Bell Bellistic Full Face Helmet

4.3/5 (27 Reviews)

Made of a tough, multi-layered fiberglass shell with EPS foam liner, the Bellistic features full-face coverage, an adjustable retention harness, adjustable visor and large eye port to accomodate goggles, and 15 built-in vents.

Submitted by Longboarder a Downhiller from seattle, washington

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2010

Strengths:    great for both longobarding freeriding and bmxing

Bottom Line:
I ride my stinky pretty hard and race my longobard. this helemt works like a charm for both, i even used it for bmxing one time, but didnt really like. i prefer a bucket type for that. however i have had a few crashes with it and it has saved my jaw twice. there is a huge scratch going down the side of my helmet now..better it than my jaw.

i couldnt be happier with it.

Bike Setup:   2009 kona stinky deluxe, landyachtz evo longobard dh setup

Submitted by speedy_gonzales a Downhiller from Cheshire, UK

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2009

Strengths:    Its incredibly strong, good fit for my small head...

Bottom Line:
Used this for my first year of downhilling, when my ballz were way bigger than my ability! Seriously, it must have saved my life more than a dozen times, I probably should have replaced it sooner..!!!

Currently using 661 legend, but will get another of these next time round, shame they dont do it in white!

Favorite Trail:   Pila WC Downhill Course, Italy

Similar Products Used:   661 evo, 661 legend

Bike Setup:   Sunday Factory Frame, 2009 Fox 40 RC2, Fox DHX 5.0, Saint drivetrain and shifting, EX721 on Hope Pro II, Maxxis minnion and high roller combo, direct mount sunline stem, Avid Code 4 Brakes...

Submitted by schneidie a Downhiller from south windsor, ct, usa

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2008

Strengths:    full face, good impact protection, price

Weaknesses:    not very many sizes

Bottom Line:
good for freeride and DH if you're stretched for cash, Good helmet for not that much money.

Favorite Trail:   killington

Purchased At:   Manchester bike shop

Similar Products Used:   pro-tec skate helmet, countless other bike helmets

Bike Setup:   2008 kona stinky

Submitted by Osseus a Downhiller from Wells

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2008

Strengths:    Awesome looks and fit. havnt needed to actually use the protection part let. goggles fit easily and has a gr8 style and graphic, especially if ur lucky enough 2 get a cedric garcia limited edition 1.snug fit and doesnt rattle around at all. very very lightweight

Weaknesses:    wierd sizing. et a size smaller than usual or jst try 1 on first. snug fit and doesnt rattle around at all

Bottom Line:
If ur looking 4 a budget helmet that looks gr8 and functions and fits jst as well get this helmet.especially if u can get it on offer. look on www.chainreactioncycles.com but try before u buy

Favorite Trail:   blackdown

Purchased At:   cycle centre, shepton mallet

Similar Products Used:   Mace, 661

Bike Setup:   2006 kona coiler deluxe

Submitted by Blake from Calgary Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2007

Strengths:    Great price for what you get. Good overall padding. Great protection. I am on my 2nd ballistic now (Cedric Gracia edition...Painting it because its hideous)

Weaknesses:    Visor is Junk! Cheap brittle crap. Mine is (Was) held together with fishing twine (Looked pretty bad ass.)Helmet itself is great in winter (exception is the visor cracks at -0)

Bottom Line:
$ for $ best helmet out there, Lets face it I know I'm gonna crash, why pay big $$$ for a helmet I'm gonna thrash? The ballistic is a good helmet, That being said the visor is total junk!!! I have made a mold of the visor and now run a fiber glass visor in its place. I have my trashed ballistic (looks bad ass) and my CG ballistic(Once painted My comp helm)

Purchased At:   NA

Similar Products Used:   tested all products out there

Bike Setup:   02 Kona Stinky Dee

Submitted by Dirty Dirt-E a Cross Country Rider from Western Washington

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Strengths:    Good fit, strong, good price, saved my mugg.

Weaknesses:    Maybe needs more vents.

