Fox Racing Sidewinder Gloves

4.47/5 (112 Reviews)

The Fox Sidewinder is a full finger, lightweight bicycle glove. Silicone fingertip and clarino palm provide the rider with an excellent, comfortable grip. Also features lightweight air top mesh fabric that offers additional comfort to the rider as well

Submitted by kdihlong a Cross Country Rider from Mt Dora

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    Very comfortable, design and materials are good. Cool, dry quick. Four finders have leather around the tips. Good protection.

Weaknesses:    Workmanship- missed stitching, rubber wrist pad not glued on straight and peeling off causing the material in that area to rip.

Bottom Line:
These list for $40. I would never pay that much for a pair of gloves, but even for $20 these are a disappointment. It's a shame because they seem like they would hold up well if the workmanship was good. If you can check them out in person and see no defects I would buy.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by intheopen a Weekend Warrior from Texas

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2010

Strengths:    Put together well, good fit, like the full rubber tips of fingers to grip the brakes

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any

Bottom Line:
I have had such good luck with these that I just ordered the new version. I hope they won't let me down.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore

Purchased At:   Some place in Steamb

Similar Products Used:   None, I have had these for about 10 years but just started using them alot this last 2 years, about 2 times a week.

Bike Setup:   1998 Trek 820, 2011 29er Stumpjumper HT

Submitted by Pete2 a Racer from Australia

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2009

Strengths:    I've used fox gloves almost exclusively for the last 7-8 years, and a pair of Sidewinders have always been in my kit. They have, in the past, been fantastic hard wearing, comfortable gloves with good build quality. Excellent materials, good knuckle and palm protection. The velcro closure is an improvement on the older model.

Weaknesses:    Very poor workmanship on stitching. The stitching around the rubber palm pad actually missed the pad in one spot, leaving the palm weak an creased, and on the back of the other glove the double stitching also missed the panel it was meant to be attaching. Design wise the "lumps" in the back of the hand and fingers have replaced molded protection, but are a bit uncomfortable in comparison.

Bottom Line:
This review is for a pair of '08 Sidewinders. Based on previous experience with Fox kit I really hope these were factory rejects or seconds being passed off as firsts - otherwise Fox quality has taken a huge dive! These gloves are junk, I doubt they'll last more than a few weeks. Having done my hard earned cash on these I'd recommend checking the workmanship of any Fox kit before you buy.

Note: purchased on eBay from Grimcycles (Grim Reaper Racing Motocross, Ellington), who did offer to look at the gloves and maybe exchange replacement, but would not cover the round trip shipping which added up to way more than the gloves are worth.

Favorite Trail:   Christmas Hills

Purchased At:   grimcycles (eBay for

Similar Products Used:   Multiple pairs of Sidewinders and other Fox gloves, 661s, and others

Submitted by thrasher_s a Weekend Warrior from el Paso, Tx

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2009

Strengths:    Good fit and finish. Excellent grip on handlebars and brake levers. Good padding on knuckles, but definitely not too bulky. Breathable, but not so breathable that they fall apart right away. 2009 model (different from picture above as of Oct. 09) comes in several sweet colors.

Weaknesses:    My hands are somewhere INBETWEEN a large and XL. I buy larges and hope they stretch without ripping, because XL's are just too big.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely Excellent All Mountain glove. Don't use it for downhill or XC racing, but everything in between.

I bought the olive green color. Liked em enough that I bought the burnt orange color as a second pair.

Favorite Trail:   all of em

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   A variety of glove types. DH and XC specific.

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy, Specialized Stumpy 29

Submitted by Rick Glos a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
The glove ripped at the seam at the base of my thumb the first time I put it on. I have an older pair of these gloves which is why I purchased these. Also, they removed the snot wipe and it's only got a small bit of felt on the knuckle of the thumb for wiping your brow, terrible design changes.

