Home | Reviews | Gloves | Pearl

3.43/5 (51 Reviews)

Pearl Izumi Gel Gloves

Submitted by E.J. Bedore a Cross Country Rider from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Strengths:    Fingerless Gel Lites are comfortable and lightweight, look good.

Weaknesses:    Disintegrated before I'd cycled 100 easy miles. The palm material is a kind of microfleece, with a half-inch swath between the thumb seam and the gel pads. Just enough that the material thinned and then split open, especially on the left glove. The backs of the glove have a poor-quality suede-like material that sheds little black particles all over the place (looks pretty bad on skin or pale clothing!) - given the price and PI reputation, I am very disappointed.

Bottom Line:
Waste of money and disgrace to Pearl Izumi.

Favorite Trail:   Many

Purchased At:   Cyclo Werks

Similar Products Used:   Trek gloves

Bike Setup:   Trek 7.5 WSD FX

Submitted by Darren a Weekend Warrior from London UK

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Strengths:    Gel Vent Aerosensor Glove - good colour scheme

Weaknesses:    terrible padding. leaves large hole in the centre of the hand where most of the pressure occurs. whilst better than no glove at all, there are much better products out there.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy them as they are not designed well at all.

Purchased At:   cycle surgery - london

Similar Products Used:   altura Progel Short Finger

Bike Setup:   Marin Point Reyes 2007

Submitted by Dale from Longmont, CO

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Strengths:    Good padding, easy on/off, nice feel on bike.

Weaknesses:    Very poor materials. Leather, or whatever it is, started shredding at the fingers after a few months use.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for gloves with decent gel padding and these felt pretty good while they lasted. The problem is, they do not hold up under normal riding conditions. The leather on the insides of the fingers simply disintegrated after 5 months use. At $45 they are too expensive for gloves that don't last.

Similar Products Used:   Various gloves over past 30 years.

Bike Setup:   Orbea Onix

Submitted by Allan Hall a Weekend Warrior from Huntsville, TX

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2006

Strengths:    Gel-Vent Pro Glove - has neat stitched logo.

Weaknesses:    Gel-Vent Pro Glove are horrible. These look like they are replacing the Gel Lites with them, very bad. The Gel Lites have complete coverage for your hand, anywhere you put your hand on the bar, you are padded. These leave a gaping hole in the center of your palm, OUCH!

Bottom Line:
Do not buy these gloves, urge PI to continue the Gel Lites, these would be horrible replacements.

Similar Products Used:   Many other gloves, current favorites are the PI Gel Lites.

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200

Submitted by troy young a Weekend Warrior from robinson, IL USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2005

Strengths:    ummmm...maybe price

Weaknesses:    PI White Line gloves suck!!!
comfort - horrible
durability - horrible

Bottom Line:
Suck.Suck.Suck.
product review for Pearl izumi white line gloves
bought these gloves from internet, thought I'd gotten a steal (paying just 18 bucks as they were on sale). now i know why they were on sale. so I'm gonna share my knowledge... You get what you pay for.
these gloves are extremely uncomfortable. hands and fingers kept going numb. padding is a joke. plus 6 months of light use, and they look like they're 10 years old. stitching coming apart, basically just falling apart.
BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

Purchased At:   online catalog

Similar Products Used:   trek gloves, PI gel lite

Submitted by Al W. a Cross Country Rider from Garden City, MI

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2004

Strengths:    Terry snot rag patch, fit well

Weaknesses:    lack of durability

Bottom Line:
These gloves are just plain disappointing. After just a couple of months of use, the leather and all relevant padding simply came off of the palm on the right glove. The padding and leather covering the padding aren't even stitched on, but instead are glued, and believe me, it doesn't work. Fortunately, it actually made the glove more comfortable, since the padding is placed oddly and will make your hands numb. Oddly enough, the left glove still looks like brand new (and no, I don't have grip shifts). I never bothered to contact PI about it because now that I have felt how much better the lack of padding makes the glove feel, I am waiting for the left side to do the same now... Overall, I wouldn't recommend these gloves at all, and I am really starting to wonder about some of PI's other product offerings, as well. One steaming crapwad for gloves that fall apart.

