Cratoni Maniac Helmet

4.8/5 (15 Reviews)

Maniac

Submitted by Rok from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
Very cool looking, good ventilation, very durable. I have had it for 6 years and looks almost as new (the padding just started to deteriorate). Not the best fit, for this price range it should have been made in more sizes. Not the lightest of helmets.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Sub6Pro

Bike Setup:   Elan Slyer 2003

Submitted by Terry Vanden Heuvel a Racer from Ont. Canada

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2003

Strengths:    One of the best things is the hard shell covering the WHOLE helmet, not some exposed foam at the back.This keeps the appearance looking new to this day! Ratcet system and looks.Vents are plentiful.

Weaknesses:    Visor attachment just in middle. I just put one single small screw in tab.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a helmet that won't break if you drop it make sure it has a hard shell ALL over.I believe the Giro do as well.This helmet rocks! I've had no need to buy another because it's durable and good looking.You get what you pay for!

Favorite Trail:   I am still riding!

Purchased At:   NORTHERN CYCLE!

Similar Products Used:   Bell and Leader

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback and Fuel

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Algonquin IL

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    The maniac has great venting and the material is very duriable. it has not cracked or come loose with all of the use and traveling it goes through.

Weaknesses:    The metal or plastic that goes from the turning know up to where it attaches to the helmet has cracked. The material covering it is the only thing holding it in place. Also, the foam pads are deterorating and i cant find any that will replace them.

Bottom Line:
The helmet is great for ventiliation and durability other than the part that has cracked. For any one who wears Okley sunglasses, the back of the ear pieces hit the retencion piece in the back of the helmet. You have to fit them over this piece so they wont feel tight around your head. One of the best features is the turning adjusting knob. It nice to be able to tighten a helmet during a race/ride after it gets sweaty and loosens up. Also the visor doesnt stay in place because it is kinda hefty (the little piece of velcro doesnt quite do the job). i have a small sized head and it fits kinda big bucause of the sm/med sizing they use. for the price i would look for at gero brands.

Similar Products Used:   Bell and Gero

Bike Setup:   '98 cannondale R1000 and '99 cannondale F900

Submitted by Andrew H a Racer from Midland, Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2001

Strengths:    -Amazing fit
-Retention system
-Super bright orange!
-Chicks dig it

Weaknesses:    None at all! Yeah its pricey but considering how important and valuable your head is, its worth every penny!!

Bottom Line:
I love this helmet. I will admit that I did not pay full price for it because I work in a bike shop, but out of the few parts I would actually pay full price for, this is definatley one of them. It fits great, lots of vents, does not move around and is strong!! I took a head plant in a 24hour race in Ontario and the helmet saved my mealon, and was un affected! I would definatley buy this helmet again.

Favorite Trail:   12 Bridges, Bayview Lot

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   A bell helmet and a skate helmet.

Bike Setup:   Norco Team 853, XT cranks, B.B., der, Kore Stem, WTB headset, Mavic rims, xt& chris king hubs, bontrager riser and Marzocchi fork.

Submitted by Marshall a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2001

Strengths:    Fit
Looks

Weaknesses:    Price (if you pay full retail)

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Cratoni Twister. I've tried both Bell and Giro helmets for years and always had the same problems with them -- the helmets did not fit very well and, after riding with them for awhile, the glue which held the velcro pieces to the helmet would come loose, causing the helmet to be loose (I was always pushing the helmet back from falling forward on my head).

The Cratoni has the absolute best fit of any helmet I have tried. Before I bought this helmet I tried on the Giro E2 and the Bell Nemesis 2. The Cratoni's helmet fitting system is so far superior than Bell and Giro that I am surprised it is not more widely used in the U.S. The dial down system gives a perfectly snug fit every time.

To me, all high end helmets look similar. The Cratoni is no different -- the Maniac and Twister versions look just as sleek as top of the line Bell and Giro. But the reason to buy this helmet is for the fit. I doubt you'll find another helmet that fits as well as a Cratoni.

