Home | Reviews | Helmet | Giro

Giro E2 Helmet

4.29/5 (142 Reviews)
Weight : 10 oz/284 g. MSRP : $160.00

Giro took the best of the Exodus and made it even better. With 24 enormous vents, E2 is a mere skeleton of its predecessor. It?s also lighter, and features Wind Tunnel Ventilation, an in-mold Hardbody? and our top-of-the-line Roc Loc 3.

Submitted by SR92 a Cross Country Rider from Mars, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    Great ventillation, strong helmet, decent visor. Overall a great helmet for trail or road protection. Rocloc adjuster fits the head comfortably.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet...

Bottom Line:
Great all around helmet, particularly if you are looking for ventillation. Now that Giro has moved on to teh Hex helmets for MTB, some bike stores will have these E2's discounted. All around I have enjoyed it and it is in great shape, despite very regular use.

Favorite Trail:   North Park

Purchased At:   Trek of Pittsburgh

Similar Products Used:   Bell helmets

Bike Setup:   2007 Gary Fisher Tassajara 26" hardtail with 100mm front travel.

Submitted by spotjasper a Cross Country Rider from Arcata, CA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2009

Strengths:    good ventilation, light weight

Weaknesses:    RETENTION SYSTEM FAILED. I crashed in a rock garden this weekend, and the retention system blew out, leaving the helmet flopping on the back of my head. What good is a helmet that moves out of the way during impact? See similar "Roc-Loc" complaints at bottom of page.

Bottom Line:
THIS HELMET IS NOT SAFE.

What good is a retention system that easily pops out of the helmet? It provides a false sense of security.

The helmet should stay in place & take the impact. My helmet has a small scratch & my forehead has 8 stitches...

Don't skimp on safety, get a helmet with a decent retention system...

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Fox helmets.

Submitted by Hans Konig a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2009

Strengths:    Great Safety, comfort, fit & retention system, excellent ventilation, lightweight, very strong, design/colour/graphics, manufacturing quality + finishes, durable hardware.

Weaknesses:    A tad pricey, interior cushioning & straps prone to perspiration soaking, otherwise none I can think of.

Bottom Line:
I'm a regular weekend and often midweek road and XC/tech Trail rider on local pathways, local off-road single track, and Rocky Mountain trails.
The Giro E-2 is the best Trail/XC/AllMtn helmet I have owned.
Like its predecessors, it survived my occasional endos and wrecks on tech single track & fire road washout ruts with no visible damage to shell or foam.
It was recently destroyed following crash while on a mountain ride when my left handlebar was grabbed by bush branches while avoiding a huge mud puddle across the whole fire-road on a fast downhill descent. Oww..! I'm still digging dirt out of the rash on my right elbow!!
The shell material remained intact with some gravel dents and scuffs; the foam inner was broken in numerous locations above the right ear location. The helmet did its job perfectly in protecting my head from a potentially serious concussion..or worse. At least so far.
The E-2 gets my top recommendation, if you can still find one, unfortunately it's been discontinued and superceded by the Giro Athlon, now my replacement.
Buy it, love it, trust it, full kudos!

Favorite Trail:   Lake Minnewanka single track

Purchased At:   LBS, Bow Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Giro Havoc, Louis Garneau

Bike Setup:   Custom K2-5000 alu frm; XTR/XT fr/rr der; self built M517-32s rims, Stan's NoTubes, Pana-FireProXC fr/rr, DT15/16db spokes, XTR rhub, XTdisk frhub, Shimano 185mm ctr lock disk, Avid Juicy7 fbrk, Avid 2.0V rbrk, Easton CT2 23"str hbar, RaceFace 100mm/10d Deus stem; RockShox 100mm XLC dtrclmp fork w EKO TotalAir cartridges, RaceFace Deus X 175mm Cranks w 44,34,22 Ch Rings, XT 11-34 cassette, Cane Creek Cloud Nine 200mm e-e rear shock on custom upper adapter, RaceFace XT alu seatpost, Specialized Rival Mtn seat, Oakley M frame eyewear.

Submitted by ricardovn a Cross Country Rider from Quito, Ecuador

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2009

Strengths:    Light, durable, comfortable, doesnt move a bit once adjusted, looks nice and saves you from getting a serious concussion

Weaknesses:    must adjust rock lock system with both hands in order to fit right.

Bottom Line:
Grat helmet, love it, i´m looking for another e2 as a replacement because i crashed very hard after failing a 6ft drop and broke it. It absorved the impact very well, i really thought i was gonna get a concussion! i´ve got it on video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fSHFusA07o at that time i was riding a gt avalanche bike

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Bike Setup:   azonic az7, marzocchi mx pro 100mm, lx dcl

Submitted by Covina a Racer from West Covina

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2009

Strengths:    ventilation, comfortability

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
This helmet kicks butt! It's way more comfortable than my cheap GT helmet that puts intense pressure on my temples. This one feels more comfortable and the ventilation is great! I biked up Grand Avenue in Covina and I didn't feel like passing out unlike the GT. Didn't come w/ a chin strap but it feels comfortable nonetheless. I would definitely buy this again. Do they still make these?

Favorite Trail:   Santa Fe Dam

Purchased At:   Helen's Cycles

Similar Products Used:   GT ???

