Home | Reviews | Gloves | Giro

Giro Xen Gloves

2.08/5 (12 Reviews)

The Giro Xen MTB Gloves are lightly padded, protective all-moutain gloves designed for the most epic of rides. It delivers supreme comfort without sacrificing control.

Submitted by Dave a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2012

Strengths:    Light, comfortable and looks good. maintains dexterity despite being full fingered.

Weaknesses:    Not very durable. Stitching started to fall apart within about a week. 6 months later the palms are unraveling. the Velcro strap also tend to open while riding.

Bottom Line:
I had this for about 6 months and they are very good at being a light comfortable full fingered gloves that maximizes control feel. The only thing is being constructed to be very light, the stitching quality is not very good so it has started to fall apart. I do now see these on sale for $18 at jensonusa so I may get another pair or I may try Fox. I originally bought these for about $30 at a LBS and I feel it was not worth that price.

Favorite Trail:   Vail Lake Temecula

Purchased At:   The BikeShop Temecul

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LTc SPXAM kit.

Submitted by McJeeper a Weekend Warrior from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2011

Strengths:    looks, ventilation, fit

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
Fox changed my favorite glove, the Sidewinder, and so I went searching for something new. The Xen, with its ample mesh panels and gel palm insert, seemed promising. I'm disappointed. After about 5 rides, the rubber "armor" is coming off, a minor twig snag started a hole between the fingers, and the velcro won't stay closed. I really like how well they breathe in the Texas summer heat, but I don't expect them to live for many more rides.

I could recommend them for XC racing, but they just don't hold up to trail riding. Too bad, now I have to find something else.

Favorite Trail:   BCGB

Purchased At:   Treefort

Similar Products Used:   Many in the Fox array

Bike Setup:   Turner Sultan DW 29er

Submitted by rednova75 a Weekend Warrior from San Rafael CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2011

Strengths:    Looks, ventilation and grip

Weaknesses:    Construction and durability

Bottom Line:
I'm on my third pair of these glove as I keep hoping they will last longer than the last. The upsides are that for a full fingered glove the ventilation is great even on a hot day. The major problem with these glove is the construction and durability! The mesh on the fingers wear out into holes within a couple of months the rubber peels off the fingers in weeks and the last pair the stitching has already started to rip after one days riding!!! Great potential but until the construction of the gloves is improved dint waste your money!

Favorite Trail:   Boondocks

Purchased At:   Rei

Bike Setup:   Custom Banshee Rune

Submitted by Don a Weekend Warrior from Olathe, KS

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, comfortable, seem to work well

Weaknesses:    Silicon finger tips all ready coming off

Bottom Line:
I love my AXO Descend gloves. I didn't like the 661 Descend gloves. They wore out in a year.

I have been looking for replacement gloves for a long time. The Xen seem to fit the bill. Overall, I am happy with them. I am surprised that after two rides the silicon finger tips are coming off. No crashes or anything sick. Just riding and portaging a bike.

I hope they hold up.

Favorite Trail:   River Trail Lawrence, KS

Purchased At:   University Bikes, Bo

Similar Products Used:   AXO Descend, 661 Descend

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic 2007

Submitted by onepunkdoc a Weekend Warrior from boise, ID

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    good looks, fits well

Weaknesses:    fell apart after only one day of riding. the tips of the fingers were wearing through at the thin mesh portion after about 2hrs of hard riding. The first crash tore out all the seams on the right palm. I understand that the synthetic leather on the palm might get shredded in a crash but the leather was still in good shape -- it was the seams that all busted.

Bottom Line:
Dont buy these gloves, no matter how good they look and fit, they just fall apart.

Favorite Trail:   the whole enchillada, moab

Similar Products Used:   Axo, fox, dakine,

Bike Setup:   06 Yeti 575, full xtr, fox float 150 fork, DT swiss 1450 wheelset, gravity dropper seatpost

Submitted by lew242 a Downhiller from UK and China

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2011

Strengths:    Ventilation, appearance

Weaknesses:    Quality and stretching

Bottom Line:
These gloves are great for retailers, easy to sell to unsuspecting riders who might be keen other Giro products like their helmets (eg Remedy) so might buy these without first checking a review, they have great graphics and look good in the shop too, and fit well when you try them on.

The only problem comes when you attempt to use them. At first a medium glove fitted remarkably well, and I was impressed with the gloves ventilation, maybe a full finger glove that I could use in hot conditions, great. However within one ride the glue from cuff strap had unraveled one cuff and the gloves stretched out to some size similar to XL, and washing did not re-shrink them, making them almost unusable.

I live in China where you can get fake fox gloves easily, and to be honest those are way better than these.

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   140mm travel FS

Submitted by Gakster a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, good bar feel

Weaknesses:    Poor durability,

Bottom Line:
Got these gloves on sale at REI. I like gloves that are snug and with good grip/bar feel. Tried Xen in the stores and they felt very comfy and thin.

Rode them for ~ 6months for mainly road and some MTB. Very poor durability. Tearing at the seams and the Clarino strated to stretch. I guess that is the downside of thin gloves. My fav thin gloves was the 661 Raji and they lasted 1+ years.

I would not recommend these gloves.

Favorite Trail:   EDCM, Demo others

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Fox Incline, AXO, 661 Raji

Bike Setup:   XC and DH/FR

Submitted by Lord_Konti a Downhiller from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2010

Strengths:    Grippy, Comfortable, Good Air Flow.

Weaknesses:    Wish they had a little more padding in the palm but gloves are awesome as is.

Bottom Line:
I've been using these gloves on the trails and roads, for about 3 months. They have held up very well and they are still in good condition. I live and ride in Texas, and it can get VERY hot during the summer and these gloves have a great mesh material that keeps my hands cool. I went ahead and bought a 2nd pair and highly recommend them to anyone looking for a good pair of full fingered gloves.

Favorite Trail:   LB Houston