Mechanix M-Pact Gloves

4.5/5 (10 Reviews)

On race day the pressure doesn’t let up and neither can you. That’s why we created the M-Pact Glove. Expertly constructed with long-wearing features such as a strategically layered synthetic Clarino palm padded with EVA foam and a low-profile elastic cuff for mobility, the M-Pact is a tool designed to work with you to counteract fatigue. Anatomically designed for a comfortable fit, the flexible, bonded TPR finger ribs and knuckles supply critical protection. When you require a greater degree of sensitivity, the M-Pact is also available in a fingerless version.

Submitted by marquism2 a Cross Country Rider from Costa Mesa, CA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2011

Strengths:    Fit my hands perfectly, excellent design for MTB even though they're not cycling gloves, good protection, pretty durable.

Weaknesses:    A couple seam stitches started pulling out. I turned the glove inside out and sewed them back up and they've been perfect since.

Bottom Line:
I bought a set of these gloves at Lowes on a whim because they happened to fit my hand perfectly and they were on sale ($18). They turned out to be the best MTB gloves I've ever owned. The plastic armor on the back saved my fingers when went I down against a cable fence. The palm pad layout seems just right to me. I'm hard on gloves and they've been tough. I'm almost two years into the first set and they're still going strong. Just wash 'em out and hang to dry.

All gloves start with how they fit and hands can be vastly different from person to person, so "fit" mostly means how they fit YOU. These fit me perfectly and I liked them enough to buy a 3-pair package on eBay for $39.

Favorite Trail:   If I told you, you'd ride there and I can't have that...

Purchased At:   eBay, Lowes

Similar Products Used:   Lots of other cycling-specific gloves

Bike Setup:   Irrelevant

Submitted by RyanHerb a Cross Country Rider from Dalton, Ga

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2009

Strengths:    Price!!! Reinforced Grip Easy Wash Doesnt get overly hot or wet. Extremely durable. Knuckle guards and no loss of mobility

Weaknesses:    None really that i have found Well the gray knuckle guards are coming off but superglue shall fix that

Bottom Line:
Great Great Gloves cheap durable not flashy
Will buy again and again. Anyone tired of their Flashy P.O.S. falling apart after shelling out 75 bucks get these 20-30 gloves and you will never go back

Favorite Trail:   Raccon Mountain Chat TN

Purchased At:   AutoZone

Similar Products Used:   None been with these since the beginning

Bike Setup:   Jamis Trail X3 stock until stuff wears out

Submitted by anchor a Downhiller from St Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Strengths:    Inexpensive, breath pretty well, durable, don't look too bad

Weaknesses:    No sweat wiping capabilities, not bike specific

Bottom Line:
I bought the MRT M-pact's and have gotten plenty of use out of them. Trying to downhill on a rigid 29er results in heavy use of the gloves. I assume I'll get another 6 months or so of wear out of them, and I'll probably try a different glove, but I really have nothing bad to say about them.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   MTB specific gloves

Bike Setup:   Redline MonoCog 29er, Specialized Big Hit, Union Street Molly Maguire

Submitted by sjpendleton a Racer from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Strengths:    Grips Well, Protects Well, Reasonably Cheap

Weaknesses:    Breathability, Pain to keep clean

Bottom Line:
This glove is great while you're riding it. It offers great protection and grip. Unfortunately, it's not very breathable so you sweat like crazy in it, and thus you have to wash it after nearly every ride unless you want it to develop an awful, awful smell. Washing it that much makes it wear pretty fast. So while it's plenty durable on the trail, it wears fast in the washing machine. Also, it says not to put it in the dryer, but it's really hard to get them dry by hang-drying them (and I live in LA; no shortage of hot air here).

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Jarl a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2008

Strengths:    Good protection
Good feel
Comfy

Weaknesses:    Tiny bit too hot on summers days
durability

Bottom Line:
This is for the M-pact 2 glove, rather than the original M pact.

