Home | Reviews | Helmet | Bell

• One hand adjustment

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Guiltyr1 a Weekend Warrior from Montgomeryville, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2010

Strengths:    Build, fit and coolness factor.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    Love the helmet - perfect for me... I especially love the way it looks on (without the visor).

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Submitted by Ricksom a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2006

Strengths:    Well priced.
    Good ventilation.
    Good looks.
    Good fit.

Weaknesses:    None really.
    May need to replace the front pad after 3 years.

Bottom Line:
    Damn good helmut at a fair price. Timeless.
    Forget about chasing the latest ego fashion from Giro.

Similar Products Used:   Giro

Bike Setup:   Titus RacerX

Submitted by Kat a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2006

Strengths:    comfortable....good visor to keep sun off...rain too.

Bottom Line:
    This helmet saved my life. I was doing a technical uphill section and ended up doing a wheelie backwards into a creek and landed headfirst onto a razor sharp rock. The outside of the helmet was fine but when I got home and looked the inside was all cracked up. The helmet did it's job.....just bought another x-ray because I know it will perform under pressure.

Purchased At:   BigGear BikeGear

Similar Products Used:   other bell helmets

Bike Setup:   Titus Ti racer X

Submitted by eric a Racer from fall city washington

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2005

Strengths:    cool and cool in summer
    comfortable
    priced well

Bottom Line:
    for a xc helmet it is bombproof and for a smooth rider it lasts forever. I have road ridden, dhed, xc'ed, dirtjumped, and cyclo-crossed and it did all of those without a comlaint. I crash a ton when pushing the limits of my tires and riding ability and it has always been there for me. worth all the money

Similar Products Used:   louis garneu(sucked)others

Bike Setup:   kona kula deluxe plus ritchey and fsa extras, kona road bike, kona pimped out stuff, and kona jake the snake(pimped)

Submitted by C a Cross Country Rider from Monerety,California

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2005

Strengths:    An adjustable Visor,19 intake and outake vents,Fushion in-mold,and it looks cool.

Weaknesses:    You cry after it gets scratched.

Bottom Line:
    It is a excellent helmet.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Ord Goat Trail

Purchased At:   Preformance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Airwave but the Bell X-Ray is way better.

Bike Setup:   2006 Gary Fisher Tass Disc,Hayes So1e hydralic disc brakes,Manitou Axel Platinum Air 100,Deore shifters and front deraileur, LX M-570 rear deraileur,deore hubs,Bontrager select cranks,Bontrager Jones XR tires,Bontrager Ranger rims, 14 gram spokes,Bontrager Select saddle,Bontrager Sport crowbar,Bontrager Sport Stem,Bontrager Sport Seatpost, Truvativ ISIS Gigapipe, Shimano HG-73 chain,Sram PG-950 cassette,and Bontrager Dual Density grips.

Submitted by JT a Weekend Warrior from Northern CA

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2005

Strengths:    Fit, ventilation, profile

Bottom Line:
    Tried a "universal fit" helmet trying to save a few bucks, but I'm a slightly larger size and this didn't cut it. Bell X-Ray has been worth the money. Best combination of comfort , fit, adjustability that I tried. Reasonably low-profile and doesn't give that "bubble-head" look.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   various Giro, Bell

Bike Setup:   2006 Trek 4900

Submitted by Collin a Cross Country Rider from SC

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2005

Strengths:    Fit, ventilation, adjustment system.

Weaknesses:    Pads wear out really fast

Bottom Line:
    This is a great helmet, very cool with a very good fit. I just bought my 3rd one, I have crashed and cracked my helmet twice in the past year, but I didn't crack my skull. The helmet did its job.
    So far I have had to replace the pads in the 1st 2 helmets within 2 months of getting the helmet, this is my only complaint.

Similar Products Used:   Trek Vapor

Submitted by Stephen a Cross Country Rider from maryville TN USA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2005

Strengths:    decent vents

Weaknesses:    still goofy looking

Bottom Line:
    Saved my life when a car hit-and-run at 60mph

Purchased At:   nasbar

Submitted by rwl11 a Cross Country Rider from PDX, OR USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2005

Strengths:    Excellent Fit, great ventalation

Weaknesses:    Visor is TOO long!

Bottom Line:
    After having to buy a new helmet after breaking an older Bell, this one fit great in the store. After riding with it for the first time in the Bend Big Fat Tour for 45 miles, www.bendbigfattour.com , I wondered why my neck was sore. Well, the visor is TOO long, which means I have to hold my head those few degrees higher to see down the trail, or if I hold it in a comfortable position, I can't see far enough and stuff just comes up too fast to react.

Bell has EXCELLENT customer service. When I bought my Silver helmet with a black visor, it wasn't more than 2 weeks when they came with a silver visor. I called Bell and asked if I could by the better looking silver visor. They said 'Sorry, we order 1 visor for every helmet. No extras!' I was astounded 6 months later, when I got a FREE silver visor in the mail, announced. I'll be buying a Bell from now on, the next being a Sweep XC. Fits awesome, shorter visor....I CAN SEE! without the neck problems. Supergo has the best price, $89.99

Favorite Trail:   Falls Creek, WA

Purchased At:   River City

Similar Products Used:   Giro E2, etc

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth ISIS, Race Face galore, hopes

Submitted by Reid a Weekend Warrior from Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2005

Strengths:    Looks good, excellent ventilation, superb fit, GPS retention system

Weaknesses:    A little expensive

Bottom Line:
    I really couldn't be any happier with this helmet. I bought it yesterday because it was on sale half off. There wasn't anything wrong with my old helmet, a Specialized Enduro Comp, but I new as soon as I tried the X-Ray on in the bike shop that I had to have it. Between the outstanding fit, excellent ventilation and light weight, I forgot that I was wearing a helment during my ride today. There's simply no comparision between my old Specialized and the X-Ray. I had no idea a bike helment could be this good. Looks pretty good too (by bike helment standards anyway).

Favorite Trail:   Schultz Creek in Flagstaff

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro Comp

Bike Setup:   GT iDrive

Submitted by Sandman a Cross Country Rider from Pompano, Fl

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2005

Strengths:    COMFORT, LIGHT, VENTILATION

Weaknesses:    Liner pads fell apart

Bottom Line:
    I purchased this helmet out of nessesity. I broke mine loading my gear, had to get one quick and did not really take the time to do the research. In the shop it felt good and was lightweight, it came in a cool blue/grey/black so I got it. Much to my surprise it has been awesome! I love this thing and will not wear anything else. It fits my head perfect, is durable and looks great. I would recommend it highly! Take care of the liner pads though. Mine disentagrated (due to abuse no dought) but a replacement set were available from Bell no problem. Im givin this one a 5+5

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Purchased At:   B&J bikes