Fox Racing Unabomber Gloves

Take the Fox Racing Men's Unabomber Glove out for high-speed spin through the woods. Knuckle padding and a tough suede palm keeps your paws protected if you whack your hand on a tree at Mach-loony. Silicone detailing on the inside of the fingers helps you grip your shifters, and a suede-covered thumb helps this high-wear area last through seasons of abuse. Low-and-behold, Fox even gave the Unabomber a water-repellent Ionmask treatment so you can spill water and other delicious beverages without soaking your hands.

Submitted by SnakeHandling SingleSpeeder a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2013

Strengths:    Fox brand
Good quality
Ventilation

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I got my gloves on clearance at bike wagon. They were cheap. I have ridden in the hundreds of times, wrecked out and had no issues with wear or tear. The plan is a little discolored from moisture but they look almost new still. They are a little to ventilated for winter riding, but better than nothing in the cold.

Submitted by dez

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2013

Strengths:    Cumfy good fit simple

Weaknesses:    FOX lift your game !
How can a company that makes such good hardware put their name on such a poorly constructed product.
I should of gone by my gut feeling after the last pair of gloves that failed made by FOX.
These gloves lasted six rides !, no crashes no digging soft thick grips on my bars , the poor design of hard rubber stitched to faux leather on the palm is always going to be a weak point. WHY cant your designers get it right , a pair of $10 gardening gloves are designed better with a one piece leather palm. These were very expensive gloves.
Why do these designers try to obtain look over function get your act together lads , stop trying to re invent the wheel and
JUST GIVE US SOME GLOVES THAT DONT FALL TO PIECES.
I will never buy your shoddy products again and will encourage everyone I see on a mountain bike to avoid them
now Im off to the hardware store to buy some ten dollar gardening gloves.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUT FOX GLOVES

Submitted by robbie the dog

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2012

Strengths:    knuckle padding is nice, esp on pinkies.

Weaknesses:    design flaw on palm. expensive.

Bottom Line:
NIce gloves, but the palms wear out. Attaching thin glove leather to a hard plastic right where the hand rests on the bars is a bad idea. The leather stretches and tears at the the stitching after about a year of use. I like the idea of protecting the heel of my hand with a tougher material, but this didn't work. I'd hope that gloves would last more than a season of moderate riding.

Submitted by kwoodward a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2012

Strengths:    Design, quality, comfort, usability

Weaknesses:    Expensive, offensive product name

Bottom Line:
I bought these primarily as winter gloves but also to provide more protection than my Dirtpaws on some of my more sketchy downhill rides, but like them so much I'm wearing them more and more. Bottom line is these are the best gloves I have ever worn. I see where some reviewers have experienced quality issues but I have not and wonder if there might have been a design flaw in earlier models since most of those poor reviews are from 2009-2010. The current price is on the high end of MTB gloves, but if you shop around and wait until a special can find them for 20 percent off. If you typically wear more minimal or gloves in the $20-$25 range and wonder what the difference is between them and more expensive models like these you will notice the difference the first time you put them on, believe me. I usually wear size XL gloves and exchanged the first pair for XXL which fit me perfect. The biggest problem I have with these gloves is the offensive name given this model which some marketing "genius" at Fox probably thought was edgy but in reality represents a mass murderer responsible for the death and injury of many innocent people.

Similar Products Used:   Fox Dirtpaw, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Tallboy LT SPXAM

Submitted by kootenaybob a Cross Country Rider from BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2011

Strengths:    Looks good

Weaknesses:    Poor material

Bottom Line:
Gloves were great out of the box. Comfortable looked great and protected my hands. After the second wash in cold water and hang dry the fingers plastic guards became disfigured and stiff so badly that they became very uncomfortable. Also noticed the palm stitching started to separate.

Favorite Trail:   Crown Point, Rossland

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign X1

Submitted by ehigh a Weekend Warrior from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2011

Strengths:    I'll start by saying that I have the 2011 Unabomber gloves. They look different and have different materials in them and are apparently stronger than the pair shown.
Continuing:
These gloves are great!
I do a lot of all mountain and light freeride.
I have eaten it numerous times since I purchased these. In all the falls that I have taken, there is only one small crack in the plastic material on the palm of the glove. They have taken a lot of beatings that have left my hands in great shape!
These can breathe too!

Weaknesses:    There was one ride out of the many that I have gone on where a bit of the material was rubbing on my hand funny which resulted in a tiny blister. I am not sure why this happened, but it hasn't happened since; and that wasn't even my sweatiest ride.

Bottom Line:
I recommend these gloves.

Favorite Trail:   Manzanita

Purchased At:   Art's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   First pair of full finger gloves intended for mountain biking.

