Specialized Deviant Full Face Helmet

3.93/5 (29 Reviews)

This highly ventilated full-face helmet is as breezy as many XC helmets, and is the lightest in its class - built for riders looking for full-face protection with full ventilation. It’s ideal for freeride, aggressive XC, or in any conditions that benefit from the extended coverage of a full face design. This one made with lightweight fiberglass. Available in lighter carbon fiber version.

• PRO Fit 2 retention system

Submitted by shaneg a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2010

Bottom Line:
If its good enough for Darren Berrecloth its good enough for me.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRqeXNSXr4k&feature=related

Helmets are made to withstand crashes and protect your head, polystyrene is made to shatter, you arent supposed to use helmets again after a crash... and never drop a helmet, i cant stand people that throw them around.

Favorite Trail:   Kachoong

Submitted by badbadleroybrown a Downhiller from Escondido, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight & very well ventilated.

Weaknesses:    One of the least comfortable helmets I've ever worn & NOT a true full face helmet at all. Definately more protective than most XC lids but this thing is really more of a heavy duty XC helmet than a DH or FR helmet. Cheaply contstructed and simply not worth the money... for $90-120 I'd rather get a Giro Xen and take my chances with the face protection. The padding is a joke, the EPS liner isnt well attached to the shell and doesnt seem nearly as thick as other full face helmets.

Bottom Line:
If you ride road or XC & All Mtn and want a bit more protection than you would get from a standard XC helmet or if you like to wear goggles when you ride, this is a good choice... assuming the one you get isnt as horribly uncomfortable as the one I got was. If you like to hit big lines and technical terrain and there is a real likliehood that your head will be hitting the turf at speed, dont even consider this thing. I like to ride with goggles since my contacts can get blown out by wind at speed and bought this mostly for pedaling around and riding up to things I want to bomb down, hoping I could avoid carrying two helmets as I always had. As I said, it turned out to be the most uncomfortable helmet I have ever even tried on and was just flimsy as far as full-face helmets go. In the end, I tossed this sucker in the garbage and went back to riding up in an XC lid (Giro Xen) and down in a full face. I like the idea of this helmet but the execution is flat out piss poor.

And to the douche pretending to be a helmet expert talking about 'ill-informed fools'... all I can say is he must work for Spesh cause I'm about as well informed as they come and this helmet is not worth half what it costs. The shell should flex but not as much as this helmet does, the 'padding' that he refers to as meaningless in protection is the basic component of fit, which is the most important component of a helmet. The actual liner is flimsy and I suspect it would rotate within the shell to the point of coming loose were you to take a serious crash... All in all, it's nothing more than a glorified XC helmet.

Favorite Trail:   The one's that go downhill

Similar Products Used:   Giro Remedy, Giro Remedy CF, Giro Xen, TLD D2, TLD SE, TLD SE2, THE ONE, THE F1, Fox Rampage, Fox V3

Bike Setup:   Several...

Submitted by jhuffman a Downhiller from Chardon Ohio

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2009

Strengths:    Well ventilated, pads remove easily for cleaning, looks killer

Weaknesses:    The forehead pad will not stay in place, yeah it's easy to remove, but impossible to keep in place, very poorly constructed inner foam/outer shell mating. After a couple of good crashes, the inner foam came detached and eventually came all the way out. It was poorly put together, with gaps everywhere between the inner foam/outer shell. Difficult to get on and off (yes I bought the correct size for my head)

Bottom Line:
It would be a pretty good helmet for two thirds or maybe half the price, I was dissapointed by the quality of craftsmanship. But It did do it's job which was to keep my skull in tact. The outer shell is good and strong, I would like to see a better constructed liner and forehead pad.

Favorite Trail:   Cowboy Up /Keystone Co.

Purchased At:   Specialized

Similar Products Used:   661 Evolution

Bike Setup:   specialized SX trail

Submitted by tnevaneb a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2009

Strengths:    Breathes great, pads are easy to wash and keep clean, pads dont block ventilation holes, you can hear fine with it on and locate sounds well

Weaknesses:    You have to put your cell phone on speaker phone to talk because your ears are covered.
The velcro that holds the pads in has weak glue so you need to keep sticking them back until you just put some stronger glue on them.

