Home | Reviews | Helmet | Giro

Giro Animas Helmet

4.76/5 (25 Reviews)

The Giro Animas offers aggressive styling and high-caliber performance features matched to massive vents that were made for epic endurance challenges and tough terrain. If you live and breathe for long rides, this is your helmet

Submitted by Matthew

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2012

Strengths:    Light, well ventilated, long lasting, Stronger than most would expect

Weaknesses:    NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
I've had this helmet for about 8 years, however, I've probably only done about 500 miles over those years. This helmet has held up well to several minor tumbles with no damages. There has been no fadding or discoloration of any parts.

Just a week ago I had a very nasty crash, going 30 mph downhill, I looked where I didn't want to go, so I fell in a wash out and hit a block of concrete. I went over the bars and landed head first into the ground. I was able to get up, and slowly ride to my car then drive to the hospital.

I had ZERO head injuries, but a cracked rib and very sore neck and back. Upon inspection of the helmet I found a gash in the top, that under closer look are Chain Ring teeth marks from the front ring hitting me in the head at some point. Internally one section of foam is compacted from the impact while the rest is cracked and broken in many places. While the helmet is no longer suitable for protective use, it still goes on and fits mostly the way it's supposed to.

I've very glad for this helmet and well be purchasing another similar Giro helmet through their Crash Replacement Program.

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from NE Ohio

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2008

Strengths:    Great looks, very light, well designed vents provide superior air flow.

Weaknesses:    For XC and trail use - I doubt it's sturdy enough for downhill. Visor pops out often on rougher courses.

Bottom Line:
I wanted a lighter, well ventilated helmet that had great looks too (vanity?) to replace my aging Bell. This helmet meets my needs, seems rugged enough for general trail use and commuting. Really light weight on the head, and I can't emphasize the great ventilation enough.

I haven't experienced issues with the Roc-Loc system yet, but it does appear fragile. The visor has been my only complaint - doesn't like to stay locked in over rough terrain, otherwise a great helmet.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Bell

Submitted by Boomer a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Strengths:    Light, tight, and airy.

Weaknesses:    It broke, The Roc-Loc retainers to the shell snapped off. Visor is kinda cheapy (but so what really).

Bottom Line:
I really liked the helmet, but the vertical retainers broke during a minor get off. It seems kind of pathetic for a higher end helmet, but maybe I'm too rough on stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Hall Ranch

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Really?

Submitted by John from Tallahassee, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2007

Strengths:    Looks great, great airflow, shell and paint holds up nice to wear and tear

Weaknesses:    Mine BROKE YESTERDAY!!! The rubber strap from the "best in the world" Rock lock 4 design where it contours around the left side of your head to the back adjuster, WELL BOTH RUBBER strap that holds the helmet snug to your head broke while in my backpack. (i dont leave this helmet on my bike while in class) I think that putting the helmet in my backback for barely 1 semester bent the rubber with steel strap inside of it so many times that it finally snapped. I am going to contact Giro for a possible new rock lock 4 plastics system....Other than that the helmet has been great. I have not had to use it yet:)

Bottom Line:
Will update to see if Giro helps me out...Otherwise dont put this helmet anywhere that the rubber straps are bent or twisted in anyway.

Favorite Trail:   Redbug

Purchased At:   Online somewhere

Similar Products Used:   Bell $30 helmets

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M80 Hardtail

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from Olympia, Washington

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2006

Strengths:    Light, tough, stays on - adjustable if you need to put on a beanie to keep your egg warm for night rides.

Weaknesses:    crappy visor pops loose for no apparent reason.

Bottom Line:
Great lid - great airflow, I sweat anyay and have no hair but I do notice a bit of a difference. I purchased this one after I trashed my last Giro something or other during a nasty face plant. I've gone over the bars over a dozen times with good impacts on fast singletrack and the Animas has done great everytime - I have to duct tape the visor in place or it just pops out. 5 for protecting my noggin - and saving it on a pavement spill - 4 for the crappy visor.

I'm adding a Bell Bellistic for riding though the muddy and rocky funk and keeping the Animas for less aggressive rides. I wouldn't suggets this for people who do any downhill for freeriding - it's just not built to take it. Get smart and go with a good FF helmet for that.

Favorite Trail:   some gnarly thing out in Chealis

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   buncha other helmets over the years

Bike Setup:   Kona blah blah blah Specialized blah blah blah your Redline Muck Muck blah blah blah...

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Orange

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Strengths:    slender road style look, Wind tunnel venting, lots of adjustabiity

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
i can barely feel this helmet on my head. superior venting, i feel the wind blowing through my hair. i bought it cuz i wanted something that looked like the Atmos but didnt cost as much. has the most adjustability ive seen in a helmet. pretty aero, alot better than my old azonic skid. very comfortable overall, i actually like wearing this helmet. i think that $100 is a little overpriced for the features u get tho.