Bottom Line:
Ok, I'm 38. I own a house and have a great career. I'm no mommas boy, but I was talking with my mom the other day about a ride I went on with my buddy. Every time I tell her a story about a ride she asks if I wear a helmet.(DUH) I always smile and tell her "yes mom". She asked me if I wore "The kind that covers your whole face" I told her no, I don't have one. She insisted on buying one for me and gave me $100. I've always been a Giro guy. But, the LBSs didn't have any Giro full face helmets and I was going on a ride the next day so I kind of wanted to find one. I saw and liked the Bell Bellistic. It fit well, had some vents and felt sturdy. Fast forward to the next day. Rode to the top of Crystal Mt.(beautiful) Rode around a while then started down. Riding my new 2008 Giant Reign Zero and feeling good, got into some rocks while passing (and taunting) my boys and got a flat, I mean an instant flat, on the front. I heard one hiss, looked down and BAM! The wheel washed out and dumped me on my face at an estimated 30 MPH. I was wearing full armor and the brand new Bell Bellistic that my mom paid for the day before. Not a scratch on me. Bent the rear disc on my bike.(now THAT pissed me off) I did see stars for a few seconds, and my shoulder and ribs hurt today, but I can only imagine that I would have certainly gone to the ER and lost some teeth in that crash. First full face, first day wearing it, definitely getting another one. The part that protects your face cracked near the vents. Whatev' I'm still pretty! I've read some reviews that people write and they complain that their helmets cracked or broke when they crashed. Give me a break!!! Think about it! You just broke a fiberglass helmet by impacting something hard.... with your head! You should thank the company (like I did) that you can still type!!!

Favorite Trail:   Dalles Ridge

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   First full face. Otherwise, mostly high end Giros

Bike Setup:   The Sweetest bike in the world!!!! 2008 Giant Reign Zero

Submitted by James from Cooper Landing, Alaska

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2007

Strengths:    Fairly comfortable padding once broken in, nice spacious face opening, decent looking. Haven't wrecked with it yet, but feels sturdy. Goggles stay in place for me.

Weaknesses:    Flimsy visor (screw to which got stripped and fell off within 2 rides, thus leaving the visor flappy). Very heavy (NOT light for a FF helmet, at all). Very few open vents. I overheat really easily with this thing. Interior stays SOAKED after use, and the pads are detachable, making it really hard to clean.

Bottom Line:
I'm not a huge fan of this helmet. If I could do it over, I'd wait and spend another 50 or 60 bucks to get a better full face helmet. It's weight and the lack of vents makes it very hard to pedal around with this on head. I over heat very easily wearing it. It's hard to clean, the visor is flimsy.
That being said, it is a cheap way to get facial protection. I think you get what you pay for. Feels sturdy and like it would work in a crash.

Favorite Trail:   Cresent Lake Trail

Submitted by Max a Downhiller from California

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2007

Strengths:    protects your head

Weaknesses:    leaves your chin exposed.

Bottom Line:
This helmet sucks! You might as well just buy a open face, it would be less hot. I've had my teeth knocked loose twice wearing this thing and just last weekent I recieved a handlebar to the face and the helmet did nothing. I ended up with 6 stitches. I'm throwing this piece of junk away!

Favorite Trail:   dirt Merchant

Purchased At:   local shop

Bike Setup:   05 orange faith with 07 boxxer team....

Submitted by dez a Downhiller from british columbia

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2007

Strengths:    cheap. great beginner helmet.

Weaknesses:    hot. when i hit a tree or land on my face it pushes up and exposes my chin so it mine as well not be there. and the only way to prevent that is to wear goggles. but its kinda a pain to wear gogs so ya.

Bottom Line:
good for absolute begginers. if ur actually serious about FR DH or DJ get a pro tec or a six six one or a giro.

Favorite Trail:   bakseat driver

Purchased At:   wheel world

Similar Products Used:   a pro-tec helmet cant remeber what model tho

Bike Setup:   highly upgraded rocky mountain flow.

Submitted by Hilty a Weekend Warrior from Va/Wv

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2007

Strengths:    very open face... stays nice and cool for a full face, and cheap

Weaknesses:    hard to keep gogle strap, needs a guide, but its not bad

Bottom Line:
love it, its made for a biker and not the moto rider style like some many are. but it is a ... bell eww.

Purchased At:   performace

Similar Products Used:   661 somethin or other.. very warm

Bike Setup:   AM

Submitted by Pierre from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight padding

Weaknesses:    Lack of goggle harness and guide.

