Pro-Tec Shovelhead 2 Full Face Helmet

The SH2 is back for 2010 with the addition of another colorway. Both models still have custom-molded low-profile ABS shells with an EPS liner for increased head protection while keeping the weight down. Strategically placed ventilation holes and channels keep airflow a priority. A removable Nylex interior helps keep the sweat to a minimum and makes cleaning a snap.

Submitted by HaloRider

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2013

Strengths:    One of the more affordable full face helmets around, comfortable, good ventilation and nice styling

Weaknesses:    The internal liner tends to move after hard usage, and the visor clip tends to loosen during bumpy trail rides

Bottom Line:
Ever since I gotten into downhill and free-riding, the Shovelhead 2 was my first draft pick.

Currently am using my third shell as the first two saved my noggin with 2 serious crashes. The Doc over at the Emergency Room told me that I was lucky to have my helmet on as the right side of my helm buckled in, saving me from a serious head injury. The second saved my noggin again but I fractured my 4th metacarpal and pinky on my right hand in 6 pieces.

On the pros, what I listed still stands. it's affordable, nice styling and colors [I had the Matt Black versions], comfortable once it's secured in and keeps my head comfy, despite the heat.

The downside, maybe its the heat here but the inner glue that holds the material in tends to disappear and allow movement that makes it just a bit uncomfortable. I had to re-glue it in and use some dbl sided tape to prevent the front from slipping down. And with the visor twist lock dial, it needs to be constantly tightened or that visor is coming down on bumpy rides.

But in all, I love this helmet! Can't go wrong with it!