Fox Racing Flux Helmet

4.49/5 (115 Reviews)

If the Fox Racing Flux Helmet was alive, you'd want to keep your hands away from its mouth. The Flux is an aggressive little bastard. It provides plenty of coverage and plenty of ventilation to keep your dome safe and comfortable as you attack the hairiest singletrack.Deep rear profile for added protection20 ventilation ports for tons of airflowRemovable visor so you can have it your wayDetox ratchet retention system for snug, secure fit

Submitted by beerhunter a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2014

Strengths:    Protection, fit, venting.

Weaknesses:    None significant

Bottom Line:
After a big hit 5 years ago I moved from an XC/ road helmet to the flux. In all that time I only hit my head once, and not too hard.

That was until yesterday, when this lid saved me from a head injury. I simultaneously hit my head and shoulder on bare rock very very hard. I broke my collarbone and dislocated my shoulder, but did not hurt my head. Im off to the orthopaedic surgeon (again) but I don't need to see a head trauma specialist, or a brain surgeon...

The flux fits my head well, and given its size and coverage it is not too hot. The lid is not light like an xc lid, but the tradeoff is well worth it.

Duration Product Used:   5 yrs

Submitted by centralcoastkid

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2014

Strengths:    2014 helmet review ! its a great looking helmet great air flow

Weaknesses:    like all the other reviews the fit is just off, the size chart is off as well , the retention system is lame. now having bashed the fox flux there is a semi quick fix on the fit get the pad upgrade set, its thicker and will make it fit better also re-locate the straps system to exit thru the the back of the retention band were it is supposed to go and you will have improved your view on this helmet .

Bottom Line:
Im still on the fence on this helmet it looks cool but kinda pissed on the money I had to pay and then fix to get what should have come out of the box . but in the end when riding with it all that goes to the back of your mind and is forgotten ............................until you get home and take it off

Submitted by Guillermo

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2014

Strengths:    Good looks. Many positive reviews on multiple sites

Weaknesses:    Poor fit.

Bottom Line:
I don't understand what makes this helmet so popular aside from the fact that it is a Fox product and it looks good for an mtb helmet. Bottom line is that a helmet has to fit so well that you forget that you are wearing it. The last thing you need is a poorly fitting helmet on your head as you are riding. This is where this helmet comes up short. The adjustability is limited especially when it comes to the The Fox Detox™ retention system. This retention system only adjusts on the back half of the helmet, it does not adjust at the front half. This leads to a helmet that cannot fit on my head well enough to keep it from moving around in all directions; not what I need to deal with when I will be descending or going through a rock garden. The only way I could get it to stay put was to tighten the straps so snug that it was choking my chin / neck. This is not the way to make a helmet fit properly.
I currently wear a UVEX mtb helmet and a UVEX helmet has an adjustment dial that completely tightens or loosens all the way around the head. Therefore there is no need to tighten the straps so tight that they choke around the neck or under the chin. My UVEX helmet makes for a great fitting helmet and plan on returning this Fox helmet for a new UVEX.

Submitted by JF_ a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2013

Strengths:    Very light weight and has plenty of ventalation.

Weaknesses:    none!

Bottom Line:
Ridding in the Nevada desert heat you want a cool and comfortable helmet, the flux gives you all that and more. Has plenty of vents to keep you cool, very comfortable to wear, light weight, and at a great price you just can't beat it!

Favorite Trail:   Cowboy Trails Las Vegas

Duration Product Used:   6 months 3+ hr rides

Purchased At:   McGehies Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Bell Helmet

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel ex8 29er

Submitted by SnakeHandling SingleSpeeder a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2013

Strengths:    Fox brand
Ventilation
Looks great
High quality

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I got this for the ventilation. It works great but an be a downside for winter riding.
On a side note the design works well with light mounting.

Submitted by Jayem

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2013

Strengths:    Fits. Ventilation good.

Weaknesses:    Sweat-dam randomly lets everything go at once.

