Tifosi Slip Eyewear

3.6/5 (15 Reviews)
Weight : 19 grams MSRP : $60.00

Slip Tifosi Eyewear with interchangeable lenses and a customizable fit Made of GrilamidTR-90, a homopolyamide nylon characterized by an extremely high alternative bending strength, low density, and high resistanceTo chemical and UV damage Hydrophilic rubber ear and nose pieces for a no-slip fit Adjustable ear pieces for a customizable, comfortable fit Fits smallTo large faces 24 grams Good fit for women TifosiTech Specs GrilamidTR-90: a homopolyamide nylon characterized by an

Submitted by Jesterrider

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2013

Strengths:    Inexpensive, nice fit.

Weaknesses:    Lenses break & Tifosi charges to replace.

Bottom Line:
I have 2 pairs of different Tifosi sunglasses and 3 lenses have all cracked in the center. I will not buy Tifosi again

Submitted by SlickRick a Downhiller from Nashville, TN

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent fit, ventilation (big deal for me), interchangeable lenses are great (especially after Tifosi corrected the design flaw that caused lenses to crack at the nose area), and super lightweight.

Weaknesses:    None since the flaw in design that made lenses crack/break in half was corrected. I spoke directly with Tifosi about the problem, and it was a problem with the notch in the lens being cut incorrectly on select lenses.

Bottom Line:
The Slip is a great glass for basically any condition, assuming you have the interchangeable version with swappable lenses. The vents work great as long as you don't wear your glasses so close to your face they touch your eyelashes. I own two pair and haven't had any problems mentioned here, and I've ridden them hard. No peeling lenses (???) or cracked lenses. I was also told that if my lens ever cracked or broke, that it would be replaced free of charge under warranty, but that I shouldn't have any problems with it.

Purchased At:   Zappos.com

Similar Products Used:   Oakley, Ryders, Smith Opt.

Submitted by Veda a Cross Country Rider from Asia

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2011

Strengths:    Fototec photochromic lens is very useful. Nice fit.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Fit not as good as the Tyrant. Haven't experienced any cracking lens on top of the nose like others here. I'd get the Tyrant everytime!

Favorite Trail:   Hambalang

Similar Products Used:   Tifosi Tyrant, Polaroid, Oakley, etc

Bike Setup:   XC Fullsus

Submitted by cfelix a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2010

Strengths:    Nice fit, great lenses. Cheaper.

Weaknesses:    The lens tends to break on top of the nose. This is a flaw with the design. The bridge area is to thin and this is without even removing the lens as I have only one.

Bottom Line:
I recommend Tifosi eyewear, just not the ones with this type of lense. Buy one with two lenses.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia Trail, FL

Similar Products Used:   Rudy project

Submitted by kcordes a Cross Country Rider from Brookfield, CT USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2010

Strengths:    Fit

Weaknesses:    quality

Bottom Line:
AC Red Lens is good out of the box, but I do NOT reccomend using them for any riding where you might sweat (!) and then clean them on trail with anything other than a sterlized cloth (!) seriously, the coating wore off after two (yep 2) rides. the yellow and clear lenses are OK, as they have no coating on them. low chili counts / sorry tifosi but I gave you a chance!

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Keith Jenkins a Weekend Warrior from Vandalia OH

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2010

Strengths:    decent optics, tough frame.

Weaknesses:    Lenses break over the nose. Replacement didn't make it a year without cracking. Tried one of my wife's lenses - and the notch is smaller. If the lenses are supposed to be interchangable, changing them shouldn't be a problem for the lens.

Bottom Line:
Would NOT recommend.

Favorite Trail:   road

Purchased At:   Kettering Bike

Bike Setup:   Trek 2100

Submitted by yost a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2008

Strengths:    Lens options, fantastic customer support, stick to your head like glue, great wind protection

Weaknesses:    ear grips came off (but Tifosi was quick to send a new set of grips), a little "jock-y" for my taste

Bottom Line:
Bike is my main mode of locomotion, so having good eyewear is important. I use clear lenses at night, red in clouds and black in sun. Switching 'em out is easy, they fit nicely under my helmet and above my earphones, and they keep my contacts from drying out. C'mon, essentially four pair of glasses for fifty bucks? Can't beat it. Especially those 5:00am rides to work when it's -10F. Yes, I'm moving out of Michigan soon!

Favorite Trail:   Main street, faster than the cars.

Purchased At:   Wheels in Motion

Similar Products Used:   Optic Nerve Response Photomatic

Bike Setup:   Trek 7.3FX tricked out commuter-style

Submitted by spencer Allen a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City, Missouri USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2008

Strengths:    Absolutly lovely to where. Very comfortable and reliable. I can't see my neighbors mom's face when we're going at it missionary style. But other than that, being at taco bell at 3 in the morning never looked so good.

