Dakine Defender Gloves

We don't recommend slamming into trees at speed, but if you have to we, urge you to do it while wearing the DAKINE Defender Glove. The Defender is packing a ton of protection to keep your delicate surgeon's hands intact, even if you have an unplanned 3rd degree Arbor Day.

Submitted by Ted a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2014

Strengths:    Great construction, but the fit really is excellent.

Weaknesses:    The stretchy material holding the fingers together is a little weak. Caught on something and tore a hole, which I stitched back.

Bottom Line:
These are my favourite gloves. They got the fit just right for my type of hand - larger palm but shorter fingers. Had lots of Foxes and Giros but always end up wanting something in between S and M - not so with Dakine.

Like everyone says, the palm pad is the best part of the glove. Perfectly placed. And also like everyone else it's the only part with huge scuffs where it has saved my hand many times. The knuckle protection is the same hard material but I'm not sure where you'd need it. Guess I will find out when it happens.

I got mine on sale for about $25 so it's really worthit but I would think twice about paying $80 new.

Purchased At:   ozsale

Similar Products Used:   Fox sidewinder

Submitted by dubdryver a Racer from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, great protection

Weaknesses:    Every other Dakine model I bought was a medium, but these ran slightly small

Bottom Line:
The best part about these gloves is the plate that covers the meat of your hand. Ofcourse the carbon nuckles are good too, but when you land face down on your gloves, that part really saves your hands if you fall. They are a very solid glove, and I wish Dakine would continue to make them or atleast new year models, and I wish I had a large or I would still be wearing them now. My forefinger burnt a hole right through the tip because they ran slightly small.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia/Balm

Purchased At:   Chainlove

Similar Products Used:   661s,Fox,Louis Garneau

Bike Setup:   Tallboy 24lb.

Submitted by wildwest a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, Wa.

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2011

Strengths:    great fit, palm protection.

Weaknesses:    closure is a little cheesy but, no big, because I don't use it anyway.

Bottom Line:
It's a great mt. glove. It's the only pair of gloves that I ride with.Great protection & you don't even notice that their on. The palm protection is very cool. I'll buy another pair when these wear out.

Favorite Trail:   Flowtron

Purchased At:   chainlove

Bike Setup:   Cannondale rize, everything custom.

Submitted by ld50 a Downhiller from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2011

Strengths:    Multi piece leather sewn with double stitching for an ergonomic and durable fit. My favorite part about these gloves is the carbon fiber protection on the palms. They aren't the way while gripping the bar and they have been well testing in crashes with no damage to my palms. The carbon knuckles fit nicely and protect well, but haven't seen as much action.

Three years of use on the Shore and Whistler and the only signs of wear are where the carbon meets the leather on the palm (due to crashes and usual wear) and at the end of two finger, since they are made of a ventilating mesh.

Weaknesses:    They can be a little hot for climbs, but that isn't a weakness specific to this glove and they really aren't designed for climbing or cruising. These are DH/freeride gloves. Otherwise, none.

Bottom Line:
They are a bit pricier than many gloves, but they are worth it.

Purchased At:   Gift

Submitted by hitek79 a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2009

Strengths:    Protection!

Weaknesses:    Kinda hot

Bottom Line:
No reviews on these so far, I'm surprised.

I have a basic pair of full fingered gloves that are nice, but as my riding advances, so does the terrain I ride on. Big rocks = big falls, and these gloves are great at keeping all my skin where it belongs. On my hands. The knuckle protection is great, but where these really shine over the other gloves I tried on is that big pad in the palm of your hand. It's perfectly placed for where you'll be landing when you go overboard. Overall I'm very happy with these, even though they're a little warm sometimes. Protection comes at a price though.

Favorite Trail:   Scary ones