Favorite Trail:   1A

Purchased At:   Ebay auction

Similar Products Used:   Giro, Bell

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Rochester Hills, Michigan

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2001

Strengths:    Light, attractive, and keeps your head cool

Weaknesses:    A couple of tiny, non-noticable paint chips

Bottom Line:
Buy it, Be it, Love it

Favorite Trail:   Lake Orion

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Gyro, Bell, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Mesa GX cheapo

Submitted by Russell Crotts a Cross Country Rider from Marin, CA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2001

Strengths:    way vented, saucy orange color, retension system,

Weaknesses:    Visor is heavy and doesn't stay in place very well. The visor is so heavy that I have done numerous endos because of it! (just kidding, but it is noticably heavy)
The retension straps come down right in back of my ears (I am still trying to find glasses that aren't interfered by it)

Bottom Line:
This is a great helmet. If it wasn't for the hangup w/ my glasses and the retension straps, I would give it a 5. I tend to be a little rough of reviews though because I want people to be pleased w/ what they are buying. The helmet breaths very good and fits perfect at the same time. It seems to resist scratching from trees as you duck under them. I had a cratoni before this one too and am still waiting for the retension to snap. don't know if it will happen, although it still fits good w/out being tightened down.

Favorite Trail:   Can't say, you might be a ranger

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Tomahawk team issue, Bell nemesis pro, troy lee troxel

Bike Setup:   me pedaling hard

Submitted by cary abad a Cross Country Rider from tallahassee,fl usa

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2001

Strengths:    great engineering, effective vents and lock system, very light

Weaknesses:    lock on the visor

Bottom Line:
this is a great product for the money. sure there is alot of cheaper helmet around but if you had been cycling for awhile you would know if the product has been given time and effort in the engineering and detail.
i haven't tested it's crash capabilities but i know it has a 50% retail trade in with the cratoni company. that's alot better than most of the companies around.
wear one and feel the difference.

Purchased At:   supergo

- The "twist thing"
- Vents

Weaknesses:    - Visor a bit on the heavy side
- Price

Bottom Line:
Great helmet which happens to fit my type of head. Good ventilation and style. A bit pricy, but if no other brand or style of helmet can fit you head, then you may want to consider this one, although Cratoni is kind of hard to find, at least in CA.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Bell, Giro

Bike Setup:   K2 5000

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from San Jose

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2000

Strengths:    Vents, and the retention system is by far the best. It's easy to adjust and because it's easy to adjust, it fits right on my head.

Weaknesses:    Visor needs two more places to attach to the helmet. An easy fix with velcro, though

Bottom Line:
This is also a TWISTER helmet review. I tried the Bell's and the Giro's again after a crash. This is a cool looking and cool wearing helmet. The retention system is engineered like no other I have seen. Value rating a helmet is a little weird. Nobody wants to have to need to use it!

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Giro, Bell

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by DirtCrab a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is the German engineered version of head protection. Not only does it fulfill it's intended purpose (protecting ones eggshell of a head), it does this in a very sexy package. What a nice looking helmet. I bought the yellow. If I could have found someone stocking the cool orange color, I would have bought that one.

Others here have mentioned the cool retention mechanism. It really fit better than any other helmet I've ever tried. This is due mainly to the brilliantly designed retention system. It can be tightned or loosened on the fly. Locking your noggin securely in the helmet but VERY comfortably. You can also make slight modifications to the angle and depth of this retention device, say if you have a large overhang on the back of your cranium.

I was also pleased to see that they offer a 50% discount on a replacement helmet if you should be the unfortunate party in a noggin involved crash. Not as good a replacement offer as Giro, but I think this is a better helmet (based on fit) -- so to me it is worth it.

A little expensive (mine was $124.00 at Performance) but well worth the money based on the excellent fit and 50% discount on a crash replacement. Hopefully I'll never have to take them up on this offer.

Favorite Trail:   Cuyamaca Loop

Similar Products Used:   Giro

Submitted by Russell Seaton a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2000

Strengths:    Awesome, wonderful, perfect rear retention system. NO VELCRO to come loose when you jam your helmet down over your headband.

Weaknesses:    Color choices aren't great. I have the purple/silver one. Its OK. Maniac colors are a bit better.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Cratoni Mountain Twister helmet. If the web administrators want to set up a Twister category and move this review, fine by me.

Regular retail on the Twister is $80 from Performance. It more or less looks like the Maniac line except it does not have the plastic coating on the back of the helmet. The Twister is much much lighter weight though because it does not have this plastic coating. I had both helmets for a brief period and could easily compare the two. Twister has a sort of built in visor and a removable one. I have not used the removable one yet and probably will not since it would block vision when ridig in the drops on a road bike.