Bike Setup:   Scott CR1 SL, Ultegra pedals and Dura Ace everything else, Cat's Eye Speedometer

Submitted by andthereyouare a Racer from Maryland

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    Best Helmet I've ever owned, next to the King Cobra(Which they don't make anymore.) Comfort is top notch.

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
You can't go wrong with this helmet. Even in 100 degree weather it's not hot. Looks good and protects your nogin'. What more could you ask for?

Favorite Trail:   Judge Morris, DE

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Bell, Trek, more giro helmets

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude Race with a sic racin' setup.

Submitted by Timmy a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix Arizona

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, great ventilation, snug fit, great moisture control, very cool looking.

Weaknesses:    Visor doesn't stay in place very well, best just to leave it alone for fear of breaking it somehow.

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2007 model, which is key, because Giro has changed many things between when they first came out, to the one I now own. I got it on sale, which is the only way I would buy this helmet, which is awesome nonetheless. Giro has improved the Roc Loc system from using velcro and such to hold it in place, to being stuck in the styrofoam of the helmet by some kind of ball pivot thingy. It stays in place, which is all ya need to know. It seems like a great cross country helmet, but could be used for anything except for where a full faced helmet is needed. The visor thing doesn't bother me because I've never needed a visor that needs to be moved, or removed at all, I'm not that picky about the sun. If that bothers you, just get some cheap sunglasses to go along with it.

Favorite Trail:   Red Mountain

Purchased At:   blueskycycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Bottom of the line Trek garbage helmet, great for first start, but soon grew out of it.

Bike Setup:   2005 Cannondale Prohpet, lefty and all.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from London Canada

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, easy to adjust, great air flow, and ventalation.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:

I myself am prone to concussions thanks to good ol' hockey. I've had 3 bad ones.

This helmet saved me from my fourth this past summer. I took a hard wipe, and smacked my head hard. The helmet broke virtually at every vent, but I got up and was able to finish, and more importantly, remember the ride. I am truely convinced that this helmet has it where it counts.

It sucks that I wreaked a nice helmet, but hey...they can be replaced. I have since bought my second, and I am at ease, knowing this helmet can take a hard lick.

Hope this helps anyone look to buy a helmet. Keep the rubber side down!!

Favorite Trail:   Hydro Cut (Waterloo Canada)

Purchased At:   Chico 24hr Summer Solstice Race

Similar Products Used:   All types

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur Classic

Submitted by Josh a Cross Country Rider from Lake Ozark

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2007

Strengths:    Lots of air flow, roc loc good

Bottom Line:
this is a great helmet, lots of air flow, giro has good customer service

Favorite Trail:   Old Glory

Similar Products Used:   Giro Atmos, Giro Exedus

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Memphis, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2007

Strengths:    Fit was good - not 'special', but very good. Got a great value on it (no way should you pay even half of the MSRP listed at the top of this review screen - like $200 or something??).
It works well for the purpose intended, and I am glad about that!

Weaknesses:    Pads soak up sweat to the point that they start dripping down the front on most rides. This is a problem I have with every helmet I have had, so I probably would not hold it against the E2.

Bottom Line:
This helmet served me well both on the trails and on the road. I had no complaints and I am extremely happy to say that it stood up to the ultimate test.

On a solo ride at Stanky Creek mtb trail yesterday I suffered a freak (and spectacular) crash at high speed. I landed, in this order, on my head, left elbow, and left torso. Usual bruises and abrasions, but after a very hard head impact on compacted gravel/rock, I was able to get up and start worrying about my bike. Only a lingering headache the next day, and the need to puchase a new lid.
The helmet split/cracked in about three places on the left side right above my ear. Exactly what it is supposed to do.

If I had not had it on (or maybe if I had a lesser helmet), I might still be in the creek righ now mumbling for help...

Favorite Trail:   Stanky Creek

Bike Setup:   Mtn: Santa Cruz Blur (classic) with XC setup
Road: Specialized Roubaix

Submitted by Brendan King a Cross Country Rider from Sewickley PA USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, great ventilation, looks cool

Weaknesses:    the most expensive MTB helmet I found

Bottom Line:
I went head-first into the dirt at seven springs DH course this summer and hurt every part of my body except my head. I have no doubt that Giro deserves credit for for making an exceptional helmet. You cannot know just how much protection this helmet gives you until you break one of these in a crash!

Favorite Trail:   Bavington

Purchased At:   TREK

Bike Setup:   wheels, fork, seat, drive chain, brakes and handlebars

Submitted by BikeMe a Cross Country Rider from OC, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2007

Strengths:    Great fit, easy adjustment, lightweight, cool to wear, adjustable visor (a key feature for me)

Weaknesses:    Straps don't fit flush against skin by ears like I'm used to with old helmet(s). More of an appearance thing, I don't feel anything weird while wearing the helmet.

Bottom Line:
Great helmet! Solved the neck pain I had from helmets that don't have adjustable visors--had to hyper extend my neck to get a good look down a trail. Fits waaaay better than my Bell Paragon. I forgot I was wearing a helmet with the E2. Yeah, it's $130 but I think it's worth it for the killer fit, lightness, cool head and no neck pain.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with a climb