RockGardn Pearl Full Face Helmet

Rethink what full face protection can be withThe Pearl! Its washable liner and cheek pads will cradle your head comfortably.The hand-laminated fiberglass shell, with 14 vents, will provide ample air flow and protection for whateverTheTrailThrows at you. Hand-laminated fiberglass shell 14 vents Fully removable, washable liner and cheek pads A subtle, pearlescent lacquered finish Comes with drawstring helmet bag Independent lab certifiedTo CPSC and CE EM1078 In-house labTes

Submitted by LT4mula a All Mountain Rider from San Luis Obispo CA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2012

Strengths:    Beautiful, this is one of the only helmets out there that is not covered in "art." The build quality seems superior to others with aluminum visor screws instead of plastic, and overall craftsmanship. This is also one of the only helmets that I tried on that felt like it would not meet my face during an impact. The rockgardn pearl also seemed to have the most vents of all the other helmets out there, but maybe I just could not see them in all the "art" on the other skull savers.

Weaknesses:    This may be a weakness to others but is a very positive side effect for me... the black, version is blue. You don't really notice it until you are in the sun but there is a tong of pearl in the paint, which looks amazing, but it is a dark, dark, blue pearl. Which is the exact color of my Nomad... so I love it. Others may not.

Bottom Line:
If you want a nice full face helmet, without a bunch of crap on it, that fits well and is reasonably priced, this is it... if it fits right. (everyone has a different melon.)

Favorite Trail:   Morning Glory

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   First full face owned, demoed a fox, looked closely at all others.

Bike Setup:   Nomad2

Submitted by I'm not very clever a Weekend Warrior from Corona ca USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2012

Strengths:    Great helmet, clean, light weight (for a full face), awsome fit.

Weaknesses:    almost to good looking to use

Bottom Line:
This is a great helmet, like most of my reviews I say "I ride alot of single track and love getting air..." I think that sums up my riding style. I'm not that great of a rider so there is no real reason for a full face but it gives me piece of mind while riding. The removable interior is great, keeps the stink down, just be carefull while pulling it out. This helmet is worth every penny. Very comfortable, keeps your head cool, and is pretty meek, as in no giant TLD!!! on your head. IF you are looking for a clean fill face helmet buy it. I got medium and my head measured at the bottom end of the medium size scale, and fits really well. Sizing is spot on. But if you can try one on do it.

Favorite Trail:   Block @ skyline

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Bell full face

Bike Setup:   02 Stumpy fsr- rock shox tora 302 u-turn, fox float, everything else is pretty stock. Picture a poor mans all mountain bike.

Submitted by Haines Mountain Biker a Cross Country Rider from haines, AK, US

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2011

Strengths:    As a XC rider I'm new to full face but doing some freeride and resort riding I've cracked up two helmets this year so I figured I should revise my headgear. Every aspect of this helmet is well thought out. I am an engineer so I recognize quality for a living. This is the real deal without some flamer-look at me-I'm a punk on drugs-look.

Weaknesses:    Careful taking it off. Big metal buckle must be fully pulled away from your face or it'll tear into your flesh.

Bottom Line:
This helmet rocks the kazbar without making you look like a rolling advertisement.

Favorite Trail:   paradise royale

Purchased At:   universal cycles

Similar Products Used:   661 spelled out in letters big enough to see from space. Hello - that is not cool

Bike Setup:   FSR Comp 29, supernatural kindshock, Roval wheelset, XT brakes,

Submitted by Rabbid-mongoose a Racer from Oceanside, Ca USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2011

Strengths:    Great visor lock design, breathes awesome, cool pearl paint, simple design, light weight.

Weaknesses:    Couldn't remove the whole liner without thinking I was gonna damage front portion below the visor.

Bottom Line:
I recently bought a helmet from Rockgardn, the Pearl. The first thing that came to my mind when I picked it up was it's light. It also has TONS of vents, 14 to be exact. It has pearly white finish and nicely anodized gold hardware for the visor. The only other option is Pearl Black. Being that this is SoCal and I ride with a black helmet already, I opted for white so that it wouldn't be extra hot from sunlight. My first impression riding was at Fontana during a race. Wow, this helmet can flow some serious air! I never noticed the inside getting hot, those 14 vents really did their job. I got mine in medium. It’s comfortable, not too tight, not to loose and light. One feature I especially liked was the visor. Rockgardn really thought the design through. Helmets traditionally have the visor locking screw under the visor. That’s a tight spot to get your hand into and it's usually pretty annoying to tighten the screw. The Pearl has the lock-down screws on the sides of the visor, no center screw. The side screws keep the visor pretty snug but not locked so tight that it won't slip in a crash, possibly preventing a visor from snapping. Where the visor would normally touch the helmet's shell, Rockgardn actually placed the soft side of velcro on it so it wouldn't scratch up the paint. Nice attention to detail. The whole liner is removable, but all I could get out were the cheekpads and the rear part of the main piece. When I was trying to remove the front, I could only get the sides out, not the part that is directly above the forehead. So, that’s the downside I have found with this helmet. Maybe the one I got was just extra tight. I still highly recommend this helmet even with that minor issue to those looking for quality, lightness, good breathability and a clean look.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail, Nascar

Purchased At:   Rockgardn

Similar Products Used:   661, TLD, Giro

Bike Setup:   2009 Trek Remedy, GT Moto.

Submitted by Sasquatch a Racer from Oceanside, Ca USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2011

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Purchased At:   Rockgardn

Similar Products Used:   661, TLD, Giro

Bike Setup:   2009 Trek Remedy, GT Moto.

up to 25% off Pearl Izumi and other brands on Amazon

You have to spend 100 bucks to get the 25% off. Lesser discounts apply to lesser amounts spent, and it only applies to their stuff that's sold and shipped by Amazon. Still includes a lot of items though. They have some other brands for sale too, but PI seems to fit me better than any other br ... Read More »

Pearl izumi Elite Barrier Shoe cover - S- XL $16.74 w/ free prime shipping

Sizes S-XL are now available. $16.74 is insane. I paid like $60 for these earlier this year. Lowest price by quite a bit on Camel Camel. [URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004N62JH4"]Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Shoe Cover,Black,X-Large[/URL] FWIW, I wear a 12, ... Read More »

Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro IV

So, I ordered these for my gravel riding, single track, and commuting adventures where I may do some or a lot of walking and hanging out. I was curious what others thoughts were on their performace during cx events? I just really don't enjoy my mountain shoes which i refer to as a slightly modified ... Read More »

Pearl Izumi Project 3.0 shoe sizing help - Do they fit small??

Hi there, I've spent the last 30 minutes searching all over the net trying to figure out how these new Project 3.0 shoes fit (or the 2.0 & 3.0 for that matter). I have read a few posts that suggest they run on the small size. I would try a pair on locally, unfortunately my city doesn't have any ... Read More »

Has anyone tried the new Pearl IUzumi X-Project shoes?

I have ridden X-Alps for the past couple of years. They are very comfortable, but maybe a little too flexy at times. The X-Project seems to be a nice middle ground between that and a super stiff racing shoe. Anybody tried them yet?Read More »