Home | Reviews | Helmet | Bell

Bell Sweep XC Helmet

4.62/5 (26 Reviews)
Weight : 309 grams MSRP : $145.00

The new Sweep XC picks up where its road racing brethren (the Sweep R) left off and adds Bell's new Variable Position Visor (VPV) to the mix. The VPV allows for 15 degrees of vertical adjustment by using an imbedded clutch mechanism that holds the visor firmly at the desired angle, but allows for easy, on-the-fly changes. Couple this with the 20 breezy vents, Bell's signature GPS Fit System, Fusion In-Mold Microshell and bottom wrap, internal reinforcements and clicked-in graphics and you have a helmet that's destine to go from box to podium in no time flat.

Submitted by mojoman a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2012

Strengths:    light weight, lots of vents, fits many type of heads.

Weaknesses:    back of helmet gets stuck on stuff.

Bottom Line:
this helmet has been my favorite helmet I have ever had. Too bad it is getting old and has developed a crack so I need to replace it soon. It has been super comfortable and fit just right with the adjustable lock. The venting is superb and kept me cool for the most part. The only slght down side is the back design seamed to catch my hydration pack loop once and a while. stuf would just get hung up on it in my gear bag. It looks cool and may help with the venting so I am being kinda picky.

Favorite Trail:   Home

Similar Products Used:   Giro Zen

Bike Setup:   FSR expert 29er

Submitted by anatoly a Weekend Warrior from phillipines

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2011

Strengths:    weight,looks,ventilation,

Weaknesses:    hard to find gps spare&foam pad.

Bottom Line:
nice helmet!

Favorite Trail:   maarat,

Purchased At:   jbl bike shop

Similar Products Used:   giro animas

Bike Setup:   all mtb

Submitted by tigermale a Weekend Warrior from Sweden

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2009

Strengths:    Great looking, great adjustment dial, great ventilation

Weaknesses:    WEAK design

Bottom Line:
This is a great looking helmet, but the fins in the back are weak as hell. I sometimes keep by helmet(s) in my backpack, while going to the store etc. and must've compressed or snagged one of these fins, causing them to break off, foam and all. the plastic shell has come off the foam in several places. if it were'nt for this, i'd give this one 11 pts on a 1-10 scale, but i just can't cope with pricey things breaking down so easily. I'll go with the cheaper ones from now on.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Similar Products Used:   bell avanti, netto

Submitted by ski542 a Cross Country Rider from Bellingha, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2009

Strengths:    Vents heat extremely well. Secure fit on you head. Super light.

Weaknesses:    none (pricey but worth it)

Bottom Line:
My favorite weather is 55 degrees and overcast, so i'm always looking for something to get rid of as much heat as possible. The sweep is worth the price of admission. Keeps my head as cool as possible as the temps heat up during the summer. My last couple of helmets have been cheapo giros and i wish i would have spent the extra cash sooner and picked up this helmet. Another important feature is Twin Access Gear (TAG) system for fit (check out their website for more info). I don't like to have the straps super snug around my chin so it is very important for the helmet to fit securely. I would recommend this helmet to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Galbrith

Similar Products Used:   Older Giro helmets

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5

Submitted by minouchi a Racer from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2009

Strengths:    Great ventilation - After first getting it, I went for a couple of cool weather rides and the only thing that got cold was my head...I just wasn't used to having such a breezy helmet! Light weight, looks good, VERY COMFY! High visor increases your ability to see and reduces neck pain. Easy to adjust on the fly. Bonus: No Helmet Hair! It will flatten your hair, but not give you the big bumps most helmets do!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Love it. Well worth the price I paid! Worth it at full price if you can afford it.

Favorite Trail:   Mount Falcon

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village w/50

Similar Products Used:   Helmets by Giro, other Bell, Trek.

Submitted by twheat a Cross Country Rider from Lafayette, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, looks and feels like a reallly high end helmet at a great pric point. Great air flow, well designed ratchet system.

Weaknesses:    I have yet to take a digger to the head while wearing the sweep, it seems fragile, but then again its BELL and i wouldnt doubt its stength. BELL has never let me down in their higher end helmet line up.

Bottom Line:
I love this helmet.

Favorite Trail:   Marshall Mesa (boulder)

Similar Products Used:   Pro-tec, BERN, other bell XC style.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Pitch Pro.

Submitted by OverfieldA a Racer from Stuttgart Germany

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2008

Strengths:    Does a great job in a crash

Bottom Line:
This is an update to a previous post. I bought my Sweep XC last Feb and was not pleases with the separation between the plastic outside and the foam core and posted a not so glowing review.

On stage 8 of this years Transalp about 20km from the finish (don't ask me how) I ended up crashing and knocking myself out. My teammate thought I was dead, apparently I hit right shoulder then head, and then ended up hitting helmet side first into a curb. When I came around the race doctor was asking me what hurt, and told me that my race was over.

The only problem was my head did not hurt at all. I got up talked the doc into letting me continue, I finished (with my teammate in more shock than me, we finished). Then inspected my helmet and found that it did it's job to a T and like a Secret Service Agent sacrificed it's life to save mine. The plastic shell was scraped and dented but the real value of this helmet was on the inside where you could see where the foam body cracked and gave to protect my head.