Bottom Line:
One of the lightest full face helmets in the market. Padding is abundant especially around the cheek area. Used this for freeriding on ladders and skinnies. First fall on my face and I saw stars. As I sat up to catch my breath I was relieved to have this on my head. Was on my bike in the next ten minutes. Had I not had it I would have been waiting for medical help. overall good protection at an affordable price. Not as bulky as some of the DOT approved full face but that comes with the added protection. Definitely recommended for 4X, BMX, freeriding, and trials. Gets too hot for long agressive XC rides. Need more protection for shuttle runs. Overall a great investment for protective dental coverage.

Purchased At:   Cambria bikes

Similar Products Used:   Mad Max - Bell tension

Submitted by Steve a Downhiller from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2006

Strengths:    Light, good looking, fits really well, saved my face when I went over the handlebar.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily; sometimes hot, but I live in Arizona, so what can I expect?

Bottom Line:
This is a great helmet for the price. Especialy since it is a full face. I would reccomend it to anyone who was looking for a great full face helmet that is under $100.

Favorite Trail:   Mormon Loop, National

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   BMX styles...

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho R

Submitted by JV a Racer from Belgium

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2006

Strengths:    lightweight, vents, padding, looks really cool, easy buckle system and CHEAP!

Weaknesses:    none that I can think off

Bottom Line:
I bought this helmet last week of ebay for $60. I was in the market for a new helmet after I smashed my TLD d2. I didn't want to spend to much cash so I went with the bellistic. I couldn't be more happier with this helmet.

I would like to mention that I'm not a downhiller, I race BMX and 4x. In downhill you reach speeds that are comparable to motocross, thats why I would sudjest wearing a moto lid for downhill.

I tried this helmet twice at the bmx track last weekend and I'm stoked. The helmet is very light and it didn't botter at all while riding. Also, my oakley crowbars fits perfectly in this lid. I did not yet crash in this lid so I don't know how it will held up after a serieus impact. The helmet seems to be well built and very durable, it should last at least 1 - 2 years.

Overall, I'm glad I bought it. For $ 60 I just couldn't resist buying it. If you are in the market for a new helmet go for this one! Its perfect for bmx, 4x, freeride and maybe even downhill (depends on your skill level) and its cheap! I would definitely buy one again!

Favorite Trail:   Winterberg bike park

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Troy Lee d2

Bike Setup:   racer style

Submitted by William Holmes a Cross Country Rider from Anacortes,Wa

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2006

Strengths:    I bought it because it was lighter and fit better than anything else I tried. It saved my life!

Weaknesses:    I wonder if I would not have suffered a concusion if I were wearing a more expensive helmet.

Bottom Line:
I bought this helmet on a Friday night at Whistler. The next day at around noon I crashed. There is a big scar in the top of the helmet and I'm beat up bad all over my entire body despite having on full protective gear. I do not remember anything about the crash, suffered a concussion, 5 hrs in the clinic, and a CAT scan. I feel fine now after 48 hrs, although memory is not fully back. I can't stop wondering if this would have happen had I bought a more expensive helmet, but I also feel like it saved my life.

Favorite Trail:   B-Line at Whistler

Purchased At:   Whistler

Similar Products Used:   I spent almost four hours at Whistler going to every shop I could find to try on every helmet. This one fit the best.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz V10

Submitted by Jason Todrick a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, California

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2006

Strengths:    Light, Inexpensive FULL FACE!

Weaknesses:    Maybe a bit hot, but honestly, not too bad for a full face.

Bottom Line:
This has got to be the best value helmet I have ever seen. In shopping for a standard MTB helmet it occured to me that I wear full face on my motorcycle... why would I be stupid enough to not wear one on my MTB.

I am not a Downhiller by any means and any one who is truly runnign downhill should be using a DOT Motorcycle Full Face anyway. What I would classify my riding as is Aggressive CC, not freeride, but certainly not out for an afternoon stroll. This helmet fits that nitch well, it's light enough to wear all day and tough enough to save the noggin should things go... well, not as planned. Plus, should you take an unexpected Face Plant, you're covered... I'd put this helmets up against any "beenie" type in a face-first 10mph wreck anyday.

Best Part, Performance Bike was running a sale when I need to buy my new helmet.

Favorite Trail:   Coyote Run, Aliso Canyon