Favorite Trail:   yes

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by c q a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Strengths:    ~light and cool (temp-wise)

Weaknesses:    ~only buy if on sale

Bottom Line:
WHITELINE glove review ++++ ok listen...gloves are gloves...These goves are lightweight and won't overheat your hands...padding is minimal but adequate...if you want max padding, than get gel gloves, otherwise these work fine...I have had no problems with stitching...for those reviewers that complain that these gloves smell after a long ride WHAT ARE YOU DOING SNIFFING YOUR GLOVES ANYWAY??? gloves absorb sweat and sweat smells! get over it.

Favorite Trail:   Nature Trail

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   REI

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized Stumpy w/ riser bars

Submitted by Glenn Vernes a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, CT

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2004

Strengths:    Look good, comfy, durable.

Bottom Line:
These are the White Line Gloves I'm reviewing. They were redesigned for '03 and are a big improvement over the old ones. They look a little sleeker and have a more durable fabric on the tops. Also the velcro closure doesn't stick to the new fabric (it only sticks to the other half of the closure, where it's supposed to). They're still comfortable and seem at least as durable as the old ones, which lasted for years. Pearl Izumi generally makes good stuff, and these gloves are no exception.

Favorite Trail:   Shenipsit

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Trek

Bike Setup:   Sugar 1, Bomber, XTR

Submitted by Homer a Cross Country Rider from Tacoma, WA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable, durable

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
Great gloves. Very comfortable. Worn overtop of wool gloves in the winter...soaked and dried them more times than I can remember...still holding up fine. Very cool in the summer too.

Purchased At:   Performance bike

Similar Products Used:   cheapo Trek gloves

Bike Setup:   Kona Pahoehoe...mostly stock except for platform pedals, burley rear rim.

Submitted by JOESHMOE a Cross Country Rider from DENVER

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2003

Strengths:    Good padding.
Nice fit.
PI name.

Weaknesses:    They RIP....

Bottom Line:
WHITELINE GLOVES SUCK ASS. I used them for less than one month and the stiching blew on the fingers. I took it back and exchanged them for Gel-Lite gloves. If PI gloves still disappoint me, I will get a pair of FOX gloves... I will write the gel lite half finger review later on.

Decent price, sucky stiching.

Purchased At:   Galyan's

Bike Setup:   K2 zed 4.0

Submitted by Taryn a Cross Country Rider from Mahopac NY

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2003

Strengths:    -Good padding
-Nice fit
-Despite other reviews, these gloves are well put together, i haven't had any rips, or tears. the stitching is intact

Weaknesses:    -Hands get pretty sweaty
-Oh boy do these gloves stink! I wash these after every ride and they always stink like mad after one use!!!

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the white-line gloves. Since these are the only gloves i've owned, i can't compare, however I have always thought these gloves felt pretty good (Much better than riding w/o gloves at least). I do have to say though, that I just ordered a new pair of fox gloves cause i hate the way they stink even after washing them.

Purchased At:   coloradocyclist.com

Submitted by Doug Montgomery a Cross Country Rider from Downers Grove,IL USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Strengths:    comfort, fit

Weaknesses:    durability, construction

Bottom Line:
The gloves I'm reviewing are the Gel Lite short finger gloves.
I 've been using them about 3 weeks with the first couple of weeks on the road bike only for about 200 miles max. The comfort and fit were excellent.
The problem came about on a trip to the White Rim Trail in Moab. In the course of about 90 miles using my MTB equipped with Grip Shift the right hand stitching between the thumb and index finger blew out. I've had previous pittards PI gloves that held up to Grip Shift but these new Gel Lites do not.
If you're getting them keep them on the road or with Shimano off-road.
I guess I'll see how well Pearl Izumi's warranty department works now.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   Galyan's

Similar Products Used:   other PI gloves, Fox , Ext Ondo

Bike Setup:   road, XC MTB

Submitted by Alex a Weekend Warrior from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Strengths:    Gel Padding, Looks nice

Weaknesses:    Quality of materials, Choice of materials, PRICE

Bottom Line:
When my girlfriend bought me these gloves I was immediately angered that she spent so much on gloves. They do look nice and have a substantial amount of padding. This is good if you have really crappy grips or don't fit your bike properly. This is actually bad when you have decent grips as the glove gives too much padding that you lose your grip of the bike. Also the terry cloth area on the thumb was a nice touch.