Bottom Line:
I want more protection for my head. I value my noggin and want to keep it like it is. This helmet breathes great and is easy to remove the pads for washing after every ride. It breathes so well that I even use it on my road bike.

If you have ever had a bad fall, then you should get a full face because a simple faceplant can bust you up. This helmet has the same amount of venting as a regular helmet, but protects alot more.

Favorite Trail:   Potapsco

Purchased At:   Specialized.com

Similar Products Used:   First full face helmet

Bike Setup:   I use it for all my bikes, Road, XC, Freeride

Submitted by nadinno78 a Weekend Warrior from Longmont

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Strengths:    Light, well ventilated.

Weaknesses:    Foam separates from the shell.

Bottom Line:
I like the fact that it is light and well ventilated. I don't feel that I am compromising safety in any way. After two small wrecks the styro-foam is separating form the shell.

Response to poster below: Some one was complaining about the chin guard being to large (or jutting out to far). I find that it is just fine. I have had other helmets where the chin guard was so close to my face that I was worried that if I did hit anything the guard would transfer any impact straight to my jaw. Not so with this helmet. I landed on my face twice and the guard was positioned perfectly to deflect the impact both times.

Favorite Trail:   Boulevard

Purchased At:   peloton

Similar Products Used:   661

Bike Setup:   IH 6 point

Submitted by Northwind a Cross Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2009

Strengths:    I've not owned this helmet so I can't give a review- I just want to pick up some of the ill-informed comments from some of the other reviews, from people who fundamentally don't understand how these things work.

"Unfortunatly this is not a very strong helmet. with just my hands i can flex this helmet"

The shell is supposed to flex. If you google "dwell time" and "snell" you'll find a number of articles explaining why. The job of the helmet is to stop your head slowly, and a flexible shell allows this. A rigid shell increases the deceleration forces infliced on your brain, which is one of the major causes of brain injury in a crash.

"I feel, like another reviewer that this helmet lacks imapact cushioning. There is only a thin washable liner btw your head and very hard styrofoam. I just bought a new 07 Giro Remedy.. It's a sight bit heavier but has much more soft foam protection."

The soft foam is NOT protection at all, it's for comfort and fit. The impact protection in the soft foam is basically irrelevant. The polystyrene is the impact protection. How can anyone describe styrofoam as "very hard"?

"This helmet WILL NOT protect you in a crash trust me. I hate bashing bike companies but I feel the need at this time. These is no padding int he helmet and if you do hit something at a DH or Free ride speed you will get hurt bad. "

See above comment about the foam. These 2 people just simply have no idea how a helmet works.

"The reason I say it doesn't protect adequately is that the chin bar sticks out so far that it's structurally compromised"

Just simply nonsense tbh.

Bottom Line:
Don't listen to everything you hear on the internet, an awful lot of these reviews are posted by ill-informed fools. Well meaning maybe, but still fools.

Favorite Trail:   Pie Run

Submitted by Reillyj a Cross Country Rider from United States

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2009

Strengths:    Light, comfortable, well vented, and good looking, safe.

Weaknesses:    Adhesion of the trim peices and foam is pretty pinner.

Bottom Line:
I feel its my duty to post a positive review becuase i am quite happy with the helmet despite its small downfalls. I have crashed twice with this hemet hitting my head both times and it has faired pretty damn well. Its very comfortable (especially with a bandana) and its not too hot in summer. I would recommend this for a all mountain rider who wants more protection than average. The little trim peices arent held in so well but lightness seems paramount here so im ok with that. My friend went down face first in a rock garden at about 25mph with his deviant and he came away unscathed so they appear to offer good protection despite their light duty nature. If I was hucking off 15 foot ledges and going 50 down tree lined single track I wouldnt mess around with needledick bicycle helmets, I would purchase a dirtbike helmet, but to me this is plenty adequate for agressive all mountain riding.

Favorite Trail:   Hell

Bike Setup:   Enduro SL

Submitted by davec113 a Downhiller from Colorado

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2009

Strengths:    Ventilation

Weaknesses:    Fit system for xc helmets doesn't work in a ff, foam seperates from shell, materials are cheap and don't last. Basically, it's a bunch of junk poorly glued together. Jaw protection isn't good.

