Home | Reviews | Eyewear | Spy

3.36/5 (11 Reviews)

Scoop

Submitted by Frank D a Cross Country Rider from Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2005

Strengths:    looks awesome, i dont know why these days all sunglases under 150$ look so crappy

Weaknesses:    hmmm all , the fancy color is made of rubber and it peeled off ,all the rubber starts falling apart and the rubber arm ends break up easily.

you can buy them cuz they look cool, but if u gonna use them they will fall apart.

Bottom Line:
dont buy rubber covered sunglasses ever

Purchased At:   Local Surf shop

Similar Products Used:   arnette catfish, quicksilver cosmos, electric digit

Bike Setup:   trek 4300 upgraded to xt with tora fork

Submitted by JOe a Weekend Warrior from Astoria, Or, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2004

Strengths:    I ordered the smith scoop gs with gold lenses. The lense color was awesome, it really boosted contrast. Thats about it.

Weaknesses:    The paint on the frames comes off easily, the lense scratched pretty easy, The frame is really weak and broke while in the case in my backpack (They were not stepped on or sat on)

Bottom Line:
The frame is crap...they are overpriced good looking pieces of crap.

Favorite Trail:   Norms trail, Astoria

Purchased At:   online (I forget what site)

Similar Products Used:   Smith Buzzsaws (great glasses)

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Veloce stock

Submitted by Ryan Brandt a Downhiller from Marquette, Michigan, United States

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2003

Strengths:    very comfortable, the vents work well. They sweet looking and they don't fall off. The grips let the fram stil to your head. The lenses are changeable and come in many different colors for different day. Frames come in different colors to. Durable-

Weaknesses:    they fog up onece in a wile but not often

Bottom Line:
There the best glasses i have ever had and used. There perfect for skateing, biking, snow skating, and skim boarding. I love em. try em out out your local dealer.
The spy micro scoop is the best for smaller faces and dont fit large heads.

Favorite Trail:   Your Mom

Purchased At:   Casualties

Similar Products Used:   oakley twenties, smith voodoe

Bike Setup:   Specialized rockhopper fsr comp

Submitted by captn a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Hills

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2003

Strengths:    light weight, they don't fall off,all the different lenses you can use and they don't fog up

Weaknesses:    lenses scratch easily, but then again you are mountain biking.

Bottom Line:
they work great dark lenses during a sunny day orange or yellow at dusk or overcast.Clear on a nightride

Purchased At:   present

Similar Products Used:   standard cheap sunglasses

Submitted by Philip Orosco a Racer from LA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2001

Strengths:    This is a review for the SPY MICRO SCOOP: Interchangable lenses, light, black frames fit me perfectly, vents really work.

Weaknesses:    Lenses scratch easily, no nose piece to help them stay up on the shnoz. Silver frames are tighter than the blacks, and dont fit my head. very strange.

Bottom Line:
I have never used the plain SPY scoop, but I have the micro scoop in both silver and black. The vents work flawlessly, as long as you are moving. When I stop while riding, the fog sets in, but as soon as I get rolling, the fog immediately vanishes. Very Cool. Interchangable lenses are good and easy. I like to use the yellow lens in races, and they have never let me down. Maybe one time per race I have to push the glasses back up from slipping on the nose. Maybe spy can work on that one.

I also must give kudos to Spy for some serious customer service. At last weeks race I showed the rep that my yellow lenses and showed him that they had developed a patter of scratches (probably my fault for tossing them in the tool bag repeatedly). The rep said "you know I take care of you guys" and popped in a new set of yellows without hesitation. That was one of the coolest showings of customer service that I have ever seen. Lastly, the silver frames are inexplicably snugger than the blacks, and dont really fit that well in comparison. Very strange.

Purchased At:   Dont remember

Similar Products Used:   Oakley, cheapos, various

Bike Setup:   Sworks

Submitted by Jason Glaspey a Downhiller from Eugene, OR

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Strengths:    They'll never fall off.
I like the optics out of these glasses much better than Smiths. It seems like the lenses are of a higher quality. When I tried the Smiths on in the store, my vision was reduced, not enhanced.

Weaknesses:    They pinch my head a bit, which doesn't feel very good after a few hours of riding.
They fog horribly bad if you stop during a ride. When you're moving, the scoop gets air into the vents and they don't fog as bad, but I've never had glasses fog this bad before.
The arms are so thick that I can't wear my hat and them at the same time. Luckily it's not a problem with my helmet, but a visor or ball cap is out of the question.

Bottom Line:
When I tried them on in the store, I liked the fact that they fit really snug. So I bought them thinking they would never fall off when crashing on my bike or snowboard. This has been true, but they fit so tight that it becomes uncomfortable after a while. Plus, they fog terribly everytime I stop on the trail. I like Spy, but wouldn't recomend this model.

