Fox Racing Transition Helmet

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Fox Racing designed the Transition Helmet with skate styling, lightweight in-mold construction, and 12 strategically-placed vents to bring comfort and protection to the next level as you shred the jump park.

Submitted by skyungjae a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2013

Strengths:    Aesthetically pleasing, good back of the head protection

Weaknesses:    Venting

Bottom Line:
They should re-name this helmet the "Heat Stroke," because that's what's going to happen if you find yourself doing a lot of pedaling in hilly areas on a sunny day. Of course, that's not what this helmet is designed for, but it's my only helmet. I end up using it for everything.

I've worn this helmet nearly every day since November of 2012. Since then, the black part of the padding has peeled off on one side, so the velcro will only stick to one of the sides. I'm not going to say that it's poor quality since I do unload buckets of sweat into it.

Anyhow, if you feel this type of helmet suits your riding, go for it. I do not think it's a good "all arounder" helmet though.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Kona Stink-E e-bike

Submitted by spity a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Price, comfort, SUPER light weight. Safety, bang for the buck.

Weaknesses:    Strap. Its not bad and ive gotten better at adjusting it. But the behind the ear straps slightly rub my ear. I have big ears, and im an inbetween on helmet sizes. Not a major issue by any means.

Bottom Line:
I usually ride with a full face Giro Remedy. The weathers getting warmer and for trails I know im not going to be jumping or going all out on I needed a bit cooler of a helmet without sacrificing my skull protection. (We have alot of very rocky trails here in MD).

Regular XC helmets dont leave me feeling safe enough for my dumbass. This was a good compomise. Plenty of behind the head protection. Its not too hot. Very comfy, and light weight. The value was all there, and it has more vents, and a little more style(Almost german ww2 army helmet) than a regular skate helmet.

I probaby look like a big nerd wearing it, but people already give me dirty looks for riding a single speed rigid. But for me it leaves me with the same sense of confidence as my full face and not being afraid of flying through rock gardens, and trees. Lets face it, when you ride hard, your going to crash. When I go OTB i like to get back up.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco MD

Purchased At:   Hucknroll.com

Submitted by buddhak a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight for so much coverage
Molded in shell in construction yields a durable helmet

Weaknesses:    One size fits all - worked for me, but only with the thick pad set
Limited adjustability - may be an issue for some folks, but not so much for me
Foam pads can disintegrate over time, but Fox is good about sending replacements
Limited venting, but that's the price of structural integrity

Bottom Line:
I am happy with the Fox. For the durability and amount of coverage (esp in the rear) that it offers, it is pretty lightweight. Technically a single crash helmet, but it has served me very well for a year now. There are lighter and breezier helmets out there, but they just don't last. The Fox is a lightweight battle helmet and it is confidence inspiring. To the guy who is disappointed that he sustained a concussion while wearing his Fox, you are missing the point. Bike helmets do not necessarily protect against concussion. They are designed to protect against skull fractures by dissipating focused impacts over a larger area of compressible foam. Your brain will still bang around the inside of your skull with such an impact.

Favorite Trail:   Belmont

Purchased At:   Pricepoint, I think

Similar Products Used:   Many, many foam + shell helmets: Bell, Giro, etc.

Bike Setup:   SS 29er

Submitted by Nadric a Weekend Warrior from Abingdon, MD

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2011

Strengths:    Looks good
Fits larger sized heads well
Straps attach to helmet, not foam

Weaknesses:    Can get a little warm
Single impact

Bottom Line:
Was having trouble finding a helmet that fit larger sized heads, while still looking good. This fit those needs perfectly.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Submitted by yakmastermax a Downhiller from Brooklyn, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2010

Strengths:    Very light
Cheap
Very light
good graphics
good strap function
did I mention light?!

Weaknesses:    Hot, venting is mediocre at best
single hit/use

Bottom Line:
I bought the helmet to do DJ and Freeride in

I was very pleased at first at how light it is
Got a little hot here and there but not bad,

However I took a crash, landed head first from undershooting a 7 foot double and got a concussion. Honestly I expected more from the Helmet.

A bruised scalp is one thing but at speeds under 15mph and hieghts under 10ft I like to think most helmets on the market can prevent concussion.

Guess not.

Purchased At:   Chainlove.com

Bike Setup:   Cannondale gemini foxDHX 5.0
RM Flatline, 888 WC

Submitted by PiroChu a Weekend Warrior from NorCal

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2009

Strengths:    - light weight (just like a XC helmet, definintely lighter than other skate-style helmets)
- strap attachment (straps are attached to the helmet kinda like $100+ Giro X-Gen)
- fit (this is personal)

Weaknesses:    - cambuckle pieces (design doesn't allow the straps to open wide below the ears; integrity is poor that it naturally broke off on its own after 7th month - will need some aftermarket cambuckle replacements from REI)
- no outter shell layer (makes it light-weight, but dings very easily when hitting tree branches)

Bottom Line:
I really this skate-style helmet (& its name to match my bike, hahah) that's light weight like a XC lid. The fit is great, too (though this is personal).

The only gripe is its cambuckle pieces. Adjustment allowed to wide-open the starps below ears is limited (straps touching the ears annoying), then these broke off naturally (on its back-side / cheek-touching side) on its own, after 7 months. I'll have to go get something like these (http://www.rei.com/product/612227) from REI to replace them now - hopefully they'll work.

Except for the cambuckles, this helmet has been great for me, and is a keeper (once replacing these lil' pieces).

Favorite Trail:   UCSC, SDF