These are great gloves. Good quality, well made, comfortable, good fit, good protection. Everything you could want in a glove. I have two gripes, though. They're a tiny bit too hot so you sweat in the summer, and the gloves then smell really bad, though that's not such a problem. The second problem is much more serious- after about 8 to 10 months use (although I've owned them for a year, I use winter gloves in the winter) they just fell apart on me. Multiple holes opened up within a couple of rides. Given the asking price, there's no way I'm buying a second pair. Which is a pity, because I was really liking them. If they didn't fall apart, 5 chilli's for sure on both categories.

Bike Setup:   inbred 456

Submitted by stib a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2008

Strengths:    Well constructed.
Reasonable cost.
Good protection for back of hand and fingers.

Weaknesses:    A stitch that runs along thumb can be uncomfortable at times.
Not as much protection for the palms as I was hoping for.
No terry cloth to wipe away sweat.

Bottom Line:
Because the bike was not necessarily designed to be a mountain bike specific glove, there are going to be some short comings relative to a "mountain bike" specific glove. But what I've found over the years is that over the years, mountain bike specific gloves have been getting crappier and crappier, particularly with regards to durability, especially in the palm area.

I found that the Mechanix gloves were very well constructed, with good stitching and use of durable materials, especially along the back of the hands and knuckles. The gloves seemed significantly more durable than my old Cedric Garcia gloves with their useless and weak "carbon" knuckles.

What held this glove back for me was the stitching that runs right along the ends of my thumbs would dig into my thumbs when shifting. I found it to be uncomfortable and annoying. I've never had this problem with other gloves.

The palms were constructed of that suede-like material that most gloves seem to be made of. While it didn't wear out as fast as other gloves, after about 8 months of use, I started to see some holes forming on the palms. I don't think the gloves would not have fared that great if I had crashed and slid on my palms - but not better or worse than most other gloves. I wonder why manufacturers can't come up with a more durable material for the palms. I understand that many riders want to maximize "feel" but I'd rather protect my palms in the event of a crash.

All in all, I was generally pretty happy with the glove. I had to retire them after getting into a little poison oak.

Purchased At:   Pep Boys

Similar Products Used:   Countless "mountain bike" specific gloves.

Bike Setup:   Mtn: Turner RFX.
Road:Scott CR1.

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2008

Strengths:    Very well made gloves, good protection with rubber on top and padding on the palms, well vented, very comfortable overall. Price is excellent when compared to similar gloves.

Weaknesses:    The "Mechanix Wear" patch on the wrist cuff reduces flexibility, but it's not a huge deal.

Bottom Line:
These gloves are incredible, period. I was surprised at how well vented they are, considering that they're full-finger, but the quality is outstanding. Another thing to note is the price- they cost less than most name-brand gloves and work way better! Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Seaton

Purchased At:   Parts Source

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh full-finger gloves (from Canadian Tire)

Bike Setup:   '06 Trek 3900, alloy pedals, Profile bar-ends, SKS shockboards

Submitted by Martin Garcia a Cross Country Rider from Harker Heights, Texas

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2008

Strengths:    -Fit
-Durability
-Looks
-Protection

Weaknesses:    Maybe slightly hotter than fingerless gloves in summer

Bottom Line:
After using the so called bike specific Specialized gloves these dont even compare. After taking a few falls with the specialized gloves, I decided to try these out. What a world of difference in protection and feel. I will never use another type of glove again. Great job Mechanix!

Favorite Trail:   BLORA Park/FT Hood, Texas

Purchased At:   Pep Boys

Similar Products Used:   Some fingerless specialized gloves

Bike Setup:   -'06 Haro Shift F/S

Submitted by Rob S a Cross Country Rider from Sutton, On, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2008

Strengths:    Great protection, lightweight, fairly breathable, extremely durable, great overall design

Weaknesses:    can get a little warm on the really hot days, if your not worried about dirtying up your fingers, might want to go with the fingerless?

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended glove!! I`m looking to buy a new pair, possibly the fingerless version for a little extra breath ability.
The durability of these gloves is spectacular, i`ve had a few tumbles, and the gloves dont seem to be showing any wear, other than the minor stretching from so many quick movements in the technical trails.

Purchased At:   Canadian Tire