Similar Products Used:   Dragon, Nike with replaceable lenses.

Submitted by John from T.C. Michigan

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    looks

Weaknesses:    tons- fog instantly and stay fogged! I always need to use anti fog spray. the vent system si a joke. The pain on the glasses is peeling off. I'll never buy spy again!!!!

Bottom Line:
crap!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   north country

Similar Products Used:   oakley, zeal, smith

Submitted by T C from SGV (The other Valley)

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2000

Strengths:    Looks, Fit, Versatility.

Weaknesses:    The Spy name applied to the ear triggers has almost completely rubbed off, looks cheap. Have started using an anti-fog coating when needed. The case supplied with glasses has spikes sticking out of it to use a feet to help it stand up, not a good thing.

Bottom Line:
Still a love hate relationship, more love than hate for sure.

Favorite Trail:   SART (My other Favorite)

Purchased At:   NORBA Event

Similar Products Used:   Oakley, Smith, Bolle

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight w/ XT, Bontrager, FSA, and Kooka components.

Submitted by Tom Cavanaugh a Cross Country Rider from SGV(The Other Valley),CA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2000

Strengths:    Looks and fit, although the fit is also one of it's drawbacks. Interchangeable lenses.

Weaknesses:    Scoop design is a gimick. These are the most fog prone glasses I've ever worn. They have a tendency to fog badly close to the nose piece. Spy told me that the extra lenses that come with the Commando Kit have an permanent anti-fog coating on them but not the original lenses that come with the glasses. I've been told by several optomitrists that there is no such thing as a permanent anti-fog coating.Also the fit and wrap is set so close to your face that sweat is easily transfered to the outside area of the lenses close to the hinges. Also because the wrap is so tight you cannot reach in behind the glasses with a finger to rub your eye or to remove sweat if you have to. Spy has told me to send the glasses in to them and they will do a limited adjustment. I think this will be difficult to do without me being there? Also only a one year warranty with a pair of $100 glasses, shows a lack of faith in the product.

Bottom Line:
I hope the adjustment helps, I do like the style of the glasses and love the interchangeable lenses. So far it's a love hate relationship.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Sam Merrill

Similar Products Used:   Smith, Oakley, Bolle.

Bike Setup:   856 Pro-Flex, Kooka Cranks, XT derailuers and brakes, Grip shift, Mavic, Panaracer Fire Comp Pro, Mountain Speed Springs

Submitted by JON from CANADA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2000

Strengths:    GREAT LOOKS......GREAT SCOOP DESIGN

Weaknesses:    NONE FOUND OF YET

Bottom Line:
BEST GLASSES IN THE WORLD!!!
HELL IF THEY'RE GOOD ENOUGH FOR NA-PALM THEN THEY'RE DAMN GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME

Similar Products Used:   SMITH SLIDER BAZOOKA'S

Submitted by Jeff a cross-country rider from The flat midwest

Date Reviewed: November 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

Tired of Oakleys and Smiths being seen everywhere? Well, check out Spy, the sunglasses of choice of mighty riders like Shaun Palmer, Jeremy McGrath and other really good folks. The scoop is the mid priced model of the scoop series at $90 for a pair. They fit great, even on guys with small heads. They're polarized for no distortion, and are available in many colors for frames and lenses. The pros are that they're different, work great, and look great. The cons is that they're hard to find and they aren't prescription ready. Their site is www.spyeyes.com

What's the scoop on Grand Junction Off-Road Race?

Has anyone ridden the trails up there? How does that compare in difficulty with Whiskey, TOWM or our trails around Phoenix? I want to sign up wife for the 30, but probably won't if it's too technical.Read More »

The latest SCOOP on the NEXT GGR EVENT OCT 28TH!

Ladies! Please visit the blog site for info on the next ladies only..GGR event Oct 28th in Malibu! If you are not on our FB page, please go on the page and ask to be invited. Hope to see you there! This is a LADIES only FREE event! Blog site: [url=http://www.girlzgoneriding.com/]|[/url] FB p ... Read More »

How big is Stan's scoop?

I lost the scoop that comes with Stans but have some scoops from protein powder. The scoop holds 1/4 cup so I am wondering how many I should use for Captain tires 2 and 2.2?Read More »

Transition TR450, what's the scoop?

Looking at frames to upgrade from my 7Point in about a year and the 450 really has my attention. I have been riding the 7point since '09 and it's taught me a lot and been fine but I got it mostly due to the cheap price. As I've learned more and ridden more as well I realize that freeride isn't exact ... Read More »