SixSixOne Full Bravo Full Face Helmet

4.42/5 (33 Reviews)

Hand layered, fiberglass painted outer shell with clear coated graphics, comfortable open-cell foam.

Submitted by capnkmtb a Downhiller from Voorheesville

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2008

Strengths:    comfortable

Weaknesses:    not applicable

Bottom Line:
Its perfect, and worth it for your protection. Only get six six one, thats where the quality is because protection is all they do!

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   a friend

Similar Products Used:   six six one full comp (perfect cheap and nice)

Bike Setup:   MC Rumble

Submitted by Joe a Downhiller from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2008

Strengths:    Ventilation

Weaknesses:    Doesn't fit the shape of my head. Never had a problem with road helmets, this one leaves a gap on the top-back of my head and the hard foam front is uncomfortable against my forehead.

Bottom Line:
Decent

Purchased At:   second hand

Submitted by dave a Weekend Warrior from st.albans, herts, uk

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2007

Strengths:    quite light, awsome graphics with matt black and flame outlines.

Weaknesses:    strap rubs on throat, but i got used to it

Bottom Line:
great helmet, i got it cheap for £40 instead of £100. mind you its the 2005, its a great helmet and it has boosted my confidence alot. i wont be scared to do most jumps now. highly recommended specially with the sick graphics.

Favorite Trail:   chicksands

Purchased At:   chain reaction

Bike Setup:   specialized hardrock sport 2007, rock shox tora 302, husslefelt downhill bars, kore 1 stem, v8 pedals

Submitted by Jerome a Weekend Warrior from Mudeford

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent looking helmet, good venting even in hot conditions and will fit a pair of goggles (i'm using a pair of ski goggles at the moment) is a snug fit and the buckele stays put. You can still hear people talking.

Weaknesses:    bucke can push against your adams apple which can be a bit annoying, and you can't put earphones in underneath.

Bottom Line:
A good helmet which will definetly save your head in a big crash. Top notch - get one as it will seriously boost your confidence.

Favorite Trail:   haldon

Bike Setup:   gt chucker 2.0 - singlespeed

Submitted by Mike Salkewicz a Weekend Warrior from Hopatcog, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006

Strengths:    Fitment is great, internals come apart relatively easy for drying and cleaning. Very comfortable, and doesn't hinder breathing nearly as much as you'd expect. Matte black finish is not as big a heat concern as I originally imagined, though I don't do much open-air riding - mostly dense forest.

Weaknesses:    Neck strap is a little funny to work with. I usually end up sweating a lot, and the pads take a long long time to dry out completely.

Bottom Line:
Just a great helmet overall. For $90 there is no way to go wrong, but even at retail, $140 is nothing compared to the agony of a busted jaw. The styling is so very nice, but it functions and fits so well that I look forward to strapping my helmet on, no matter how sissy the trail might be. Couldn't ask for much better.

Favorite Trail:   Allamuchy

Purchased At:   BlueSkyCycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Fox full face

Bike Setup:   Trek 820

Submitted by Stephen a Weekend Warrior from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2006

Strengths:    Review **Pro Carbon Fibre Bravo FF**
Lightweight, easy on the neck after a day riding. Comfortable, airy with good accoustics and minimal packing of internal pads after several rides. Easy opening and closing "fastex" type chin buckle even with gloves on.
The higher-cut back profile of the helmet makes riding with a pack or hydration pack no problem even when your tilting your head up. Good front ventilation on chin protector. PLenty of room for goggle types. I have tried Smith and Oakley.

Weaknesses:    No hook for goggle band?!!Price if not on sale.!!

Bottom Line:
Lightweight alternative and easy on the neck. Reasonable peripheral angles. Comes with a helmet bag!

Favorite Trail:   Any shuttle nirvana

Purchased At:   Torpedo7.com

Similar Products Used:   Pryme US, 661 Strike

Bike Setup:   Specialised Enduro Comp

Submitted by Jose Rodriguez a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight, durability, comfort, cool factor, and it works. Sturdy enough to be a motorcycle helmet (not intended to be one but it sure looks the part)

Weaknesses:    The double ring strap takes a while to get used to it. If you ride motorcycles then you will be familiar with the system.

Bottom Line:
I got the carbon version and I love its light weight. For a helmet that protects your mug, chin, skull and back of the head its feather weight makes you forget your head is encased in carbon fiber. Twice I have crashed on the downhill runs at Winter Park, CO, and landed on my head first then proceeded to tumble arse over head until a final stop. On both cases I walked away without a single bruise anywhere above the neck. The helmet only scratched on the surface and the visor held on place thanks to the good metal screws that hold it yet allow the visor to move up and down. It ventilates well but it is not comparable to an open face, poked full of holes XC foam helmet; they are two different tools for two different jobs and it is not fair to compare one to the other. I use my Bravo for night rides and the vent holes at the top allow for a head lamp to fit in place. On cold Colorado winter nights, the Bravo keeps my head warm and has saved my teeth more than once. The only complaint: the double ring strap is hard to deal with when you have gloves. It is bomb proof when closed and adjusted but it takes a few tries to get the strap on and off until you figure out how they work. This is an excellent full face helmet, works as advertised and my unscathed skull and face is proof; it can be used to ride trails but it will get your noggin sweaty on hot summer rides under the sun. Buy it if you value your skull and ugly mug.

