Troy Lee Designs SE Gloves

4.38/5 (13 Reviews)

If NASA decidedTo go motocross racing,Theyd research, develop, design and craft a glove exactly likeTheTroy Lee Designs SE glove.The end result of over a decade of ceaseless R&D and meticulous attentionTo detail,The SE glove leaves nothingTo be desired. * Exclusive Pittards Flex leather palm with light padding * Soft rubber sonic-welds guard fingers from rocks and roost * Velcro backedTPR wrist closure offers a comfortable adjustable fit * Air-Prene provides cooling characteristics and light

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2005

Strengths:    Excellent looks, style, fit, function and useability.
Silver with black rubber armour plating, makes you feel like a modern day knight astride your aluminum ride.

Weaknesses:    Very hard in 2002 to get them in Canada & $65/CAN price.

Bottom Line:
When I saw these back in 2002 in a few of the mtb magazines,
I just had to have a pair. After calling many local bike shops only one could order then from me as no-one else delt with Troy Lee Design reps.
I placed my order and was quoted "1 month" at most till they'd arrive. After 1 month, I called the shop and was told "they still haven't come in yet". After 1.5 months, I was told "we only import full containers of supplies, we don't just order 1 pair". After 2 months, I told them (the bike shop) what they could do with the gloves if they "ever do arrive". I immediately got online, placed an order and had them delivered to the hotel we booked in Orlando, FL back in May 2002. We got to the hotel, checked in and my parcel was waiting for me - needless to say it was like Christmas in May! Early June 2002 & 2003 I used them for the annual Ride the Traffic Free D.V.P. charity bike ride for Heart & Stroke. At mid Oct. 2003 after the 2nd two week trip to Florida, I got into a night bike accident with a pedestrian 1 min. after my turn around point. I have no recollection of the accident, as one second I remember the turn around and the next second, extreme left rib pain as I'm being helped into my bed at 3am. As my left arm was under me while I was sliding on the asphalt (after I called the guy I collided with to say "sorry" to... I found it held up quite well, only 1 rip, but not in my opinion is it "cosmetically accpetable" for use.
Bottom Line: Expensive at $65/CAN, hard to import into Canada (2002), holds up well after sliding on asphalt, alot of unforgettable memories, switched to and have stayed with Fox.

Purchased At:   Price Point (2002)

Similar Products Used:   1997 Answer Stylus, 2002 Fox Sidewinder, 2002 Fox Static.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk, 1996 GT Ricochet.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2004

Strengths:    -Decent fit
-Knuckle, finger & wrist padding is good- it moves with your hand without affecting your range of motion
-It looks pretty good
-Breathes O.K.

Weaknesses:    -Palm wears out fast
-Material that wraps the finger box wears out fast
-The small amount of palm padding in these crushes down to nothing in a hurry

Bottom Line:
I bought these to replace my aging AXO Padlock 5's, which I loved. I couldn't find any new Padlock gloves and most other full finger gloves were made so that the fingers aren't boxed (material on top & bottom comes together at the fingertip with no material wrapped around in between). I like the boxed finger- it gives your fingers just that little bit of space to move and breathe. The Troy Lee's were the only ones that I found that were built this way. They still fit much tighter in the fingers than the Padlock, but they were ok.

The point of all this is that I used the Padlock's hard for 3 or 4 years (including using them for work in the terrain park in Telluride during winter on warm days raking and shaping jumps and the halfpipe- so they were getting soaked with snow). They are still holding together and still have reasonable padding. I've used the Troy Lee's on maybe 15 rides (probably not that many) and they're already wearing out and coming apart. That's without any crashes, snags, or grabbing onto anything but grips on bars.

The other problem: I don't like alot of padding on my palm- I like to feel the bars- but these have very little to start with and after 5 rides the padding is completely flat. It feels like just the leather and the thin liner inside.

I would not recommend these, really, to anyone. If they didn't wear out so fast I'd say someone who likes a zero padded palm might love them- but for $34-38 it's a bad deal even if you get double the time I got out of them. So I'm on the hunt for a new pair of gloves(again). I might try the Specialized Fortress or the Brookly Machine Works but both of those seem a little overkill so I might go with the new AXO Padlock- if I can find it.

