Smith Sliders Sunlasses Eyewear

3.96/5 (113 Reviews)

Smith Sliders Sunlasses

Submitted by Lucius McKelvy a Cross Country Rider from Vallejo, Ca. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2005

Strengths:    Versatility. Lens are good for various conditions. Snug fit.

Weaknesses:    Easy to scratch lens when changing. Cause headaches.

Bottom Line:
Maybe I'm too sensitive when it comes to glasses, but I have difficulty finding a pair that doesn't cause dizziness. I really like the concept of these glasses, but I can't wear them on the trail for more than 5 minutes without getting sharp headaches. I have a pair of Oakley Eyejackets 2.0 and 3.0 and I'm fine with those, but they don't do well in the early morning or in heavily shaded areas. These seemed like great glasses, but just not for me. I don't know if other people have this problem. I highly suggest trying them out for a short ride before deciding to keep them for good.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Garden (Rockville)

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Oakley Eyejackets

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mtn. Edge

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2005

Strengths:    Interchangeable lenses. Minimal fogging. More conservative looking than Oakley's. Decent case providing protection and ability to hold extra lenses.

Weaknesses:    District 1 frames/lenses - in my view, the lenses slide out of the frame on their own. They jiggle around in the frame as well, as they are quite loose fitting.

Bottom Line:
I found that the District 1 lenses slid out of the frame on their own. I returned the first pair I bought from my LBS. We went through every pair of District 1 frames they had and they were all the same. They had one pair of District II frames which they swapped me straight across. In my view (and my view only), the District II frames/lenses (with the notch) are the way to go. I am much happier with them over the District I's.

Compared to my Oakley half jackets, I prefer my District II's for riding as they fog much much less. I can fit them in my full face helmet as well, whereas the arms on my Oakleys prevent that.

Favorite Trail:   Cox Hill

Similar Products Used:   Oakley half jackets.

Bike Setup:   Kona Bear, Kona Stinky Primo, Cannondale Cyclocross.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2005

Strengths:    Vey lightweight, don't slide down or fall off over bumps, 3 lenses

Weaknesses:    none other than I had to spend a little extra to get a set of clear lenses-mostly ride the copper lenses anyway

Bottom Line:
great deal for the cost, i'll never buy a one-lens set of shades again.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Similar Products Used:   Native, Oakley, Scott

Bike Setup:   03 Specialized Stumpjumper

Submitted by Spoker a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2004

Strengths:    good fit, good eye coverage

Weaknesses:    fog a little when stopped

Bottom Line:
Started out with some smaller lens Smiths but they fogged and let a little sun glare in the side -exchanged and bigger was better. Very well made frames, lens options cover all weather conditions.

Purchased At:   Dicks

Similar Products Used:   cheapos

Bike Setup:   Spec Epic

Submitted by Jeff Rolfenstien a Weekend Warrior from Dallas

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2004

Strengths:    The price. The clarity and the fit.

Weaknesses:    Hmmmm. None.

Bottom Line:
I think I've tried them all but won't spend my cash on anything but Smiths from now on. Have 4 pair. Sliders, toasters and some funky smoothies I won't wear on the Trail. Oakley is WAY too high priced these days. Their interchanges cost way more, don't fit my average sized head and their warranty dept screwed me. Native is just crap with a high price tag.

My Toasters are solid. I beat them up pretty bad and all I've ever had to do was tighten the earpieces by the frame. Smith cust serv said if it gets to be a bother no biggie-they have a life time warranty! I said "no way", the girl at Smith said "Way". This must be new cause my dealer told me they were one year warranty. Sticky rubber they use doesn't slip when sweating. Lens quality is top notch - no side distortion when hauling arse like two other high end pairs I wasted $$ on last year. (Some poor chump got to take those off my hands ebay style.) Honestly, for the money, I'd give them 6 chillys if I could.

Favorite Trail:   Cedar Hill

Purchased At:   St. Bernards

Similar Products Used:   Natives, Oakleys, Fau-kleys, Revo, Spy, Electric

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS XTC II. Set up for runnin' moonshine.

Submitted by George Bush a Cross Country Rider from Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2004

Strengths:    Look good in blue, interchangeable lenses are brilliant, do not slip too much. Lightweight they are.

Weaknesses:    Fogging in muggy MO, a little too flexy frames, stiff metal hinges. SOme lenses are too loose.

Bottom Line:
These glasses are worth the dough for their interchangeable lens deal-I get sunglasses, shooting glasses, dark-woods-riding glasses all in one. REI offers all the lenses for $20 a set. These are not perfect, but their simple styling doesn't make you feel like you are trying to attract attention. They work very well for biking. The case they come with is cheap, so I bought a Gregory accucase fro REI for 20 bucks-it looks cool and is very tough. Is big enough for spare lenses, too. Highly recommended. the slider 01s are a good purchase, but they can be had on sale for less than a C-note. Good they are.

Favorite Trail:   Castlewood

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Piece of junk cheapies. Too big, looked bugeyed, fogged like crazy.

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500, WTB Rocket V saddle, Serfas grips.

Submitted by cdawg a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2004

Strengths:    Easy to change lenses. Comfortable fit my narrow face..

Weaknesses:    Could make me look sexier..

Bottom Line:
SMith Voodoo's are what I'm talkin about here. Didn't see the option for that model? Anyway, bottom line? Fit good, work well and best of all good service!! Good reason to buy glasses from Smith....

