Home | Reviews | Gloves | AXO

4.69/5 (49 Reviews)

AXO Cycling Descend

Submitted by Erich a Cross Country Rider from Lake Forest, Illinois, USA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2006

Strengths:    Fit, Protection, Comfort, Durability

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Best glove ever made. I am so disappointed that they are no longer made. These gloves fit so well and they have held up for so many years. They have a great balance between protection and breathability.

Similar Products Used:   Qranc DH Glove, Pearl Izumi, Descente

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem 2

Submitted by joshie a Cross Country Rider from oakland, ca

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2006

Strengths:    Awesome, Awesome gloves: comfortable, very light padding, breathable, secure. Everything an XCer could want (unless you're in the NW & want waterproof).

Weaknesses:    RIP AXO; is now 661, and their current version sucks big pickle. I think 661 how many thousands of bonus dollars the CEO received after having their production shift towards inerior materials.

Bottom Line:
These gloves are the best. Mine are now ragged after several years of riding & falling in dust, dirt, rocks and rain. Will I keep using them? Hell yeah, even with my fingers poking through, because I can't find a current product to replace them with. Suggestions welcome...

Purchased At:   don't recall

Similar Products Used:   fox sidewinder (knuckle scouring interior), 661 Descend (poor fit, bunchy stitching)

Bike Setup:   not important

Submitted by Matt Merrill a Weekend Warrior from Ellicott City, MD USA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2004

Strengths:    Wow...Where do I begin! I have only seriously been biking for around three years now and this is the only glove I ever have ever used. This is a durable glove

Weaknesses:    Not one single complaint

Bottom Line:
Do not hesitate one second if you are looking for a glove that will not give out on you. This is it! Three years of riding and only a small hole or two to prove it. I have seen other gloves give out on some of my buddies after only a few months of riding. I swear that these are almost indestructable

Favorite Trail:   Avalon

Purchased At:   Race Pace Bikes

Submitted by jonowee a Weekend Warrior from Perth, WA, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2004

Strengths:    - The longest lasting glove I've ever used.
- Tough yet amazingly comfortable and tactile.
- Loved it so much that I continue wearing until I could stick both thumbs and most fingers through the glove, I couldn't find a replacement Descend
...if only I could post a picture of how much it has worn out.

Weaknesses:    - Maybe the price, SGD$60 for a glove (especially back in the day)was a bit on the high side, but the performance is amazing and well worth the cost.

Bottom Line:
The best glove I've ever used, the longest-lasting, the most tactile yet provided more comfort then fatter-padded gloves and the easiest to wear and take off.

I just learnt today that formerly AXO Cycling is now SixSixOne, but I haven't bought a 661 glove yet. That's why the 661 Descend glove bares a similar resemblance and the same name as AXO's version.

So this makes it a part review for the SixSixOne Descend glove as well.

I think it sells for AUD$45-50 now and my Fox Static is not performing as perectly as I hoped. SixSixOne is my new friend.

Similar Products Used:   - Fox Racing Static (2003 model, current glove)
- O'Neal
- Another brand can't remember

Submitted by Genaro a Downhiller from Bellingham

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2003

Strengths:    they last well at least for me they do

Bottom Line:
these glove kick ass, I rode them all this year and crashed hundreds of times. there could be a little more padding but for 16 dollar gloves i can't complaine. the rubber on the fungers rubbed off but there was no use in them anyways. every time the get dirty i through them in the wash and the look brand new like fresh out of the store it amazing. there is only one hole starting to form because the sinthetic leather has worn down to paper thin.

BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY!

Favorite Trail:   whistler

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   fox and many other no name brands

Bike Setup:   SC bullet R freeride

Submitted by Michael Munno a Cross Country Rider from Telluride co

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable, Nice looking

Weaknesses:    Quality

Bottom Line:
I was very happy when I first got these gloves. They fit well and looked nice. Five Weeks later the seems on the glove have broaken open and the palm is starting to rub through. I bought them because they are supposed to be tough gloves. Maybe I got a lemon. I expect a glove to last the whole summer not just 30rides. My fox gloves last over 100uses and only got thrown away because they were to disgusting. Well I guess its back to fox

Favorite Trail:   Deep Creek

Purchased At:   123bikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Fox Mojave

Submitted by Isaac Smith a Cross Country Rider from Marquette, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2003

Strengths:    -comfy
-protective
-grippy
-not to hot or cold
-price

Bottom Line:
these gloves have saved me from having to pull the pebbles out of my hands with my teeth many times and I would recommend them to anyone. If it was possible to give them anything more than a 5 on both value and overall, I would.

