Specialized Deflect Gloves

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Lightweight, windproof glove to keep out the cold chill

Submitted by Nick

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2014

Strengths:    Surprisingly warm despite being fairly thin. Padded in all the right places. Have held up very well after almost three years. Won't ride without them.

Weaknesses:    For my hands, the thumbs are a little short. Also the palms are not as water resistant as I would like.

Bottom Line:
I ride mostly in wet, dark, cold weather in the Northwest, and these gloves are my go-to. Regularly ride in 35-45 degree weather in the rain and these are perfect, but also breath well enough to ride in much warmer temperatures. VERY good for the money. They do allow your hands to get wet, but in the places I ride that usually isn't an issue.

Submitted by cliffni a Weekend Warrior from long beach, calif. usa

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2011

Strengths:    thin material. great fitting gloves. wind proof

Weaknesses:    no padding and no protection. very short cuffs. not true to size.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these gloves for road riding to replace my old less comfortable neoprene gloves. I prefer padded more protected gloves for off roading. I found them to be warm enough for cooler Southern California days, but I doubt they would be suitable for colder climates. Note these gloves run very big. I wear a mens medium size, but bought a small size in these gloves. Otherwise, they meet all my needs.

Favorite Trail:   chino hills

Purchased At:   surf city, huntingto

Similar Products Used:   Specialized full finger neoprene gloves

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Shimano XT gears and brakes, Race Face crank, Fox forks and rear shock, Mavic wheels, Conti tires

Submitted by CoolTouch a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2009

Strengths:    Very thin, comfortable, decent price, nice styling

Weaknesses:    Has water resistant top, but cannot be used in the rain or wet environment

Bottom Line:
THESE ARE NOT RAIN GLOVES! Ok, I had to mention that because when I purchased them, that's what the guy sold them to me as. IF THESE GLOVES GET WET, THEY ARE WORTHLESS! In Southern Cal it doesn't really get cold so these are great winter gloves... in So Cal. They are very comfortable and on my Peaty Lizard Skin grips, THEY GRIP VERY WELL. Like other reviewers mentioned, they are very thin compared to their performance. They are comfortable on 1.5 or 2 hour rides and allow your hands to breath well. They protect from wind quite well also. But as time goes on in the ride, if they get damp, your hands will begin to get cold. I have not tried them on temps lower than 40F degree.

Favorite Trail:   Westridge

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Castelli Diluvio Glove

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by willtsmith_nwi a Weekend Warrior from Valparaiso, IN

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2009

Strengths:    VERY WARM, VERY THIN!!!

Weaknesses:    Just one. The gripper dots on the fingers are not very grippy.

Bottom Line:
I had these out on a 30 degree road ride and my hands never got "cold cold". This probably means I could use them through the winter on the trail where speeds are typically 1/2 as much (1/4 of the wind effect).

These gloves are incredibly dextrous. You would not believe how thin they are vs the performance they deliver. These will be my 30-50 degree gloves from now on.

Specialized Body Geometry continues to impress.

Favorite Trail:   Outback Trail

Purchased At:   Jano Specialized

Similar Products Used:   Burton 2-piece ski gloves

Bike Setup:   Karate Monkey X9/XT build

Submitted by Ross Hunsinger a Racer from Vancouver, WA, Clark

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2007

Strengths:    I live in the heart of the Northwest and have been pleased to break these bad boys in right at the beginning dumps of rain season (the last two weeks straight). These gloves are seemingly bulletproof from what I've seen so far, awesome breathability while being fully protective against the elements. They just saw their first 50+mph descent and I felt no breeze sneaking through. Padding is perfect for stretching out on the bike (I know that doesn't matter in 29er land, but thought I'd throw it out there). I am actually a road/cross rider who loves these gloves so much I figured they might be here to post a review on as they weren't listed at roadbikereview.com, so there you have it, from a guy in the heart of rain country, these gloves are badass.

Weaknesses:    As stated in the other review, they're not insulated, but if you're actually RIDING, they provide a solid amount of warmth while still dissipating a not insignificant amount of moisture.

Bottom Line:
Badass gloves that have met and exceeded my (very high) expectations so far. I can only hint at the amount of demand I place in overall performance of my riding gear, and like I said, these have fully met that demand. So, from roadworld to you my mountain climbing brethren, check these out and I'll see you on the trails (if you promise not to laugh at my cross bike or my bibs).

Favorite Trail:   all

Bike Setup:   Kestrel 200SC EMS, Full Dura-Ace

Submitted by Jason from Modesto

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
I just bought these (not sure what model yaer they are) and have one ride with them (low 40s). This review will address protection from the cold since it's too soon to tell how they will hold up under regular use (overall quality looks very high). I use these for rides between 30-55 degrees. They worked well. I did experience a little chill on my thumbs and pinkies, but nothing too bad. Put them on before you get outside and you should be fine. I like them and will continue to use them. If you ride in "really cold" weather look for something warmer.

Specialized Deflect Trail Jacket Or Apollo Team Wind Jacket?

I am thinking of buying a wind/trail jacket but is unsure on what to get out of an Apollo Team jacket or a Specialized Jacket, I already have an Apollo Team Jersey but I am still unsure on what to get.. Any Suggestions???Read More »

Snow Ride! Got to try out the Deflect Bibs

We got a bit of snow today, and my Deflect Bibs came in so i figured i would give them a try. My truck temp showed 21 degrees when i got out of it, and the snow was still falling. The bibs paired my defroster shoes and underarmour winter socks worked out great. The bibs did not come with a chamois, ... Read More »

Russert allowed Rice to deflect eavesdropping questions

[b]Russert allowed Rice to deflect eavesdropping questions[/b] Summary: On [i]Meet the Press[/i], host Tim Russert allowed Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to repeatedly deflect his questions about the supposed legal basis for the domestic eavesdropping authorized by President Bush. On the Dece ... Read More »