Home | Reviews | Helmet | Bell

Bell Super Helmet

4.35/5 (17 Reviews)

If you look closely, under all that enduro-influenced design, you can see Bell's mid-century motorsport heritage in the Super Helmet. Subtly paying homage to a time when engines were restricted by their creator's ability and leather protective gear was quickly abandoned in favor of the much safer...

Bell Super Helmet Pro Review

The Bell Super is one of the new breed of helmets solely designed to address the demands of All Mountain riding and Enduro racing. Some of these needs are for more coverage, a better and more flexible visor system, and compatibility with goggles and even Gopro POV systems. So the Bell Super went out and attacked all these needs and came up with a great looking helmet available in a ton of designs and colors. The helmet is affordable at $125 but is hefty at 390 grams. Continue reading →

Submitted by louevil a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2014

Strengths:    looks
comfort/fit; this is purely a subjective measure as what works for me may not work for you,
visor is very adjustable and is high quality
build quality seems in-line with a 100-120 price point helmet, possibly safer helmet for more aggressive riding?

Weaknesses:    Ventilation is terrible, it's on heavy side but this helmet is geared towards more protection

Bottom Line:
Disclaimer:
I've only owned XC-style helmets so keep that in mind. I was looking for something that matches the highly rocky, technical and sometimes dangerous trails I frequent.

I wanted badly to like this helmet. It was one of the best fitting helmets I've ever owned. It looked cool and I picked one up for $80 on CLIST brand new. However, after 2 warm weather rides in the front range of Denver I had enough. Most of our rides start with a 30-60 minute climb of 800-2000 feet. Compared with any other helmet I've owned I had sweat beading down into my eyes more with this one. The front part of the helmet is especially hot when compared with the Giro/Specialized lids I've worn a as of late. Once moving a little faster it felt a little better but still very hot.

Buy it: if you do short rides of moderate intensity, are a park rat or want a separate helmet for cooler weather.
Avoid it: if you do longer rides of moderate to high intensity in hot weather

I sold it and am going to buy a Stoker which is lighter and ventilates better (not to mention cheaper).

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Giro, other XC type helmets

Submitted by keithrad a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2014

Strengths:    Solid helmet. Retention system allows for use with one hand. Snug fit stays put! Feels like a real helmet that will protect your melon.

Weaknesses:    cost

Bottom Line:
Have not used in the harshest of summer yet, but so far I'm really impressed with the air flow. Especially as big and full coverage as the Super is. I was worried about this living in Texas, but has not been an issue to this point.
Fit and feel is great, but as others have said it does fit on the large side so you may need to try one on before buying blindly. For reference I was a large size in my Giro Xen. I went with a large with the Bell but it is tightened almost all the way in. The visor is also worth noting as it is very functional in shading from the sun. It is very adjustable and usable not like many of the so called visors on other helmets that seem to be for aesthetics alone.

Similar Products Used:   (2) Giro Xens'

Submitted by man w/ one hand a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2014

Strengths:    Love the retension system, visor couldn't be any better IMO. Holds up very well & works as intended with goggles. Killer style (love my black w/white racing stripe). Love the Gopro integrated mount.

Weaknesses:    Gopro mount should be universal w/ light mounts by now, but realistically the only problem I have w/ my Bell Super is when its wet & even goggles w/ silicone in strap will slide off of the slick finish of this helmet.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line: for myself the only thing this is helmet isn't is a fullface. Been waiting for tbis helmet for a awhile. Good value.

Purchased At:   Clarks Bicycle Cente

Similar Products Used:   Protec Ace dig

Submitted by kwoodward a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2014

Strengths:    Fit, comfort, protection, durability, design, style

Weaknesses:    Really none as long as you don't pay retail

Bottom Line:
Up until now I have been a lifetime Giro owner when it comes to helmets, with the Feature my last two all-mountain MTB lids. What I liked about the Feature was the additional coverage on the back of my head and the low price. However after getting less than a year of wear out of my last purchase (internal padding just melted away) I was open to other options. After reading the glowing review in MTBR about the Bell Super I tried one on at a local shop and immediately liked the fit and solid internal design. Just felt good from the moment I put it on. Have worn it on about a dozen rides, rain and shine, warm and cold, I like it better every day. As some have noted, the Go Pro mount is nice if you have one, but easily removable if you don't. The velcro strap that came with my light fits on the top of this helmet without forcing the issue or leaving a red welt on my forehead after a long ride. Also like the larger visor and added rear head protection. And when I wear goggles really like the way they slip up under the front of the visor when not needed, and the way the edge of the strap sits under the hinge on both sides. Some may feel the sticker price is a little on the high side but you get what you pay for in this case. And if you shop around and wait for a deal you can cut 25-30 percent off retail. I am very picky and really evaluate my gear before purchasing, but can say with confidence that I would purchase this helmet again in a heartbeat. If you happen to find a better one, please let me know.

Similar Products Used:   Giro Feature

Bike Setup:   Tallboy LT

Submitted by Taildragger

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2014

Strengths:    Comfort, venting.

