Home | Reviews | Gloves | Pearl

3.45/5 (11 Reviews)

Pearl Izumi AmFib Lobster Golves

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Grand Rapids

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2007

Strengths:    Super-warm.

Weaknesses:    Take a *long* time to dry.

Bottom Line:
Not sure why there's such a disparity in these gloves. They're clearly not waterproof, but are quite warm. Bulkier than I'd like. The one BIG minus is that they take a long time to dry. If I commute to the office in the morning, I'll be starting the evening's commute with hands dangerously cold from the morning's sweat.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized sub-zero gloves (wimpy), Buffalo Systems mitts

Bike Setup:   Cannondale cyclocross bike w/ Schwalbe snow stud tires

Submitted by Pink Robe a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2005

Strengths:    Not flashy looking

Weaknesses:    Not warm, surprisingly bulky, I could feel the internal stitching

Bottom Line:
These mitts aren't a whole lot warmer than my regular full-finger riding gloves. They are only about as good as the Louis Garneau gloves, which aren't that warm either, but at least have low bulk. The MEC gloves are far superior to both, at half of the MSRP. These gloves aren't useful past about -2C. If I was completely out of the wind and cranking up a long hill, they might be warm enough. I give these things 2 value chilis 'cause I got a 55% discount, but 1 chili for their lacklustre performance.

Favorite Trail:   Magic Ride

Purchased At:   Pearl Izumi store

Similar Products Used:   MEC lobster gloves, Activa lobster gloves, Louis Garneau lobster gloves

Bike Setup:   many bikes, many setups

Submitted by Glenn a Cross Country Rider from Warner, NH USA

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2004

Strengths:    Warm in real cold weather. Good grip, can be used for multiple sports. Good cuff, large enough for heavier jackets to fit in.

Weaknesses:    Liner can pull out some. Can be too warm at times but that is what they are made for, cold temps.

Bottom Line:
I recommend these for anyone in cold climates, great for snowshoeing also.

Favorite Trail:   Minkhills

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Powder Springs, Ga USA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2003

Strengths:    They looked like gloves.

Weaknesses:    They were sold to me as rain gloves. They leaked like a sieve. As regular cold weather gloves, ehh. The liner would pullout and had trouble getting thumb into glove.

Bottom Line:
They are a poor value. I gave them two chilies only because they looked fairly durable for cold weather rides.

Purchased At:   Pearl Outlet store

Similar Products Used:   Many.

Submitted by Joey from NY

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Strengths:    keeps you warm below 30 F

Weaknesses:    sometimes too warm

Bottom Line:
These gloves keep you very warm, sometimes too warm when it's above freezing. At temperatures below freezing, feet will be frostbitten long before the cold gets through these gloves. Great product, a little expensive at retail.

Bike Setup:   c'dale F700

Submitted by Angry Bill a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2001

Strengths:    Does the job in the cold temps (less than 10 degrees F non-wind chill)

Weaknesses:    Shifting/Braking can be challenging at first.

Bottom Line:
Thick up front, thin underneath, no cold spots. I'd recommend them. Try to get them on sale ahead of time if you ride in the winter.

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi 5 finger gloves, ok for temps between 10 and 40 degrees f.

Submitted by Patrick Janssen a Weekend Warrior from Eijsden, Limburg, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2000

Strengths:    In windy and very cold circumstances your fingers won't be frozen. They keep your hand warm and give you the possibility to handle your gears.

Weaknesses:    Seam has come apart at forefinger

Bottom Line:
I was looking for these gloves for a year I guess.
In a review in O2Bikers they already wrote the purchase would not get you down.
Fortunately I found them in Belgium and the dealer sent them by post.
I use them every weekend during my mtb-trips in severe climatological conditions.
During the week I use them for my house-work trips.

Similar Products Used:   Look Gloves

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper Shimano Deore LX/XT

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, Wa

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2000

Strengths:    Good snotrag,

Weaknesses:    Leaky wind layer, not warm enough

Bottom Line:
Nice for cool weather, but probably can find cheaper and adiquate protection elsewhere. Not adiquate for cold weather. My pair leaked wind noticably around the seams. Cuffs are not long enough to keep wind out of my jacket reliably.

Similar Products Used:   Bell insulated gloves, Outdoor Research overmits

Submitted by bob magee a Please Select from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2000

Strengths:    Comfortable, no ugly flamboient colours, the snot padding helps alot on cold long rides.

Weaknesses:    The grip is very very slippery, the general design makes them very cold.

Bottom Line:
Waste of money. I wanted thease gloves because they looked warmer then gloves, and easier to use then mits. When I first tried them out I almost fell off my handlebars! I've had to resort to sewing on my own gripping on the palms! For some reason or another they've seperated each individual finger! What's the point of putting the two fingers together if they can't transfer heat to each other? At about -10'C my fingers go numb! On cold days with a windchill of -30 to -40 'C it takes about 2-3 mintues for my fingers to freeze... The cold wind goes threw the loose stiching as if it were cheesecloth.. They're basically as warm as gloves, but as silly on a bike as mits. THEY SUCK.

Favorite Trail:   urban

Similar Products Used:   normal mits, normal gloves

Bike Setup:   f/s, fixie, trials, lowrider

Submitted by Bicky a Cross-Country Rider from Montana

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2000

Strengths:
WARM, WARM, WARM, WARM, practical

Weaknesses:
huh

Bottom Line:
These are simply the warmest gloves I have found for winter riding here in Montana. Even wet, these gloves stay warm. Did I mention they are warm? Seriously, I have put these gloves on after they froze as stiff as a brick. After about aminute or two, they warmed up and my hands stayed warm for the rest of the ride.

nunya

more than 3 years

all kinds of winter gloves

Dagger

Submitted by Red Owl a Cross-Country Rider from WI

Date Reviewed: October 7, 1999

Strengths:
Warm, weatherproof, best for wintertime MTBing

Weaknesses:
Not so great for road/cross riding

Bottom Line:
In terms of construction and materials, very nice gloves for very cold conditions. I have always liked Pearl Izumi for their standard cycling gloves. The AmFibs fall somewhere between gloves and mitts, your fingers are divided up into the nano-nano configuration.They work great for MTBing when your hands are flat on the bar.However on drop/road bars, I've found they perform poorly. The design turns very uncomfy when your hands are on the hoods -- the materials don't stretch and your paired digits feel trapped, they can't move independently. The kind of minor discomfort that'll drive 'ya mad over the course of a long ride.Also, they're best for really cold conditions. Anything over 32F and the non-venting goretex makes things way too roasty for me.I got them on sale from Performance for $19.99 so they were a good deal, my only complaint is I wish they felt more comfortable on the drops for cold-weather road riding.

less than 1 month