Purchased At:   Backcountry

Submitted by squads a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2008

Strengths:    Very comfortable, full-fingered for protection, good durability, best looking gloves around, snot wiper on thumb is priceless

Weaknesses:    pricey (most good gear is), tend to get hot, thumbs were tight at first

Bottom Line:
I've used these for a year now and they are still in great shape. Others have had problems with the stitching coming apart, but I have not seen that with Oury grips. Wash them every couple weeks and they are good to go.

When I first got the gloves, the thumbs were too tight, causing some numbness. I let them break in and mold a bit and now they fit ummm...like a glove. Oh yeah they get warm, but that is generally the drawback of a durable full-fingered glove.

Bottom line is I've crashed numerous times on logs and rocks and such, gouging up legs and arms, but my hands haven't caught a scratch.

Favorite Trail:   French Creek State Park

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi and Giant cheapos

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush, Oury lock-ons...that is about all that is relavent here

Submitted by Jonathan a Weekend Warrior from NYC, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Strengths:    Comfortable and Durable

Weaknesses:    After several washings rubber brush gaurds on index finger fell off.

Bottom Line:
Good quality glove comfortable and better than most other products I have tried.

Purchased At:   WheelWorld.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, SixSixOne, Fox Polarpaw

Bike Setup:   Full suspesion 5" Front & Rear

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Auckland

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2007

Strengths:    Fantastic fit. Glove molds to my hand.

Weaknesses:    Stitching has worn on the palms.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 2007 glove. In less than 2months the stitching has worn away to nothingness and the gloves are falling apart at the middle of the palm next to the evo padding. It's such a pity as I love the feel and fit of this glove - it's the best I've tried. I reckon it's a design problem. All of my old gloves show wear at the same part of the palm, but none have stitching running across this area excluding the sidewinder. I reckon my grippy ODI grips may be a factor in wear and another reviewer has highlighted this too.

Very disappointing. I can't afford to swap out gloves every 2months!

Similar Products Used:   661 Garcia, Specialized BG

Bike Setup:   2006 Trance 1. ODI Rogue grips.

Submitted by JV a Racer from Belgium

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2007

Strengths:    looks good, good fit, don't fall apart after 3 rides

Weaknesses:    feel snug on first ride, rubber logo's come off easily

Bottom Line:
Great gloves. Didn't really like them at first but after breaking them in they are awesome. This is the only glove I use at the moment, super comfortable.

These gloves are not cheap but well worth the money!

Favorite Trail:   Winterberg Bike Park

Similar Products Used:   thor, troy lee, no fear, oakley, o'neal, fox, 661, ... I have tried pretty much every brand of gloves

Bike Setup:   bmx style, stiff suspension

Submitted by ryan a Weekend Warrior from Reno,NV,USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2007

Strengths:    looks sick
grip grip grip
doesnt get dirty easy

Weaknesses:    little silicon and rubber things fall of after 2 or 3 weeks, but those are useless anyway... I have long fingers, but small palms, so fit was a little sketchy, but thats the same with all gloves for me

Bottom Line:
Good riding glove, if ur not doing full out DH and cliff hucks... I see it as a DJ glove, looks good, feels good.

Purchased At:   Sierra Trading Post

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Teocali Super

Submitted by brian a Weekend Warrior from quezon city, philippines

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2007

Strengths:    great looks, thick thumb cushion for wiping off sweat, properly padded, great looks

Weaknesses:    quite uncomfortable at first, not well ventilated, color doesn't fade after washing

Bottom Line:
needs a little getting used to when new coz of the material on the front of the glove and is not properly ventilated. if you're an avid xc rider under the sun and very comfort concerned(in which i don't care at all), you'd better think about using these gloves. other than those mentioned, all praises to these gloves. definitely the best gloves in the market. cheaper than the oakley's-but still quite expensive.

