Home | Reviews | Helmet | Bell

Weight : 9.3 oz MSRP : $49.99

19 air vents; 14 top and 5 rear

Submitted by Krez a Cross Country Rider from State College, PA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Strengths:    Cool, Light, Strong, Comfortable

Weaknesses:    Not a Giro

Bottom Line:
Quite a nice helmet. I got it at Sierra for exceptionally low dollars thinking it would be good for some of the rocky trails around central PA, just something to protect the my head. After wearing it on a couple 4 hour rides I would have to say that I got lucky... I forgot it was on almost the whole time riding, save the beginning and end. Very good airflow and honestly very light. The tag inside says 337g, but my scale reads it at 340 (or 2oz). Maybe its the added weight from the tags? The giro I was looking at was 340g too, but $60 more. Haven't yet had a chance to test its effectiveness, but I'm sure the time will come, and from the reviews I've read, I'm sure it will work just fine.

Purchased At:   STP

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS...The whole shabang

Submitted by J.Gatan a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2008

Strengths:    feels true to size; comfortable fit; convenient back of head adjustment; lightweight; great value for quality

Weaknesses:    microshell does not cover the rear vents/nape area; plane jane color palette; stale design; cop-on-bike helmet looks

Bottom Line:
Bell(from the makers of Giro, Bell Racing-auto & Bell Powersports-motorcycles), the foremost leader in motorsport helmet technology...

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Limar F111, Limar MTB 711

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Domain

Submitted by Redman a Cross Country Rider from Western, MA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2006

Strengths:    Solid, decent looking, fits my squash well

Weaknesses:    Bit heavy, adjuster knob sometimes slipped when tightening

Bottom Line:
Being a re-entry rider, this was my first lid. Saved my bean the other day... Crashed real hard and must have landed on my dome but don't remember touchdown. Mild concussion. Helmet looks ok as crash was in sand but it's retired now. It is a bit heavy and I had some problems with the adjuster knob but overall a good value.

Favorite Trail:   widowmaker

Purchased At:   Dick's

Bike Setup:   Teocali Elite: XT ders, Koobi seat, Thomson post

Submitted by aaron a Weekend Warrior from poughkeepsie

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2006

Strengths:    Very light, the air vents make it a nice helmet to wear on those hot muggy days. very strong construction easy to adjust & overall it is a very comfortable helmet.

Weaknesses:    Have not found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I bought this helmet because it was on sale for $29 over a giro helmet & I am glad I did. It is the best & most comfortable helmet i have used to date.

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Bell

Bike Setup:   ironhorse

Submitted by Jmyster a Racer from NJ

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2004

Strengths:    Light, comfortable, strong, life saving

Weaknesses:    a little on the warm side

Bottom Line:
This helmet is outstanding. It saved my life, on many occasions. It has kept me riding

Favorite Trail:   Phils World out west

Purchased At:   Marty's Reliable

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic w/ manitou black fork

Submitted by dave roldan a Racer from sj

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2004

Strengths:    design, lightness, , easy to set up in head

Weaknesses:    a little big

Bottom Line:
i think this helmet saved my life. I had this accident, i lost temporally my memory(because of the big hit on my head) and the helmet seems like nothing happened. this helmet is really strong,

Favorite Trail:   technical, trails, downhill,

Purchased At:   bici

Bike Setup:   XC RACE

Submitted by Joel a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2004

Strengths:    Helmet shells actually feel like they would save you head. Design makes you and your head cool.BELL name.

Weaknesses:    i am very critical of my bike equipment, but i can't find anything I would change, REALLY.

Bottom Line:
tHe bottom line is this.....................

I hate wearing bike helmets, so i have always rode without one, BAD IDEA.
I have been in too many accidents that have sent me to the ER, but somehow i never hurt my head. People around me convinced me that i had to get a helmet. I looked all over and everyone i tried, even the $200 giros, suck. So I went on the net and found this Bell helmet, I know nthey make strong helmets from experince in varios motorsprorts racing, so i decided to get one since i had too. I figured that i wouldnt't wear it much , but it is so comfortable actually like to wear it. I can't even tell its on, and i have so much more confidence to take on jumps and steep, technical downhill sections. This helmet is most important investmenti feel i will ever make for my biking obsesssion.
I would give it 10 flamin chilis if i could.

Favorite Trail:   the most technical i can find

Purchased At:   sportmart.com

Similar Products Used:   i have tried the giros, treks, sefrfas's, but they all were uncomfortable or cheaply made. I would pay 3 times as much for this helmet, i dont know why it is so inexpensive. TAKE ADVANTAGE.

