Home | Reviews | Helmet | Bell

Bell Stoker Helmet

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Bell Stoker Bicycling Helmet is Bell's newest design for Enduro/Freeride biking. Offering huge protection and ample cooling characteristics, the Stoker can take the abuse you dish out all day, every day. Good also for competing enduro racers.

Submitted by silentG a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2014

Strengths:    Nice venting keeps head cool
Ability to dial-in fit
Weight is good/non-noticeable
Visor is unobtrusive

Weaknesses:    Sweat bomb, see general comments
Wish it had bug netting

Bottom Line:
I used my Uvex XP 100 for a number of years and it was starting to get tired so I started looking around at options.

I don't see the point of shelling out huge dollars for a helmet and my baseline for comparison was the Uvex.

I saw a number of positive reviews for the Stoker and went for it in the white.

After a number of months I can say that I really like this helmet. The fit system isn't quite as slick as the Uvex but it is no slouch either.

The Uvex had pretty good venting but I would take it off occasionally for long climbs in the summer time as I would feel really warm.

I don't have to do this with the Stoker as the size and number of vents always keeps the temperature under the helmet feeling nice which is a trick here in Arizona.

There are only two niggles that I have with the Stoker at this point.

The first is that some bug netting would be a welcome thing under the vents as the vents are large enough that bugs or an occasional piece of a tree will end up under the helmet. Not a big deal but a minor detail type of thing.

The second I think has to do with the Coolmax lining in the helmet and the fact that I have a shaved head.

It seems like sweat will absorb into the Coolmax pad on the forehead and if I press on the front of the helmet or change the expression on my face (move muscles in other words) in certain ways I get a dump of sweat drops down my forehead and into my sunglasses.

What I do periodically now is take off my sunglasses while I'm riding and look down while pressing briefly on the front of the helmet to dump the sweat out of this pad.

I'm not sure how Bell would address this issue and maybe it isn't an issue for people with more hair. Would be nice to have the sweat cycle out to the sides of my forehead but like I said, I expect this trait now so dealing with it isn't a big deal.

There are helmets our there with more blingly features but the Stoker is a real value for the money and a very solid helmet overall.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Uvex XP 100

Submitted by tigris99

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2014

Strengths:    Fit, ventilation, set and forget adjustment.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to get adjusted.

Bottom Line:
Love this helmet. Been hunting for a decent helmet that fits my "fat head" comfortably and stays put. Been through a couple helmets and tried on alot. Always a size issue because my head is more a round dome. So all choices meant XL and no color choices only black and grey.

then I happened to try on a bell super. Large fit perfect....wth... Then realized bell makes their helmets with more room on the sides to fit more round headed ppl. But having trouble paying $125 for a helmet. Found the stoker for $65 and in the color I liked. Ordered it on a hope it would fit the same as bell site shows it actually has a bit more room than the super. And was right, perfect fit. Took a few minutes to get it adjusted right. Once set I hit the trails.unlike any other helmet this one didn't move. No more having to fight my glasses being knocked down, visor blocking line of site, any of it. And heat/sweat management was awesome. No sweat in my eyes at all, was cool and comfy the whole ride.

for those with round heads and don't wanna pay a premium get this helmet!!

Importance of stoker standover

I am looking at trying out the whole mtb tandem thing, but my wife is tiny with a 25" standover. Given that none of the stock sizes of true offroad tandems will give her anything but negative standover, is there any chance of us feeling comfortable on semi technical trails without a very custom f ... Read More »

Any experience with young child as stoker?

I could not find much information on this topic searching through old threads. My son, 3 1/2 years old, started riding on the back of my road tandem last summer a couple of months before he was 3. He's ridden about 700 miles with me so far and he has loved all of it. I think I would like to tak ... Read More »

Carbon stoker bar?

What do you think? I know that we bang ours on trees all of the time, but they are a bunch lighter than standard aluminum bars. Something like this is what I'm thinking: [url=http://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-Bike-Handlebars/Easton-EC90-XC-Flat-Handlebar]Easton EC90 XC Flat Handlebar > Components ... Read More »

Hayes (Stoker Trails) stands behind their product

I run a set of Hayes Stroker Trails, hyd disc brakes on my 29er SS. I have been running these for a couple years. I wrote John Trusky @ Hayes asking some advice about my pistons sticking a little. He said just send them to me, he rebuilt the master cylinders and replaced the caliper pistons and bled ... Read More »

Stoker Seat Pads

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]Hey people, I am making seat pads for rear decks on cargo bikes. I have some ideas for materials, but would like your input on what you would like, or to see any pics of what you have come up with to make the ride more comfortable. Here are some pics of my first handmade ... Read More »