Home | Reviews | Helmet | Bell

Bell Influx Helmet

4.63/5 (59 Reviews)
Weight : 309 grams MSRP : $65.00

The Bell Influx bicycle helmet priced at a great value and is designed for trail riding, touring/trekking, and MTB XC Race?s. Features the helmet has includes 18 vents, blade visor, GPS fit system, channeled ventilation and cam-lock levers.

Submitted by tech98 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2013

Strengths:    Multiple sizes for better fit, good value

Weaknesses:    Flimsy visor and pads

Bottom Line:
Most one-size-fits-all helmets feel wonky on my big head, so it was a relief to find the size Large Bell Influx. Good price, fits my head shape and size just right. Visor is flimsy and pads wore out fast. But it does the job, has saved me from some nasty tree branches.

Submitted by for_SCIENCE

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2013

Strengths:    Many sizes, good airflow, looks, fits comfortably once adjusted correctly.

Weaknesses:    visor is on the flimsy side, loose ends of straps can be messy to manage. Bigger sizes (L, XL) can be hard to find in stock in stores.

Bottom Line:
While you can't put a price on safety, for a relatively new rider like myself this is a fine choice. It might not be as light or good looking as pricier models/brands, but due to safety standards they all do the same job: protect that blob of meat and fatty tissue on top of your shoulders. Any more money spent is just going to get you better fit, appearance, quality, and lighter weight.

Submitted by Predrag Babic

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2013

Strengths:    This is my fourth Influx,and its hard to beat comfort,safety,weight,fit,and Bell product support if you need new pads.Highly recommend if you have large volume head.Easy to tight and adjust,nice visor too.Go for.

Bottom Line:
If you need beautiful god fit light helmet buy Influx.The pads is very nice easy to wash and comfortable.Nice visor keep branches away from you ayes.Love it,and highly recommend.

Submitted by Raj a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2012

Strengths:    Strong. Well Ventilated. Easy to adjust. Removable visor. Comfortable inner pads. Stays in place. Cost. Looks Awesome.

Weaknesses:    The visor is made out of pretty flimsy material, but hey it does the job.

Bottom Line:
Landed on my head quite a few times, and this helmet was never damaged. More importantly, my head is still intact. I like it so much that I use it both on the road and on the trail. Will buy another one when this one is done.

Submitted by debusama a Racer from Spokane, Wa

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2011

Strengths:    removable visor, good ventilation, cheap, comes in multiple sizes.

Bottom Line:
All helmets have to meet standards to insure they function in protecting your head. I think it's ridiculous to spend a lot on a piece of foam with straps. The drawback of the cheap helmets is the universal sizing, so someone with a medium sized head has to use a big bulbous helmet that will fit on a large head. This one comes in sizes, which allows you to get one that fits well. It looks good with the removable visor on or off, so people like me who ride/race both road and mountain still get the sun blocking benefits of the visor, without having it catch wind on a road ride. Not having to buy separate Road/mountain helmets fits in will with my aversion to spending on helmets.

Favorite Trail:   High drive bluff

Purchased At:   Spoke n Sport

Submitted by nondairybubonic a Cross Country Rider from st joe, mi

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2010

Strengths:    good air flow

Weaknesses:    staps get twisted atround pretty easily, viser is cheap

Bottom Line:
was a good helmet served its purpose used for 1.5 years have to retire it took a head impact with several cracks through the foam, with out it id woulda been fubar' good entry level lid

Favorite Trail:   andrews

Purchased At:   local shop

Bike Setup:   07 trek top fuel

Submitted by backwardnomad a Weekend Warrior from Wooster, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable, cool, fits my large head, easy to adjust, stylish, good visor, outstanding price, meets safety standards

Weaknesses:    None I can see

Bottom Line:
I'm an older, casual rider (city streets and cycling trails) who needs a comfortable, reliable helmet in a large size, with a visor. I already had a comparable Giro Phase helmet (bright blue and white), but I ordered the Bell Influx primarily for the color (dark blue and silver/titanium), to match my bike better. Bell, like Giro, has a solid reputation and the list price of the Influx was $20 less than the Phase, even without the dealer's discount. Given the positive reviews the Bell Influx has received, I felt confident it would be right, and I haven't been disappointed. It fit me almost without adjustment straight out of the box, looks great, and is very well ventilated. I'm wearing it and keeping my Giro helmet for a backup or loaner.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   Giro Phase

Bike Setup:   Giant Suede DX (cruiser)

Submitted by babu9000 a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2010

Strengths:    Good venting. light weight, good fit, great protection

Weaknesses:    chin strap can be a pain to adjust, but not bad

Bottom Line:
I fell about 10 feet straight down off a ledge and landed on my back and hit my head, The helmet saved my noggin. It had a good size dent on the side and back. I didn't realize that I hit my head that hard until I looked at the helmet afterwards. I just bought another one just like it.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   cheap Bell from Target

Submitted by joe blow a Cross Country Rider from minneapolis

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    price, style

Weaknesses:    Tightening system is too low and pulls the tensioners over your ears.

Bottom Line:
Bought the helmet and am going to return it. The plastic tensioners that tighten around your head are annoying and get in the way on your ears when you have to wear glasses. I tried just pushing them back up, but they kept creeping down and digging into my ears.