I am truly sold on this helmet and plan to replace it with a new Sweep XC very soon. If you ever find yourself going wrong side up, this helmet is the one you need.

Submitted by phildevils@hotmail.com a Racer from sherbrooke, QC

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2008

Strengths:    ventilation is juste too good
the fit is as always perfect

Weaknesses:    a bit expensive for the rider who don't have it to the cost

Bottom Line:
best helmet ever

Favorite Trail:   Baie St-Paul race track

Purchased At:   sports 4 season

Submitted by Jason G a Racer from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2008

Strengths:    fit, feel, ventilation, looks

Weaknesses:    no replacement pads, and trying to find them is not so easy either

Bottom Line:
Great Helmet, no issues, cool on hot humid days, fits like a dream

Favorite Trail:   alll

Similar Products Used:   Giro

Submitted by Andrew Overfield a Racer from Stuttgart, Germany

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2008

Strengths:    Great vents, and a good fit

Weaknesses:    plastic shell pulling away from the foam core

Bottom Line:
Bought a closeout 06 great color red, white and blue. Feels great on my head can wear it for hours with no discomfort.

However I am concerned on the durability of the helmet. Less than a week after I got it, I noticed the plastic molding beginning to pull away from the foam core in several places. Not overly impressed, and concerned that once the helmet is exposed to the hot summer temps, that the problem will only get worse.

Would not buy another

Submitted by Dashiell Feierabend from Anchorage, Alaska

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2008

Strengths:    Light, well vented, swift size adjustment, super styly.

Weaknesses:    Not enough padding, visor seems flimsy.

Bottom Line:
This was the first high end helmet I've bought since getting into MTB. Truthfully, I was quite satisfied with the ancient Aquila despite its weight and lack of venting. But the Sweep is definitely light and airy, styled to make you look like you're at mach speeds when you're standing around playing with your balls. My main complaint is the lack of padding round the back of the helmet...when I press with my hands even lightly, it hurts the nog. That can't feel good in a crash situation, but luckily I've not had the chance to test it. Aside from that, it fits snug and the "GPS" (oh, they are soooo clever to create that acronym...marketing technology is disgusting) works flawlessly. Overall I would recommend it at the $80 steal I got it for, but you might need to customize the padding.

Favorite Trail:   anything that's flowy

Purchased At:   Costco.com

Similar Products Used:   Bell Aquila

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Lahar 02

Submitted by Erik Fiske a Cross Country Rider from Underhill Center, Vermont USA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2008

Strengths:    Plenty of vents, attractive color schemes, easy adjust system, and it fits my head comfortably.

Weaknesses:    has not come between my noggin and the ground yet. No, wait thats a good thing!

Bottom Line:
During my search at the local LBS this was the one that fit me the best but they were gouging at $135+. So I looked online and saved myself $50. It all comes down to comfort and venting for me. I sweat alot so this does just the trick.
If you can find them below $100 go for it, if not, well it is something that protects your brain.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   blue sky cycles

Similar Products Used:   older bell products, none of which even come close to this egg crate.

Bike Setup:   wheels seat pedals, usual bike stuff parts and pieces

Submitted by MntnRnnr a Cross Country Rider from Virginia, USA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2007

Strengths:    Awesome fit.
Excellent ventilation.
Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. (But then again, so is a trip to the ER...)

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome helmet. The fit, with Bell's GPS system is fantastic (at least for me.) The air vents are ginormous - this helmet really ventilates well. Definitely one of the most comfortable helmets I've worn. I'm not sure about the "adjustability" of the visor - doesn't seem to do anything for me - but doesn't matter too much to me. The helmet is a bit on the expensive side - but if you shop around you can usually find it on sale. Overall, a great helmet!!

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Bell Influx. Tried various Giro helmets, but they don't fit my head well. Bell's helmets do.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from central valley, CA.

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Strengths:    The fit is second to none. Great styling. Breathes well. Lightweight. Nice visor. Crash replacement program.

Weaknesses:    Mine did not come with extra pads.

Bottom Line:
I cannot believe how comfortable this helmet is. It also looks bad@ss with the matte black/carbon color scheme. I was thinking about getting a Giro Atmos, but they don't come with a visor option, so the Sweep XC was the winner. It also is about $50 cheaper than the Atmos and it fits better. If you are thinking about getting this helmet, get it, you will not be disappointed. The crash replacement program is also a good incentive for peace of mind if you shall ever push this helmet to it's breaking point.

Favorite Trail:   Can't tell you!

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Giro Stelvio, Giro Havoc, Specialzed M1.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Marathon mountain bike.
Specialized E5 S-Works road bike.

Submitted by Jeremie from Newport, RI

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2007

Strengths:    Looks bad-ass, fits snug as a glove with the GPS, and is super comfortable...I love it!

Weaknesses:    None...maybe the cost

Bottom Line:
I just got the Sweep XC off eBay for pretty cheap, wore it for a few rides and loved it...then tried to eat a sidewalk and cracked it all up. My shoulder hurts like hell, and I took some skin off my face, but my head was fine...not even a headache! Just to note, when I called about the crash replacement program Bell has, I guess they have a new program where they give you 30% off a new helmet...or with the old program you can send it in and get a new one for $35. So, $104 or $35...you do the math, but I stuck with the old program.

Purchased At:   eBay