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300(black and grey like my helmet)with WTB saddle, Oury lock -on grips, 2.3 Continental Survial Protection tires

Submitted by CLIVE JOHNSON a Weekend Warrior from DETROIT MI. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    LIGHT WEIGHT & VERY COOL DUE TO MANY VENTS

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I,VE JUST STARTED RIDING RECENTLY. I HAD AN ACCIDENT AND DECIDED THAT I WOULD NEED AN HELMET (I KNOW, A LITTLE LATE).
I BOUGHT THIS HELMET AND I'M GLAD I DID. ON MY SECOND RIDE AFTER PURCHASING THIS HELMET, I FELL AGAIN ON THE PAVEMENT
AND HIT MY HEAD. THE HELMET DID GREAT. IT DIDN'T EVEN CRACK.
ANOTHER GOOD POINT IS THAT THE MANY AIR VENTS KEEP MY HEAD NICE AND COOL. THE THIRD POINT WORTH MENTIONING IS THAT THE HELMET IS NICE AND LIGHT. AND THAT IS SOMETHING THAT I WAS WORRIED ABOUT BEFORE I BOUGHT THE HELMET. I BELIEVE THIS IS A GOOD HELMET AND WOULD ADVISE ANYONE LOOKING FOR AN ROAD HELMET TO THE BELL AQUILA PRO. AT THE SAME TIME I PURCHASED AN SIX SIX ONE FULL BRAVO. I'LL WRITE AN REVIEW FOR THAT WHEN IT HAS BEEN CRASH TESTED.

Purchased At:   BKES,BLADES,BOARDS

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   DIAMONDBACK COIL WITH AN UPGRADE FROM SHIMANO ACERA DERAILUERS TO SHIMANO XT BABY AND DUAL WALL RIMS.

Submitted by BERF a Cross Country Rider from OCALA,FL USA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2004

Strengths:    Overall good fit. Comfortable, and cool. Does exactly what it's designed to do without the extra fluff. See below.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
In short this helmet does what it was designed to do, protect the rider. I used this thing for about two years. I was out riding one day, I had some speed coming into a turn, and needless to say I crashed apparently head first into a large tree. When i woke up I returned to my car. The helmet was cracked in about 4 places. I had all kind of problems due to the fact I suffered a concussion. It took about a month before I could remember my social security #. I will never ride w/o a helmet. If I had not been wearing a helmet that day, I don't know if I would be able to write this right now. Good helmet, at a good price. Buy one, and wear it.

Favorite Trail:   ALL

Purchased At:   STREITS CYCLERY

Similar Products Used:   Bell,Giro

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown, XT,XTR, Easton bar,and post. Mavic 517's w/King hubs. 22 lbs.

Submitted by Odilio Castro a Weekend Warrior from Cavite Philippines

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Strengths:    Nice choice in colors, Good Retention Design, Affordable Price Compared to Giro, Name Has good reputation in helemet industry, Cool looking snap-in visor.

Weaknesses:    The lower part ain't colored. Bell Distributor in the Philippines are very rare.

Bottom Line:
Perfect fit for me. And the price did not cost me an arm and a leg. Its very light that you wont even feel its there. Compared to Giro, I say Bell helmets are far better when it come to price. Much cheaper but I know that they will perform well. After all its "BELL"

Favorite Trail:   Tagaytay Downhill Trails

Purchased At:   Ritchey Cartimar Pasay

Similar Products Used:   MOB Blazer helmet, Specialize.

Bike Setup:   XC Bike Giant XTC SE3, SRAM 7.0 Avid MTN disc.

Submitted by Simon Lee a Cross Country Rider from Seoul, Korea

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2003

Strengths:    Great value for great product. I love the fit and its adustability. This helmet is a real workhorse! I can't say enough. Don't spend an arm and a leg. Buy this helmet and no regrets.

Weaknesses:    Gotta up the price!

Bottom Line:
For all you possers spend your millions on GIRO craps! As for you half brainer, go and buy this helmet and protect your wallet and noodles.

Favorite Trail:   Umeon Mtn.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   rice bowl

Bike Setup:   Hard Rock comp with XT derailleurs, brakes, Marzocchi forx, and Sun Riggle zu zu pedz.

Submitted by SGT. ROCK a Racer from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    Fits great
Good retention
Decent ventilation

Weaknesses:    Taped shell

Bottom Line:
Hard to go wrong getting this helmet for less than $20 from Nashbar. Exact helmet as pictured above - ORANGE! Looks great. Easy to adjust, stays put without pressure points. Looks just as good as some high $$$ helmets. The only thing I was disappointed with was the taped on shell, but hey, if it stays together, who cares?

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Bell Nemesis Pro, LG Enigma

Submitted by Nile a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent price, fit great. The paint scheme was better than any of the Giros at the time. Pop off visor was great in case you plowed into the ground face first.

Did a great job on protecting the cranium. I took a tumble and landed on my shoulder and side of my head. Later I examined the helmet and it had three cracks.

Bottom Line:
If you want a helmet that fits well, it comfortable to wear, looks great but most importantly is proven to work. This should be on your shopping list.

While saving your head from injury is priceless, your budget may not be.

Money well spent.