Favorite Trail:   any

Submitted by runctrack a Cross Country Rider from East Lansing

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2010

Strengths:    The helmet breathes very well and the appearance is not bad.

Weaknesses:    I have not had any problems with the straps stretching but I did notice that the visor comes off easily.

Bottom Line:
Good helmet, can not be beaten for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Poto

Purchased At:   velocipede

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse warrior

Submitted by GTA a Cross Country Rider from Grayslake IL USA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2010

Strengths:    Perfect and super comfortable fit for my XXL head (I assumed it years ago). Fantastic ventilation.

Weaknesses:    very limited availability in stores (if you need/like to try size before buying, like I do).

Bottom Line:
Like custom made for me.

Purchased At:   amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Giro Indicator (not as comfortable)

Bike Setup:   Trek MTB mid level.

Submitted by SHALAKO a Weekend Warrior from Carlsbad,CA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2009

Strengths:    Good price, good brand, well ventilated

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Well worth the price, Ive wrecked (hard) on all the bell helmets Ive owned and always got right up and kept riding. The bottom line is you cant go wrong with Bell

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock

Similar Products Used:   Other Bell helmets over the years

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT

Submitted by strommy76 a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, FL USA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Strengths:    Did its job - protected my head.

Weaknesses:    Crappy adhesive bonding the interior pads to the foam.

Bottom Line:
Came around a blind turn a smacked right into a tree that had fallen down across the trail. The impact stopped me cold (all 225 lb) from about 8 MPH and crushed the left side of the helmet. But I was able to ride out and didn't have any head or neck pain. The helmet did its job well. The only knock is the adhesive that bonds the Velcro pads to the inside of the helmet. After about a year, they came off and I had to superglue them back on.

Favorite Trail:   The Chutes

Purchased At:   Bellhelmets.com

Similar Products Used:   A couple of random helmets, mostly Bell.

Bike Setup:   '06 Fuel EX9 with Race Face Atlas FR crankset & chainrings, XT deraileurs & shifters, SRAM 970 cassette & PC-991 chain, Laser V seat, Monkeylite DH handlebar, Thomson X4 100mm x 10 deg stem, ESI grips, Kenda Nevegal 2.35 UST tires with Stan's no-tube, Eggbeater SL pedals, Lake MX-165 shoes

Submitted by SIHagedorn a Weekend Warrior from silver spirng, Maryland, usa

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    Looks good, light weight, comfortable, and a great price!

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Great product at a great price!

Purchased At:   twoknobbytires.com

Submitted by chustig a Weekend Warrior from Lonsdale

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Strengths:    Fits my head the goodest of all brands, looks pretty sharp, protects my head from hard stuff, good ventilation, lasts,

Weaknesses:    Straps lengthen when wet (I sweat a LOT), hmmm...that's it. It's a tough helmet as far as I can tell.

Bottom Line:
I bought this mid 2003 when I bought my first off road bike. I thought some other helmets looked cooler (Giro Xen), but this one just fit my head pretty f'in good. And while not as cool looking, it still looked good. I got grey.

Seems to me most comparable helmets will protect your head about the same in a crash, and most seem well vented too. So the most important factor for me is fit. Go with what fits your head good, and you will forget it's there. I have a more ovular head.

I'm buying a new bike soon ('08 Stumpy FSR Expert Demo), so I thought I might go look at helmets and see what's out there now. I was somewhat surprised to see all the same stuff. Tried them all on, and after I found the one that fit best, I realized I already owned it. Funny... :P

I'm not sure if this is a problem with other helmets, but the straps lengthen very noticeably when they are wet, which is every time I ride. So I just adjust them tight enough to be just short of uncomfortable when dry, and they are OK when wet.

One of stick on velcro hook discs for the removable pads came loose recently. I just glued it back on with crazy glue and it's pretty much good as new.

I landed funny on the double drop at Lebanon hills once, went over the bars, and landed on my head. Had a chunk of dirt jammed in it, but me and the helmet were fine. Didn't even crack it a bit. I've been wearing it ever since.

Bottom line, I like this helmet. It fits me good, protects my head. I've only looked at one store casually (REI!), but I'm not sure I could find a better helmet, so I don't see the point in replacing it, other than that, as a modern human being, I'm compelled to buy stuff.

Buy what fits best. This thing feels like it would stay on if it were not strapped to my head.

I read a lot of reviews on here, and I like when people give details. Hope that helps.

Favorite Trail:   Murphy-Hanrehan

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   None. My first and only bicycle helmet.

Bike Setup:   2003 Kona Kahuna Deluxe, Mavic Crossride wheelset (I can't bend 'em!), stock otherwise

variant ...influx...

Hello, I am looking for a new helmet ... I tried a bell influx in my LBS, and fits me very well...they dont have in stock the bell variant...its the variant same fit as influx? Thank youRead More »

Color-Changing Bell Influx

i liked this thing black, but i couldn't help customizing it slightly. :DRead More »

Bell Influx Helmet '07, $34.95

I was looking for a new bike lid and came across this sale. Nice big air vents and cool colors! [img]http://www.cambriabike.com/Images/product/bell_influx_helmets_06.jpg[/img] [URL="http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=37740"]Click Here $34.95[/URL] :)Read More »

'04 Bell Influx under $60 anyone??

This helmet fits me great and I haven't found it under $60 - have you?Read More »