Home | Reviews | Helmet | Bell

Bell Metro Helmet

3.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Rise up, commuters, messengers and grocery-getters, a helmet with the styling, graphics and features for your life awaits. We've kept all the well-placed vents and added some style, but dropped the attitude. The result is a helmet that screams cool without saying a word. From colors that work with non-lycra clothing to a new tactile SoftShell bottom wrap and innovative new features and optional upgrades, the Metro is a work of understated utilitarian art.

Submitted by spiro vagenas a Racer from denmark

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2007

Strengths:    simple cleancut look

Weaknesses:    Very badly designed straps-i.e. they fold out instead of in.
weight
low quality viser-mine was worped before I even had the helmet on
eccessories offer minimal functional use, if any at all

Bottom Line:
I'm actually a bit lost for words here. I'v had my Met helmet for as long as I can remember. I bought the Metropolis because I had the money and thought the rain cover to be ingenious. I ordered the attachable mirror as well. Once fitted the mirror is practically unusable and seriously nerdish looking. The rain cover traps the heat in. After 20 minutes of normal cycling it feels like you've had your head stuck in a microwave oven and this is mid winter in Denmark. I have therefor very reluctently binned both the mirror and rain cover. I also find the air vents on the helmet insufficient and am therefor back with my old Met.

As a spare helmet and when used for going round the block to the lokal groser, for the right price, this could be the one for you.
For even the half serious cyclist, this is not the one.

The bottom line is the Metropolis is an exciting concept, but fails on nearly all fronts.

Favorite Trail:   shootout

Purchased At:   wiggle.com

Similar Products Used:   Met & only a few others

Bike Setup:   Koga-Miyata tla-s

Submitted by Stuart Latimerlo a Cross Country Rider from Belmont, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2006

Strengths:    Good fit, functional design, cool accessories, Good Looks.

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
Functional, comfortable, and...FINALLY, I helmet that doesn't look dorky. I like the optional accessories and did I mention that it looks good?! :) Road or Mountain Bikers - Weekend Warriors, XCs, and some FRs can benefit from this helmet, not just commuters.

Favorite Trail:   Waterdog lake

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Pro NX 7.5/Marzocchi MX Comp ETA/Shimano XT Gruppo/Vuelta Vision

Submitted by GENE RIVER a Weekend Warrior from Overland Park KS USA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2005

Strengths:    Fit, look, nothing fancy or flashy. Visor that really works.

Weaknesses:    Front straps are touching my ears.

Bottom Line:
A no nonsense piece of equipment. Lower rating because of the front straps placement.

Favorite Trail:   Indian Creek

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting goods.

Similar Products Used:   Bell V1 Pro, Specialized what ever..

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from Dublin, CA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2005

Strengths:    Great looks, fits perfect, lot of upgrades available, many color options. It doesn't look stupid on your head.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find.

Bottom Line:
This is definitely the best helmet I have ever used. It feels great, looks great, and has options to boot. Bell did their homework on this one. I'm finally happy with a helmet.

Favorite Trail:   any trail

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Lots of Giros, 661 XC Bravo, other Bells, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Supergo Access XCL 18" hardtail(the best) with Avid mechanicals and Hadley hubs.

Submitted by Rick Krough a Weekend Warrior from Saratoga Springs NY USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2004

Strengths:    Better overall protection due to less vent holes. The retention system keeps the helmet in place without having to choke yourself with the strap, It doesn't look Gay

Weaknesses:    when you first use it the strap adjustments won't stay in place. but after a while the strap stretches a bit and it is fine

Bottom Line:
If you want a helmet that offers better overall protection with a more classic look this helmet is tough to beat.

Favorite Trail:   Misery Mountain

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   lots of helmets

Bike Setup:   I have a whole bunch of bikes

Submitted by American Lesion a Cross Country Rider from McKean, County, PA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2004

Strengths:    Superior fit, numerous upgrade kits--lights & winterization--good looks.

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses?

Bottom Line:
Best darn helmet I've ever owned. Not just for commuters. Roadies and mountain bikers that are practically minded should enjoy this one.

Favorite Trail:   Venango County Trail Network (Oil Creek, Allegheny, and East Sandy Creek Trails)

Similar Products Used:   Bell V-1 Pro, Vetta Corsa, Various Nsahbar models, Cheapie Bell big-box store models, Bell Stratos

Bike Setup:   Does this really matter here? I mean I have 5...and that's just mountain bikes.

looking for good mechanic in metro west area

I recently moved to the metro west area and am looking for a good shop with a knowledgeable and honest service department. I know how tune up my own bikes and have most tools needed for routine bike service. The two shops closest to me are Frank's Spoke n Wheel in Sudbury and ATA Cycle in Concord. I ... Read More »

Best shop in North Metro Detroit is..... Rochester Bike Shop!!!

I have been to a lot of bike shops around the North Metro area and by far my favorite is Rochester Bike Shop. Zach and Ron are very knowledgeable and just great guys in general. I wish they carried more brands but Yeti is top notch. I won't let anyone but those guys work on my bikes. If you are ... Read More »

Come on Central Ohio folks, why not Highbanks Metro Park?

Whenever I visit Columbus where I'm from, I hit Alum Creek. It's such a drive for not much trail. Has anyone (COMBO) tried to get permission to build trails at Highbanks. Seems they have plenty of land to do it.Read More »