Smith MAINLINE Eyewear

4.63/5 (19 Reviews)

Patented, interchangeable lens technology. (US Patent #5,602,603) Each Slider includes Sienna Brown, Gold Lite and Yellow lens sets Replacement lenses: Rose, Green, Clear, Platinum Mirror, Gray Polarized, Brown Polarized Wrap frames minimize the effects of wind, snow and glare 8 base and 9 base lenses equipped with Tapered Lens Technology 100% UV protection Comfortable, durable Grilamid frames Hydrophilic Megol nosepads provide less slippage and more grippage Rugged, resilient stainless steel hinges 9 base lenses equipped with Tapered Lens Technology All lenses provide 100% UV protection.

Submitted by valiant1974 a Weekend Warrior from Norfolk, NE

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, comfortable, good range of vision, removable lenses

Bottom Line:
This is the best pair of sunglasses I've ever owned. I have been using these glasses for almost five years now. I like the removable lenses although I have only used the amber lenses since purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim-Moab, UT

Purchased At:   Sierra Trading Post

Similar Products Used:   Spy, Rayban, Oakley, Smith

Bike Setup:   2009 Cannondale F29 2
2007 Cannondale Rush 5
2000 Cannondale F2000 SL
1993 Cannondale M800 "Beast of the East"

Submitted by Cadillac a Weekend Warrior from Marietta, GA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2008

Strengths:    Multi-Lens System, Polarized, light-weight, durable, SUPERIOR SMITH LIFETIME WARRANTY

Weaknesses:    Rubber on the ear pieces don't like croakies.

Bottom Line:
You need to buy these if you can find them. I mean there are three lenses to select from with dark, amber, and like a maroon color to suit your need. They are large lenses so they fit your fat head and google eyes, and if you break them (i.e. dog doesn't chew them) Smith warranty kicks in.

Wonderful American product!

Favorite Trail:   Lately? Sope Creek/Cochrane Shoals

Purchased At:   REI, San Carlos, CA

Similar Products Used:   Oakley Blades, Bolle Anaconda, others

Bike Setup:   Full squishy Marin Quad

Submitted by Rick Korzekwa a Cross Country Rider from Los Alamos, NM USA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, durable, the amber lenses give good contrast while still reducing eye strain even in full sunlight, good coverage for glare/dirt/rain/whatever, easily replaceable lenses, come with yellow lenses for darker conditions

Weaknesses:    I think they look a little funny. If the lenses get scratched they are expensive to replace.

Bottom Line:
These are great sunglasses, especially for the price. If you're riding through rain or some other crap and it's dark you can swap out for the yellow lenses. They are very lightweight and stay put on your face. The lenses hold up well to abuse. I've been using them for over five years now with them around my neck most of the time. They get food, dirt, etc on them all the time, I use my t-shirt to keep them clean and rarely put them in my glasses case, but the lenses are still (barely) tolerable.

I don't think Smith still makes these, but if you can find them, they are good for anyone not too concerned about appearance but who wants some flexible, no-nonsense eyeware for almost any outdoor activity.

Favorite Trail:   anything with a lot of vertical

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Smith Buzzsaw, cheap (<$25) sunglasses.

Submitted by Dan Porat a Cross Country Rider from Kefar Saba , Israel

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2007

Strengths:    lightweight ,looks good , cheap , great visibility.
Great product as long as you don't take part in any sport activity with it

Weaknesses:    All i could see while riding is fog. had to stop every 2 seconds to wipe of my eyes and the lens... and that wasn't even in the high time of the summer!!!!

Bottom Line:
NOT FOR SPORTS!!!

Similar Products Used:   rudy project ekynox

Submitted by Bubba a Cross Country Rider from Bradenton

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Strengths:    The best thing about these glasses are the easy lense changes. These glasses fit to your head like a second skin. I have the polorized grey and orange lenses so I paid a little more. I have had these glasses for a while and have put them through rigorous abuse and they have taken it like a man!

Weaknesses:    The only thing bad I can say about these glasses is that there is no venting on the frame or in the lenses for air to stop fogging. I have Smith goggles too that come with adjustable venting that would be great for their everyday eyewear. Fog easily in steamy conditions especially in FL in the summer!!!

Bottom Line:
For as much as I paid I think they could definitely use a decent venting system. As far as fit, and vision, I give them an A.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia River State Park

Similar Products Used:   Oakley jacket

Bike Setup:   Marin nail trail. lx rr der. and deore on the rest. Axel fork with firm spring. Great bike!

Submitted by Jimbo a Downhiller from London, UK

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2004

Strengths:    Great fit, don't steam up too badly, easy lens change, comfy, robust, excellent vision through them, especially the yellow and clear lenses.

Weaknesses:    None found yet, except Customs charged me a fortune on them, the freakers.

Bottom Line:
Off road these have been great, but the real test of bike glasses is in town. I do 12 miles a day through horrible, wet, traffic infested central London, and these things are outstanding. They work brilliantly, unlike the far more expensive Oakleys I've tried. Can't reccomend them enough. get on them.

Favorite Trail:   Couple of belters in Big Sur, CA.