Weaknesses:    $124 MSRP ;)

Bottom Line:
After deciding to replace my former lid due to it being just plane uncomfortable and the retention system deteriorating, I looked for an 'enduro' style helmet. The Bell Super had what I was looking for. The added coverage and positive retention are pluses, The plushness of the interior reminds me of powersports helmet. I was dreading the lack of ventilation with the added coverage but this has definitely not been the case. The location of the chin straps is great and works well with glasses. I doubt I'll use this helmet with goggles but the repositionable visor is nice.
All in all, I am very pleased!

Submitted by teecat

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2014

Strengths:    Protection, solid, secure and adjustable retention system, fit, comfortable sweat-absorbing liner, good ventilation for the amount of coverage. Swing visor is a nice feature even without goggles. The level of protection afforded makes it a great value, even though it's expensive. Weight still seems light for the amount of helmet.

Weaknesses:    price. wish the detachable mount was configured for a light rather than a gimmicky go-pro camera (this still ain't a downhill helmet)

Bottom Line:
Have used this for about 12 rides, but only in winter so far. Still the ventilation seems to perform much better than expected for a wrap-around helmet. The thing is incredibly solid, with a feel of quality like it's an ultra lightweight motorcycle helmet. (You rap it with your knuckles and it rings.) The fit, security, and comfort of the liner is awesome. The padding feels great and absorbs sweat well (the silver impregnated fabric has eliminated all smell so far). The retention system adjusts from bare head to using a fleece skull cap for winter rides with complete comfort and security. The swing visor is nice - I keep it up most of the time for an open field of vision that changes the character of the helmet. Going into the sun, a quick swipe down provides great shading. The camera mount is a gimmick to me. I'd mcuh rather this attachment be set up to accept a handlebar-type light mount instead. This is an expensive helmet, but experience has taught me that this level of protection is an immeasurable value. I can never see myself using a "lid" again unless this thing turns out to be a real furnace during the summer.

Submitted by Psychomike55 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2014

Strengths:    Protection, Fit, Retention System, Camera Mount Feature

Weaknesses:    Venting for trail use on hot days

Bottom Line:
I've used this lid for SuperD, DH, All Mountain and trail use. Fit and finish is excellent. Fit of the helmet and the adjustability are excellent. Pads feel good and are easy to remove to clean. Camera mount feature is easy to use and provides great footage. I highly recommend this helmet for anyone looking for a trail/All Mountain/SuperD lid this is the one. The Super has excellent protection and has great fit, feel, finish and quality as well as many or more features than the competing lids and provides them at a great price point.

If you are looking for a XC lid look elsewhere like the Volt or Gage (I have both of these lids as well). These helmets are both lighter and have greater venting for those hot days and hard efforts for extended periods. These helmets are more expensive than the Super however and may bite the wallet a bit.

Favorite Trail:   Aliso / Laguna Wilderness Area

Duration Product Used:   @1 year

Purchased At:   Bike Religion UCI

Similar Products Used:   Troy Lee A1

Bike Setup:   Intense Carbine 29, Rockshox Pike 160mm, Cane Creek DB AIR CS, Reynolds Carbon Trail 29 Wheels, Maxxis High Roller II's, XO1 drivetrain, Avid Trail 9 brakes (180/180mm)

Submitted by rzims

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2014

Strengths:    comfort, fit

Weaknesses:    a little pricey

Bottom Line:
Bought this helmet to replace my Bell Variant. Almost wish i had tried on a less expensive model first because once I tried this on, I couldn't find another helmet that fit as nicely.
Rode today with it and it was great. tightens nicely, was comfortable in a 2+ hour ride, doesn't wiggle or move at all.
Didn't use the gopro mount so no idea how that works

Submitted by Taroroot a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2013

Strengths:    Great fit, increased coverage, substantial visor with secure retention, GP accessory mount

Weaknesses:    Hotter than my old Flux, visor hardware not stainless, GoPro if used with extensions start to get wobbly.

Bottom Line:
The Bell Super fit my head shape the best of any helmet I've tried or had so far. Snug but no tight spots. When it on & adjusted it doesn't move around, even with a gopro mounted. The visor is pretty substantial and actually makes a functional difference. It stays put, my Fox Flux visor flew off and never stayed on after. The knob hardware isnt stainless and rusts though so you need to keep an eye on that. The two piece padding is nice, compared to the six various little easy to lose pieces of my Flux. Annoying that the tension system straps go through a captured hole in the main pad though, I fixed that with two quick snips of a sciccors. At a standstill it feels hotter than my Flux, in motion don't notice. Haven't had a chance to test usage with goggles. The GoPro mount is a cool feature, but if you use any kind of extension, the two
ittle Velcro tabs holding it in cant provide enough force to keep it from wiggling. I fabricated my own reenforcing for that. Increased side coverage does interfere a bit with glasses, but I'm used to using full head and automotive sport helmets so I'm used to this.
In all I really like this helmet, the fit really makes it for me.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   Fox Flux

Bike Setup:   All mountain

Submitted by Dave

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2013

Strengths:    One handed fit adjustment. Tilting visor. Good ventilation. Back of head protection.

