Home | Reviews | Gloves | AXO

AXO Comp Gloves

3.8/5 (10 Reviews)

• Knitted Spandex® finger side panels breathe, while adding flexibility.
  • Knit cuff Velcro® closure to seal out dirt.
  • Synthetic leather palm is machine washable.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Bill Canfield a Cross Country Rider from Dearborn, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2006

Strengths:    Flashy, eye-popping design that looks cool on the trail. The glove has fairly good palm padding with durable stitching. Sometimes they've even substituted for driving gloves on cold mornings gripping leather steering wheels.

Weaknesses:    I've used these gloves for over 4 years. About a year ago the gloves developed holes on the index, middle, and ring fingers. This season new holes have appeared on the palms, right on the thumb seem. They've also developed a stench that conventional laundry machines cannot seem to conquer. But I am talking about a pair of very old gloves here!!!

Bottom Line:
    These gloves have lasted me a very, VERY long time! I really like the design as well as the durability and the level of comfort the palm padding offered, that is, before it deteriorated into nothingness. Seeing that they now look like something that your typical hobo would be sporting and smell even worse, I've had to retire my Beloved AXO Comp gloves. I even tried to replace them with the same model, but have found that they have been discontinued. No worries though, I found a similar offering from AXO, The AXO Ride. I purchased them yesterday from PricePoint.com (I plan on writing a review on them after a few rides); hopefully they're just as good as the COMP. I would defiantly recommend the AXO COMP gloves to anyone looking for a comfortable, unique looking, full-fingered glove. Even though mine are falling apart, you have to keep in mind that my gloves have lasted me quite awhile; they've endured when a lesser glove would have to be retired far earlier!

Purchased At:   Bike Sport

Bike Setup:   Two wheels, some gears, a chain, cables, shocks, handle bars... the works. I thought we were talking about goves here!

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from houston, tx, usa

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2005

Strengths:    The strong,durable material.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    These gloves are great, ive owned them for a year and i can say these are the best things i have ever spent 20 dollars on, it sure went a long way, theyre comfortable and they arent stiff like some gloves. they grip very well and even keep your hands warm in the winter, they even look good too.The next pair of gloves you buy, make them Axo...theyll go a long way.

Purchased At:   Oshmans

Similar Products Used:   Fox Racing Gloves

Bike Setup:   Hoffman Condor frame, with assorted parts.

Submitted by Marcos a Cross Country Rider from Bogotá, Colombia

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2004

Strengths:    Looks good. They were cheap when I bought them

Weaknesses:    These are one of the WORST gloves axo ever made. Stitching seems to self destroy after only 2 rides (no crash needed) and the rest of the glove seems to do the same after a month.

Bottom Line:
    Maybe the worst gloves I've ever used. The reason for the time of use it that I bought 3 pairs because of the low price... what a waste of money. If you still see that crapy gloves....DONT' WASTE YOUR MONEY !!!!

Purchased At:   www.pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   AXO descend gloves... one of the best. (how could be such a difference between 2 products from the same manufacturer???)

Bike Setup:   GT avalanche 2.0 frame, XT disc hubs, mavic and black DT champion spokes, avid mech disc brakes, psylo XC fork, Thomson stems....

Submitted by Matt grandin a Downhiller from New Canaan, CT USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2004

Strengths:    good grip and good padding/ protection on outside.

Weaknesses:    stiching came undone at tip of middle finger

Bottom Line:
    a niice cheap glove that offers good hand protection and grip for awhile. for 20-25 bucks i would try another brand just becasue they ripped without any beefs.

Purchased At:   New Canaan Cyclery

Bike Setup:   '03 Specalized BigHit SPEC

Submitted by tom mahnke a Cross Country Rider from austin texas usa

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2003

Strengths:    comfortable and reasonably priced

Weaknesses:    stitching came undone between thumb and forefinger on second ride. did a 12 hour race a couple of weeks lated and the palm kind of self destructed. no i didnt crash! called AXO to tell them i was not happy with product and never heard back from them.

Bottom Line:
    I am usually easy to please and get good wear out of all my gear but this was one of the worst products that i have ever purchased. I would have been happy with a return call or some semblance of acknowledgement from the manufacturer but it seemed as though they have plenty of other people buying the gloves i guess.

Favorite Trail:   womble

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Fox

Bike Setup:   Steelman Manzanita with marzochi atom 80.

Submitted by Roy a Downhiller from Canada

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2002

Strengths:    Good Padding.

Weaknesses:    They ripped... after about 6 rides, where the thumb meets the wrist. The seam is coming unstitched!

Bottom Line:
    These gloves would have impressed me more if the seam would have stayed stitched for an entire season. But for the price I'm not to bent over it. For 20.00 Can it was a good deal. Maybe it was just a bad sew. Warm, comfy gloves, good padding.

Bike Setup:   Stuff, Jr.T, RF NS DH cranks, Hayes Hydros...

Submitted by Nick a Downhiller from Littleton,CO US

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Strengths:    Great prformance. Strong Constuction.

Bottom Line:
    This product is the best I have ever owned. If they wear out, I will buy a nother pair.