Favorite Trail:   dont have one

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Submitted by Thom a Cross Country Rider from Kirkland, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Strengths:    Tough, good fit, not too hot for hot weather, works for most cool weather. Just enough protection. Good price.

Weaknesses:    absolutely none, and I don't hand that out lightly!

Bottom Line:
I bought these on sale, based on good reviews, and massacred hands from brushy xc riding drove me to full-fingers. These are AWESOME. Tough as nails and cooler than I could have hoped for. Yet warm enough, somehow in cool weather to be sufficient. I have been combining them with EVS wrist protectors for ground grabbing ultimate protection. I also do a lot of trail work and often don't get around to switching to work gloves. Lots of abuse and they are still going strong with almost daily use and lots of trips through the washing machine. A fair amount of dexterity, allowing me to use them with my camera. A GOOD product!!! I should buy a pile of them before they replace them with something inferior.

Favorite Trail:   Snoqualmie Ridge

Purchased At:   jensonUSA.com ?

Similar Products Used:   various short fingered gloves combined with bloody fingers

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR stumpjumper with Avid discs, XT hubs and derailluers, other stock stuff, grip shifters

Submitted by matt stuart a Cross Country Rider from Lincoln

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2003

Strengths:    - Rubber protection on knuckles and digits
- Strong stiching that doesn't come apart like fox gloves
- Cheaper than Fox gloves
- Kevlar palm heel pad
- Nice fit, designed for human hands
- Spandex wrist section for comfort
- Strong rubber velcro latch on wrist
- Top quality innner leather
- Cool finger tip grip pads for break lever pinching

Weaknesses:    - The finger tip grip pads are peeling off
- The Kevlar palm heel pads wear on rubber grips
(grips are cheap to replace and I'd rather do that instead of having to dig out a pebble in my palm or have skin grafts.)

Bottom Line:
Don't buy fox gloves. I know that the fox logo and styling is cool and their other products are good but AXO makes a better glove. the Fox gloves don't fit as well as the AXO gloves and the stiching in the Fox gloves comes apart. the AXO gloves are designed better and last longer. The descend is their best glove in my opinion. Buy it! Oh yeah! They also come in bright yellow which you can use to guide airplanes on a tarmack.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Tahoe

Purchased At:   some bike shop that went out of business

Similar Products Used:   fox

Bike Setup:   Ventana Marble peak, Marzocchi, Mavic, XTR, Hayes hydraulic , continental tires, blaa blaa blaa

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Calabasas, CA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2002

Strengths:    comfort, grip, protection

Bottom Line:
These gloves fit perfect, and stretch just at the right places. They offer protection from hitting small branches and scraping against rock faces.

Similar Products Used:   AXO

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X

Submitted by Brendon from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Strengths:    Does what a glove should.

Weaknesses:    A bit warm for summer and a little cold in winter - but you learn to deal with these things.

Bottom Line:
These have been great. Fit well, don't constrict your hand, good protection in a crash. I'll buy them again.

Similar Products Used:   Fox Racing Gloves

Submitted by Steve D a Weekend Warrior from Daly City, CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2002

Strengths:    Great fit, durable, good breathablity, and nice looking. Convenient terry cloth lined along the thumb to wipe away sweat.

Weaknesses:    The wrist strap is a little flimsy, the rubber peels away from the velcro after about 6 months of normal wear and washing. Don't get me wrong, the velcro piece is still fully functional and will still keep your glove secure.

Also, the fingertip rubber grips peel off after a few months. But it doesn't matter since the grips are pretty useless in the first place.

Both of these defects are only cosmetic.

Bottom Line:
These gloves are the bomb! They fit my hands perfectly and are very comfortable and durable. I like these gloves so much that I just bought myself another pair. If you're looking for the perfect glove, these are it!

Favorite Trail:   Not telling