Smith Moab Sunlasses Eyewear

4.4/5 (48 Reviews)

Smith Moab Sunlasses

Submitted by Chzyrider a Racer from Salem

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2008

Strengths:    Great wind protection

Weaknesses:    discontinued

Bottom Line:
These are great frames for situations where wind protection is needed with the Rx prescription inserts. I wish Smith would bring them back! No other goggle type sunglasses work as well.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Kaiser Permanente

Similar Products Used:   none that work as well

Bike Setup:   Street motorcycle: Harley-Davidson

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Henderson NV.

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2007

Strengths:    Original pair lasted me 8 years.
Great eye coverage.
Multiple lenses.

Weaknesses:    Not in production anymore, although they are still available if you know where to look.
Not as stylish as some newer designs, but then again they work better.

Bottom Line:
If you can find them on the web, they are still a great pair of practical shades.
They aren't fancy, but they work.
I bought another pair finally, via mail order, but I had to look all over.
They are a little lacking in style but they work great.

Favorite Trail:   Dirty ones...

Submitted by peter a Cross Country Rider from hiroshima

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Strengths:    3 interchangeable lenses (clear, bright orange/yellow and gray), durable, inexpensive, light, easy to repair, replace parts, as necessary

Weaknesses:    as with all plastic lenses, they are not immune to scratches, but I have had three pair for at least five years, shared by various members of the family for skiing, biking and beaching, and all are still quite excellent

Bottom Line:
For quality, cost, and multiple funcitionality, the Smith Moabs are the best deal going. Three lenses to choose from, easy to switch, relatively difficult to damage, light, and nice looking--a poor man's Oakley some will say, but it really is the choice of the wise man, rather than the prima donna. I have other pairs of sunglasses, but there will always be a place for these. I would put only the Serengetis above them in terms of lens quality (real polarized glass) and the Nike V Carbons (for slightly better overall coverage and a very nice hard case).

Purchased At:   store

Similar Products Used:   Nike V Carbon (the best), Oakley (M-frames, Golf and Lance Armstrong--all the absolute worst choices iin terms of quality versus cost), Serengeti (great for the car and around time), Carreras (nothing special), RayBans (used to like the sharp green lenses, now prefer the amber Serengetis)

Bike Setup:   Several, all carbon, including a Trek STP 400, a Giant MCM Limited and a Giant MCM Team

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from Larkspur, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    Great for keeping the wind off the eyes, less blinding tears.

Weaknesses:    The optional ODS Rx adapter too close to face causing eyelashes to make contact with the Rx lens.

Bottom Line:
These shades work fine to keep wind off the eyes and with 3 lenses to choose from, are versatile. The optional ODS system (ocular docking system) for mounting Rx lenses is the weakness. The shape of the adapter is kind of strange and does not seem to be designed for the Moab frame. I hope to be able to tweak the adapter frame so the Rx lens is further away from my eyes. Also, the thick frame on top is somewhat distracting and would be better if thinner. The fit is really quite good and I find it comfortable to wear even with the extra weight of the Rx lenses. (You may want to get the Rx lenses with the lightest material and with anti-reflection coating, as I did). I must admit that these shades are a lot better for cycling than wearing regular glasses.

Similar Products Used:   Regular Rx sunglasses and also regular glasses with photochromic lenses

Submitted by Roger Haferkamp a Cross Country Rider from Agoura Hills, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2001

Strengths:    Good price and fit. Nice case Stay put.

Weaknesses:    I lost the nosepiece ( MY weakness) and now I guess I'll have to buy another pair. A tad heavy but not too bad.

Bottom Line:
Good glasses, just wish I had gotten more use out of them,

Favorite Trail:   Cheeseborough

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Cheap knockoffs

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler

Submitted by Doug Franz a Cross Country Rider from Sumter, SC

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight
Good optics

Weaknesses:    Fit close to face
Optical docking system

Bottom Line:
Not a bad pair of glasses if you have good eyesight. Three interchangeable lenses for differenct lighting conditions. Price not bad. But, if your wear glasses, the ODS or optical docking system doesn't work well. It sits too close to your face and everytime I blinked, I felt my lashes rub up against the back of the lens. I used (use) the Performance Radial glasses with optical insert and they work OK but are big. As a cyclist and optometrist, I've finally realized though that if you wear glasses, the only solution for cycling glasses is to buy a pair of cycling specific frames that your Rx can go right into and buy a pair of photochomic lenses that change color based upon the lighting conditions. They make plastic photochromic materials now which are lighter than the glass lenses.

Favorite Trail:   Killer Three

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Performance Radial

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F-900

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Watertown, MA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight, sticks to your nose

Weaknesses:    Fogs when you stop, expensive

Bottom Line:
I have used these glasses for a couple of years and have few complaints. However, I think someone should respond to the review by DT below. This guy seems to work for an Oakley distributor, and his review is full of false information. He claims that Oakleys are "the only eyewear to pass the ASTM Z87.1 test" for optics. Well, there is no such standard. There is an ANSI Z87.1 and an ASTM F803 standard. These standards deal with impact resistance, not optics. The ANSI standard covers safety glasses and tests for ballistic impact (small high-speed flying objects), and the ASTM standard is for sports and covers incidents such as getting hit with a ball or racquet. You can buy safety glasses for $5 - $10 that conform to ANSI Z87.1 that will protect your eyes from rocks or tree branches as well as $70 or $150 cycling glasses. A lot of people I know buy the safety glasses and just throw them away if they break or get scratched up. When my Moabs go, I may do the same.