Bottom Line:
POS. False sense of security. Good ventilation. Good for an xc rider who needs some xtra protection. Bad for a dh rider who depends on this helmet to protect him from harder hits.

The reason I say it doesn't protect adequately is that the chin bar sticks out so far that it's structurally compromised. Better for breathing room/ventilation, not as good for protecting your face.

Favorite Trail:   dirt ones

Purchased At:   Fix Bikes

Similar Products Used:   TLD D2, Bell Bellistic

Bike Setup:   Uzzi VPX, Trek Remedy

Submitted by Clutchman83 a Downhiller from Ellensburg, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2009

Strengths:    Very light and cools extremely well. Take out the cheek pads and you could use it on XC rides if you want.

Weaknesses:    Protection is a little questionable, the padding is very thin so even a small impact results in a decent bruise.

Bottom Line:
It's good for going fast downhill, just don't huck any Bender gaps with it. I found it's protection to be adequate for 99% of the riding I do but I still have a bruise on my forehead after I finally used it up the other day. It definitely isn't a cushy helmet.

3 Chilis because it's overpriced IMO, just like everything else Spesh sells.

4 Chilis because it's a great helmet, but not the best out there.

Favorite Trail:   too many good ones

Purchased At:   Recycle Bikes (LBS)

Similar Products Used:   Giro Remedy, SixSixOne Full Bravo

Bike Setup:   05 Norco Shore
05 Giant Reign

Submitted by Love4FLOW a Downhiller from Colorado Springs Colorado

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2008

Strengths:    Its got the looks, BREATHABILITY and the lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Not confidence inspriring by comparison to other sturdier helmets. The inner foam core has separated from the casing multiple times.

Bottom Line:
I have loved this helmet and it has been an awesome helmet to ride but it has not lasted. I love the lightweight breathability and the way it looks but if you are seeking a helmet you can ride for years on look to other manufacturers but buy specialized bikes

Purchased At:   Criterium

Similar Products Used:   Giro Remedy, TLDs

Bike Setup:   SX Trail II

Submitted by d0ug a Weekend Warrior from Atascadero, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2008

Strengths:    i really like the vents(thats why i bought it) and the rear adjustment is pretty sweet.

Weaknesses:    sometimes it sucks with braces on the face pad things.

Bottom Line:
this is an awesome helmut i would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   flow to shotgun in mammoth

Purchased At:   sunstorm cyclery

Similar Products Used:   none really.

Bike Setup:   06 haro extreme x6 with maxxis mobsters.

Submitted by pyrobob a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, well vented, easily adjustable

Bottom Line:
First ride out it took a solid hit, but the head was fine & the helmet also.

Purchased At:   Bent's

Similar Products Used:   First full face

Bike Setup:   King Fisher

Submitted by Dale a Weekend Warrior from Trona, CA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2007

Strengths:    light, well ventilated, fairly comfortable, works well with either goggles or glasses, well padded, distinctive graphics (I don't care about looks, but it makes it easier for people to see when you're riding where there's other vehicles), shell flexes some, but not a lot (flexing helps it absorb impacts better)

Weaknesses:    graphics are kinda poorly applied, but that's pretty immaterial to me. that's about it

Bottom Line:
This is my first full face bicycle helmet I've ever used (have used a full face motorcycle helmet, but that's in a whole nother league), and I love it. Never had a serious wreck wearing it (only time I even used it I wasn't quick enough unclipping and fell over, bashing my head on a tree and several branches as I went down. Didn't even scratch the helmet though). It's comfortable to wear even on hot days (important since I live in the Mojave Desert), and stays secure even on the roughest trails (conventional helmets always slide around). The mouth gaurd is padded, so when you face plant, you don't split your face open on it (yes, I've had that happen with a motorcycle helmet) I mostly bought this helmet for it's fit though, not any of it's other features. I have an oddly shapped head (long and narrow) and this is one of the best fitting helmets I've ever owned. Even the $300 motorcycle helmet I have doesn't fit this well. It fits abnormally tight to the side of my face, and unlike the Giro full-face I tried on before buying this one, fit well front-to-back to. Nothing Specialized makes is cheap and they don't have deals, but it's worth the price.

Favorite Trail:   anything that's fast and/or challenging

Purchased At:   TJ Frisbee's