Pearl Izumi Gavia Gloves

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

• AmFIB and AmFIB - Block fabric
  • Silicone screened palm for a performance grip
  • Low-profile wrist closure with locking zipper
  • Soft Microfleece wiping surface

Submitted by BikerJ a Cross Country Rider from Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2009

Strengths:    Grippy finger tips and palm. Reflective on back side of hand for low light hand signals. Long fingers so fingers don't eventually poke through.

Weaknesses:    Not warm enough below 30 degrees

Bottom Line:
Great gloves for the price. I blow fingers out after about 4 months of riding and have not had an issue with these yet. I ride them in 40 to 50 degree weather with no second layer. In 30 to 40 degree temps, I use a base layer glove. Below 30 my fingers can't take, I put on the lobster gloves. I would like to buy another pair so I have them if they quit making tese to.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere I can ride

Similar Products Used:   Previous gloves for these temps were pearls. Don't make that type anymore

Bike Setup:   Two wheels, brakes, gears and a seat.

Submitted by Cino a Cross Country Rider from Mylanta

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2009

Strengths:    Well made
Good Fit

Weaknesses:    Not for really cold weather

Bottom Line:
These gloves are well made, flexible, and fit well. These are one of the few gloves I have tried that have finger lengths that are properly proportioned. Dexterity with them is very good. Getting them on over liners is made easier by the fact they have a zipper opening on the wrist. The zipper works really well and is easy to work with a gloved hand.

The gloves alone will get you into the low 40's. With liners you can go comfortably to maybe 35 (+2C). Below that you need a different glove. I will give it 4 chillies because I would have hoped that with liners I could at least make it into the 20s, but at 30 degrees, even with liners, my fingers go numb.

The gloves have silicone gripper tabs glued on the index and middle finger tips, but the quality control in the tab placement is not the best. The gripper location varies from glove to glove and I was unable to find a pair w/ the silicone on the very tip of the finger - most times it is 1/2 cm or more away from the tip - not the best positioning. I didn't find that it made much difference though, the gloves work well regardless.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Novara, Descente

Submitted by Otter a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2008

Strengths:    Comfortable, fits well, not bulky, warm

Bottom Line:
Purchased these a few months ago and raced them in the '08 Iceman. What a great buy! The whether for Iceman was about 30 degrees with wind and a mixture of sleet, snow and rain. These things worked flawlessly and my hands stayed perfectly toasty. They also didn't get that clamy sweaty feel I've gotten with cheaper products. I've also ridden with these in temps as high as 45-50 and they aren't to hot. If I were to guess, I would say that these will protect to the mid to low 20's.

Great product and I would recommend to anyone needing a high quality winter glove.