Dakine Cross X Gloves

2.27/5 (11 Reviews)

A longtime staple of the DAKINE lineup, the Cross X Glove is still as popular as ever thanks to its comfortable fit and high-quality construction.Grippy synthetic suede palm with 2-ply overlay for durability3mm foam palm padding absorbs impact to reduce fatigueHook-and-loop closure ensures a secure fit

Submitted by ddfuji a Downhiller from boulder

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2011

Strengths:    comfy, stylish, fit nicely

Weaknesses:    weak, cheap, useless extras and bad stitching. crappy material. get destroyed to easily

Bottom Line:
really dont like these. have had three pairs. both tear on the first or second crash. my mechanic gloves work better and thats what i have been using. i really wouldnt recommend dakine gloves. go with a better company.

Favorite Trail:   apex

Purchased At:   posion spider, and t

Similar Products Used:   none, cause dakines are the crappiest

Submitted by kingbozo a Cross Country Rider from St Louis Park, MN USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2010

Strengths:    Durable, minimal padding

Weaknesses:    Too warm for hot weather riding-never noticed my hands getting hot before I owned these gloves. Not really a problem-I just reserve these for spring and fall

Bottom Line:
Maybe there was a bad production run of these resulting in the poor durability mentioned in the other reviews, but mine have held up well. All of the silicon grippers on the finger tips and all of the rubber bits are still intact. They are comfortable and I basically don't notice them while I am riding-which in my book is a good sign. That being said, I don't use these on hot days, my hands get too warm-which I do notice. All in all, no problems with this purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt

Similar Products Used:   Numerous gloves from Specialized

Bike Setup:   Two wheels with knobby tires

Submitted by Qanuk a Cross Country Rider from PDX

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Strengths:    Durability, Protection

Weaknesses:    Can become a bit warm in summer months

Bottom Line:
Not really sure about the rest of the reviews here, but overall I've been rather happy with this pair of hand cover. As for the little pieces of rubber serving anything of value... I would agree with some of the other comments - they don't do much. But, as for them falling of almost instantly - after 1 year of quite heavy use...they still look almost new. I not only use these gloves as my Mtn. gloves, but also used them quite often on the road bike this past winter. I've absolutely had my fare share of stinky gloves in the past... and will every once and a while I can catch a whiff off these - it's nothing a quick washing can't take care of. For sure, I've had gloves that had a much more significant stink factor in much shorter time. Speaking of washing... they've taken quite well to regular wash cycles - and that might be one of the reasons that my pair have held up over the past year. The palms are still completely intact - and also still look like new. The limited padding which is in the palm (a good thing IMHO) is still quite intact - with very little to no signs of compression or wear. Easily, the only downfall for me personally with this glove, is that it can become a bit too warm in the hotter summer months. This in itself might add to the stink-factor as described in some of the other reviews. Overall, I would highly recommend this pair of gloves to any cross-country rider. Not sure how they would hold up for other styles of riding, but then again I'm a XC rider - not other. In actuality, I think this glove deserves more on the order of a 4.5 - but between either 4 or 5... they'd be a bit more closer to the 4 side of things rather the 5.

Similar Products Used:   Fox - in all of there forms over 12 years

Bike Setup:   Classic/Antique - Kona Kula

Submitted by Flystagg a Weekend Warrior from Roseville

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2009

Strengths:    they are decently comfy, has a nice nosewipe on the back for forehead sweat.

Weaknesses:    Tore the palm in the first crash, on dirt not rocks or pavement, Cheesey rubber on the back serves no purpose

Bottom Line:
I do tend to rip up gloves fairly quick, but these lasted the shortes of all, can't recommend them at all.

Favorite Trail:   Hawley Grade

Purchased At:   chainlove

Similar Products Used:   Fox tahoe, fox digit, sombrio sultan, royal air, and a few others

Bike Setup:   Mountain Bike

Submitted by hacko a Cross Country Rider from middle earth

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2009

Strengths:    look cool, comfortable

Weaknesses:    plastic bit start to fall off after 6 months of use, i don't know if it's me or the gloves but they stink,butter products in that price range

Bottom Line:
there OK, no stitches opened up on me but plastic bit full off, the only thing that's bad about them is the smelliness, I would look to other ones before buying them.

Favorite Trail:   mt. doom

Purchased At:   ventil

Bike Setup:   haro v4

Submitted by Loos a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap (in price)

Weaknesses:    Fell apart within 2 months.

Bottom Line:
Poor construction, all the cheesy, glued on rubber bits fall of quite quickly, these gloves are not good.

Purchased At:   Chainlove

Submitted by bmarley93 a Downhiller from Maine

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Strengths:    Cool looking

Weaknesses:    they started to rip apart on the fingers within a couple rides!!

Bottom Line:
They suck they started to rip apart on the fingers with a couple rides dont buy this product!

Favorite Trail:   Camden Snow Bowl

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Bike Setup:   Giant ac

Submitted by ilikebeer a Downhiller from Wyoming

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Strengths:    Look cool, supple

Weaknesses:    Fell to crap within first week

Bottom Line:
I bought these gloves this spring, and they began falling apart the first ride. The fingers have worn through within 5 rides!!!! I have always liked Dakine's gear, but these gloves are totally worthless!

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Submitted by Bikeobsessed a Weekend Warrior from St. Albert, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Strengths:    The strength, the neat little palm pads, The signature Dakine snot wipe, it's all great! I've got the brown, green and orange ones.

Weaknesses:    Hmmmm... The little finger grippies fall off after year 2?

Bottom Line:
Great gloves for all uses. I dirt-bike with 'em, bike and build stuff with them and even use them a work gloves, they hold up great! Buy them!

Favorite Trail:   Anything with jumps and no uphill!

Purchased At:   Cranky's

Similar Products Used:   Sombrio gloves, Fly 303, Raceface Bearclaw LTD. ED. Scott DH

Bike Setup:   Just got myself a Giant Reign x2! (Old cannndale chase 2 was what I rode them on)

Submitted by ButchNZ a Downhiller from Christchurch

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2008

Strengths:    Looks rad. Fit me well too.

Weaknesses:    Started falling apart after about 3 months, first the rubberised bits on the fingers starter falling off, then the material on the ends of the fingers started developing holes, then finally the stitching on the palm ripped open. Pretty much rooted after one summers riding.

Smelly too...

Bottom Line:
They were good, until they fell to bits. I think the major flaw is in that the palm is not one piece, but multiple bits of leather stitched together. This combined with below average construction means they weren't gonna last the distance, unfortunately. They're pretty hot looking gloves though, I had the olive greeny ones.

Favorite Trail:   New Zealand