Fox Racing Polarpaw Gloves

2.08/5 (12 Reviews)

The longtime cold weather classic. 2mm thick neoprene to keep yo insulated and warm. Rubberized Clarino palm helps grip when the grips get wet and dirty. Black only.

Submitted by Bulldog a Cross Country Rider from Maryland Hgts. ,Mo. USA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2010

Strengths:    Good glove for that early morning chilly ride when it's above thirty degrees. Good knuckle protection and great feel on the grips.

Weaknesses:    Fox sizing is always small so I'm glad I ordered a large size.

Bottom Line:
These are not cold weather gloves like when it's five above zero. I have other gloves for that. These gloves are perfect when the ride is cold to start, then warms up later. Above fifty deg. I would wear my regular 661s.

Favorite Trail:   Matson Hill

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   GT heats, axo, 661, scwhinn, salsa, etc...

Bike Setup:   four bikes: Bianchi 29r, Giant NRS1, KHS FR2000 and my moab 1 setup for SS.

Submitted by Jonathan a Weekend Warrior from NYC, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Strengths:    Fox product. Nice design '08 model. Durable construction

Weaknesses:    No terry cloth patch on the back(what, you don't sweat in cold days?) No discernable warming qualities. small patch of neoprene on knuckle area. Not a true Winter glove. If you can see your breath these will not keep you warm

Bottom Line:
A good comfortable glove for cool days in the 40's or better. My only real complaint is that I would like to see a terry cloth patch on the thumb

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Fox Sidewinder, Specialized, SixSixOne

Submitted by shane a Cross Country Rider from huntingtown

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2004

Strengths:    warm(must know the trick)

Weaknesses:    uncomfortable,esp. w/sweaty hands

Bottom Line:
this is a strange glove.the first time i wore them in sub-freezing weather i thought i'd get frostbite.they slowly began to warm up, and by the end of the ride my hands were HOT!
The trick is to warm the gloves up before you ride.My solution was to put them on the defogger in my truck on the way to the trailhead.

Favorite Trail:   avalon/patapsco

Purchased At:   bike doctor/arnold

Bike Setup:   santa cruz superlight

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Pullman, Wa

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Strengths:    My mother in law asked me to email her a product and website info for what I wanted for X-mas... I needed cold weather gloves, like Fox, and saw that these were on sale... I thought with a name like Polarpaw, they have to be good... WRONG! I was very disapointed as soon as I saw them. I can not name a single strength for these.

Weaknesses:    They are cheap! Not is price but in quality. The greay areas you see in the picture that you expect to be sewn patches are really just painted on. There is no palm padding in these gloves that you would expect in a cycling glove. They are also uncomfortable. They are thin and the misplaced pads they do have are uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
I wish I would have checked this site before I bought them!!! Please do not make the same mistake.

Favorite Trail:   Preston Railroad Grade - Tiger Mtn

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   REI full finger gloves work great. I have wore them out and need a new pair. Unfortunately the Discomfort Delux Frostbite Paws are not going to cut it. At least they were on sale.

Submitted by robo a Cross Country Rider from brick

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Strengths:    none unless you like the sweet smell of neoprene

Weaknesses:    your hans will freeze wit these things...can actually be colder than wit nothin at all!

Bottom Line:
do not waste your money. other fox products i have bought are very good but not this time

Favorite Trail:   american standard

Purchased At:   fox direct

Similar Products Used:   pearl izumi

Bike Setup:   not relevant

Submitted by Connor a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Strengths:    Good grip with Clarino palm
Form fitting, hand dexterity

Weaknesses:    Doesn't keep hands warm at all. Lack of any insulation in the palm area is a big culprit here. I first wore them while walking before using them on my bike, in 20 degree weather. I knew I was in trouble when my hands became cold at walking speeds. Riding is almost unbearable-numb/cold hands within 1.5 miles at 20 degrees even with a polypro glove liner. My old REI wind gloves with same liner are MUCH warmer. I fear the really cold days of winter wearing these gloves!

Bottom Line:
Not recommended for real winter riding in cold climates despite the name "Polarpaw". I wish I could return them, but apparently am stuck with them now. I'll probably convert them to spring gloves only and now have to buy some real winter gloves.

Favorite Trail:   Moab-all

Purchased At:   Veloswap

Similar Products Used:   REI wind gloves/polypro liner. I commute in Denver year-round, and these have been good, but not great, at keeping my hands warm despite single digit temps.

Bike Setup:   Irrelevant-MTB/mods

Submitted by GSlug a Racer from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Strengths:    Works well in wet weather. Does not significantly reduce dexterity.

Weaknesses:    Most use a glove liner in cold weather

Bottom Line:
This glove may be mis-named. If you intended to use it on cold, road rides, you will be disappointed. It workes well with a thin wool glove liner, but other cold weather gloves work better.

It does however work well in wet weather if the temperature is not below 45F or so. This is because we retain more dexterity for shifting and braking than you would with a glove that is designed for REAL cold weather.

Favorite Trail:   the long ones

Purchased At:   Westside Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   15 years worth of gloves

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from St Louis

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2001

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Never kept my hands warm like the shop guy said they would.

Bottom Line:
These gloves didn't work for me at all. Wind and cold went right through them. Hands went completely numb and took them back the next day for some Pearl Izumis and am now happy as a clam.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Similar Products Used:   Regular full finger gloves

Submitted by ed kloskowski a Cross Country Rider from Allentown NJ

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Strengths:    None, well maybe the grippy stuff on the fingers and palm

Weaknesses:    Fit, they bind. Function, they DO NOT keep your hands warm no matter what you try

Bottom Line:
These gloves nearly cost me a ride and a finger or two. I was less than a mile in when I noticed how cold me fingers were. I shrugged it off thinking that as I warmed up the gloves would start to work (bike shop told me that they need to warm before the ride and that you hands shold sweat).

Well by mile two my fingers were hurting so bad I didn't know if I could make it back (20 degrees out with slight wind). These things SUCK! if this review saves even one person from buying them its worth it. No matter what I tired I could not keep my hands warm. I went back to the lot after 5 miles adn wamred my hands, put on my full fingered gloves (regular ones) and my hnads felt instantly better.

These things feel like they make you hands COLDER, like there is A/C on in them or something. I saved them for piossbile wind surfing useage, but they will never again go on a ride with me.

Favorite Trail:   local

Purchased At:   Hlaters

Similar Products Used:   Perl and TREK winter gloves - far superior and wonder of wonders they keep your hands warm!

Bike Setup:   ?

Submitted by Ed Edens a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Strengths:    Kept my fingers insulated from the brakes and breeze. Moisture can be a problem if your hands sweat. The shop recommended I wear a thin polypro glove under the neoprene if they get wet or clammy. MTbiked last night in the 20's and no problems.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
Performed as expected.

Favorite Trail:   Any Thing at Night!

Purchased At:   All-Star

Submitted by Dean Johnson a Weekend Warrior from The poconos

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Strengths:    They _look_ really warm.

Weaknesses:    They suck. It was as if they had air conditioner built into them.

Bottom Line:
They just plain, did not do the job. I took at ride at about 25 deg. F. and I _had_ to stop after five minutes because my hands were cramping with cold.

they suck.

Submitted by Oronde Armstrong a weekend warrior from Boston, MA USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

The product in my opinion makes cold weather riding worse that riding with a regular full finger glove. The neoprene gets cold and just transpers the cold straight through to youe fingers. The only way that you have a chace of staying warm is if you put them on before going outside and let your hands get hot. You can't comfortably wear them out side for about 5-20 minutes before they freeze depending on the weather. Not worth the money.