Mechanix Orignial Gloves

4.85/5 (26 Reviews)

Designed and manufactured to take on the toughest tasks you can throw at it, our Original Glove provides a winning combination of versatility and performance. The Clarino Synthetic Leather palm and fingertips extends the life of the glove while the Thermal Plastic Rubber hook and loop cuff closure and two-way stretch Spandex top provides a perfect fit. Imported

• TPR Cuff
  • Reinforced Index Finger
  • Stretch Spandex Top

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by mk.utlra

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent fit, quality construction, good aesthetics, comfortable, durable

Bottom Line:
    Another all positive review ;)

Submitted by bishop29er

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable
    Inexpensive
    Grip like crazy

Bottom Line:
    Exactly what I needed. After a few barehanded rides on stock grips, I knew I needed some gloves. Thankfully I checked mtbr and saw that these babies got great reviews, and for good reason. While I cant compare them to other gloves, I can say that I will buy these again if they wear out. They are comfortable even in 90+ degree heat, provide excellent grip, and came out of the washing machine like new. Thanks mtbr for the great advice.

Submitted by jkrispies a Cross Country Rider from Palmdale, CA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable, Cool to Wear

Weaknesses:    No padding if that's what you're looking for, but I don't personally think that is necessary.

Bottom Line:
    Beats all other biking-specific gloves I've used over the years. I bought these due to the Mtbr "best of" recommendation, but also some Youngstown Carpenter gloves at the same time (and at virtually the same price) to do a side-by-side comparison. I figured I'd just use the Mechanix for work gloves if they didn't work out on the bike, but I'm very happy with them as biking gloves. I actually have to give the nod to the Youngstowns, but not by much. The Mechanix gloves shed heat better, so I wear them on especially hot days. For comparison, the Youngstowns are better fitted, better stitched, have an unobtrusive padding, and they are fingerless on the thumb, index, and middle fingers so I can use a cell phone or tools without having to take the gloves off. The Mechanix glove is more of a basic glove, but high quality especially for the price. Plus, though I haven't taken a bad fall yet, since all the fingers are covered there is that much better protection with the Mechanix. (FWIW, I researched the Mechanix carpenter gloves but didn't find them to be as well-designed or reviewed as the Youngstown.) Overall, I'd recommend the Mechanix gloves for biking in a heartbeat, but would suggest the Youngstowns first, especially for a commuter who may need to get to a cell phone more often than a hardcore off-roader.

Similar Products Used:   AXO something'er'other
    Various gloves cheapy over the years
    Youngstown Carpenter Gloves

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock w/Time ATAC & Sette clipless

Submitted by mjk230 a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable, durable, good grip wet or dry, not padded, can be machine washed. Handy for working on the house and car as well.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    Best gloves I've used. The synthetic leather doesn't get hard after it dries like actual leather can, nor does it stretch or shrink much. With these gloves I'm less particular about grips. I prefer grips with texture, but these work well with a friend's ESI grips as well.

Purchased At:   Advance Auto

Similar Products Used:   Various cycling and work gloves.

Bike Setup:   A'ME Tri Star grips.

Submitted by Laser4G63 a Cross Country Rider from Jackson, MI

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2011

Strengths:    This review is for the Mechanix Original Vent glove.

Durable, breathable, no padding, fits great, easy to clean, don't slip, gets the Betties. Oh yeah, they are cost efficient.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none!

Bottom Line:
    These are great gloves, Read the strengths. The have held up to some rigorous stuff, my man. They snap back wash after wash. Take a licking and keep on ticking. They just keep going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going.... You get the idea. Best of all, they don't cost a lot. I would have given up my first born for these, but I already did that for other bike stuffs and things. Second one will be going toward a vasectomy.

Favorite Trail:   Ones with dirt

Similar Products Used:   Dakine, Sepcialized, Trek

Bike Setup:   '09 Gary Fisher Advance. Frame is the only stock part remaining. Real men ride 26ers. The rest want it easy. Can you say wimps?

Submitted by painterdude a Cross Country Rider from prior lake, mn

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Strengths:    good fit, strength, look

Bottom Line:
    I've used the original, padded palm, m-pact and cold weather machanix gloves. they are all good for what they are designed for.. I like the padded palms the best, they give good protection and comfort. M-pacts can be a little warm on hot days and I like more padding than the originals. they all last a long time. they are easier to get than other bike gloves too. lowes have a good selection and prices.

Favorite Trail:   murphy

Purchased At:   lowes, o'reilys ,nap

Bike Setup:   salsa big mama, minute fork, sram, p-35 rims, maxxis tires, carnagey bars.

Submitted by Uncle Six Pack a Weekend Warrior from Bloomsburg, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2010

Strengths:    good gloves, comfortable and durable so far

Weaknesses:    I am waiting to see how long they last, I would prefer the velcro strap on the backside rather than the palmside

Bottom Line:
    For about $20 these were worth a shot. I think I'll be happy with them. There is another version for about the same price with extra padding on the knuckles-might be good for DH/FR protection.

Purchased At:   auto parts store

Similar Products Used:   Bell full finger gloves

Submitted by one incredible donkey a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap and strong. Sort of like a tall boy of Steel Reserve.