Favorite Trail:   'Nam

Purchased At:   Wheelworks

Bike Setup:   Frame, wheels, brakes, etc

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Stanford, CA

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2001

Strengths:    Great lens quality. Really brings out the edge contrast through their sienna brown and gold lite lenses.

Bottom Line:
Good product, great customer service. I broke the nose piece of my first set while switching lenses. Sent them in and got a brand new pair free. All thre lenses, new frame, the works. Absolutely the best customer service experience I've had with ANY company. Plus I love the lenses. Not real cool, but the HP has great protection and coverage. I even wear them when I ski over goggles, even when it's snowing. Great product. All sunglass compnies, however, are charging like a hundred buck for a product that costs them less than five for materials. But on the whole Smiths are cheaper than Oakleys or RayBans.

Favorite Trail:   slickrock, too bad it's not local

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Marin Bear Valley (steel), Judy XCs

Submitted by Barnaby a Cross Country Rider from Idaho Falls, ID

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2000

Strengths:    Reasonable price, high quality, with service after the sale, what a concept!!

Bottom Line:
I had these for over two years. The frames snapped at the temples early this summer, and I had been messing with alternatives, including Oakley (didn't fit right and the frames slid down my nose), and some other cheaper brands. I finally sent the frames in (the address is on the web site) and in a week I had a new pair in my mailbox. They were replaced free of charge!!

Great product, and it's nice to see a company that stands behind their product in such a hassle free way!

Favorite Trail:   Coyote Meadows, WY

Purchased At:   Can't remember

Similar Products Used:   Oakley

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll 3000SX

Submitted by V.Nguyen from Dallas

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2000

Strengths:    three lenses + case to hold it all
inexpensive yet good quality

Weaknesses:    none (though it doesn't look as cool as some over-priced ones)

Bottom Line:
I chose the Moab HP simply b/c it was of good quality and reasonably priced (it was on sale too). These glasses just happen to fit snugly around my face with good protection for the kind of riding I do and no looseness or discomfort after long rides. Sometimes, I ride late so being able to just snap on the clear lens is also great. I am a bit concerned about plastic and snapping (sooner or later something will break), but after a year of moderate usage, they are still great. I'm ready to retire all my other glasses b/c I also use these for yard work, driving, or anything else under the sun.

Similar Products Used:   Oakley, Ray Ban, generic

Bike Setup:   Aegis, KHS

Submitted by burning man a Weekend Warrior from L.A., CA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2000

Strengths:    prescription adapter

Weaknesses:    Heavy if you need a strong prescrip.

Bottom Line:
The prescription adapter works well but since the lens insert is somewhat teardrop shaped, they can get real thick (and heavy)at the outer edge. My face and eyelashes actually brush against the lenses. One optomitrist told me they can reduce the amount of teardrop to minimize that outer edge thickness. I will try this when I refill them. Everything else is great. I use them for skiing too. Polarized lenses are available special order.

Favorite Trail:   rock creek

Similar Products Used:   prescription sunglasses

Submitted by Gerry Sollner a Weekend Warrior from Winchester, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2000

Strengths:    Light, wrap-around protection, one of the few with clear lens standard, stay where you put them

Weaknesses:    The will fog lightly under severe conditions, but it's not been a problem.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for glasses that would keep the cold wind we have in New England from making my eyes water AND for clear lenses since I mostly ride before work, when it is dark in the fall and winter. These Smith Moabs did a great job on both fronts. The extra eye protection is also helpful for occasional low branches. I paid full retail and still consider them a bargain.

Favorite Trail:   Middlesex Fells

Bike Setup:   1998 Cannondale Super V 500, Specialized composite bar (light!)

Submitted by Eric W. a Cross-Country Rider from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: November 27, 1999

Strengths:
Doesn't budge, light, comfortable

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
These glasses don't budge no matter how hard I'm riding (or falling). Most of the time I forget I'm even wearing them. They come with 3 lenses and a carrying case too. Great optics and much cheaper than Oakleys. A great pair of glasses.

Cedar Hill

less than 1 month

Oakley, Performance

Schwinn Homegrown Elite, Judy SL, XTR/XT

Submitted by Brian a Cross-Country Rider from Arlington

Date Reviewed: August 30, 1999

Strengths:
Light
Cost
Mulitple Lenses

Bottom Line:
Great glasses for the price. I like the fact that the case holds all three lenses. They don't fog up very easily either. Everyone talks about how good Oakleys are, but at that price, I sure wouldn't wear them to ride around in. It is too bad Oakley has a strangle hold on their retailers and will never let their glasses go on sale, otherwise I might try them.

3 months

Gargoyle
Ray-Ban

Specialized Hard tail

Submitted by Rob Pigg a Weekend Warrior from Lexington, SC

Date Reviewed: May 25, 1999

Strengths:
They do a good job staying on the face and have deflected many branches and rocks thus far. I ride with the optical insert, and for the money it is definitely the best deal around!! Sweat runoff can be a problem, soemwhat, but cleaningis no problem on the trail.

Weaknesses:
A wick-Away pad at the top might help deflect some of the sweat runoff between the lens and the optical insert.

Bottom Line:
Great deal for the budget minded. The amber lens is the best for all-around conditions. They are not prescription Oakleys, but hey, I can buy 4sets of these for the same price as one pair of Oakley's---and get more lenses at the same time. Very Good purchase for me.

Turkey Creek

1 Year

Good old fashioned prescription eyeglasses with a strap----NO COMPARISON!

Fisher