has samed me several serious headaches.

Submitted by Flip a Cross Country Rider from Wichita Falls

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2007

Strengths:    Saved my but

Weaknesses:    Not the best looking helmet out there but it saved my but. Oh, I already said that.

Bottom Line:
I was riding in my first race on my home trail last weekend after having this helmet going on for two years. I picked the wrong line going into a deep ditch that I've rode into numerous times in the past. I stopped dead cold at the bottom after hitting something and endo'd over my bars slamming into the dirt incline on the other side. I ended up bruising some ribs on my right lower back, hitting my head thus cracking the helmet and destroying a Mavic Crosstrail front wheel. My head feels great but my ribs will take a while to heal. This helmet did what it was supposed to do.

Similar Products Used:   specialized

Submitted by Jess from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Strengths:    Unisex, variable sizing, comfortable, good color

Weaknesses:    Nothing that any other helmet wouldn't have

Bottom Line:
It's a great deal for a good helmet that'll keep you safe. There's no need to buy an expensive helmet, since it's gonna get scratched and maybe cracked in a crash. Buy a name brand though from a reputable bike shop and make sure it has CPSC or ANSI ratings and a Snell rating if you really want to protect your noggin.

Favorite Trail:   Schukyill River

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Marin Bear Valley

Submitted by matt a Cross Country Rider from lompoc, ca

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2007

Strengths:    pretty comfortable, looks good

Weaknesses:    visor support pegs are weak. straps are difficult if not impossible to adjust to lay flat around back of ears. foam inserts fall apart.

Bottom Line:
this is a followup to a posting i did 13 months ago. my previous review was really positive, because the initial fit and quality was great. the helmet is now a hair over a year old and 6 months ago one of the upper support pegs to the visor broke. followed a couple of months later by the other one, allowing the visor to flop upward when i get moving. the padding inserts are all splitting at the edge seams and have gone pretty flat. the styrofoam has held up well enough. on longer rides, the helmet starts hurting a bit. after just over a year of use, the helmet has held up ok with some gripes. not too bad, but long term reliability is not the best. I dont abuse helmets, but do ride pretty regularly (3-ish times a week)

Favorite Trail:   sycamore canyon

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   trek vapor 3, lemond (cheapo from target)

Bike Setup:   the helmet dosent care what the bike is

Submitted by John Petergal a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2006

Strengths:    Comfortable enough to make you wear it. Strong enough to protect you. Cheap enough to replace when needed.

Weaknesses:    Straps don't lay quite flat around the ears.

Bottom Line:
Thank you for my life, Giro. I was riding home from work on a hot day, sweating a bit but still comfortable. Next thing I knew, I woke up looking at the sky. I had hit a hole in the pavement which had knocked my handlebars 90 deg. sideways, causing INSTANT crash to the left side. My ankle was sprained, I had a 12" diameter bruise on my left hip, sprained shoulder, and some fingers. Skin loss on knee, thigh and shoulder. Helmet cracked and scraped.

I sustained a minor concussion when my head hit the curb and bounced in the gutter (so I was told by good samaritans, I don't remember it too well). Without head protection, you wouldn't be reading this review, you'd be reading my obit.

I will NEVER get on a bike without a helmet, nor should you. I was going less than 5 mph! My new Encinal looks good, fits great. Hope I never have to replace it again!

Favorite Trail:   Busse Lake, Elk Grove Village

Purchased At:   Village Cyclesport

Similar Products Used:   Giro Atmos, Bell cheapo

Bike Setup:   Trek Pilot 2.1

Submitted by Greg from Vero Beach, Florida

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2006

Strengths:    Color matches my new bike.

Weaknesses:    Straps are LOUSY and the visor is VERY cheap

Bottom Line:
I just purchased this to go with my new bike. If I didn't have to use the straps, the helmet would fit nice, but the straps are LOUSY ... worst Giro yet. I can't get the straps to lay flat and to prevent the helmet from moving up from the front, I have to make the straps so tight that I can't swallow while the helmet is buckled ... ovbiously designed by a woman or a girly man with no Adam's apple.
On top of that, the brand new helmet had a cockeyed visor. I applied VERY little pressure trying to straighten the visor and one of the center tabs broke off (the visor was straight once the tab broke off). Afterwards, I used a LOT of pressure to remove the now broken visor but none of the remaining tabs broke off ... looks to me like it was defective.
So now I have a brand new helmet with a broken visor and straps that don't allow me to swallow ... not impressed.

Similar Products Used:   Other cheaply made Giro's

Bike Setup:   Hey, this is about the helmet.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Bromley

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2006

Strengths:    Worked well for me in accidents. Has an integrated visor.

Weaknesses:    Did not fit well. I have a big head, diameter-wise that is, and this helmet never quite fit right. Caused fairly consistant pain in the temple area.

Bottom Line:
I really have no complaints other than the fact that it never really fit right. It was the first helmet that I purchased and seemed to be fine in the store, but after wearing it for a while, created a throbbing pain in my temple area. So, it you've got a large noggin' like me, look elswhere. Switched to a universal fit Bell helmet and it is much more comfortable. I am still going to give it three chilis because it did keep me from busting my head open on a couple of occassions. Primary fault for me was fit.

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Bell Ukon

Bike Setup:   does it matter...we're talking about helmets

Submitted by matt a Cross Country Rider from lala land, ca

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2005

Strengths:    light, very comfortable, looks pretty good, keeps cool. easily adjustable

Weaknesses:    visor not break-away, in case i smack it on something.

Bottom Line:
this is a great helmet. i tried everything in the store and this was the BEST compromise of price, fit, features, and styling. i would absolutely buy it again. i was skeptical about "universal fit" but it fits perfectly and adjusted easily to my head.

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   le monde from target (nothing to do with le monde bicycle company). painful but durable

Bike Setup:   KHS alite 4000. marzocchi marathon, easton bars, sram drivetrain, LX crank

Submitted by Steven a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2005

Strengths:    Great fit. Lightweight. comfortable. great colors

Weaknesses:    none that i can think of

Bottom Line:
A great bike helmet for the money. you can always spend the extra 50 buks and get a better one but for 50 buks u cant beat this helmet

Favorite Trail:   cogginssr@vcu.edu

Purchased At:   Rowlett's

Submitted by Sam a Weekend Warrior from Lubbock TX

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2005

Strengths:    Simple design, great color schemes

Weaknesses:    strap configuration

Bottom Line:
Accu-loc system has been great, although I think it would wear too fast and stop functioning if I were to adjust it more often, overall a great brain bucket for the price!

Favorite Trail:   Mae Simmons