Troy Lee Designs D2 Full Face Helmet

4.52/5 (27 Reviews)

The D2 Bicycle and Action Sports Helmet isThe mostTechnically advanced helmet of its kind. Astonishingly light in weight and incredibly strong,The D2 isThe perfect helmet for BMX, mountain biking, and other action sports like snowboarding. AllThis and looksTo boot,The D2 screams performance and style. * Hi-Flow ventilation system *TLD Orbit visor * Aluminum hardware (composite) * MX-Style padded liner * Removeable roost guard * Aerospace Composite shell design Helmet Si

Submitted by Varaxis

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2012

Strengths:    Snug fit
Graphics
Reputation

Weaknesses:    Heavy
Bulky
Chin bar too close for comfort

Bottom Line:
Wearing a small (22" head) and while it fits around the top of my head perfectly, the lower half, that makes it a full face instead of a typical helmet, feels a bit short and tight. It doesn't come down very low at the back of the head and the chin bar is really close to my chin. I'm finding myself tilting the entire helmet, pulling the chin down and lifting a bit at the ears to try and make some room in the chin bar area to breathe.

Coming off of an Urge Down-O-Matic, I definitely notice the extra weight and bulk of this. I got it on sale for less than the price as the Urge, trying it since it seemed to be really popular, but it just doesn't feel comfortable. I could ride XC trails with the Urge, since it was so cool and comfortable and I could easily drink, climb, hike-a-bike, and hang out without feeling a need to take the helmet off. I see why people opt to carry their helmets rather than wear them.

While the graphics are cool, the shape of the helmet and the visor just doesn't look good on my head with my goggles. I used to just just accept ugly helmets and wear them just for protection factor, but now that I've found a few helmets that truly look good, I don't even bother with ones that look like crap, even if I could save a lot of money on them. Returned the TLD D2 and got myself another Urge and I'm happy again.

Submitted by norcorider95 a Downhiller from London, England

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2012

Strengths:    They look brilliant, are super comfortable for long days, work well with neckbraces, theyre suprisingly light, not too fat so quite a slim design, a lot around so easy to find spares for, and it comes with the Troy Lee name!

Weaknesses:    The fit is quite snug, as size guides are a little off, but no one wants a loose helmet and unfortunately the TLD price tag, as troy lee stuff doesnt come cheap. The History black made it fairly hard to find goggles that looked cool and not boring, but oakley sorted that out! and finally the little dust guard at the chin means it cant rest on the bars when not riding.

Bottom Line:
This is a really good helmet overall, its a really comfortable simple helmet but passes all the major safety testing meaning they can be used in races and are proven to be safe, the troy lee paintwork is always insane and never fails to impress ( I have the D2 history).
Mines really comfy however quite snug, anyone can use them and I'd recommend it over a Carbon helmet as it is just as light and carbon snaps and flakes where as the composite used in the D2 is just as light and doesn't flake when sliding along the floor or something, they are really easy to find replacement lining for and spare peaks incase you faceplant, gives a real sense of security but yet doesnt look fat like a moto helmet.
It's a brilliant helmet for any Downhiller or Freerider who wants the full face protection, if your willing to spend the extra money then maybe look into a carbon D2 or a D3 as they are the best helmets money can buy!

Favorite Trail:   4-2-3 Aston Hill

Purchased At:   Evans cycles

Similar Products Used:   Sixsixone Evo Carbon, Troy Lee D3 (tested), Specialized Deviant Carbon

Bike Setup:   Specialized Big Hit FSR 2009 (everything upgraded except front wheel and frame)

Submitted by charvey9 a Weekend Warrior from Beaverton, OR

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort, removable/washable pads, protection. Style!

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
This helmet is ideal and worth every penny. Do not compromise when it comes to protecting your melon! I tried on a few "entry level" helmets when I went to purchase some new MTB skull insurance, but the decision to spend the extra coin was easy when I slid on the D2. It helps that I found a great closeout price that was $100 off retail for a 2009, but you should be able to find a similar price by shopping around now that the 2010 designs are out. Most importantly though, it performs. I took a good digger off a jump on my first day out with the helmet, went over the bars and landed on the left side of my head. Didn't feel a thing! I bounced right up and kept going. Similar crashes in my dirt jump helmet have rung my bell pretty good. I can not see myself needing to buy another helmet, until this one wears out and I buck up for a D3 carbon!

Favorite Trail:   Black Rock

Purchased At:   Universalcycles.com

Bike Setup:   09 Kona Dawg Supreme AM/DH.

Submitted by Reno a Weekend Warrior from Reno NV

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort

Weaknesses:    Cheap plastic tabs and snaps. Customer service is worthless

Bottom Line:
I had this helmet for 2 monthes. It fell from my hand to the dirt once. And 3 plastic snaps that hold the liner broke off, as well as the plastic that held the mouthpiece.
I took it back to the dealer they said $60 to fix. I called the company and they told me we only have one engineer that can fix these and we need to cover the expense of his time. So now I have to straighten the liner everytime I take it off and on. I need to buy another helmet. I have never had a helmet fail, I buy new ones because they are old and the foam is hard. UNTIL NOW.

Similar Products Used:   Bell, Shoei, HJC,

Bike Setup:   KTM 525

Submitted by Drftn280zxt a Downhiller from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2009

Strengths:    D2 Phobia Carbon. Excellent build quality, plush padding, cool graphics, light weight and awesome anatomical fit.