Purchased At:   Troy Lee Website

Similar Products Used:   -AXO Padlock 5
-Specialized 3/4 finger xc (old style)

Bike Setup:   -Specialized Epic Marathon
-Custom built Ellison y-frame (a great unsung frame builder) w/ a Judy, XTR, Chris King headset, RaceFace cranks, etc.

Submitted by Joel a Downhiller from Maple Ridge, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2004

Strengths:    Looks good, good protection, fits very well, high quality material.

Weaknesses:    Nothing really

Bottom Line:
Good strong glove. Good protection. Looks god. Higher quality glove and it gives u a good feeling. Good for freeride in general.

Favorite Trail:   Blood Donor

Purchased At:   Cant remember

Similar Products Used:   some kind of mace glove

Bike Setup:   04 Rampage

Submitted by Manny from Austin,TX

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Strengths:    The '02 "SE" is the sickest gloves available, man! It's a medium heavy glove but has lots of good ventilation for HOT, humid summers in Texas, to be specific. Quality made throughout! Awesome styling,and colours!

Bottom Line:
I've used Fox 'Sidewinders' and Troy Lee 'Speed Equipment' gloves for my trailbiking excursions. When it comes to durability and functionality, they both are the best to have on the long, hard riding epics!! Fox Sidewinders have the terrycloth nose wipe, but I don't really need it to flick my snot out, dig?

***Troy Lee 'Speed Equipment' gloves are the winner, because they have so much more flash! If "flash" is not what you want, then get 'em in black! I wish that I could find them in a Kawasaki green!

Submitted by liam harrison a Weekend Warrior from jersey

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2002

Strengths:    durable, comfortable, good value for money, i have these gloves for a year, i ride everyday and they havent spilt or worn they are still immaculate

Weaknesses:    none!

Bottom Line:
buy em!

Favorite Trail:   dont trail ride!

Purchased At:   lawrence de gruchy

Similar Products Used:   fox sidewinder

Bike Setup:   ddg trials spec

Submitted by kip a Downhiller from idaho

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Strengths:    Strong as hell , look great , last forever , cheap , and protect your hands.

Weaknesses:    Um ..... the little rubber things on the fingers fall off but not realy a weakness for me .I like them better without the little rubber things .

Bottom Line:
They are awsome gloves that work great I have had mine for 1 and a half years none of the threads have fallen out there are few small holes buy them they are great gloves mine are worn out and I am switching to a pair of troy lee grand prix gloves i think they will be even better

Favorite Trail:   urban

Purchased At:   A motorcycle shop

Similar Products Used:   cheap ones

Bike Setup:   stock kona roast

Submitted by Jeferson a Downhiller from SãoPaulo/Brazil

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2001

Strengths:    Great fit,reflective pads,stylish,"pull for pleasure",thin and many other qualities

Weaknesses:    Price,not too bombproof

Bottom Line:
The perfect glove who needs still locked on handlebar and
feel stylish

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Bike Setup:   Super8/00,Stratos S8

Submitted by Jimmy Hubbuck-Keeves a Downhiller from Crayford, Kent, United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2001

Strengths:    Cool looks, good protection, comfy, good fit.

Weaknesses:    How long they are going to last. I reckon about 6 months tops!

Bottom Line:
They look really good and the ventilation is good on the DH. Mind you, cruising through town at low speeds I find they seem to boil up a bit. Protection is brilliant and they look great with my TL Speed Equipment top.
Also I got them £10 off the rrp! Result!

Favorite Trail:   Dartford Heath

Purchased At:   Wades Cycles, Essex

Similar Products Used:   Fox Dirtpaw, Knucklebones, Fox Sidewinder, Troy Lee XC

Bike Setup:   For DH and drops.

Submitted by Ian from Montreal, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2000

Strengths:    comfortable, not too bulky, very protective, and look really really cool (especially in RED!)

Weaknesses:    a little bunching between thumb and index finger, some threads have come loose, and oddly enough THERE ARE NO WASHING INSTRUCTIONS !?!?! It is a clothing item, and it will get very dirty and stinky - why was this detail overlooked?

Bottom Line:
Very good glove at a fair price. But don't take my word for it - my hand ain't your hand - get the glove that fit's you best!

Favorite Trail:   Bromont