Weaknesses:    Costs more than most helmets but I managed to find it on sale.

Bottom Line:
I don't use the GoPro mount since I always wear my full face when I am riding anything worth filming. I use this lid for XC only and appreciate the extra coverage in the back just in case. I do use the adjustable visor not for goggles but sometimes I like to lift it a little higher to get the visor totally out of my range of view. I like the fit adjustment feature. I'll loosen it when putting it on so it doesn't push down my sweat band and then it can be secured tightly by the dial with one hand. I haven't taken any hits with this helmet yet but I would buy it again for sure if I had to retire it from a crash.

Submitted by Greg Hendricks a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable, sturdy, attractive, adjustable, Go-Pro mount. Google adaptable. covers the back of your skull

Weaknesses:    Sometimes the helmet slips forward with Go-Pro mounted on and the mount will loosen up on a rugged ride. Still works well.

Bottom Line:
This is the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned. It makes me easy to see when I am commuting and also when I am in the mountains. those riding with me can always spot me. The helmet comes down over the back of your head to provide additional protection. I have a bell helmet shaped head and this one is the best yet. Just retired another bell helmet because it was getting about 5 years old. This one is even more comfortable and a best buy in my book.

I love the dial that allows adjustments and also the padding is great.

Favorite Trail:   City Crek, Gibson Jack

Purchased At:   Interbike

Similar Products Used:   Bell, Giro

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 0

Submitted by clarkrw3

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2013

Strengths:    Coverage, gopro mount, easy to mount light. large movable visor

Weaknesses:    a little pricy

Bottom Line:
I have been a Giro loyalist since the late 80's and have owned a number of helmets in that time. This marks the first helmet I have owned from a company other than Giro. In the past Bell helmet's haven't fit me really well but this one fits like a glove. It has the perfect a amount of padding and I always wear a head band so no problems with sweat here. The plastic is very nice and it has a great fit and finish I bought the matte red one. Love the visor positioning and ability to wear goggles and place them up on the helmet under the visor. I bought the helmet mainly to put a gopro on to film my son in front of me but now it has became my go to helmet. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a high coverage "enduro" style helmet. I would recommend trying it on before you buy because with all helmets just because it looks cool doesn't mean it's going to fit your head.

Submitted by Kent

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2013

Strengths:    Has GoPro mount

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable fit, Cheap plastic, Can't take the heat. Customer Service

Bottom Line:
Bought this helmet and the fit was uncomfortable compared to other helmets. I always wear a medium, so the size was right. I left the helmet in the car for a few hours in a parking lot after a ride and the visor warped badly. With normal use, both visor hold down knobs broke off inside the helmet. One broke off when I just tossed the helmet on to the couch. The only good thing about the helmet is the GoPro mount, but it's not worth it. The GoPro chest mount is better anyway. Customer service is worthless. I wouldn't recommend this helmet to anyone.

Submitted by CB a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2013

Strengths:    Great coverage, solid retention system, nice color selection, GoPro mount looks solid and nice large visor.

Weaknesses:    The padding does not wick sweat well. The Velcro tabs are detaching from the shell, after one ride. The pads on the right side are super rough, had to ask for new ones from Bell. Pricey

Bottom Line:
I bought the blue helmet and up close it is much nicer than In the pictures. It's a matte color which really stands out nice without being loud. The retention system is very easy to adjust and it provides a comfortable fit. I really like that you can move the whole system up or down. There are three positions you can use. You have to press the new ones in real hard to make it click in and secure. I don't use a camera, but the GoPro mount seems solid and easy to take off and put back on.
I love the overall coverage on this helmet which is the main reason I chose it. It seems to provide more protection all around. I paid $124.00, which I think is little bit on the steep side. I don't mind paying for my gear, but at this price and after only one ride I would expect the Velcro adhesive to stay glued to the shell. I also found that the pads have some very abrasive edges and had to request a replacement from Bell, but they seemed very attentive and responsive.
I really can't say that the pads are either real good or real bad. Sweat was pouring down and dripping onto my glasses and it was only 80 degrees today. I would lean more towards saying they don't wick moisture away any better than my old Giro. The pads can not be removed without detaching the retention system. To remove the pads you need to release the plastic leg from the red tabs here they click in. The plastic leg on the retention system goes through a slit in the pads on the right and left side of the helmet by your ears. I have a feeling that if you do this frequently you will weaken that connection and that will pretty much ruin the helmet. I prefer pads that can just be easily removed so they can be washed. Over all I think the helmet has many nice features, but I think that Bell should find a different way to retain the pads. Once I get these pads to stay put with a little extra Velcro I think it'll work nicely. There are definitely many more positives to the helmet than not. I can't give it 5 chilis because there are some issues with the pads, that shouldn't even exist for a helmet in this price range.

Favorite Trail:   Bear creek park NH all the trails