Bottom Line:
I want to like this helmet, but the sweat-dam/forehead padding is terrible. Your sweat will rush down at some random time when you are working hard, getting all over your sunglasses/glasses. If they could fix this it would be a good helmet and this isn't really excusable in 2013. They've been doing it for too long.

Submitted by Still Kickin a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2013

Strengths:    Fit, protection, ventilation.

Bottom Line:
Just got my Flux and made the first ride with it in 95 degree summer heat with very high humidity. Consider this a first impressions type review. The helmet is heavier than others I have used, but that's because it is substantially more helmet than most other so-called MTB helmets. It not only covers more of the back of the head, but it covers the temple area better and sinks down low over the forehead to offer more protection there too. The way this lid fits on my head reminds me of a football helmet somewhat in that after you push it down over your head it fits nice and snug and doesn't move. The helmet shell is also thicker than my old Uvex helmet. After a while it seems like I got accustomed to the heavier weight helmet on my head, and the ventilation seemed to be just fine even in the extreme heat I ride in. I got it in the white with the black on the front that fades to white and it really looks sharp even on my goofy head. I can see where the only possible weakness would be the way the visor is attached but I think I can deal with that. My wife says if I get hurt I still have to have a functioning brain so I can work and earn a living, so I decided to upgrade helmets. Bottom line, if you hurt your head with this helmet on I hate to see what the rest of your body looks like.

Favorite Trail:   Wild Azalea Trail, Kisatchie Natl. Forest

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Uvex, Giro, Bell

Bike Setup:   2013 Giant Trance X2 29er (love it)

Submitted by 911ace

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2013

Strengths:    Well ventilated, snug fit, easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    A little pricey full retail (but well worth it even if you pay full retail), sizing is different (I was a large in other helmets and a S/M in this one. I'd Suggest trying one one before buying it for first time), It takes some time to get used to the Detox Ratchet Retention System (I was just used to the dials systems that came on previous helmets). None of these are real weaknesses just something that should be brought to the attention of new buyers. Lets face it, 9 out of 10 people that buy this helmet love it.

Bottom Line:
I love this helmet. I bought a second one for $60 online but I would of paid the full $108 that they are at the over priced huge bike store down the street. I started with a Giro Hex, it was nice and new back when I got it but the retention system sucked. I would get it perfectly snug on my head and the cable would strip and the tension was no more. I thought it was a fluke so I exchanged it for another Hex. Two rides later the same thing happened. So I decided to go with the Flux. I feel like it is slightly better ventilated than the Hex (I'm riding in 105s most days of the year thanks to TX. heat). The retention system is snug and stays that way. I love this helmet and I would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Every Trail

Duration Product Used:   1+ years

Similar Products Used:   Giro Hex

Bike Setup:   Felt 29er Sport (2012)

Submitted by KogKiller a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2013

Strengths:    *Excellent ventilation for riding in Texas summer weather
*Low profile compared to some competitors
*Decent weight (390g)
*In-mold construction

Weaknesses:    *Front spoiler is a bit flimsy
*Back

Bottom Line:
I was looking for the best helmet for XC riding in hot weather. It needed to have excellent ventilation, low profile, and under $60. I was comparing all the offerings under this price range from manufacturers such as Giro, Bell, Kali, and Fox. Kali's Chakra was my first choice for it's fit, conservative looks, and price. However, the Fox Flux was at a discount so I went ahead and ordered it. I couldn't be happier with my choice. Well, maybe if I had the money I would've opted for a 661 Recon instead but this Fox Flux was right in my budget it exceeded my expectations. I did plenty of research and if you want the best helmet at a budget then I'd recommend these. Kali Chakra (or Chakra plus) at $40-50, followed by the Fox Flux at $50-75, and finally the 661 Recon at $70-100.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Submitted by Bryan1113 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2013

Strengths:    Comfort, looks, durability

Bottom Line:
Bought this few months ago for my birthday and love it...has good fit and feels solid. The camo color looks pretty hot too.

