Wiley X (Protective Optics) Rebel Eyewear

1.85/5 (13 Reviews)

Wiley X (Protective Optics) Rebel

Submitted by Covenant

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    Fits my face well.

Weaknesses:    Fogs,sweat rolls into the lens and stays there. Light Adjusting lenses do not adjust. They are always clear.

Bottom Line:
I paid extra for the light adjusting lenses and it's a waste of money. They never darken no matter how bright it gets.

Contacted customer service online and have never received a response. Stay away from this brand, they suck!

Submitted by nuck_chorris a Weekend Warrior from spring tx USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    ANSI certified, good sun protection , easy to change out lenses.

Weaknesses:    foggy at times , wind protection not all its hyped up to be. weak flimsy frames

Bottom Line:
as mentioned above they have good sun and they also protect my eyes from spider webs and branches. these glasses even with the foam still let lots of air into my eyes. they feel like they are going to break every time I put them on but they don't so they have a nice flex to them.

-abelcastillo53@gmail.com

Favorite Trail:   spring creek

Similar Products Used:   lots of cheap ones

Bike Setup:   trek 850 with drop bars

Submitted by Pippin a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, well designed frame. Clarity

Weaknesses:    Magnetic foam attachment can be fussy.

Bottom Line:
I'm surprised by these reviews. I very happy with my Wiley X XL-3. They fit well, adjust quickly to changing light conditions and protect the eyes from wind and eye hazards.

Favorite Trail:   Alder Ride/Mad Lake

Purchased At:   Won at race

Similar Products Used:   Numerous Rudy Projects, Smith

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2007

Strengths:    Come in various sizes ranging from fat heads to pencil necks. Look pretty good on your face.

Weaknesses:    Extremely fragile frames!! The orginals began cracking on their own around the eyehole; still under warranty, so I sent 'em back. The replacement began to crack again! I babied them and, a few days later, the hairline became a complete separation overnight! Wiley Customer Service was rude and crude: "No longer under warranty; buy another pair." Fat chance Wiley - you burned me once so I'm going to sing.

Bottom Line:
Wiley X is extremely self-overrated. Purchase at your own risk! Wiley X talks the talk but doesn't live up anywhere near expectations.

Purchased At:   Wiley X Online

Bike Setup:   Which one? :)

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2007

Strengths:    They came in Black.

Weaknesses:    FOG, FOG, FOG

Bottom Line:
This is for the Wiley X P-17, I was bamboozled into these by my local eye doctors office. Needed a RX so I wanted a sunglass style. these were all they offered up. I could not get them to stop fogging up. The Doc offered me several ANTI FOG wipes and they still did not work. Tried new lenses, still FOG, FOG, FOG. Lens kept popping out.

I RETURNED THEM IN A WEEK......

Purchased At:   Local eye doc

Similar Products Used:   Maui Jim's

Bike Setup:   5 Spot

Submitted by Jay Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2006

Strengths:    Crap

Weaknesses:    Crap

Bottom Line:
I have been in the Army 14 years. I have used numerous types of eyewear. I don't ride bikes but I had to tell someone how crappy Wiley-X is. I have been issued from the Army two types of Wileys, don't know which type and don't care. They both have sucked. They fog up, sweat pools in the eyecups, and they are made cheaply. Don't buy them.

Purchased At:   US Army

Similar Products Used:   Oakley and ESS

Submitted by ANDREW a Weekend Warrior from BATON ROUGE, LA. USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2005

Strengths:    UHHH

Weaknesses:    ANYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE

Bottom Line:
THESE ARE THE WILEY X SG GOGGLE GLASSES THAT ARE PHOTOCHROMATIC. THEY ARE COMPLETE JUNK. THE LENSES ARE VVVVVEEEEEEERRRRRRYYYYY SLOW TO CHANGE AND THE CHANGE IS VIRTUALLY IMPERCEPTIBLE. THE FRAMES ARE CHEAPER THAN ANYTHING I HAVE SEEN. THE ATTACHMENT SYSTEM IS A JOKE. THE TEMPLES ARE VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. THE LENSES FOG LIKE CRAZY. THESE ARE THE WORST THINGS I HAVE PUT ON MY FACE, INCLUDING A FAT CHICK.

WHY DID I BUY THEM YOU ASK? WELL, I WANTED GOGGLE STYLE EYE PROTECTION AND SUN RELIEF THAT I COULD SAFELY WEAR ON THE TRAILS. THE IDEA WAS TO FIND SOME PHOTOCHROMIC LENSES THAT WOULD ALLOW ME TO SEE IN ALL LIGHT CONDITIONS OF THE MOUNTAIN. THESE WILEYS GOT SO MUCH HYPE FROM DESERT STORM AND ALL, SO I BOUGHT THEM ONLINE. NO LOCAL DEALERS. HORRIBLE, ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. I CANNOT USE THEM WHILE RIDING. I FEEL VIOLATED FOR $80.

Favorite Trail:   COMITE RIVER AND HOOPER

Purchased At:   ONLINE

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2005

Strengths:    good wind protection when wearing contacts

Weaknesses:    cheap frames
light adjusting lenses don't get dark
interchangable lenses very difficult to change
overall poor quality

Bottom Line:
I originally found Wiley-X when looking for "windless" sunglasses for fast road riding. My contacts would often dry out on fast downhills with other brands of sunglasses, even full wrap-around styles.

I got the Wiley-X model XL-1 with light adjusting (photochromic) lenses. The frames have a foam gasket on the inside that seals to the face when the glasses are held on tightly by their strap. The wind blocking is good if the frames will fit your face. My frames are somewhat warped but fit well enough when worn tightly.

The "light adjusting" lenses are a very expensive joke. Even in the brightest direct sunlight at midday they only darken very slightly. Partically speaking, a clear lens would work just as well and is much less money.

The interchangable lenses are another problem. They are so difficult to remove that the frame is in danger of breaking at the bottom, very impractical.

Overall quality of the frames, lenses, and cheap plastic case is at the junk level. Our armed forces use these glasses, but probably because Wiley-X was the low bidder. My advice, if you want a pair of Wiley-X get them from eBay for $35 for the XL-1 with grey lenses (comes with clear lens too). Or look at the Panoptx.

Purchased At:   local optical shop