Home | Reviews | Helmet | Bell

Bell Sweep Helmet

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : 280 grams MSRP : $136.49

Already one of the most popular and winning helmets on both the road and mountain bike circuits, the Sweep gets even better for 2009.

Submitted by even

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2014

Strengths:    It's light, very light, and the retention system works wonders... your helmet will stay put no matter what happens.

Weaknesses:    It sits really uncomfortable on my head... it might be the shape of my skull, but Giro helmets fit me like gloves so I don't think I have a dinosaur or an alien's cranium. Padding is minimal and not sufficient to absorb sweat. Drops coming down the lid on hot summer days are the consequence. An issue I've never had with my Xen or my E2.

Bottom Line:
I wanted a cooler helmet for road use, but, albeit a good, light lid, it has never given me that "have I forgotten to wear my helmet?" typical of my Xen (which, strangely enough, is much heavier). Retention is fantastic, but the fit is not snug.

For the price, I'd go with Giro. Not a bad helmet by any means, but there's better stuff, out there.

Similar Products Used:   Giro Xen, E2, Havoc, Met 5th Element, Bell Nemesis

Bike Setup:   Xc FTW 29er, Ritchey Swisscross

Submitted by Nitrogenus a Weekend Warrior from Chattanooga, TN

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort. Fit. Style.

Weaknesses:    The sweat pads come out too easily.

Bottom Line:
This helmet has served me well. I have taken a few spills and ENDO'd a time or two, but his helmet did not slip or explode. It breathes well and it fits well.

The sweat pads started coming out, but I wear a bandanna anyway.

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mtn.

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2008

Strengths:    Light, good looking, comfortable for my head, retention system is effortlessly adjusted for use of a bandanna or other under the helmet

Weaknesses:    Relatively expensive, the shell at the rear has cracked off in two symmetrical spots on the left and right from regular use

Bottom Line:
Great helmet. I don't like visors on my helmets, so didn't get the XC version. I use this on my road and mountain bikes. If you compare this helmet to all the other Bell/Gyro helmets, this is one of the lightest, has plenty of ventilation, and is comfortable. I've a roughly 7 3/4" hat size, and wear the Large. The sweat "soak up" pads hold a disgusting amount of sweat until you squeeze it out! The white/silver color looks good but you'll still have non-cyclists saying you look like a Star Trek character.

Universal-fit Bell/Gyro helmets are cheap and work fine for most people. Your head is worth more than the price of a helmet, get one that fits you fine and that you'll wear every single time you ride.

Negative: in two spots on the rear, the shell has cracked off near the edge. It's by the middle rear "split" in the helmet. The core is not damaged, so just a cosmetic issue. An expensive helmet shouldn't do that. That's why I'm not giving it five stars.

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Various cheapo universal Bell and Gyro helmets

Bike Setup:   Entire bike collection

Submitted by Kyle a Racer from Utard, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2007

Strengths:    Light, Strong, Pretty, good ventilation, Retention system is great.

Bottom Line:
This is a great helmet, very cool and comfy in the summer. I really like the adjustable thing in the back, in the winter (20-40 degrees regular riding temp) I can fit a skull cap no problem and stay warm. I just wish I would have gotten a plain white one coz my team colors changed this year... Perfect helmet!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Bell Furio, Pro-tec, Giro

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance w/ full Saint, Fox 36
Giant TCR2

Submitted by Sascha a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Strengths:    Very light, very good ventilation, excellent workmanship, very good fit with Bell GPS fitting system you forget your wearing a helmet. Looks beautiful too.

Bottom Line:
If you have around $100 to spend for a helmet I would recommend this helmet, it is as good as the more expensive Giro Atmos.

If you want a helmet that is lightweight, strong, good fit, good looking and not too expensive this is definitly the helmet for you.

Favorite Trail:   Butterfly Pig

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Giro Atmos

Bike Setup:   Kona Blast frame, SID Team fork, XTR dual control with disc brakes, XT crank hubs and derailleurs, Mavic XC717 wheels

Submitted by Carl a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2006

Strengths:    Great looks, excellent ventilation, light weight, comfortable and the adjustment dial at the back of the helmet works very well.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none.

Bottom Line:
Great helmet if you don't mind paying a little extra. So light you forget you're wearing a helmet all at. Recommend to everyone who wants a pro-level helmet.

Similar Products Used:   Bell Image

Bike Setup:   KHS Alite 4000 Team

Submitted by Dave Carver a Cross Country Rider from Iowa City, IA USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2005

Strengths:    Awesome looks, great ventilation, cool graphics, dial fitting

Weaknesses:    I should have bought the XC version....for like $15 more it is the same helmet with a visor.

Bottom Line:
Rucking fad helmet, but spend the extra few bucks and get the XC version for the removeable visor.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Moab

Similar Products Used:   Bell Vengance, Giro E2

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne Australia

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2005

Strengths:    Very Comfortable & Fits better than any other helmet I've ever had. I've got a faily big head and this doesn't look like it at all.

Weaknesses:    This baby makes my head hot, I don't know if thats the trade off for such a good fit but I find myself taking the helmet off every so often just to cool off. I would still prefer to wear it than my old Animas.

Bottom Line:
Great comfort and looks at a great price (thanks JensonUSA, the only shop I trust to send items across the sea) It is hot so I don't know what it will be like on 40 degree days, Suggest you try a Giro E2 as a comparison before buying.

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfield Lake (2006 Commonwealth Games)

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Giro Animas (same fit range as the Sweep but only just bearable when I sanded a section of the front out)plus a whole range of older Giro's

Bike Setup:   Not that it matters but an Intense Spider,XTR everything,thompson,king,Marzocchi etc

SLX brakes not getting full sweep on rotors

Just installed my SLX brakes with new rotors and I'm not getting a full sweep [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/NuRon/media/IMG_20130601_190937_zps3362594a.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/NuRon/IMG_20130601_190937_zps3362594a.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Can I remove these spacers t ... Read More »

X-Fusion Sweep

June, they say. 160/34/15/46. [url=http://www.pinkbike.com/news/X-Fusion-Introduces-275-Trail-Fork.html]X-Fusion Introduces 27.5" Trail Fork - Pinkbike[/url]Read More »

The Swept Handlebar Sweep Angle List thread

In search of the perfect ergonomic hand position, I have compiled a list of swept back handlebars, sorted by the sweep angle: (width, weight and rise in brackets) Misfit NUbar 15* (600mm 253g) On-One Fleegle 15* (Pro 660mm 240g, Reg 716mm 330g) Salsa Bend 2 17* or 23* (710mm ~305g 5* up) Answe ... Read More »

Lightest 31.8 flat bar with 10+ degree sweep

I have a lightweight (~150g) flat bar on my epic but the 8 degree sweep isn't enough for me to have a neutral wrist position, so I'm looking for something at least as light to replace it with. 31.8mm clamp diameter,with 10+degree sweep, and around 660mm width. I'm not finding much, with Salsa bein ... Read More »

Flat Handlebars - Enve Sweep

So, I'm looking to get some drop on my long travel 29r and it seems a combination of slammed stem and flat handlebars is going to be the answer. Are there a good number of people that make this change on their 29er's? With the stock stem slammed and riser bars on, I get my seat and handlebars just ... Read More »