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek

Purchased At:   Mojo Wheels

Similar Products Used:   First full face helmet. Bought after a night ride where I ate dirt and almost lost my front teeth.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Gemini, Manitou Sherman, 6.5" travel front and back, rigged as a trail bike with Raceface 3-ring cranks and 2.5 Weirwolf tires. I'm heavy but I'm slow until I come to the downhill part of the ride.

Submitted by James. from hertfordshire, UK

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2006

Strengths:    a strong, breathable helmet that looks and feels good. Also very cheap

Weaknesses:    could be a little lighter, but for £80 i'm not going to complain.

Bottom Line:
This was a great buy for me, got it cheap and it has lasted a long time. It is cheap, breathable and has good graphics.
It's kept my head nice.

Purchased At:   the 2004 bike show

Bike Setup:   06 avent boost and manitou 4-way shock, 05 manitou sherman flicks, front hayes hfx9, back hope m4, mavic 729's on hope xc's, truvativ hussefelts, ect.

Submitted by bart wyspa_wwa a Downhiller from warsaw/poland

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2005

Strengths:    strength, comfort, good face vent, nicely fly protected, good fit, good neck protection with proper safety jacket

Weaknesses:    very (EXTREMLY) CHIP foam inner part. looks like baby helmet from chip supermarket, after few crashes with head leanding is moving a liitle, week head vent (face vent is OK)

Bottom Line:
After several landing "on the rocks" I'm staying with 661 full bravo.
It saved my head. Outside is very strong (scratched looks even better:).
Inside (if you have to take it out) looks very chip, and is mounted with glue.
I wish 661 resolve this. In my extremly used one, it's moving a little, but I don't notice ithis when riding.
Head part vent is week, face vent is ok.
Use good safety jacket - it could save your neck with full face. I use Ufoplast Scorpion Sjacket (motocross version).

Favorite Trail:   szczyrk so far

Purchased At:   120

Bike Setup:   kona stinki 2003, dj 2003, UFOplast scorpion saftety jacket (motocross version)

Submitted by beau a Downhiller from Park City, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2005

Strengths:    Great quality helmet for a lot cheaper than some helmets out there.

Bottom Line:
good helmet for the price.

Favorite Trail:   NCS

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   TLD d2 composite

Submitted by Rob a Downhiller from Somerset, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2005

Strengths:    comfortable, light, looks good, solidly built

Bottom Line:
found this helmet for $60 and couldn't pass it up. I'm glad I didn't. definitely a good investment. not quite as cushy inside as some others, but still very comfortable.

Purchased At:   flea market

Bike Setup:   Demo9 pro

Submitted by David Parenteau a Weekend Warrior from Nanaimo,BC,Canada

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2005

Strengths:    Light and comfortable.Easily adjustable visor and it looks sharp in the graphite colour scheme.Good visability as well.It also came with a helmet bag.

Weaknesses:    Hot,just like any other FF helmet.The strap is difficult to do up with full fingered gloves on.

Bottom Line:
After several rides the helmet really began to conform to the shape of my head and it's become really comfortable.Initially it was uncomfortable around the chin area but that problem is gone now.The strap can be awkward to use with the double D ring setup if you wear full fingered gloves but it's a more reliable system than the plastic snaps that some helmets have.With the double D ring system,you know that the helmet isn't coming off.Although my helmet has yet to save my head in a big crash,it does have a number of marks on it from unplanned contact with the odd stump or log.Hopefully I won't ever have to put it to a real test.
Great helmet for the DH'er or Freerider but way more helmet than is neccessary for the XC rider.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Washington

Purchased At:   Bikeroom.com

Similar Products Used:   Garneau FF

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky,7" Jr.T's,Hayes Hydro's,and all the usual other stuff.

Submitted by Matt a Downhiller from VT

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2005

Strengths:    Excellent periphial vision, fits sunglasses as well as goggles, breathes well for a full face, removable washable liner, looks cool.

Weaknesses:    none really, maybe a little heavy

Bottom Line:
I've tried a few full face helmets in the past and the 661 Full Bravo works just the way a full face should.

Similar Products Used:   Azonic AZX

Bike Setup:   05 Trek Session 77

Submitted by vic pasieka a Downhiller from alt.canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2005

Strengths:    it is a well built,sturdy and it is rock solid it took a 10ft drop and the paint didnt chip...and my head didnt creack....

Weaknesses:    as u now it gets realy hot in a full face but thank god that 661 changed the coler this year so it dosnt get as hot as last years modle..

Bottom Line:
get this if u want good protection and arnt a fread to speend the mony...

Favorite Trail:   wegwood...if its still there

Purchased At:   red bike

Similar Products Used:   all of 661s full face helmets

Bike Setup:   03 iron horse sgs pro dh..

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Valdosta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Strengths:    protective, comfortable, removable linter, looks great, well vented

Weaknesses:    Paint job seems like it might chip or scratch easy(i have the 05 matte black w/ red flames)

Bottom Line:
I have to say that I've only tested it out a few times, and I don't downhill, I ride singletrack. I went with the full face mainly for two reasons: 1) i'm new and not the best, and my face is ugly enough as it is 2)To keep those freaking spider webs off my face and out of my hair. I was expecting this helmet to be unbearibly hot, expecially living in south ga. Its unbelievably cool. Its pretty well ventalated, especially at speeds. Its very comfy too. It does run about a half size large, and the comp runs a little smaller than that. I havn't even noticed any spider webs, so i don't know if its doing a good job like i hoped it would, or if the spiders died. As for durability, i cna't say that i've given it a good test, but it seems like it could take some hard beatings. I have to reccomend this helmet to you if you're looking at an affordable full face helmet.

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com