I wore them through the summer and they were not too hot. I wore them through the winter and my hands got a little cold, but it was 30 degrees so I'm not holding it against the gloves. If I want winter gloves I'll buy some.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found so far. I would recommend maybe trying them on for size. The recommended size for me wound up being a little small.

Bottom Line:
    I feel like a fool for buying bike-specific gloves after using these. The only thing I get with bike-specific gloves over the Mechanix is padding and I use a thick grip on my bars so that's not an issue.

These gloves are great and cheap. When they finally do wear out I won't have buyer's remorse.

Similar Products Used:   Some Trek full finger gloves which didn't last too long.

Bike Setup:   2006 Preston FR

Submitted by cdkrenz a Cross Country Rider from Stevens Point, WI

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2008

Strengths:    Relatively durable, breath well and good for use in temperatures into the low 40 and up to the low 90s. It comes in a variety of colors, they're inexpensive, comfortable, and reasonable to wear from spring through fall.

Weaknesses:    The elastic around the wrist wore out after six months of use. I was using this pair of gloves between 2 and 5 days per week from May through Oct 2008. Also, I did fall into some pricker bushes this summer and the prickers penetrated the gloves, ouch!

Bottom Line:
    This is a very good pair of gloves. They last as long as they should and will put up with a beating. Get a pair.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Mizouno baseball gloves.

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500
    Windsor Fens
    Hiawatha
    Bianchi SASS (retired)
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Bianchi WUSS

Submitted by BoomingSooner a Weekend Warrior from Edmond, OK

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2008

Strengths:    Tough as nails. Plenty of cushion as well.

Bottom Line:
    Great gloves for cheaper than any other top end glove. They have survived some good crashes and the stitches are solid. Will definitely buy some more. Might try the ones with the extra padding, but these are so good, it is hard to try something else.

Favorite Trail:   NuDraper

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   08 Fisher X-Cal

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from West Hills, CA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2007

Strengths:    M-Pact-2. Durable, partially padded palm, warm, good grip. Good for crashing.

Weaknesses:    Glove sizing chart indicates I should wear an XL but I need an XXL. No problem, I bought an additional pair and will use the first pair for around the house. Also, I was mistaken for a bike mechanic at Mammoth Mountain Bike Park. So I had to fix a few bikes before I got on to the gondola.

Bottom Line:
    These are great!!

Favorite Trail:   Chumash/Hummingbird

Purchased At:   Pep Boys

Similar Products Used:   lots of short fingered gloves

Bike Setup:   Giant VT-2 full suspension

Submitted by chris a Weekend Warrior from Mounds View, mn

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Strengths:    very durable and great fit and comfort

Bottom Line:
    these gloves are great especialy for the cost. i've used these for about 7 years now, mostly for bmx, and they have held up great. STRONGLY RECOMEND!! can get at any auto parts store and some bike shops

Purchased At:   northern tool

Similar Products Used:   fox gloves

Bike Setup:   stock specialized hard rock & custom S&M dirtbike bmx

Submitted by Mile High Mark a Cross Country Rider from Superior, CO

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2007

Strengths:    Inexpensive, well ventilated, fit.

Weaknesses:    Low bling factor (I know, who cares).

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the Vent model, which, as the name implies, is all about ventilation. I run Ergon grips, so I don't want/need a lot of padding, and these satisfy that requirement (the palm is a single layer of faux suede). Ventilation is excellent, but probably comes at the expense of durability (no rubber armor, and the single-layer palm). Fit is a lot better than many cycling gloves I've tried, but I do get a little bit of "bunching" near the velcro strap. For $20 I'm not complaining, though.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt...

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Fox, No Fear, Pearl Izumi.

Bike Setup:   Kona hardtail.

Submitted by ForestHorse a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2007

Strengths:    Durable, excellent grip, comfortable, good ventilation.

Weaknesses:    None I can think of

Bottom Line:
    Amazing glove. Thank you to all that reviewed this glove here and turned me on to it. If more people knew, none of the trashy "regular" cycling gloves would sell.

Favorite Trail:   Flagstaff

Purchased At:   Local Auto Shop

Similar Products Used:   Every expensive cycling glove on the market.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad, Cannondale Jeckyll.

Submitted by Jason Smith a Weekend Warrior from Woodstock, GA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Strengths:    Price and durability number one. Number two would be their versatility.

Weaknesses:    None that I have seen

Bottom Line:
    Glad to see Im not the only person using these as riding gloves. I have one pair I work on my car and bike with and another pair i ride with. Great gloves. Tons of grip and durable as hell. Great alternative to high priced Pearls and Foxes. Id give more than 5 peppers for value if could.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Autozone

Bike Setup:   Steel hard-tail. Rockshox Tora, Time Pedals, Mavic Wheels, Panaracer Tires, Easton Bar, Truvativ Cranks, Shimano Controls

Mechanix Orignial gloves, do they absorb sweat?

thinking about getting the Mechanix Orignial gloves. how well do they absorb sweat for wiping the eyes? normally half way through my ride I start getting sweat burning my eyes.Read More »

1 of 5 Orignial Wright Brothers Bikes

I am in Washington DC this week for a business trip, and tonight we were privileged to have dinner at the Smithsonian Museum of Air and Space. While checking out the Wright brothers Exhibit I came across this and thought you guys might appreciate it. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/kl ... Read More »