Purchased At:   Sports Vision Bend (.com)

Similar Products Used:   Oakley

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2004

Strengths:    coverage, great lens colors,rather stylish

Weaknesses:    a little fidgety changing lenses out, but no major problem

Bottom Line:
GREAT shades. The three lenses all have their place, but I prefer the "middle" lens, gold lite I believe it's called...although the yellow ones do very well in thick singletrack and/or low light. The lenses are almost freakishly big, but in my function-over-form world, they are great. And they look pretty good once you get used to the size of them. Nice, simple design, and they've been super durable so far. Definitely recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the Ground

Purchased At:   sbcoutlet

Similar Products Used:   Rudy Project Kerosene,Spy Micro Scoop

Bike Setup:   SW Epic

Submitted by Brent E Merritt a Weekend Warrior from Missoula

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2004

Strengths:    Good wind protection, I wear contacts so that's a big deal for me.
Amber and yellow lenses are great in low light conditions, really enhance your vision.
Large frames don't obstruct vision ala slider 01's.

Weaknesses:    I don't change lenses all that often, but they seem to scratch easily.

Bottom Line:
Felt kind of freakish wearing these at first 'cause they're so big, but after the first ride I really liked the Mainlines. They kept the wind out of my eyes really well during downhills. Like I said earlier, that's a big deal if you wear contacts. They do fog on long slow climbs, but every pair of shades I've ever worn will do that. Who should buy them? If you have problems with wind causing your eyes to water up and you ride in changing light conditions and don't want to buy multiple pairs of shades, buy Smith Mainlines. I'm giving these 5 chilis all around b/c in the last year I've had no problems with these and the fogging isn't really Smiths fault.

Purchased At:   Bob Wards

Similar Products Used:   Smith slider 01's that got stolen thankfully. The frames were too small, resulted in poor peripheral vision, annoying.

Bike Setup:   '97 Schwinn Moab 1

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Los Gatos, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2003

Strengths:    tough frame, lens choices

Weaknesses:    ???

Bottom Line:
These glasses kick ass! I bought the new DB12 lens set up, a cool blue mirror that also comes with RC36-rose lenses and yellow lenses. I use the RC lens for most trail riding and they reallly work well. The mirror lens is great in the sun. I have found that using a no-fog cloth to wipe the inside of the lenses makes a huge difference on slow climbs or stopping. I'm stoked, Smith replace my last pair when I broke them so I'm not afraid to abuse these things.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   palo alto bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Oakleys, spys

Bike Setup:   The way I like it

Submitted by Roger Hammond a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2003

Strengths:    Great set of glasses...very light...great field of vision

Weaknesses:    The arms (when folded) touch the insides of the lens and you end up with a fuzzy blind spot on lower left & right of field of vision. Brand support is woeful in this country and I'm having a hell of a time trying to find replacement lenses.

Bottom Line:
Great!...Just give me some more lenses DAMMIT!

Favorite Trail:   howqua

Purchased At:   Surf Dive & Ski South Yarra

Similar Products Used:   Oakley (= no field of vision!), RayBan Baloramas...bulletproof motorbiker glasses.

Bike Setup:   with kiddy seat on back =)

Submitted by David Fambrough from PLANO, TEXAS

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2002

Strengths:    CHANGEABLE LENS FOR DIFFERENT LIGHT CONDITIONS
STRONG FRAMES
COMFORTABLE FIT
GOOD VISION

Weaknesses:    ON REALLY ROUGH RIDES THEY CAN SLIP A LITTLE
LENS CAN FOG

Bottom Line:
GREAT SHADES. REALLY LIKE THE ORANGE/YELLOW LENS FOR LOWER LIGHT CONDITIONS IN THE WOODS.

Favorite Trail:   DORBA.ORG

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Kaanan Krueger from DePere, Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2002

Strengths:    These are probabley the most stylish shades I have ever owned. I did'nt pay too muck for them either. I know this is a mouantin bike website but I skateboard and there good for that too. They wrap around my head to keep wind and flying debris out. They come with three diffrent color lenses (brown, orange, yellow) for diffrent amounts of light. Weather there for biking, skateboarding, or just walking around i would recomend these for anyone

Weaknesses:    When you change the lenses a lot the outsides get scratched, but on the upside there on $20 for replacement lenses.

Bottom Line:
great glasses, great lenses, great value. Stylish, strong, and they will fit youre face nicley.

Favorite Trail:   fox river trail

Purchased At:   The Bike Hub

Similar Products Used:   anarchey, oakley

Bike Setup:   dyno nfx

Submitted by mike from lansing, mi

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2002

Strengths:    Bomber frames, dont squeeze my head. Nice to have different lenses, and be able to replace them myself, rather than send them in to manufacturer every time they need replaced *ahem, oakley*. Especially when I can damn well do it myself.

Weaknesses:    lenses are easy to lose when you drive a jeep. Arms will scratch inside of lenses when folded in, and stored. One screw falls out of the arm every few months. Just keep putting it back in.

Bottom Line:
Get them. Wear them. Love them.
As far as I am concerned, they are the best deal out there right now.

Favorite Trail:   burchfield park

Purchased At:   sunglass hut

Similar Products Used:   oakley's, gas station glasses, safety glasses, anderson windows.

Bike Setup:   '01 Trek 8500

Submitted by Lugnuts from maine

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Strengths:    wide array of lenses to choose from. simple yet elegant.

Weaknesses:    lenses tend to get scratches around the edges from changing. But you can always get new lenses for pretty cheap.

Bottom Line:
I'm on my fourth pair of sliders in about three or four years now. One pair was "borrowed" by a "friend", the other i needed quick cash and sold, and I've still got two pairs left. I love 'em. I highly recomend the brown polarized, the clear, and the pink lenses.

One word of advice, try them on first. they don't fit everyones noggin. But if they do dit, you're lovin' life.

Favorite Trail:   fast