Favorite Trail:   Bell Mountain Loop

Duration Product Used:   couple months

Purchased At:   Art's cyclery

Bike Setup:   Cannondale SL4 29er

Submitted by cyber96 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2013

Strengths:    Fit is spot on for me. I measure in at 23.5 and I wear a SM/MD. Breaths well.

Weaknesses:    Strap is cheap and rubs in odd places. Visor is barely attached and falls off after awhile.

Bottom Line:
Great product for the prices but needs a better strap and breathability could be better. The Visor sucks.

Duration Product Used:   2+ years

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   POC Trabec

Bike Setup:   2012 Trek Superfly 100 Elite

Submitted by Bradford Fresh

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2013

Strengths:    Fit, durability, looks

Weaknesses:    None that i could find.

Bottom Line:
I have had this helmet for almost two years and now it is the only helmet i will wear. When i start looking for a new helmet the only choice i will be making is the color.

Submitted by Nico a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2013

Strengths:    Standing up and walking, comfort and protection, quality workmanship and finish.

Weaknesses:    Finding someone to contact in South Africa

Bottom Line:
I went head first into some boulders over the weekend during a MTB race. My head survived while the helmet took some serious beating.

Could stand up afterwards and for that I will buy one again ... even recommend to all that is willing to listen :)

Submitted by Doc Socrates a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2012

Strengths:    It saved my life, or at least my quality of life.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Just destroyed my Flux in a road accident. Car coming the other way failed to see me (despite an xp300 and a high vis jacket), pulled across my path and I somersaulted over the top, leaving my bike embedded in the door. Got up and, stumbling slightly, walked away. The helmet is completely totalled, but I am not. Will be replacing it like for like, as none of my previous helmets could ever have offered such protection.
You get what you pay for, and in this case I payed for being able to pick my kids up from school only an hour after an accident that the paramedics thought should have left me somewhere between A&E and the Morgue.
Oh, and it's comfortable.

Submitted by Texanaggie a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2012

Strengths:    FIT FIT FIT FIT , oh did i say fit , protection, the fit system is awesome

Weaknesses:    buying a cheap $40 Giro with the dial fit system

Bottom Line:
I bought a cheap Giro and rode with it for a few months and never could get the fit correct, the dial system would skip or not get tight enough, After riding with a buddy and having Helmet envy i found one on Price point for 80 bucks so i got the black matte when i got it in , I tried it on and the fit is awesome and it doesnt sit on top of my head but fits like a helmet should .........

Flux pedal strike.

Pedal strike. I have never had this issue on any other steed I have spent a lot of time on ( except the stokers pedals on my Mtb. tandem, but thats different). Frustrated, it is probably time to move on to a different frame. Yes, the sag is set proper. Enjoy the way it rides in all other ways but t ... Read More »

which year 26" flux to buy horst link or dw link?

I have a 2004 5 spot that I really enjoy. The suspension just swallows everything smoothly with no issues. My only issue with my spot is I feel on top of the bike not in it. The bottom bracket seems a little high for my style. With the above in mind, I am plan on buying a used flux. Which year ... Read More »

Fox Racing Flux (2013) helmet help needed!

Greetings community! Beforehand i'm apologiese for my poor english, it's even not my foreign language. :) I have such a problem. Want to buy a Fox Flux helmet in matte black, but they sold out ewerywhere in EU. Maybe it'll be in stock in month or two, but i need it asap. And then i've notice, that t ... Read More »

Turner Flux Ver. 3.0

The Flux is back on Turner's webpage! [url=http://www.turnerbikes.com/2013-turner-bike-models/flux/turner-flux-frame]Turner Bikes - Turner Bikes - Turner Flux Frame[/url]Read More »

New Flux on Turner website

[URL="http://www.turnerbikes.com/2013-turner-bike-models/flux"]Not sure if this has been posted but the new Flux is on their site.[/URL]Read More »