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Similar Products Used:   Azonic skid lid

Bike Setup:   custom, 27spd deore, XTR stuff, marzocchi drop off, fox vanilla, etc etc

Submitted by Paul from Jersey City, NJ, US

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Strengths:    really heavy duty and can take a beating

Weaknesses:    nothing I have noticed so far

Bottom Line:
This helmet is amazing. I hardly notice I am wearing when riding after I properly adjusted it. I am new to mountain biking so falling over the handle bars has been frequent and this helmet has allowed me to get right back onto my bike and hit the trails again and again. I valued it at 5 chilis because 75 bucks for something that has made me survive some nasty falls is worth it. I also gave it 5 chilis for overall because it adds comfort with protection

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Apex 2005 (stock components)

Submitted by Aaron from West Bend

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2006

Strengths:    Ventilation is the best I've experienced in a helmet; good, comfortable fit; came in my favorite colors (ti/blue); Rocloc system is easy to use

Weaknesses:    Visor mount seems a little on the flimsy side

Bottom Line:
The coolest, most comfortable helmet I've ever tried. It has better airflow and is better looking than Bell X-Ray. Anyone who's head get hot when riding (I think that covers everyone, right?) should get one. I am extremely hot-headed, and I forget I have this thing on!

Favorite Trail:   South Kettle Moraine

Similar Products Used:   Bell X-Ray

Bike Setup:   Klein Palomino XV: WTB tubeless Weirwolves, Thomson stem & post, Titec Pluto carbon bar, C.B. Eggbeaters, WTB Rocket V Stealth saddle, Race Face Good 'n Evil grips, Cane Creek Ergo II bar ends

Submitted by BLT a Cross Country Rider from Burbank, California, USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2006

Strengths:    Great ventilation; inner pads are held with velcro for easy removal and cleaning; nice looking; fits well

Weaknesses:    Part of the plastic "RocLoc" adjuster popped off the first time I adjusted it but I was able to clip it back on. Haven't had a problem with it since then.

Bottom Line:
I needed a helmet with better ventilation and removable padding (for cleaning purposes)...the cheap-o Bell was getting gross inside. I am very happy with the Animas. It fits like a glove and is extremely comfortable. Sometimes I forget I'm even wearing it.

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Bell Sequoia

Bike Setup:   Does it matter?

Submitted by jordan a Weekend Warrior from calgary ab canada

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2006

Strengths:    great fit, super light, lots and lots of vets

Bottom Line:
this is a great helmet for allmountain riding which I do. it looks and fits awesome. go buy it now!

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   bell

Submitted by Lusdawg a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, CO

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2006

Strengths:    Weight, comfort, cool head, free cornrows!!!

Weaknesses:    None discovered

Bottom Line:
Only have used this helmet a few times, but it's SO much better than my old melon protector. It's so light and comfortable that I forget it's there. With my old brain bucket, I needed a sweat band from the start. Now, I only need one for longer rides. My head stays nice and cool for most of my rides (and I'm quite a sweaty rider). Highly recommended!! All that and the cornrows you have when the helmet comes off at the end of the ride are just SWEET!!!

Favorite Trail:   Trails that go up, then down

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Bell Ukon

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Hollowpoint Expert, XT/XTR

Submitted by Tim O'Hara a Cross Country Rider from Great Falls, MT

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2005

Strengths:    Well ventilated, comfortable, stable.

Weaknesses:    Seems to need readjusting every ride.

Bottom Line:
This is the most comfortable helmet I've ever had. Airflow is awesome! I've never had a problem with the straps loosening, but it seems like I readjust something every time I ride (my old helmet I never had to readjust anything) - that's not really a negative, just a statement of fact. For the comfort that this helmet provides, I can readjust it before every ride

Favorite Trail:   Columbine/Buckthorn/Capt. Jack's/The Chutes

Purchased At:   Scheel's All Sports

Similar Products Used:   Bell Nemisis II

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Fair Lawn New Jersey USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2005

Strengths:    Great Fit, very well ventilated although i havent used it during hot weather yet. Visor works well. The Roc Loc system is easy to use and seems sturdy. Thank you Giro.

Bottom Line:
I reccomend this helmet, it is not too pricey, fits well and gets the job done, plus the mat black looks good in my opinion.

Purchased At:   Campmor

Bike Setup:   it goes on my head.

Submitted by Dave Mayz a Downhiller from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2004

Strengths:    Killer looks, Awesome ventilation, light

Weaknesses:    Mine was a little big, other than that, none.

Bottom Line:
Overall a beautiful helmet, you forget that your wearing it untill someone comments on the looks, very light, almost has my last initial on the back (has a funky "M" lookin vent) pretty affordable, I give full 5-Flamin-Chilis, outstanding. I do believe that this helmet is best suited for "singletrack hogs" and "racers", but i take it up to the I-Street DJs and it rocks.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   Canyon Sports LTD.