I have the S/M size Twister. I tried the Maniac S/M also. It is a larger helmet. The syrofoam is shaped differently. By turning the tightening device all the way, I could just get the Maniac to fit. Twister fits my head better. The Maniac is also wider. It fits bigger, wider heads than the Twister helmet. The Large size of these two helmets must fit pumpkins very well.

Helmet seems cool enough with all of the vents. Its been used on some pretty hot and humid rides.

The mechanical rear retention device is so much better than all of the other helmets out there. I like my helmets tight so they stay on and don't move if I were to hit the ground. Velcro rear retention devices used in all other helmets come loose when I put the helmet on over the headband. Or if they are loose enough to fit over the headband, they would move around when you hit the ground and let your head hit instead of the helmet absorbing the force. The Cratoni is the best, by far, method of keeping the helmet secure and in place on your head. I won't go back to velcro again. Velcro is OK for keeping your cycling shoes tight, but not for keeping your head protected.

Favorite Trail:   paved roads

Similar Products Used:   Bell Image Pro.

Bike Setup:   road bikes

Submitted by blitz kreger a Cross Country Rider from walla walla washington

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2000

Strengths:    this is one bad ass helmet, it looks sooooooo cool, i walk around the house with it on and it gulps air and keeps my noggin cool, riding in the winter has proven to be a problem, i have to wear a wool cap it gulps so much air!!
it is really expensive though 150 bucks where i live, granted i paid 70 for it on mtbr.com, (go there) but i think it is worth the price, comfy fit, the retention device is super trick, just twist it and it gets tighter, lightest weight 0of any helmet ive worn, honestly forget you are wearing it, over all it is sweet, buy one, or two, i have the yellow one

Weaknesses:    a bit pricey
more sizes, currently just s/m and lrg/xlrge, i fell kinda in the middle

Bottom Line:
buy one!!!

Favorite Trail:   still looking...

Similar Products Used:   bell image pro
another bell, forzna i do think

Bike Setup:   it is a helmet, why does bike setup matter?

Submitted by Mr Huck a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
As mentioned above, I only tested this helmet in the store I work at. It's awesome! Just walking around the cooling effect it has on my head is noticeable. My head has a really wierd shape, and I have had a really hard time finding a helmet that fits well. I thought I would have to just tough it out and wear an uncomfortable helmet, but this helmet fits me like a dream. When you remove the visor, the helmet still looks great which is important, because other helmets are downright ugly without their visors. I love the orange color that it's available in. Pretty damn expensive though - ouch!

Submitted by Todd Tucker a weekend warrior from Fayetteville, NC

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

I was first attracted to the Maniac because of its alien-look design. When I
received it, I found the quick turn retension system to be fast and reliable.
The helmet felt very comfortable, and could be loosened or tightened with a
quick flip of the dial on the rear of the helmet. I also liked the design of the air vents. There are 27 in all, and riding in the South, all of them are used to keep the head cool.
The true test came when I was riding last week. I did a face plant on one of the local trails that I always ride. I suffered a 2 inch laceration to my mouth area, and several bruises to my face. I was rushed to the ER, where I recieved about 50 stitches. I had X-rays taken of my head, and had no concussions. My helmet took the brunt of the impact, splitting in front, straight up the middle. I am very thankful that I was wearing a helmet, and glad to have the Maniac. Without it, I would surely cracked my noggin.

Knife Weilding Maniac: Butchered Brooks

I was just going to put this in my build thread, but I know there are lots of snow bikes sporting leather saddles so I figure a thread is in order. I've always wanted to butcher and tie my Brooks, but never had the guts. Yesterday, after much planning I finally broke out the leather hole-punch and ... Read More »

Thomas Edison, bike maniac

A few wipeouts and a bunnyhop tutorial Read More »

Cratoni Maniac C helmet

Does anyone have any info on the Cratoni C Maniac helmet with the removable chin guard? They do'nt sell them here in the states. Any online sites in Canada where I can order one? so I dont have to get one from the UK.Read More »

71Fish: Unrepentant Racist & Genocidal Maniac

71Fish meet Hitler, Hitler meet 71Fish. Hitler thought Jews smelled and the world would be better if they were gone (see [U]Mein Kampf[/U]), 71Fish thinks Muslims smell and the world would be better if they were gone (see his post below): [URL="http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2480486#posts ... Read More »

Where to find a Cratoni Road Maniac

Does anyone know where I can buy a cratoni Road maniac helmet? I can't seem to find them anywhere!! Thanks!Read More »