Weaknesses:    Could use an a better chin strap connector. The double D-ring latch system is sometimes a bit of a nuisance to work with. The ventilation is not the best. If you ride in Vegas during the summer, even in the high mountains your head gets pretty warm in hurry with this helmet on.

Bottom Line:
If you want a bad ass full-face helmet that can meet and exceed all non DOT certifications and you ride where it is regularly under 85 degrees you can't find a better helmet for the money. Easily removable washable liner that wicks away sweat like a champ is a feature that comes as quite a convenience especially when the salt really starts to build up. All the hype about TLD helmets is not just about the awesome graphics. Build quality is top notch and the integrated safety features and engineering are worth your coin. Beats a trip to the hospital and you look like a rock star sporting it.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Charleston Shady Hallow

Purchased At:   All Mountain Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   None. This my first full face helmet. My friends all wear TLD helmets so it came highly recommended that I go TLD.

Bike Setup:   KHS AM1000
SRAM X7 drivetrain
Avid Juicy 7 brakes with 203mm rotors
Push shock
Truvativ Holzfeller Stem
Azonic Outlaw Wheels (black)
Maxxis Minion tires

Submitted by mtnbikerx a Downhiller from Maine

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2008

Strengths:    Appearance, weight, fit

Bottom Line:
Used the 661 Bravo for 2 seasons. Protected well but the fit was a little off. My head is oblong not round,i.e., longer front to back than ear to ear. The 661 would bind on my forehead when first installed then after a while it was not noticable.

The 2008 D2 instantly fit like a hat and is incredibly light. No binding front to back. My head measures 7 7/8th inches around and the XL fits perfectly. It also has screening over the vents. I gotta think this will keep the mud and vegetation off my head. Not a big deal but hey, commenting on the benefits. Very happy I stepped up to the D2.

If you can find this helmet for $200 it's a helluva deal; therefore 5 chilis for me. If you pay full retail? Hmmm, you don't have internet?

Similar Products Used:   Six Six one Bravo

Bike Setup:   SOCOM, RockShox Team, Codes, Michelin 16s

Submitted by Erik from NJ

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Strengths:    dont know yet

Weaknesses:    made in china, over priced. had to wait for a clearence sale.

Bottom Line:
I pulled apart the helmet in under 2 miinutes with my bare hands. The worst construction Ive ever seen. Two spots with hot glue were all that held in the foam. Having worn only REAL MX helmets for years makes this pretty TLD D2 nothing but fancy wrapping. What a joke.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Oneal & Giro: best lids ever.

Bike Setup:   TMX & Moment

Submitted by Curt MacNeill a Downhiller from Jackson Hole, Wy

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2006

Strengths:    Fit, Comfort, Protects your noggin better than others, paintjob

Weaknesses:    Some could say the price, but $300 bills is less than a hospital visit for head injuries.

Bottom Line:
There are not too many dh products out there that I can't stop talking about. Everything seems to break and doesn't excite me much. But my Troy Lee is different. Definitely the most comfortable and best looking helmets I have seen. Also think they are the strongest helmets out there for DH mtb. Buy one, your only dissapointment will be the first time you crash on your head and scratch the seet paint job or snap your visor in 5 pieces. At least it's not your head though.......

Favorite Trail:   A-line

Similar Products Used:   Six Six One and Giro full faces

Bike Setup:   Demo 8

Submitted by dan madularu a Downhiller from ottawa, ON, canada

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2006

Strengths:    awesome shape and paintjob! looks cool.

Weaknesses:    none really

Bottom Line:
best helmet i've ever had/tried on.

Favorite Trail:   one i dont have to pedal much on

Similar Products Used:   bell bellistic

Bike Setup:   04 manik, .243 racing, raceface, MRP, atomlab

Submitted by Lex a Weekend Warrior from Santa Clarita

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2006

Strengths:    fit, comfort, looks, weight

Weaknesses:    some may say price, but you can't put a price on your melon or keepin' that face lookin' purdy. besides, it can be had at pricepoint for $200

Bottom Line:
it looks good, and will surely keep that face lookin pretty, not to mention, keep those brains from leakin out your nose. great fit, breathes well, does my dishes, and inspires confidence... wether on the dirt, or hell, even a date.

Similar Products Used:   bell bellistic... uncomfortable fit and questionable quality.

Bike Setup:   Transition dirtbag

Submitted by Ben a Racer from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2005

Strengths:    Awesome shape, graphics, flow through venting, removable pads, light weight. easy to see out off, doesnt give that "fat face look"

Weaknesses:    Eveyone has them! Quite expensive

Bottom Line:
This helmet kicks a**!! If you are looking for a new helmet seriously consider this helmet unless your just starting out, this is more for experienced riders

Favorite Trail:   a good bmx track

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Fly helmet

Bike Setup:   Staats OX platinum Pro XL

Submitted by tony a Racer from Cali

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2005

Strengths:    -design
-strength
-aerodynamics
-safety

Weaknesses:    -price

Bottom Line:
the price is outrageous but worth every penny. safety is one of the most important variables you need to consider when buying a new helmet and this helmet delivers it. dont buy it if you ride once a month but, if you are a racer or freerider who rides everyday BUY IT IF YOU CAN!

Favorite Trail:   White Mountain