Bike Setup:   trek fuel ex8:manitou minute 1,spinergy,thomson,truvativ,wtb,sram,avid;da bomb xlr8:marzocchi dj3,sram,sun,hates,truvativ;khs alite:element,truvativ,wtb,avid,sram

Submitted by Dan from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Strengths:    good strong gloves good fit provide good protection

Weaknesses:    velcro stitching falling apart, the material on the thumb has gone brown, and rubber on fingers wearing thin and gets slippery if ANY form of oil or sweat get on them

Bottom Line:
good gloves hole proof i say

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Fox, Fox, fox mongoose, fox,

Bike Setup:   Faith three YEEEEEEEW

Submitted by William from Florida

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2006

Strengths:    Strong quality, great gripping, good placement of right fabrics where needed most!

Weaknesses:    Can be a little warm

Bottom Line:
Fox makes good quality gear. The gloves are some of the best on the market and constantly get good reviews from everywhere all of the time. Great gripping, great fit!

Favorite Trail:   Alafia River State Park

Purchased At:   Knight Bikes

Bike Setup:   Marin Nail Trail

Submitted by FreERider a Downhiller from MaLaYsia

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2006

Strengths:    Grips likes hell even in wet condition..Great design..Quite comfortable while riding..Good quality of material..Machine washable..It doesn't tear easily even if u crash..

Weaknesses:    The two black rubber at the finger fading..

Bottom Line:
Mine is the 04' model..Great gloves..Quite cheap..Outstanding performance..Looks great..Won't regret for buying it..

Favorite Trail:   All kind of trail that is fun

Purchased At:   Joo Ngan Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Iron Mag(sucks)..

Submitted by ezweave a Downhiller from Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Strengths:    They were on sale. The reinforced palm might be good, that's actually where I have destroyed Sidewinders in the past.

Weaknesses:    What happened? These are 2005 models and the plastic knuckle ribs have almost all fallen off, they were glued on and not very well. The palm is almost worn through and the padding on the top is kinda sparse. Not sure if it would hold up, but I haven't had a big wreck in a while, so I have no idea. I have had a few sidewinders and these are the worst. Actually, my 99 pair lasted the longest...

Bottom Line:
Disappointment.

I didn't really ride much in the year I owned these, I was kinda burnt out by injury and stress (I'm very busy). Anyway, I ruined a pair of other Sidewinders in a DJ accident (palms gone). So these were on sale (the color was kinda weak: black/red). They suck, I mean I can't believe they are fox gloves. The rubber mesh on the outside of the lower palm might actually prevent the kind of wear I have incurred in the past, but the rest is actively falling apart. I maybe have 60 hours in them and if I see a better glove on sale, they are going to be used for yard work.

They aren't horrible, I have learned that ODI Ruffian grips kind of file away at palms... a few decent drops and you can feel the palm leather wearing away.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Other Sidewinders, Digits, etc. Oh I have some Inclines for my road bike.

Bike Setup:   Not really relevant. A short travel DH/FR bike.

Noob Question, Upgrade handlebar on Schwinn Sidewinder?

thinking of getting a schwinn sidewinder [URL="http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Schwinn-Sidewinder-Men-s-Mountain-Bike/21191091"]http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Schwinn-Si ... e/21191091[/URL]. My questions are 1) is the handlebar upgradable on it? 2) I want taller handlebars that would be more comfo ... Read More »

Sidewinder Trail in Olathe

[URL]http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/co/field_offices/gunnison_gorge_national/maps.Par.33695.File.dat/2011-04-14_Sidewinder%20Trail%20Map.pdf[/URL] I will be visiting my parents in Olathe in a couple weeks (Aug 3-10) and will likely bring my mountain bike. Conveniently this Sidewinder tr ... Read More »

Who the F is removing rocks from Sidewinder/Juan/Burn?

To the d-bag(s) that is removing/digging out the rocks from some of Santa Fe's best trails: Stop turning some of our only technical trails into wheelchair paths. Stop ruining our trails. Learn to ride over techy rocks or stay on Dale Ball North. You are ruining it for the rest of us. Leave Sidewin ... Read More »

90's Schwinn Sidewinder

Hello everyone, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct section of the forums but here goes. I recently purchased an older Schwinn Sidewinder as a summer project with the intention of updating it and using it for city/light trail use. I'm not sure what year the bike is but the headset is ... Read More »