Wed, 19 May 2004 13:42:33 -0600

Hey Clarence!
Your nose pads are in the mail today! To order a set of clear lenses you can call 1-800-635-4401 and ask for consumer services.
Thanks,
Smith Sport Optics

-----Original Message-----
Wednesday, May 19, 2004 1:04 PM

I lost the nose pad on my Smith Glasses after wearing them for about 6 months. They are black Smith Voodoo 's and are still in great shape but I haven't worn them for months 'cause of the nose pad thing. What do I have to do to get another set of nose pads or even just the left-hand side?

While I'm typing here, what does it cost for a set of clear lenses? My LBS dosen't have any.

Thanks,

Submitted by Tal Zimnavoda a Cross Country Rider from Jerusalem Israel

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2004

Strengths:    Fit

Weaknesses:    Design is not stable, lenses slip out or don't fit. Of the three lenses I eventually got from Smith for these framse only two sit properly without slipping out!

Bottom Line:
Do not go with Smith. Do not buy from Snow Leopard. Period.

(they do not honor their own policies of customer service nor do they ship the proper product). Which brings me to Smith themselves, from whom I had to acquire the remaining inventory of my on-line order which did not include the proper number of lenses (x3 come with these glasses): These people are not nice to deal with, they will not go an inch in customer service, they sent me the por quality lenses which do not fit my frames and they refused to send me the lenses directly. After all said and done they were not interested to hear that I waited months and spent 15.00 above the cost of the glasses to ship and recieve the replacement parts I should never have had to erplace (or pay extra for)

Oakley and Rayban are great companies to do business with (Arnett is Rayban)

Purchased At:   Snow Leopard Sports online

Similar Products Used:   Arnett-good product, Raybans--good product, Oakleys--good product, Julbo--bad product

Bike Setup:   XLT w/ Vanilla front & AVA R rear, Stylo SL crank, Ti mast & Nisene saddle, all other stock

Submitted by Danny DiSantis from Louisville, Kentucky

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2003

Strengths:    The ability to quickly change lens with the ever changing environment. Scratched lens, change it not the entire pair of glasses. Comfortable and they look good even on this 44 year old.

Weaknesses:    Cracked the frame changing the lens. Fog up easily, but respond well to "Cat Crap" lens cleaner anti-fog.

Bottom Line:
Good purchase, providing they honor a warranty for the cracked frame. It happened this morning, we will see. This product is good for the person who will be in and out of the shadows like a mountain biker rider. It is also great for the motorcyclist. I like the fact that if I scratch a lens I haven't wasted my glases. No problem with too much air around the eyes, not even on my motorcycle.

Purchased At:   Scheller's cycle and fittness

Similar Products Used:   gargoyles

Bike Setup:   Garry Fisher when I'm providing the horse power, otherwise it’s a BMW R1200CLC motorcycle.

Submitted by Darin a Cross Country Rider from W. Sacramento

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2003

Strengths:    Fit snug, don't slip when sweating, three sets of lense color options, light.

Weaknesses:    Just a little difficult changing lenses if you need to, thats it.

Bottom Line:
They shield the wind for me, and the yellow lenses illuminate shadows. I would recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   Clementine Loop

Purchased At:   Spokesman Santa Cruz

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2002

Strengths:    Light... three lenses included... interchangable lenses... stays put... pertecks your eyes.

Weaknesses:    Fit weird when not riding... fog when stopped.

Bottom Line:
VooDoo Sliders

After getting slapped in the eyeball on several consecutive rides, i plunked down and bought these glasses. When I was trying out the glasses, I noticed that many of the different brands fit weird on my face, but decided on these for there relatively small size. Gotta say, these fit nice when I'm riding and are hardly noticable. They seem to sit really low on the face but provide good ceverage when in the riding position. I have yet to feel dust or debris or any sort of rougue vegetation brushing my eyes. I haven't crash tested the lenses nor have I gone out of my way to ram my face into any hard objects that have the potential of shattering the lenses, but according to what I've read, the glasses are designed to keep shattering lenses from shooting back into the eye. That's good. I'll try to report back after having tested this feature assuming i can still read the screen and type on my own.

I was blessed enough to eat it nicely a couple of times and was surprised to find the glasses still snug on my face. In fact, contrary to the weird fit of the glasses, they stick to my face like random peices of culinary cuisine. Yes, even when crashing.

The only downsides to the glasses would be the fogging (only when you're stopped). Even in 95-degree weather, the lenses were fogging close to my cheek. Not really noticeable when you're flying through the woods tho.

Purchased At:   Sail and Ski

Similar Products Used:   Bolle

Bike Setup:   metal and plastic hunk o junk

Submitted by RJ Smart a Cross Country Rider from San Luis Obispo CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Strengths:    Love the available lens colors. Perfect for those foggy days after the rain. Rose lenses are really nice. Enjoy the ability to change lenses depending on light conditions. Durable frames. Comfortable and nice looking.

Weaknesses:    None. Lenses scratch relatively easy. but that is just sunglasses in general.

Bottom Line:
Best set of sunglasses and lens options around for right around $100. Very functional and stylish. I would rate a 90+/100. Rad colors available too.

Purchased At:   http://www.debonaireyes.com

Similar Products Used:   Dragon Rake Pro. Just tested them out. Like them too.

Submitted by Babushka a Weekend Warrior from Concord, CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap (at least I got them cheaply), come with a set of 3 lenses (brown, yellow, amber), flexible and hard to brake.

Weaknesses:    Big fogging problem. Amber lenses strain my eyes somewhat.

Bottom Line:
I basically ended up using the Smiths as just that - the sunglasses. Occasinally, I would lend them to one of my riding buddies - the one I really don't like. While wearing them, I don't have the feeling that I have true eye protection; wind gets in and the fogging in the cooler weather is severe.

Favorite Trail:   Rockville