Weaknesses:    Very easy to walk out of store with. Did not stop the cancer/aids destroying my colon.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is.. I stole these glasses and feel bad for people that had to buy them. They are not the best bike glasses I have seen and that is why I will be returning them shortly to Principles Pro Shop. When I arrive there I will then hand over the missing pair of glasses I stole, along with a blinking light thingy, 5 power bars, a pair of bike shorts, and the already mentioned dildo. No matter how many Flamming chilli's I rate this product. The concept of these scoring system shall always be... "Flaming"

Favorite Trail:   Girls Backside

Purchased At:   Principle Pro Shop

Similar Products Used:   I'v been a clepto for so long I care not to look at the brands that are hidden away in my very bright yellow poncho that I incongruously walk into stores with. I did steal a 10 inch dildo once. I would rather not mention where I had to conceal it.

Bike Setup:   I'v got a Suzuki 1500cc GSXR with custom exaust and headers, along with full subwoofer and pioneer deck.

Submitted by cooz a Cross Country Rider from burlington vt usa

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2007

Strengths:    lense choices, grippy earpiece

Weaknesses:    durability -lenses crack, nose piece rubber comes loose

Bottom Line:
i wish tifosi would offer replacement lenses cheaper since these break so easily. they snap into the frame above the nose and its an extremely weak design, 2 of the 3 lenses cracked in half there with about a years use. i tried to be very careful with removal and installation but its just a bad design. now that im down to the last lense (amber) hopefully it will stand up if left in there. the rubber nose grips also have a tendency to slide off the frame. otherwise they're light and fairly scratch resistant but im disappointed with the longevity.

Purchased At:   nashbar

Submitted by Paul Gerber a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2006

Strengths:    A lot cheaper than oakleys or specialized and they are brilliant value for money. 4 lenses, superlight and very little fogging(only when you stop in the cold, it's London...Its very cold)

Weaknesses:    None as of yet...

Bottom Line:
Fantastic set of glasses...Super light and stick to your face no matter what. They only ever fog up when you stop and it is really cold(like, under 10 degrees celsius). The 4 different lenses cover every situation and are really easy to switch between.
For glasses at this price range you seldom get a hardcase which means you carry all your extra lenses in a soft pouch in your bag, these come with a hardcase which fits the extra lenses in very neatly.
All in all, for under £50 you cant get better.

Favorite Trail:   anything beats walking

Purchased At:   Action Cycles

Bike Setup:   Merida Matts Pro Disc, SRAM X0, Hayes HFX-9, DT Swiss X455.

Submitted by Matt Schifferle a Cross Country Rider from Vermont

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2006

Strengths:    Great value for the money.

Weaknesses:    Note the most street fashionable

Bottom Line:
I bought these as a "second pair" from the rudy's I was wearing at the time. It was cheaper than buying the rose and clear lenses that I needed and I fingured I would just use them from time to time. By the end of the month my Rudys were collecting dust because I only wanted to wear the slips. I forgot I was wearing them every time I put them on. The Ventelation was good and you can't beet the value. It's true that the first Slips had week frames but they promptly replaced mine when they broke. The new design is much stronger and I don't expect to ever have the same issue again.

I know Rudy and Oakley are better optics but putting them side by side with the Tifosi, it was tough to justify the extra expence. I'm very rarely impressed with glasses that are less than $100. They won't make you look good when your just hanging out, but they keep the mud out of my eyes even in the most hellish conditions. buy these glasses and keep the rubber side down.

Favorite Trail:   anything!!!!!

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   Rudy Projects

Bike Setup:   jamis Dakar XC Expert Stock.

Submitted by Tim a Racer from Rockville, MD

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Strengths:    Fototec lenses - I purchases the 2006 Slip Black frame with the light night fototec lenses. Initially there was a break in period for the lens to fully adjust to it's maximum darkness. This was about 3 uses. The lens is very versitle and works well for me on my commute home as it gets dark. The lens is smoke gray in the sunlight and gradually lightens to a near clear lens as the sun sets. I've also found this to be great for off road in the trees.

Bottom Line:
Great value for $60. I compared these to the Specialized glasses and could buy nearly 3 pair of Tifosi's for the price. I recommend the Tifosi's as they are quite comfortable and certainly the better value.

Purchased At:   Athleticshades.com

Similar Products Used:   Used other sunglasses but this is the first variable tint lens I've used.

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Folsom, CA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Strengths:    4 lenses - for $50! What a great deal. The 2006 model is very comfortable and comes with 4 sets of lenses. They are simple to change out. They are also very comfortable.

Bottom Line:
What an incredible deal - 4 sets of lenses for a fraction of the price of my Rudy Projects. You couldn't ask for a better value. I highly recommend these for both mountain bikers and road riders. They do a great job of blocking the wind from my eyes and as a guy that wears contacts, this is important.

Also, I would recommend buying from AthleticShades.com
Their customer service is great and they ship for free!

Purchased At:   AthleticShades.com