Bike Setup:   Norco Range 3, ODI Rogue grips, Straitline pedals, Specialized Phenom seat

Submitted by rosco123 a Downhiller from colorado

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    it is very durable. they last i have bought 2 pairs to alternate and they are both 3 yrs old and still going strong.

Weaknesses:    none that i have found

Bottom Line:
theses gloves are awesome they are not hot and are very comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   can disclose

Purchased At:   ski haus

Bike Setup:   trek remedy 8

Submitted by grantjennings a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Strengths:    Strength and Style

Bottom Line:
I had a nasty 30 MPH downhill crash and landed on my hands skidding on rocks and gravel, these gloves save my hands cuts and skin loss, still wearing 1.5 years after the crash and they are in great shape

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo SL

Submitted by ybiker a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Strengths:    Good protection, terry wiper, venting.

Weaknesses:    Don't last forever. Thorns can penetrate the softer areas.

Bottom Line:
These are the best gloves I've used. They offer very good protection from almost everything except thorns. They are well vented and have a terry section to wipe your face. They are a little pricey and last only about a year with washing, but IMO are worth the price.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Warehouse

Similar Products Used:   Other Fox Racing gloves such as the Sidewinder.

Bike Setup:   2009 Trek Fuel EX 9.8

Submitted by foxgloves a Cross Country Rider from Mianus, CT

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Strengths:    great looking

Weaknesses:    after only 4 uses, the kevlar cloth covering the heel portion of the palm separated from the rest of the glove, leaving a 1 inch tear. This happened after minimal use and 0 crashes. For what you pay, it's poor workmanship and quality control.
I contacted Fox, and they said to send it back to the retailer. Why can't fox handle the issue of their poor quality glove directly?

Bottom Line:
pass!

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback

Bike Setup:   29er hardtail

Submitted by jasjaz a Weekend Warrior from Ringwood, Vic, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable, cool, offer good protection,look great

Weaknesses:    Questionable quality control, poor choice on some materials

Bottom Line:
First-up light, decent protective glove. Although I still have concerns (see below), my two current pairs have served me well on road and mtb for several months with limited signs of wear. I have hit my hands on trees and bushes, taken a reasonable fall and my hands were well protected.

I use them also on my road bike: in cool weather (not cold)for protection from temperature and in warm weather (as they don't result in hands overheating) while providing good crash protection.

Purchased original pair in Mar 09. On my first pair: after two rides I pulled the kevlar from the palm stitching (the rides were along concrete bike paths, no significant off road or hard riding). BS replaced this pair.
Second pair: one ride under similar conditions to above, exactly the same problem. Simon from Monza (distributor) was in shop, he replaced gloves and suggested a bike fit. Bit fit resulted in rotating bars up and away (thereby reducing sweepback). The sweepback had meant outside heal of hand was pushing hard against grip (hard knurled rubber Giant clamp ons), thereby wearing outermost section of grip and stressing glove. Personally this failure still concerns me although I have not had any problems since.

Like previous review, the velcro snags on material on back of hand, snarling and leaving pulled threads. Most other Fox gloves have more appropriate material on back of hand.

Sent feedback to Fox USA and distributor, no response.

So: gloves fit well, provide good dexterity and lever control; are comfortable, cool in warm conditions; preventing frostbite in cool conditions (but I am a bit of a furnace anyway),provide good impact protection and look hot! My pairs are solid black and solid white. The two durability concerns are listed above and therefore you may (as others have described) be at the mercy of your LBS and /or Fox. Current rating would be higher but for lingering concerns.

Purchased At:   BSuper Store Nunawad

Similar Products Used:   Fox (various), Answer MX

Bike Setup:   Trance X1 2009 (Aussie spec): Fox RL120 remote 15mm, Fox RP23, XT: UST rims, gears & brakes; otherwise Race Face Deus, Gobi XM saddle Crossmark tyres.
Also ride: 2006 Synapse with Durace, Mavic Open Pro, Serfas Furano saddle;
Cannondale Street Tandem 2007.

Submitted by Hedgehog53 a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton Canada

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Looks good and seems like a good design

Weaknesses:    Poorly made

Bottom Line:
First time off the bike my middle finger blew through the side wall with a 2 cm tear. Not another mark on the glove. All the reviews that like this glove are early 2008 or earlier. All the recent ratings are very low. Makes me think they moved production off shore or something.

Purchased At:   River Valley Cycle

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg, Cevelo RS

Submitted by fseminario a Cross Country Rider from miami, fl

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable and durable.

Weaknesses:    The velcro on the 2009 model is designed horribly. It sticks to the polyester that covers the top of your and everytime you put them on you have to tear the velcro from the polyester causing immediate tear and wear. SUCKS

Bottom Line:
No worth paying for these since they will start tearing apart very soon.

Favorite Trail:   Quipan, Peru