Anyhow I used the gloves 4 times, washed them twice during that span according to the recommendations. Immediately you could tell the leather palm was wearing thin. The other parts were still looking fresh. On my fifth ride I took a spill. Very minor! I'm talking drop bike on ground, put hand down. No sliding, scraping for ten feet etc. I was fine and then I looked at the glove. The leather palm had ripped through with a penny sized hole on my left hand. On the right, the finger separators made with a paper thin mesh material had all been torn leaving me with a mitten that had a thumb insert and one hole for the rest of my four fingers. This cannot be repaired. You can't stitch the mesh part back, it's too wimpy. I mean would polyester or lycra here really negatively affect airflow or sweat dissapaction. On a practically new glove, a minor fall would reduce these things to nothing. So my point is imagine these had been older and I had fell harder. Not what I want on my hands in that case. Oh all this for a bargin price of $35.

So I wrote PI to let them know that the gloves are horrible and they were very apathetic about it. Kind of threw me since they charge a ton of money for everything they sell and to basically not care about their product quality or customers. It's safe to say that I'm not a PI fan and will probably never buy their stuff again.

Purchased At:   Paragon Sports

Bike Setup:   Fisher Tassajara (mostly stock)

Submitted by angus henry a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2003

Strengths:    Solid comfortable snug fit, Quality amara leather palms, the back of the hand is a nice stretchy mesh that should breath very well on the smokin' hot days in July. Price is exceptional at $19 Canadian currency. Light padding (I use the Shimano gel cork so light is fine)

Weaknesses:    The terry does not extend far enough over the back of the hand requiring a double wipe to get all the snot off. An extra inch wrap would help a lot. Slightly scratchy in said place.

Bottom Line:
It always seems time to replace either a couple of pairs of shorts (showing too much too the public) or gloves so good value is always appreciated. So far I am pretty pleased especially for a first year glove. Did I mention they are about $13US

Favorite Trail:   Gatineau hills

Purchased At:   Mountain Equipement co-op

Similar Products Used:   Pearl "White line", Paris shock absorber, Louis Garneau gel

Bike Setup:   Gary Fischer "Big Sur", Giant TCR Zero

Submitted by George a Weekend Warrior from Lufkin, TX - USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Strengths:    Durability!
Comfort!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I am a retired adventure racer, and I bought my Pearl Izumi White Line half-finger gloves 4 years ago with the idea that they would last me a season or maybe a little more. I wore these gloves for the entire race, and also training sessions (sometimes up to 12 hours) of hard mountain biking, trekking and bushwhacking through the thicket, kayaking, and rock climbing. These gloves have certainly taken all the punishment I have dished out and they are still in okay shape to wear when riding or paddling. The padding in the palms really helps to bust the thud's on big drops or "corduroy" logging roads at high speeds. They have held up better than any other bike glove I have ever owned, and they are good for so many more sports than just biking. To clean them, I toss ' em in the washing machine with all my other nasty workout clothes, and then let em air dry on the breakfast table. They are good to go the next day. Hint: wash the gloves every wearing cause they will get to smelling sour if you don't! Also, your sweat is very corrosive with all the salt and acid, and it will break down the gloves. Take care of your gear and it will last you a long time.

Favorite Trail:   Whichever one I am riding!

Purchased At:   REI - Houston

Similar Products Used:   Answer, "crappy" Bell gloves from Oshmans.

Bike Setup:   Trek hardtail with many tweaks.

Good gloves?- Pearl Izumi or something else?

I live in a place that experiences frequent rain/and or snow in the winter and has temperatures down to about 25 Fahrenheit. I was looking at the PRO Barrier WXB glove specifically. Does this look like a decent glove? If so, is it overkill for the temperatures I'm riding in? If it's not a good glove ... Read More »

Anyone have the Pearl Izumi Gavia Gloves?

There are no reviews on it. I just picked up some at REI. They just seemed like the best glove for me. However, I would love to hear someones experience with them in cold weather. I am TN so it doesn't get -20, but I do expect to ride in some 30-40 degreee weather this year.Read More »

Pearl Izumi Scirocco Gloves...Sources??

Does anyone out there know of a shop or other retailer for that matter that may have a few pair of these gloves laying around? They are my favourite winter glove and my last pair has seen better days. They are a fleece material with a leather palm and an extended cuff with an elastic drawstring. ... Read More »

Pearl Izumi Inferno gloves???

Anyone know of a better price than ~$70? Thanks!Read More »